OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Mock-up in ad VERSUS actual item shipped

Started by esteban, 10/13/2012, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

I didn't have time to create a proper page on my site, so I started this thread instead.

https://www.tg-16.com/new_turbografx_magazine_scans.htm

QuoteTG-16 advertisement (EGM, August 1989). Look closely at the the HuCARD's pictured on the final page. These HuCARD's (Victory Run and Legendary Axe) are mock-ups: fancy coverart like this would not appear on actual cards for years. ALSO, in the mock-up, the text for Legendary Axe is outlined in black (making the title significantly easier to read than the muddy design that ultimately went into production). Finding these minor things is one of the reasons why I enjoy reading/archiving old print.
I threw together some some comparisons this morning (click for larger image):

IMG
IMG
NOTE: The title font was originally white with black outline. Observe the axe blade in the final version (on right)--the tip of the blade actually is superimposed on top of the text layer (well the "E" at least). That's a subtle, but nice touch. Adds a bit of depth.

IMG
IMG
NOTE: The title text is slightly larger in the final version. Look at the Eiffel Tower and the "V" in "VICTORY" to see the different font size/placement. Again, the font color/embellishments (outlining) slightly change.

SOURCE: https://archives.tg-16.com/EGM/EGM_1989_08_ad.pdf (to see the original advertisement)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Frank_fjs

Very interesting. :)

Always wondered why they cheaped out on the HuCard art with US releases, they're so boring and ugly compared to the Japanese cards.

ccovell

I was always curious about the proto Turbografx system with the fluorescent yellow power switch and different joypad plug.

By the way, that "IBM PC Keyboard" was in fact a prototype PCE keyboard modified from the NEC PC-8801 computer.
The Tsushin Booster software actually has routines that detect button presses on this unreleased keyboard.

See: https://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/sp_tsushinbooster.html

So it wasn't just some goofy magazine mock-up.

LostFlunky

Was there an ad mock-up of Bonk's Adventure with an orange style spine label?  I don't know why, but I swear I have seen that game with an orange spine...

esteban

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 10/13/2012, 03:34 PMWas there an ad mock-up of Bonk's Adventure with an orange style spine label?  I don't know why, but I swear I have seen that game with an orange spine...
We have a MISSION for fellow forum members to engage in... :pcgs:

Quote from: ccovell on 10/13/2012, 11:56 AMI was always curious about the proto Turbografx system with the fluorescent yellow power switch and different joypad plug.

By the way, that "IBM PC Keyboard" was in fact a prototype PCE keyboard modified from the NEC PC-8801 computer.
The Tsushin Booster software actually has routines that detect button presses on this unreleased keyboard.

See: https://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/sp_tsushinbooster.html

So it wasn't just some goofy magazine mock-up.
Awesome. I'm glad you clarified those points. :pcgs:

I'll have to update my post.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 10/13/2012, 11:42 AMVery interesting. :)

Always wondered why they cheaped out on the HuCard art with US releases, they're so boring and ugly compared to the Japanese cards.
The JP version of Victory Run in particular is one of my all time favorites, so dynamic. The US version seems to depict a drop top late 60s American sedan or something like that, something as far from a rally car as anything could possibly be.
IMG

jelloslug

Also notice that the jewel case itself for Victory Run is the Keith Courage style with no hold down clip.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2012, 10:03 AMAlso notice that the jewel case itself for Victory Run is the Keith Courage style with no hold down clip.
Yes! Of course, for the advertisement, it looks much better this way!

In practical terms, though, I've always felt the clip was the best solution (ugly and unwieldy, yes, but also secure).

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/13/2012, 05:10 PM
Quote from: Frank_fjs on 10/13/2012, 11:42 AMVery interesting. :)

The JP version of Victory Run in particular is one of my all time favorites, so dynamic. The US version seems to depict a drop top late 60s American sedan or something like that, something as far from a rally car as anything could possibly be.
I hear you. When I played this game as a kid, I always imagined driving a 1975 Cadillac DeVille from the streets of Paris to the open savannah in Africa.

:pcgs:

LostFlunky

Here is a Duo ad from June 1993 Gamepro, where some of the CD's have mock-up inserts.

IMG

(never mind the mistake in the name of the file..)