RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Hidden gems of the PSP

Started by soop, 08/07/2012, 06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

I'm constantly surprised at the large number of great games of the PSP that completely slipped me by the first time around.  And the best thing is, these games are currently going for pocket change.  I picked up Echochrome (which I had BITD, but is still worthy of owning and replaying) and Echoshift, a semi-sequel.

Echoshift has you playing and replaying levels, manipulating platforms and switches within a time limit, in order to get to the exit.  However, you'll never get to the exit on your first try.

You see, you keep replaying the level over and over again, alongside the ghost images of your former attempts, and you're judged by the number of attempts you use. An example might be a series of ledges running towards the door, and a long ledge running underneath it.  On your first run, you might have to walk underneath, standing on switches to connect the ledges overhead, timing them so that your future self can cross over in time.

It quickly gets more complicated, and like chess, you have to think ahead to where you're going to be and when, on the next go and even the go after.  And then you get one little thing wrong on the first attempt, and it will be impossible to get the best grade.

At the moment, I'm quite far through the standard levels, though it's getting tricky, but even after that, each stage has two variant modes.  I picked up this game for about £2, and I can't put it down.

Now is the time to grab yourself a PSP and start buying up all the great games!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Opethian

Jeanne D'arc is one of the best exclusive PSP RPGs to me.
all the Ys remixes are pretty damn nice as well

Peace Walker was good but I rather play it on PS3 with the MGS:HD collection
IMG

soop

Quote from: Opethian on 08/07/2012, 07:13 AMJeanne D'arc is one of the best exclusive PSP RPGs to me.
ah, I remember being interested in that when it was announced.  I'll look out for it.

Peacewalker is AMAZING.

Ji-L87

Yeah, the PSP is now a really economical system.
Especially when all many of the great games can be had used, in UMD format, under the price Sony is charging through PSN.

Also, everything that is region free gets an extra 1000 points in my book : D

Edit: Funny you mentioned MGS: Peacewalker. I picked it up last week or so for an obscenely low price on GameSpot with a gift card I found. When I tried the demo earlier though, I ran into some problem with the finer parts of movement control. Thanks to Monster Hunter, my analog thumb-joystick thing isn't what it used to be :lol:
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

JoshTurboTrollX

Just started fumbling around a bit with PRINNY.  Finding it to be almost exactly what I hoped it would be.  A good 2D side scroller!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

yea the Disgaea remakes are cool too
Prinny's dood! those games are fun

also Half Minute Hero!!!! good time waster :D
IMG

geise

Ikuze! Gen-san (Hammern' Harry)
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
PSP Star Soldier (import)
Parodious Collection (import)
Salamander Collection (also has Xexex) (import)
Gradius Collection
Ridge Racers
Ys Seven
Ys Oath in Felghana
Ys Chronicles I&II
Gurumin
Ys Ark of Napishtim (if used as iso with custom firmware)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Metal Slug Anthology
Lumines
Capcom Puzzle World

soop

Quote from: geise on 08/07/2012, 09:51 AMCapcom Puzzle World
Wow!  Pomping World on the PSP!  DONE.

Arkhan Asylum

Exclusives?

Growlanser.

Winning.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

I forgot about Twinbee Collection and Princess Crown.  Again...import only.

Lilgrafx

meka

I liked the PSP's Resistance game, a lot better than the one on the PSV.

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 08/07/2012, 01:02 PMhalf minute hero!
3rd recommendation on that one can kill 5 minutes or be deep enough to keep you interested for a long period of time
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

VenomMacbeth

I wish Darius Burst wasn't so damn expensive...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Nando

soop

E4 on xbla I think is better.  But then I'm not sure I really understood it at the time of EEE.

Nando

Quote from: soop on 08/08/2012, 11:11 AME4 on xbla I think is better.  But then I'm not sure I really understood it at the time of EEE.
some times I kinda sorta wish I had a 360, like rarely, but sometimes.  ;)

I did take me a few plays to get the gist of EEE; still one of my favorites.

Is Patapon a hidden gem?

Lilgrafx

Quote from: hizaygizirlz on 08/07/2012, 01:21 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 08/07/2012, 01:02 PMhalf minute hero!
3rd recommendation on that one can kill 5 minutes or be deep enough to keep you interested for a long period of time
it's a way to kill a few minutes, but it's very good

nectarsis

Ultimate GnG is a MUST own IMO.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

bartre

I still dig on the persona remakes, mostly 1+2.
popolocrois was great too, if a little simple.

PikachuWarrior

Hexyz Force is interesting. There's Fate/Extra, both Star Ocean games, and Tales of Eternia (Pal only-in English)
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Nando on 08/08/2012, 10:54 AMEvery Extend Extra
Yup, that's one of the one's I just recently discovered.  I also just picked up Exit, Mercury &Mercury Meltdown(on one UMD!), & Samurai Warriors, though I haven't played them for myself just yet.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: nectarsis on 08/08/2012, 06:53 PMUltimate GnG is a MUST own IMO.
2nd i agree,hmm man i need to back to collecting for the psp again.Mostly because once the stock runs out all that will be left is used games.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

bartre

Quote from: TR0N on 08/09/2012, 02:14 AM
Quote from: nectarsis on 08/08/2012, 06:53 PMUltimate GnG is a MUST own IMO.
2nd i agree,hmm man i need to back to collecting for the psp again.Mostly because once the stock runs out all that will be left is used games.
yup, and for now, prices seem to keep dropping on the damned games :D

xcrement5x

Yeah, PSP is totally cheap right now to pick up games for, I've been scoping out Gamestops near me pretty frequently to grab the used stuff that comes in.  Thankfully they don't gut the games either, so the ones that come in complete are sold that way.

If you like puzzle games, Crush is a very fun and addictive game that not a lot of folks know about.  I also recommend Half Minute Hero as well, and there's even a localized Dungeon Explorer game by Hudson for the PSP!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Ji-L87

Sadly, most GAME stores over here stopped carrying PSP games a while ago, but GameStop still have a few lying around. Never understood why the PSP didn't make more of a splash...
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

bartre

because it didn't say nintendo....

the sad part is that it's only a 1/2 joke, look at rayman origins, largely the same game as new super mario bros wii, but better.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: bartre on 08/15/2012, 07:38 PMbecause it didn't say nintendo....

the sad part is that it's only a 1/2 joke, look at rayman origins, largely the same game as new super mario bros wii, but better.
Other than that they're reboots of classic series there not that similar, Rayman is the much better game though

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 08/15/2012, 03:49 AMSadly, most GAME stores over here stopped carrying PSP games a while ago, but GameStop still have a few lying around. Never understood why the PSP didn't make more of a splash...
Walmart(& to a lesser extent), Target, & Toys R Us still have PSP games in my area, but all the Gamestop's round' these parts sent the games to corporate, probably for re-distribution.
IMG

8bitForLife

how about the imports of the pc engine games they released on the psp those are pretty nice.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

bartre

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 08/16/2012, 12:30 AM
Quote from: bartre on 08/15/2012, 07:38 PMbecause it didn't say nintendo....

Other than that they're reboots of classic series there not that similar, Rayman is the much better game though
how are they not that similar?
sidescrolling platformer, up to 4 players, when a player dies, they respawn by touching an active player.
which was i describing?

but yes, Rayman was much better, imo.

munchiaz

Also theres a breath of fire 3 port (PAL, English) then there is castlevania drax X which is an awesome set. There are lot of PS games i wanna start collecting while they are pretty cheap

Flare65

Anyone know whats rare and hard to find for the PSP?  Was there any limited edition games on it?  As far as I can tell, only the Ultimate Ghouls and Ghost seems a bit uncommon, but isn't impossible to find if you are looking for it.

nectarsis

Quote from: Flare65 on 08/16/2012, 11:15 PMAnyone know whats rare and hard to find for the PSP?  Was there any limited edition games on it?  As far as I can tell, only the Ultimate Ghouls and Ghost seems a bit uncommon, but isn't impossible to find if you are looking for it.
XSeed, and Atlus did a number of LE's....and Ultimate GnG is uncommon?
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

munchiaz

^ you can find all the LE atlus and Xseed games on amazon, but they are going up in prices. Like Y's 1&2 is like $70 now

sauce55

infected it was a fun game

bawitback

IMG
|| Use your Special Attack ||

Nando