10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

So, anyone on here get these?

Started by mitsuman, 03/14/2015, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickcris

Those are pretty neat.  Cant believe they left the power to that console on this whole time!

CrackTiger

Easy way to make a lot of money fast. Will not be surprised to soon see many more rare promo items surface on eBay.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

With zero provenance I honestly wouldn't pay a dime for either of those.
IMG

ToyMachine78

I'm with zeta. It would not be difficult nor expensive to fabricate those.

TurboGrafx

They are cool if they are legit.

mitsuman

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/15/2015, 10:17 AMWith zero provenance I honestly wouldn't pay a dime for either of those.
Yup, that's why I kept my bids low.
If I won the hucard holder thing, I was going to raffle it off here.

EvilEvoIX

This looks like someone just went to a local trophy store and asked for a plexiglass box and the cheapest engraving possible.  I mean a Keith Courage game in a stupid block?  How are people falling for this shit?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

esteban

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/15/2015, 12:29 PMThis looks like someone just went to a local trophy store and asked for a plexiglass box and the cheapest engraving possible.  I mean a Keith Courage game in a stupid block?  How are people falling for this shit?
If it is real, I would love to have one. However, I am not willing to spend $$$ on anything. Especially unverified stuff.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jperryss

Quote from: esteban on 03/15/2015, 01:04 PMIf it is real, I would love to have one. However, I am not willing to spend $$$ on anything. Especially unverified stuff.
Not to worry. I'm sure the next one that is "found" will be VGA graded with a BIN of $5K.

GoldenWheels

Huh. The system piece is neat, if real. I'm not Columbo or anything but if you look at the pic of the underside of the plaque, it does look like some pretty old glue.

wildfruit

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/15/2015, 10:17 AMWith zero provenance I honestly wouldn't pay a dime for either of those.
I thought exactly the same thing. Though less eloquently.

Phase

Someone should contact the dude, see what his story is.

DragonmasterDan

A former poster on this site DreamTR was at one point in possession of the first off the production line TurboGrafx16. Depending on the history of this item, I wouldn't be surprised if this were real.
--DragonmasterDan

LostFlunky

Quote from: Phase on 03/15/2015, 01:34 PMSomeone should contact the dude, see what his story is.
Too bad the turbo list archive is down, I am pretty sure he was active on there 15 years ago.  He programmed a Pac Man clone in HuC called Krunch back around 2000...

cr8zykuban0

I kinda wonder the back story of those items. are they one of the very first produced if its kind? are they prototypes?

hmmmmm.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/15/2015, 12:29 PMThis looks like someone just went to a local trophy store and asked for a plexiglass box and the cheapest engraving possible.  I mean a Keith Courage game in a stupid block?  How are people falling for this shit?
If they were real, that's probably exactly what they'd do. That's why provenance is key. There is no real difference between "real" and "fake" with items like this so you have to have a complete history.

I think they look perfectly real, or perfectly fake. Either way.

I like how the seller basically prepares the bidders to see a wave of identical "first" TG-16s. If 100 more of these show up next month he can just say, "Hey, I warned you."

If they were real then they were a good buy, IMO. If fake, probably nobody will ever know. But who needs ANOTHER copy of Keith?
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 03/15/2015, 02:19 PMI kinda wonder the back story of those items. are they one of the very first produced if its kind? are they prototypes?

hmmmmm.
A "prototype" is generally something aimed for mass production at a later date. As far as I know NEC never released an unusable TG16 entombed in plastic so I think we can rule out prototype.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/15/2015, 02:53 PM
If they were real, that's probably exactly what they'd do. That's why provenance is key. There is no real difference between "real" and "fake" with items like this so you have to have a complete history.

I think they look perfectly real, or perfectly fake. Either way.

I like how the seller basically prepares the bidders to see a wave of identical "first" TG-16s. If 100 more of these show up next month he can just say, "Hey, I warned you."

If they were real then they were a good buy, IMO. If fake, probably nobody will ever know. But who needs ANOTHER copy of Keith?
I would totally love a copy of Keith if I knew it sat next to a "Turbo Veteran" --ha!

Also, something had to be done with all the extra HuCARD's lying around :)

Actually, I feel that we should copy this idea and make some silly awards in the same style.

OR MAYBE A ICE CRYSTAL-ESQUE DISPLAY for HuCARD's reminiscent of Krypton in Superman 1970's.

Plexiglass glows...HuCARD's look awesome...

LostFlunky

Quote from: esteban on 03/15/2015, 03:25 PMI would totally love a copy of Keith if I knew it sat next to a "Turbo Veteran" --ha!

Also, something had to be done with all the extra HuCARD's lying around :)

Actually, I feel that we should copy this idea and make some silly awards in the same style.

OR MAYBE A ICE CRYSTAL-ESQUE DISPLAY for HuCARD's reminiscent of Krypton in Superman 1970's.

Plexiglass glows...HuCARD's look awesome...
Now if we could just find a Nazi to make them for us....

esteban

Hahaahhahahahahahahaha. Nazi + plexiglass = TG-16 logo on plexiglass.

Oh, the insanity of that debacle.

NecroPhile

The SN sticker sure looks like it's be applied atop another sticker.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jelloslug

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/16/2015, 12:10 PMThe SN sticker sure looks like it's be applied atop another sticker.
It sure does. 

BigusSchmuck

Butt crack smoke, lots and lots of butt crack.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2015, 02:52 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/16/2015, 12:10 PMThe SN sticker sure looks like it's be applied atop another sticker.
It sure does.
I wish the image was better quality.

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2015, 12:10 PMThe SN sticker sure looks like it's be applied atop another sticker.
Lol! Of all the nincompoop type things to mess up! 

Rule #1 of faking a serial # label, take the old one off first!

This almost makes me think it is real.  Who would be so brazen and stupid to fake something like that so badly...

wildfruit

bob

Quote from: wildfruit on 04/15/2015, 05:53 PMThe buyer has revealed themselves
https://mobile.twitter.com/stevenplin
Holy fuck. Some judge should rule that this guy not be allowed within 100 feet of the internet.

PCEngineHell

I kinda kept quiet on this, because I don't like outright accusing anyone of fraud with no legit proof of some kind to work with. But as is, my understanding is that only Keith Schaefer was issued a Keith Courage TurboTeam Veteran piece. His was also the first Keith card made. It was a lighter blue I do believe, and "Keith Courage" name was yellowish in color, and the "Turbo Team Veteran" logo was in a lower position on the base. I have a pic of it in a book somewhere here.

I think it's that High Score! book I have put away in a closet that has a pic of it. I mean it is possible that they gave out more of them, sure. But the only one I ever saw was of the one given to Keith Schaefer, and as is I would assume the one in the auction was a fake inspired by the one shown in my book, unless a prior NEC employee comes forward to confirm it was theirs or something.

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/16/2015, 04:28 PMLol! Of all the nincompoop type things to mess up! 

Rule #1 of faking a serial # label, take the old one off first!

This almost makes me think it is real.  Who would be so brazen and stupid to fake something like that so badly...
Dion Dakis and Chris R of NeoGeo Freaks?

dallaspattern

How the heck did you find this dude on twitter?!

esteban

I don't know what to make of any of this, except that the best thing to do with loose copies of Keith Courage is to display them in plexiglass TurboTeam stands.

SignOfZeta

I wish I had the time to waste manufacturing these stupid things by the dozen and totally tanking the value of the original with it.
IMG

DreamTR

I know this is long old, but that was the first production Turbo Grafx unit. It was given to the owner of TZD when he was working at TTI personally. When TZD sold their inventory I was able to purchase the #1 unit and a bunch of rare counselor strategy game player guides (like Nintendo's service center used) and a giant Bonk among other things.

I sold the #1 TG to the ebay seller, I can tell you he lost a lot of money on this because he didn't buy it from me at the price it sold for.

Either way, I hope this help's for posterity's sake. I also had some Turbo Grafx protos (a bunch) over the years but most of them have been purchased by one buyer over the years.

HailingTheThings

IMG

esteban

Quote from: DreamTR on 03/20/2017, 01:14 AMI know this is long old, but that was the first production Turbo Grafx unit. It was given to the owner of TZD when he was working at TTI personally. When TZD sold their inventory I was able to purchase the #1 unit and a bunch of rare counselor strategy game player guides (like Nintendo's service center used) and a giant Bonk among other things.

I sold the #1 TG to the ebay seller, I can tell you he lost a lot of money on this because he didn't buy it from me at the price it sold for.

Either way, I hope this help's for posterity's sake. I also had some Turbo Grafx protos (a bunch) over the years but most of them have been purchased by one buyer over the years.
I just want to echo everything Nulltard said: MOAR PLEASE.

We are very eager to hear anything you can share with us.

Thank you.

:)