RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Why do you keep your gaming collection?

Started by PCEngineFX, 01/14/2009, 06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

When I was younger, I was into gaming so much that I lied, cheated and stealed to get the games/consoles I wanted.  Now that I've grown up... own my own house...married for 5+ years... I really find myself not as much into games as I would like to be and have wondered why I keep my gaming collection when it just sits there taking up space.  I have about 20 various consoles and hundreds of games in a room collecting dust and wanted to know why some of you keep your collection....

Memories?
Nostalgia?
Resell value?

I'm finding myself wanting other things in life these days and although games will always be part of who I am, I'm starting to question why I'm still holding on to my collection.
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/14/2009, 06:27 PMI'm finding myself wanting other things in life these days and although games will always be part of who I am, I'm starting to question why I'm still holding on to my collection.
D: don't do it, man, you'll regret it! look at what happened to Turbostar!

Joe Redifer

For me it is mostly nostalgia.  But I really do like to pull games down and play them from time to time.  If I sold them all, I could score a large chunk of change... but that would be a one-time cash-in... kind of like robbing a bank.  Once I spent that money, then it's gone.  I don't really need a large chunk o' change right now, personally.  And what happens when I want to play the games again?  ROMs?  No thanks.

But hey, people change.

Turbo D

Joe is right, there is no magic in roms. I keep my game collection because it brings me joy. It represents excitement. When I was young and I first played video games, it was so new and exciting (like getting laid, lol.) There were always new mysterious games that had their own charm that let me escape into a magical fantasy adventure. I guess in a way it is kind of like the playstation advertisement; "Live in your world, play in ours" or something like that. You can always use video games to escape to a simpler time, a reminiscence of your childhood if you may. A time when your imagination would make a game for the nes seem so real! If you decide to sell your collection, I will not look down on you. Everyone deals with life in different ways. I do think that you would regret it at some point as it has been such a large part of your life for so long. However, it may be something you need to do in order to excel in you life and truly be happy. Some believe that you can only be happy when you need no material possessions. It is something that I myself have pondered over for quite sometime. Do know that you have many friends here that will remain your friends whether you have an immaculate gaming collection or not. :)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

td741

I keep most of my stuff because I know the minute I get rid of them all, I'll regret it.  (Which is speaking from past experience)

My gaming tends to be mostly in binges (typically during the XMas work shutdown) and I like being able to pull out anything if I feel a little bit nostalgic and play it.

To save space: all of the game boxes are in storage.  
-Carts sit bare on a shelf.  
-Overly large CD cases are put in storage and replaced with slim-cd cases.  (I'm thinking of buying a bunch of slim DVD cases in bulk for the DVD-based systems)
-Instructions manuals sit in a pile should I need to read them (hah!)

I've changed from having all of my systems hooked up to only a few with the added bonus of having easily accessible wires that I can use to connect any other system without having to hunt behind the TV.

PCEngineFX

Thanks guys for your responses so far... really makes me think.

I feel like I have a heavy responsibility at least to my TG/PCE/PC-FX collection due to running pcengine-fx.com as I feel it is my job to keep the community going.... and some of the games in my TG collection have been given to me as gifts and I feel a responsibility to keep them as well.

I would probably sell off my Atari/Nintendo/3DO/NeoGeo/Sega/Sony stuff before even touching the TG/PCE/FX stuff but the question I have to ask myself is: Would I regret anything that I sell?...well I know I would.

For example: I once traded 5 rare Neo Geo carts for Zenki for the PC-FX.  I regret that trade to this day...not because of Zenki, but that I didn't pay cash for it and kept the 5 Geo carts.

I also regret selling my Sega Saturn collection many years ago which I had over 30 games that included most of the more rare titles for the console.
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

See?  You still regret selling some of the stuff from your past.  While you may not fully regret selling something you don't care intensively for like Atari/Genesis/whathaveyou, I am betting that you will experience some especially the second you ship that package out to the highest bidder!  But sometimes you do need some fast cash when you've got to pay the loan sharks.  :)

Sinistron

Yeah I think that's a good choice Aaron.  Me personally- I don't see the need for keeping twenty systems around.  I just keep my TG (and now FX) and now I have a wii- for whatever reason (really haven't gotten around to playing it much).  If you have all that stuff- just keep around your favorites- then get some cash and some space back.  Sell it to some cats who will appreciate it and get good use out of it too- not just some collector nut- this way you'll feel better about it and know that it went to a good home (e.g. I came across my old GI Joe comics- I really don't have the space for them but I don't want to throw them out or give them to someone who won't read them- so I've been sending them to Mike who is obviously into G.I. Joe- or maybe more so Cobra).
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

PCEngineHell

Joe Redifer

Speaking of which I recently came across all of my old GI JOE and Transformers comics.  Stormshadow is da man.

But still, I don't think I could get rid of them because I enjoy reading them, just like I enjoy playing old games.  I do often get that same feeling I once got when I first played a certain game.  Some games, like R-Type, aren't done better on any other system.  Even the PS version which basically is the arcade version pixel for pixel is less satisfying to me than the TurboGrafx version, especially the sound.  I agree that there isn't much point in having multiple copies of the same game and many versions of the same system, though.  Maybe one for spare on a fav system, just in case.

Sinistron

I came across my GI Joe VS Transformers miniseries!  :o  Now Mike has it  :)

I only keep around now some Bill Sienkiewicz stuff- the Elektra miniseries, The 1987 DC Shadow Series, stuff like that where I'd REALLY miss having it for the art alone.
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Joe Redifer

I have that 4-issue series as well.  Now that I wouldn't mind tossing.  Just awful.

Sinistron

Yeah it was pretty awful.  In my last thread derailment extension here- I'll also say that I came across GI Joe yearbooks 1-4, The GI Joe Order of Battle miniseries, Issues 1 through 65, GI Joe in 3D #1, the first six issues of GI Joe Special Forces (or Missions?), and GI Joe Digest 1 through 5.  I was a little Joe nuts back in the day.
IMG

PCEngineHell

Two of the best parts of the series hands down was the creation of Cobra Island, and the invasion and evacuation of Springfield.

NecroPhile

I keep my collection 'cause I like playing it (TG-16) and for nostalgia (2600).  Of course, my meager collection doesn't take up considerable space and wouldn't fetch enough money to make a meaningful difference to the ol' bottom line; if I had a giant pile of stuff that was rarely enjoyed, I'd probably be looking to dump something.  I can ogle pictures and they're easier to dust, so I'd rather someone else get to really enjoy it (preferably 'til the end of time).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

geise

Aaron I am in the exact same situation as you and I have debated selling stuff on numerous occasions.  Actually I have sold some games and I am already regretting it.  I have been married for 6 years, own a house and all that.  Personally for me there have been times money was tight, and I thought selling stuff was the way to go.  I sold two copies of Keio Flying Squadron (US release in mint that I paid 10 bucks for each), US Snatcher for Sega CD, Shining Force CD, US Terraforming, and Alien Soldier mint.  All these games were bought new back in the day.  These games were really special to me but I just sold them on a whim.  Now I see them on ebay for shitty BIN's and it didn't really help me all that much. :(  Now with work slowing down I have the time to play games more.  My wife told me not to sell them, but I figured "shit I just don't have the time to play like I used to.".  Now I want to play them but I would have to rebuy them at rediculous prices.  These games and systems you're probably thinking about selling more than likely are really expensive, out of print, and hard to find goods.  Like others have said you can make some money, but what if later down the road you want to come back and play something, then realize that you can't cause you forgot that you sold it.  If you really are moving on to other things and don't really see yourself coming back and playing stuff I would go and sell some things.  However really hard to find games that you loved when you were younger I would never sell.  I hope my ramblings were somewhat helpful.

MotherGunner

In other words Aaron, hold on to that sealed magical chase....
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

PCEngineFX

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...this has helped to give me more to think about on what exactly I should do.  I've not come to any decision yet, but will be continuing to give serious thought as to my next step.
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

I dunno about holding on to sealed games.  The entire point of sealed games is to resell them in the future, since obviously they cannot be played nor enjoyed.

termis

Lot of nostalgia, but even for gaming pleasure itself, I find that I have a more fun with retro consoles.  I just don't have the time to spend on the steep learning curve of lot of the games these days.

Lord Thag

I've asked myself the same question a bunch of times over the years, but everyone (and I do mean everyone I've met) who dumped their whole collection regrets it. Part of it is that you end up getting so much, that you start feeling guilty. It's like you start thinking 'hey, I have all this stuff I never use, and it's taking up all this space...' That kind of thing.

But you know what? Who cares? So what if you've spent money on it, and so what if you don't use it all the time. I go six months without even going in my game room at times. But I always come back. When I walk in there, sit in my comfy chair with an ice cold beer, and a plate of something tasty, surrounded by hundreds of games that I love, it's something special. That room is like a sanctuary. No annoying job, no stress, no worries, no crap. Just my own little private library of alternate worlds that I can plug into. Sure, there's no way I can realistically play it all at this point, but so what? Maybe I want to play some Ys or Salamander, or perhaps a few rounds of Samurai Showdown on the neo. Maybe it's time for some 2600 fun, or a strategy title on the Intellivision. Or maybe a few white knuckle rounds on my Defender arcade cab. Or... anything.

The point is, it's there, when I want it, and it's all ready to go. I built that collection over half my life. No way I'm getting rid of it.

That said, I do downsize from time to time. Here's the thing. If you want to downsize, get rid of stuff that you never play, don't care about, and only sell stuff that is easily replaced. *Always* keep rare stuff you will not be able to get again with out a lot of money/effort. For example, I have a respectable pile of Vic-20 & C64 stuff. I don't really care about it. Never play it either. I may end up selling all of that at some point, but I will use the money to get a few Neo or PCE games.

Never, ever, EVER sell off the whole thing. Being tired of it is ok, I get tired of it yearly. I have lots of other interests. But that 'being tired' is a mood that will ALWAYS pass, and when it does, you'll have the game room waiting.  Just my two cents.
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

Alt-PyschoNintega

Because.

1. I personally love the older games much more than the stuff that is being released now.
2. As years pass, vintage stuff become more valuable and harder to obtain.
3. One day when I have a kid, I would like to show him/her the types of video games I grew up with.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I keep it because I still play all my games, it makes my penis feel very large when my friends all go OMG I JEALOUS., and I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I play all the stuff I played as a kid..

Like:

Bonk, Super Hydlide, SNES RPGs, Lunar, Ecco, Altered Beast, and Contra.

Good stuff.

I just pretend its like it was back then and all my friends didnt turn into douchebags that only like Rock Band.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Sinistron

I think my advice to sell all except NEC goodness stems from my actually not having a gaming room like most of you.  I keep my systems in the living room- and the spare room is my computer/music studio room- which I try to keep as uncramped as possible.  I'm less on about the guilt of having unused stuff than I am about conserving space.  Me and my girl moved from a one bedroom claustrophobic closet to a two bedroom with a beautiful backyard area against the water and now I want less stuff than I had before just to enjoy that extra brreathing room.  If I had my own house- with my own gaming room- and the money to burn- shit I'd probably have it piled to the rafters with every system (well oldschool systems anyway) and I'd be holding tournament nights for specific systems every few weeks for cash prizes.
IMG

WoodyXP

I've sold off my entire collection and then bought it all back.. and then some.  That by itself is reason enough for me to keep my collection.  I don't want
to go through that hell again.  8)
"I bathe in AES carts."

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/15/2009, 03:18 PMI dunno about holding on to sealed games.  The entire point of sealed games is to resell them in the future, since obviously they cannot be played nor enjoyed.
I thought the point was to open those fuckers up and play the shit out of 'em.  That's what happens in my house anyway.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TR0N

Quote from: Lord Thag on 01/15/2009, 07:48 PMI've asked myself the same question a bunch of times over the years, but everyone (and I do mean everyone I've met) who dumped their whole collection regrets it. Part of it is that you end up getting so much, that you start feeling guilty. It's like you start thinking 'hey, I have all this stuff I never use, and it's taking up all this space...' That kind of thing.

But you know what? Who cares? So what if you've spent money on it, and so what if you don't use it all the time. I go six months without even going in my game room at times. But I always come back. When I walk in there, sit in my comfy chair with an ice cold beer, and a plate of something tasty, surrounded by hundreds of games that I love, it's something special. That room is like a sanctuary. No annoying job, no stress, no worries, no crap. Just my own little private library of alternate worlds that I can plug into. Sure, there's no way I can realistically play it all at this point, but so what? Maybe I want to play some Ys or Salamander, or perhaps a few rounds of Samurai Showdown on the neo. Maybe it's time for some 2600 fun, or a strategy title on the Intellivision. Or maybe a few white knuckle rounds on my Defender arcade cab. Or... anything.

The point is, it's there, when I want it, and it's all ready to go. I built that collection over half my life. No way I'm getting rid of it.

That said, I do downsize from time to time. Here's the thing. If you want to downsize, get rid of stuff that you never play, don't care about, and only sell stuff that is easily replaced. *Always* keep rare stuff you will not be able to get again with out a lot of money/effort. For example, I have a respectable pile of Vic-20 & C64 stuff. I don't really care about it. Never play it either. I may end up selling all of that at some point, but I will use the money to get a few Neo or PCE games.

Never, ever, EVER sell off the whole thing. Being tired of it is ok, I get tired of it yearly. I have lots of other interests. But that 'being tired' is a mood that will ALWAYS pass, and when it does, you'll have the game room waiting.  Just my two cents.
Agreed i'd say more but i all ways see threads like this at any forums i post at aaron.Still just keep what ya play still and sell the rest.Just double check to make sure,you don't think you will play that system and it's games any more.Nothing worse then selling it and then missing it and having to buy it all again.It can be a pain to track it all down again.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

drdre

I feel like I have this same problem as well, where I periodically go through my games and count off how many I could sell and never miss (yet I never sell any).

Many I still have out of feelings of nostalgia.  I don't think I'll ever sell my SNES and copies of Zelda, Metroid,
Super Mario etc., because these are the games I remember from my childhood.  Chrono cross was the first 'true' RPG that I ever finished.  Windwaker was the first 'modern' title I ever played, and have great memories of playing it night after night, sailing that amazing looking ocean.  The list is quite long, so suffice it to say that many games on many different systems hold great memories for me.

Other games I keep because I spent so much money on them, and just can't rationalize selling them.  Examples would be Earthbound, Zenki FX, Castlevania Drac X, and others.  Conversely, I don't sell some of my games because of how inexpensive they were.  I mean, is it really worth the time and effort to sell my Genesis copy of Primal Rage?  How much is it worth, like 75 cents?  Might as well just keep it...

And finally, some games I keep because they have places of pride in my collection.  I finished, and never play Final Fantasy VII (and only spent $14.99), but it seems like one of those games you should have in your collection, regardless.
Arms installation is complete....good luck

nat

It's taken me many years to meticulously craft my collection, constantly trading up for better condition copies of games, holding out months (even years) for that "once in a lifetime good deal" on the expensive titles. I will never sell my collection simply because of the time investment I have in it. With that comes sentimental attachment as well. I sold a good portion of my TG collection once in 2001 when I was a broke jobless schmuck trying to pay the rent. I still regret selling the titles that I did at that time, as it took me a long time to get them back and I'm fairly certain I probably came out at a loss when all was said and done. Games are small, they don't take up a whole lot of space. I go through phases where I do not play them much (like right now), but it comes in cycles. They will be there when I feel like getting back on the binge gaming horse. I plan on never selling my games, I will pass them along to my next of kin when I pass on and they can do with them as they see fit (cashing in on them, even, if they desire). Even if I get to the point in my life where I no longer play games, at all, ever, I will simply put them in storage where they'll stay safe for the rest of my days.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

Quote from: nat on 01/17/2009, 03:47 PMI still regret selling the titles that I did at that time, as it took me a long time to get them back and I'm fairly certain I probably came out at a loss when all was said and done. Games are small, they don't take up a whole lot of space. I go through phases where I do not play them much (like right now), but it comes in cycles. They will be there when I feel like getting back on the binge gaming horse.
Exactly. I go years without playing certain games (or enjoying particular albums, films, books, etc.), but I revisit stuff, even stuff that I thought I "played to death".

I have very little post- 16-bit stuff, anyway, so there is a very real "limit" to the maximum size of my library. Plus, I haven't been buying much for the past few years (lack of $$$$) -- as a result,  my library is growing slowly. I have a bunch of crates (not an entire basement) of stuff. 

The same thing has happened with my music library. Sure, I'd love to have tons of stuff, but, these days, I only have time to grab a few new albums every now and then... things are quite manageable.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rag-time4

I'm selling off lots of stuff that I collected. I'm just wrapping up the last of my G.I. Joe stuff. It's going to be comics next.

The way I've approached it is that I'm selling the stuff that's least important to me first. I sold all my SNES and Genesis stuff a couple years ago, so now I only have my favorite systems. PS 1 and 2, TurboDuo, NES + Famicom and Famicom Disk. I'm thinking of unloading the Famicom stuff, but I'm gonna get rid of my comics first and go from there.

Aaron my only suggestion is to always put your  marriage first. If you need money to take care of your wife, then sell some stuff. Or if you really need the space. If you've lost interest in your games then sell em. Some of the guys here have complained about the hassle of buying again, but that can also be part of the fun.

When I sold my SNES and Genesis stuff, I felt really good afterward, and I haven't looked back. However, I used the money and bought Turbo and PCE games and Famicom stuff.

Now my car was recently stolen, and I'm gonna need money to absorb the expenses related to the new car, so if I sell some game stuff I certainly won't look back. Maybe I'll buy them again when my life is more stable again.

VestCunt

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/14/2009, 06:27 PMI really find myself not as much into games as I would like to be and have wondered why I keep my gaming collection when it just sits there taking up space. 
QuoteI'm finding myself wanting other things in life these days and although games will always be part of who I am, I'm starting to question why I'm still holding on to my collection.
So, is it mostly a space issue or do you have clear ideas in your head of other things you should be doing but feel like the games are holding you back?

I've collected way too much stuff my whole life:  Star Wars figures, Transformers, comics, baseball cards, Dungeons and Dragons shit, video games, etc.  Growing up, my Dad told me about his Micky Mantle baseball cards and others that he left in his parents' attic for so many years they eventually were burned by his father in a backyard garbage heap.  I swore that would never happen to me and I've kept just about everything except for one collection:  Magic The Gathering. 

I got into Magic when it first came out and had a massive collection with many of the oldest and rarest cards.  I continued to collect as their popularity peaked and had a good idea what they were worth; yet I sold them all for a pittance in '98.  Why?  Because my obsession with them consumed most of my time and money.  Immediately afterword, I started playing music and finding real things I'm interested in and haven't looked back.  Sometimes I regret not having them, sometimes I regret not selling them for the $10,000-20,000 I could have gotten, but, like a good friend said, the fact I'm not "wasting time collecting that shit" is priceless.  Regrets aside, the experience has also helped me part with other collections and my baseball cards and action figures are currently on the way out.

If you do decide to get rid of your video games, don't go halfway.  Sell them and throw yourself into a new interest.  You'll only really regret selling them if you sit around scanning the ever-rising prices on ebay and chatting with other gamers afterword.  It's like people who try to quite drinking but still let their friends talk them into sitting around bars. 

If it's a matter of space and you just haven't been playing the last six months, keep them around or downsize.  Don't get rid of everything just for space or money.  I don't play my games consistently anymore but I do go through phases.  I'll probably always keep my NEC and Sega Master games but I can't enjoy them like I used to - there's always other things I should be doing and a nagging conscience in the back of my head reminding me that video games aren't real life.  I probably play only two or three hours a month and once a year I go on a binge and beat an RPG. 

Recently, I've been making my game time more of a social activity and I find I'm able to enjoy games more when I play with friends.  To that end, I've picked up stuff like Jeopardy 25th Anniversary (NES), Super Bomberman 5, a NES Four Score and Gauntlet 2.

Whatever you decide, thank you so much for all of your work on PCEFX over the years. 
Topic Adjourned.

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2009, 11:11 PM
Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/14/2009, 06:27 PMI really find myself not as much into games as I would like to be and have wondered why I keep my gaming collection when it just sits there taking up space. 
QuoteI'm finding myself wanting other things in life these days and although games will always be part of who I am, I'm starting to question why I'm still holding on to my collection.
So, is it mostly a space issue or do you have clear ideas in your head of other things you should be doing but feel like the games are holding you back?

I've collected way too much stuff my whole life:  Star Wars figures, Transformers, comics, baseball cards, Dungeons and Dragons shit, video games, etc.  Growing up, my Dad told me about his Micky Mantle baseball cards and others that he left in his parents' attic for so many years they eventually were burned by his father in a backyard garbage heap.  I swore that would never happen to me and I've kept just about everything except for one collection:  Magic The Gathering. 

I got into Magic when it first came out and had a massive collection with many of the oldest and rarest cards.  I continued to collect as their popularity peaked and had a good idea what they were worth; yet I sold them all for a pittance in '98.  Why?  Because my obsession with them consumed most of my time and money.  Immediately afterword, I started playing music and finding real things I'm interested in and haven't looked back.  Sometimes I regret not having them, sometimes I regret not selling them for the $10,000-20,000 I could have gotten, but, like a good friend said, the fact I'm not "wasting time collecting that shit" is priceless.  Regrets aside, the experience has also helped me part with other collections and my baseball cards and action figures are currently on the way out.

If you do decide to get rid of your video games, don't go halfway.  Sell them and throw yourself into a new interest.  You'll only really regret selling them if you sit around scanning the ever-rising prices on ebay and chatting with other gamers afterword.  It's like people who try to quite drinking but still let their friends talk them into sitting around bars. 

If it's a matter of space and you just haven't been playing the last six months, keep them around or downsize.  Don't get rid of everything just for space or money.  I don't play my games consistently anymore but I do go through phases.  I'll probably always keep my NEC and Sega Master games but I can't enjoy them like I used to - there's always other things I should be doing and a nagging conscience in the back of my head reminding me that video games aren't real life.  I probably play only two or three hours a month and once a year I go on a binge and beat an RPG. 

Recently, I've been making my game time more of a social activity and I find I'm able to enjoy games more when I play with friends.  To that end, I've picked up stuff like Jeopardy 25th Anniversary (NES), Super Bomberman 5, a NES Four Score and Gauntlet 2.

Whatever you decide, thank you so much for all of your work on PCEFX over the years. 
=D> Very well said! I still have my Magic cards because that's been a major activity for gatherings (snicker) with my best friends. My two moxes were in my deck that I kept in my car that got stolen. :(

I'm selling a lot of my stuff off one thing at a time.

Grandmaster

im new here, but i agree with a lot of what has been said. the reason i keep my gaming collection is because it means something to me. i've never collected anything else and video games have always been apart of my life, although i have sold a lot of things throughout the years. in fact, i dont own any nes, snes, genesis, n64 or ps2 games like i used to and ive sold many other valuable items because i needed the money in some way or another. on one hand, i do regret selling the games i actually bought with my own money back in the day or games that hold special nostalgic value since they were games i literally grew up with as i'm sure most of you here can relate, but on the other hand, i like a well-trimmed collection of my very favourites.

i could easily give up my games though for a greater cause such as family or other necessity.

Lord Thag

QuoteRecently, I've been making my game time more of a social activity and I find I'm able to enjoy games more when I play with friends.
Me too. I'm still kind of used to thinking of game collecting as a small, side hobby. Problem is, it's ain't small anymore  :lol:

My good friend John moved out of Redding sometime back, and he was the really big local collector. He held all kinds of tournaments and get togethers, and many of those folks have been pressuring me to kind of pick up the torch and run with it. It's quite fun, and I'm finding that I play a lot of games I wouldn't normally touch (fighters, brawlers etc). Sharing your 'Room of Doom' is a great way to get mileage out of your collection.

As far as selling stuff, though, that's not a big deal. Everyone's tastes change over time. What I always advise against is the knee-jerk 'sell everything' reaction. Everyone who does that regrets it, that I know. If you get rid of the stuff you don't play or care about to make room for something you do, I've found people tend not to regret. Pick your top three or four consoles and keep that stuff.

I'm contemplating doing something similar myself. I may offload all of my Vic 20 / C64 / Apple II / TI 99 / TRS 80 stuff soon to make room for my (far more fun) Neo Geo stuff.

Any takers?  :lol:
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration