10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Rendering Ranger (snes)

Started by PukeSter, 07/17/2016, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PukeSter

Anybody play this? I beat it today and I love it. It's by Manfred Trenz, creator of Turrican.

It's half turrican and half thunderforce. And there are tons of sprites with zero slowdown, with no extra hardware chips. The game was programmed entirely in assembly.

It's a shame as the game has a reputation for being horribly difficult, but it's actually very fair. Definitely give it a shot.  8)

Pro Tip: You change change the speed of your ship by pressing select. Necessary for the Speed Tunnel level

esteban

I played it a billion years ago (10-15 years) when all the shootemup fans were discovering all the SHMUPS (joking!) that we never owned/knew about BITD.

I should check it out... along with Firepower 3000 and some other SNES shootemups I haven't played in forevers and evers...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Never heard of it. Where'd you get the info that it was entirely programmed in assembly BTW ?

CrackTiger

Was disappointed after the hype, but it's a neat tech demo. Feels like a couple incomplete games slapped together. Defeats the point of using pre-rendered cgi when it is painfully under animated for a 16/8-bit game (most enemies have no animation). It's also poirly optimized for sprites and is kinda like a posterchild for the SNES 2-size sprite limit. Makes good use of tile layering though. I believe that there is a bit of slowdown, but avoiding it isn't much of anchievement when the entire game moves painfully slow.

It's kinda like Lords and Gate of Thunder in that there's quite a bit of theatrics in how things are presented. In RRR2, it uses misdirection to make you believe way more is happening than actually is. Like scrolling the background fast, but the sprites still move at the same slow speed.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

sirhcman

Quote from: PukeSter on 07/17/2016, 11:34 PMIt's a shame as the game has a reputation for being horribly difficult, but it's actually very fair. Definitely give it a shot.  8)
Getting my SNES setup this week so I will give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation luke!

PukeSter

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/18/2016, 01:39 AMNever heard of it. Where'd you get the info that it was entirely programmed in assembly BTW ?
http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0156

Pretty cool interview. May or may not have been entirely in assembly, but a significant amount at least.

Just like Yoshi's Island, the success of Donkey Kong Country forced Manfred Trenz to change the art style.

It was also supposed to be only a shooter, but the Turrican levels were added in later. Personally I prefer the shooter levels.

sirhcman

Quote from: PukeSter on 07/18/2016, 10:24 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 07/18/2016, 01:39 AMNever heard of it. Where'd you get the info that it was entirely programmed in assembly BTW ?

Pretty cool interview. May or may not have been entirely in assembly, but a significant amount at least.

Just like Yoshi's Island, the success of Donkey Kong Country forced Manfred Trenz to change the art style.

It was also supposed to be only a shooter, but the Turrican levels were added in later. Personally I prefer the shooter levels.
Very interesting. So does this game utilize a special cartridge chip to run? Will I be able to load the rom onto my SNES PowerPak?

PukeSter

Quote from: guest on 07/18/2016, 10:29 AM

Very interesting. So does this game utilize a special cartridge chip to run? Will I be able to load the rom onto my SNES PowerPak?
No special hardware! I have the game on my Everdrive.

Super Turrican 2 also runs, but I have not tried that game.

If you just got your SNES, I'd also recommend Ninja Warriors, Super Genjin (Bonk) 2, Goemon 2 and Zenki Battle Raiden as awesome but overlooked games to play.

Otaking

Quote from: PukeSter on 07/18/2016, 10:40 AMIf you just got your SNES, I'd also recommend Ninja Warriors, Super Genjin (Bonk) 2, Goemon 2 and Zenki Battle Raiden as awesome but overlooked games to play.
Some great games recommened by Lukester.
I just love the Super Famicom (Snes) so much, so many great games, it's my favourite system of all time.
I'm super pissed I sold up nearly all my SFC collection a few years back and now I flat out refuse to pay the current going rates for the games, it's just gone insane.
Of all the different games systems I by a long way want there to be a price crash on the SFC market. If there was I'd immediately go out and buy back all my games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

NightWolve

Gentlegamer

A numbered limited edition bootleg of Targa, the unreleased NA version, was produced and promoted at NA.

Great shooter that shows how important the human factor is when programming a game.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

csgx1

Quote from: guest on 07/18/2016, 10:29 AMVery interesting. So does this game utilize a special cartridge chip to run? Will I be able to load the rom onto my SNES PowerPak?
I have a SNES Powerpak and it plays fine when I played it a few years ago.

I like the hybrid style and variety throughout.  I don't think I ever beat it but I remember it being a long game with quite a few stages.  I'll have to revisit it when I get a chance. 

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 07/18/2016, 10:29 AM

It runs on pure SNES power.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

bartre

I've always felt that the game was ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
but then again, it's snes.
there's all of a dozen games that I really care for on that system.

VenomMacbeth

I love run & guns and always thought this game LOOKED cool...but not cool enough to pony up for an official copy & not interesting enough to me to warrant a repro.  I need a flash cart -.-
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!