Difference between Ys retail and pack-in?

Started by BlackandBlue, 05/26/2009, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackandBlue

Hey guys, sorry if this has been brought up in the past, but is there a difference between the retail and pack-in version of Ys book I&II besides the design of the disc art?  Is one worth more than the other?
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

CrackTiger

The pack-in is worth less overall, but who knows what the average price of the lone discs would average out to. Crooked sellers like to sell the pack-in with a photo of the closed jewel case with a manual as "complete", without making the distinction that it's the pack-in or what that entails.

The pack-in has a different label on the disc and came in an empty jewel case. The same manual as the retail copy was included.

The retail version has an outer cardboard box, english manual (+sometimes a french one), insert in the jewel case, regular style CD2 label, styrofoam spacer and sometimes a map.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

policenaut

Thanks for the info; I noticed now that I have the pack-in version.  I didn't paid that much for it but still look forward for the retail version.

hoobs88

Actually, the manuals are slightly different... one says "Distributed by Turbo Technologies, Inc (followed by their address)." and the other says "NEC (and contains a different address than TTI)".
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

exile

Does anyone have a pic of the map I'd love to see it. What parts of the game did it cover?

CrackTiger

Quote from: exile on 05/27/2009, 01:53 AMDoes anyone have a pic of the map I'd love to see it. What parts of the game did it cover?
I believe that it's just a brown drawing of Esteria (mine didn't come with a map back in the day).
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2009, 05:51 PMThe pack-in is worth less overall, but who knows what the average price of the lone discs would average out to. Crooked sellers like to sell the pack-in with a photo of the closed jewel case with a manual as "complete", without making the distinction that it's the pack-in or what that entails.

The pack-in has a different label on the disc and came in an empty jewel case. The same manual as the retail copy was included.

The retail version has an outer cardboard box, english manual (+sometimes a french one), insert in the jewel case, regular style CD2 label, styrofoam spacer and sometimes a map.
What exactly do you mean it has a different label on the disc?  What are the differences?
All is well. :)

BlackandBlue

Quote from: RoyVegas on 05/27/2009, 02:23 AMWhat exactly do you mean it has a different label on the disc?  What are the differences?
Retail:
IMG

Pack-in (best example I could find):
IMG
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

VestCunt

Also, let's not forget the pack-in has a white CD tray!

Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/27/2009, 02:08 AM
Quote from: exile on 05/27/2009, 01:53 AMDoes anyone have a pic of the map I'd love to see it. What parts of the game did it cover?
I believe that it's just a brown drawing of Esteria (mine didn't come with a map back in the day).
Really?  I figured they all did. 
Topic Adjourned.

RoyVegas

Thanks for the info BlackandBlue.  Looks like I need to get the retail version then.

hoobs88

I'll post a scan of the map after work or tomorrow.

Joe Redifer

This may be of help:  Last night I had a dream where I was playing the pack-in version of Ys.  They totally redid the voices, had CD music in places that normally just had PSG, rewrote all of the dialog and text and Adol wore a white hat and spoke.  None of you guys noticed the difference and I was going to break the big news here, but alas it was only a dream.  :(

exile

Quote from: hoobs88 on 05/27/2009, 02:01 PMI'll post a scan of the map after work or tomorrow.
Great! Can't wait to see it!

VestCunt

For those thinking Joe's dream is strange, remember that this is the guy who tapes his Ys map directly to TV screen to help him through the game.
Topic Adjourned.

termis

Ah, I didn't even know the pack-in version looked different (I have the retail one).  I think it was the first game that I ever bought that was on CD media...

blueraven

BlackandBlue's photo is right on.

I used to have the pack-in version but I sold it with my US duo back in 2004. I always wished that it was the complete version with artwork, box and map :)

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestFor those thinking Joe's dream is strange, remember that this is the guy who tapes his Ys map directly to TV screen to help him through the game.
How the hell else are you supposed to beat the game???

hoobs88

RoyVegas

Wow! Thats awesome!  Is that a pocket in the back in the manual for that map?

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: RoyVegas on 05/28/2009, 11:46 AMWow! Thats awesome!  Is that a pocket in the back in the manual for that map?
haha. That's funny. It does look like it, eh. I had to take a double look myself.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

TheMilford

Quote from: hoobs88 on 05/27/2009, 02:01 PMI'll post a scan of the map after work or tomorrow.
Yeah, pretty sure mine didn't come with a map.

exile

strange I got the retail version, but not the map sigh, guess this mean I'm gonna have to score another copy complete. Unless :idea: Someone hear has an extra?