12/06/2023: Localization News - Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria!!!

OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Hack wanted: Altered Beast

Started by nat, 06/07/2008, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

nat

I was just thinking today how it might be kind of cool if someone could hack the Altered Beast cartridge ROM to use SELECT as a duplicate Jump button. That way people with three button pads could use Button III for jumping instead of pressing UP on the D-pad.

What would be even cooler is if all the buttons were changed, so that Button I could be jump, and Button II and III (SELECT) would be the punch and kick attacks.

I'm no coder so I have no idea how much work this might involve, but it'd be a neat project. I'd certainly use the resulting ROM on my flash cart to play the game on my system.

Turbo D

thats a good idea nat! I've often fantasized about a 3 button pce altered beast.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

If its feasible, its a good idea and something I thought I wanted for a long time. But after playing through the arcade and Genesis versions recently, I actually prefer pressing Up to jump. I probably wouldn't if SFII had never come along, but now I'm glad the control scheme is the way it is.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

Yeah, it's not a big deal, I don't mind pressing UP to jump. I'm simply obsessed with my three button Turbo pad and love to think of any new ways I can to utilize it.

I'm surprised one of our resident dev geniuses hasn't commented on the feasibility of this yet.

CrackTiger

If its possible, I'd like to see SFIICE updated to remove PAUSE and instead use 3 punches or kicks at a time on a 2 button pad.

Any other games that could use some button swapping?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TurboXray

I'll look into it if no one else is. I got some time this week.

Keranu

I think this would be a cool hack, even for normal two-button pads for us people who don't mind using the select button as a third action button. I don't think it would make the jumping feel a whole lot better in game though because the jumping mechanics in Altered Beast are pretty clunky to begin with, but it would still feel convient.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

QuoteI can't access pcfx site or the forums from this hotel, so here's the link to the hacked Altered Beast rom -
http://pcedev.net/altered_beast/Jyuohki_hack_T_.zip

I tested it out and Select is indeed used for jump now and pressing directly up does nothing. Regardless of how easy or hard it might have been, that's some pretty impressive turn around time. =D>
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

Awesome. I'll try it tonight. Hopefully he can get back on here later and tell us how difficulty (or easy) it was.

TurboXray

Back from my trip. It took about 10-15mins to locate the code and change one variable. I got lucky  :wink:

Keranu

I like how he did it in a hotel room too.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineHell

Make  a custom altered Beast arcade stick which sets "up" as a third action button for jump. There,problem solved :P

atr3yu

Does anyone know how to do this and could maybe share with the rest of us, I know I can't wait to try this out!!!! Anyone plz help  ](*,)

TurboXray

Do what? The link to the game is in B_T's post, but I'll repost it.
http://pcedev.net/altered_beast/Jyuohki_hack_T_.zip

atr3yu

For some reason it doesn't sow up fpr me in Firefox but your does.  :-k Thanks!!