10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

J B Harold Murder club

Started by wolfman, 02/07/2014, 07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Does someone here know if the jap and us version are identical? Afaik there is an option in the us version to choose the language, but is that the same for the japanese version?
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

wolfman

Okay, thanks for the tip. Tried a ROM - its completely japanese unfortunately. Would stay away from buying it now -thats why I was asking.
CryptoCoin Warrior

majors

JB Harold has options to change the txt and voice both to English. It defaults to JP/JP so you need to navigate blind to find them, but it's not that hard.

I have a Japanese JB Harold that I got for cheap years ago b/c the seller thought it was missing a 2nd disc(case is fat) and he was not aware of the language options.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

GohanX

That's good to know, I might pick up a cheap Japanese copy then to check it out.

SuperDeadite

Riverhill Soft seemed to like experimenting with English.  The X68K and FM Towns versions of Murder Club are also in full English (and have improved graphics), but those computers weren't even sold outside of Japan...
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

wolfman

Quote from: majors on 02/07/2014, 09:47 AMJB Harold has options to change the txt and voice both to English. It defaults to JP/JP so you need to navigate blind to find them, but it's not that hard.

I have a Japanese JB Harold that I got for cheap years ago b/c the seller thought it was missing a 2nd disc(case is fat) and he was not aware of the language options.
Ok, I opened up another thread for that.
CryptoCoin Warrior

CrackTiger

Quote from: majors on 02/07/2014, 09:47 AMJB Harold has options to change the txt and voice both to English. It defaults to JP/JP so you need to navigate blind to find them, but it's not that hard.

Pro-Tip: There are no 2-disc PCE games. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 02/07/2014, 11:01 AMRiverhill Soft seemed to like experimenting with English.  The X68K and FM Towns versions of Murder Club are also in full English (and have improved graphics), but those computers weren't even sold outside of Japan...
Waaaaa??? JB Harold Murder Club on the X68K? I MUST PLAY THIS!!!!!!!!

SuperDeadite

I did a capture of the FM Towns version a long time ago.  The X68K one is exactly the same, except the Towns version uses some CD Audio in parts and has MIDI support.  While X68K is pure FM only.  If you want to play the X version, you will have to write it to floppies, it can't be run off HDD/Flash as it uses weirdo disk structure.

[FM-Towns] J. B. Harold Murder Club DX MIDI SC-55MkII

Joe Redifer

Interesting. Some of the text seems clipped for some reason(the bottom or top of the letters are gone, etc). I definitely like the music in the Turbo version much more (especially the Investigation Rest theme). I mean the sound quality is better here but the music itself is kind of boring. Granted I usually turn the Turbo music off and play in silence as it gets repetitive after a bit. The graphics here are nice and aside from the clipping I think the text looks nicer as well. It looks to me like it would be easier/faster to play with a control pad than a mouse. Thanks for posting!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/08/2014, 02:42 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 02/07/2014, 11:01 AMRiverhill Soft seemed to like experimenting with English.  The X68K and FM Towns versions of Murder Club are also in full English (and have improved graphics), but those computers weren't even sold outside of Japan...
Left that out of your game sack review huh? :)

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/08/2014, 03:17 PMInteresting. Some of the text seems clipped for some reason(the bottom or top of the letters are gone, etc). I definitely like the music in the Turbo version much more (especially the Investigation Rest theme). I mean the sound quality is better here but the music itself is kind of boring. Granted I usually turn the Turbo music off and play in silence as it gets repetitive after a bit. The graphics here are nice and aside from the clipping I think the text looks nicer as well. It looks to me like it would be easier/faster to play with a control pad than a mouse. Thanks for posting!
Text clipping is caused by the old down scaler I used to record the video with, the real game doesn't have this issue.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 02/08/2014, 03:20 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/08/2014, 02:42 AM
Left that out of your game sack review huh? :)
Gotta save room for a part 2! ;)