10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What games deserve a remake?

Started by ctophil, 02/18/2015, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctophil

Hey everyone,

You know, I believe that if more companies focus on remakes of retro games, they would make a lot of money. The recent success of the DuckTales remake is proof that retro games can make quite the splash. However, just like any game, a remake has to be well developed with the proper care in all departments, i.e. graphics, sound, characters, gameplay, story, and so forth. Don't be like the Golden Axe remake (Golden Axe: Beast Rider) that barely got out of the market. Of course, you also got ten thousand versions of Tetris and Pac-Man. Those aren't really remakes, but are just different variations of the same game. I guess you can count a few Pac-Man titles that are remakes with enhanced graphics, gameplay, and sound. Resident Evil HD and Killer Instinct were also recent remakes that really hit the bar.

Here is a list of games I want to be remade for current gen consoles.

1. Final Fantasy VI - I would buy this one in a heartbeat. lol. My favorite RPG needs a facelift, but not in 3D. It should stay in 2D but with modern graphics, music, and perhaps some vocals for the songs. They should also add some storyline elements to enhance the characters' development even more. Sure, they have released the game on various platforms over the years. However, it never received a full remake.

2. Golden Axe - I want to see a real remake of this game. I even formed a development team back in the day to make this happen. But of course, I ran out of steam, since the team was not as dedicated and money was an issue. It should be upgraded to 2.5D graphics similar to the arcade sequel, Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder. I would like to also see a bigger selection of characters and even hidden characters like in the Mortal Kombat series. I know it's not a fighting game, but it should have similar attributes. Which reminds me, though Golden Axe was a fun game, it should also have more moves and magic. With modern machines, 4-player coop via local and online would be great.

3. Streets of Rage - Another Sega classic that needs a huge facelift. Although there is a homebrew game in development right now called Project Y that is very similar to Streets of Rage, I would rather Sega do it correctly and call it Streets of Rage HD or something. Similar to Golden Axe, more characters, moves, and items you can pick up to bash your enemies would all be a plus for this remake. The music could use a modern remix of sorts, but keep the MIDI sounds if possible.

4. Actraiser - Oh yeah, this game was one of my very favorite SNES titles. It was a fantastic side-scroller with a very fun town-building simulator. It would be so awesome to play this in HD on say the Xbox 360 or PS3. And then, what better than a fully orchestrated upgraded soundtrack? I love that game and deserves a remake more than any other game in my opinion.

5. Metroid - Well, Super Metroid is a lot better game, but perhaps it shouldn't be remade. I think that it's a perfect game that can't be any better other than graphics. But the original Metroid should be remade with some tweaks in all departments. Don't get me wrong, Metroid was a good game in itself. But it would be an even better game if done right.

6. Soul Blazer - This game is on par with the fantastic Actraiser in every way. Everything from the cool bosses to the great top-down RPG action, the game is a masterpiece. Don't change anything, just enhance every aspect of it.

7. Super Mario Bros - This was the game that started the revolution of Nintendo and dawn of a new era of video games after the game industry crash in the 1980s. Sure, it was sort of remade in Super Mario All-Stars. But, it was just graphics & sound enhancements. Nintendo needs to bring back Super Mario Bros. with new enemies, levels, bosses, and modern 64-bit 2D graphics for its 30 year anniversary since the game's release date in Japan of September 13, 1985, which would mark 30 years if Nintendo releases it this year as a remake for the Wii U. I bet if I was on Nintendo's Board of Directors, it would be released.

8. Bonk's Adventure - The only other game mascot that deserves great fan recognition other than Mario.  Did I forget Sonic?  No, but I didn't like the Sonic games as much.  And I'm sure Sonic fans would throw a fit at me.  But I digress.  Bonk's Adventure was a very a fun game, right up there with the original Super Mario Bros.  So, it deserves every bit of a facelift for the modern generation.  People need a taste of what classic gaming is all about with their next-gen fanciness, such as bigger levels, awesome new enemies/bosses, and souped up graphics & sound. 

That's all I can think of right now. So, what games do you want to be remade?

wildfruit

Metroid was remade tho. Metroid zero on GBA. and very good it is too.

ctophil

Quote from: wildfruit on 02/18/2015, 06:18 PMMetroid was remade tho. Metroid zero on GBA. and very good it is too.
True, but it was for a portable system.  And the GBA is pretty outdated with what it can deliver.  I'm talking about an all-out PS3/PS4, Xbox 360/One or even Wii U release with redrawn graphics & sound.  It doesn't hurt to add clever new enemy designs, mini-bosses & bosses, as well as more cool powerups and weapons.

VenomMacbeth

Metroid II could use a proper remake.  Id love to see what SR388 looks like not in monochrome lol.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

elmer

IMHO, System Shock 2 ... probably the best game that I've ever played. Great story, and very creepy.

While the fans have done what they can to up-rez the textures and replace the low-polygon models ... it's absolutely dying for a modern remake.

BigusSchmuck

The Guardian Legend. Enough said.

roflmao

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 02/18/2015, 09:24 PMGreat suggestion, Bigus!
Only cause I got it for the NES for .99 and been playing the crap out of it as of late. :) Ahh memories..

CPTRAVE

Oh Man "River Raid".. all the way..

ToyMachine78

DeshDildo

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is side scrolling and very good.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

xcrement5x

Falcom should stop ignoring their old IP and make a new Popful Mail game. 

Just sayin...
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

BigusSchmuck

I wonder how hard it would be to port The Guardian Legend to the turbo and do a proper remake?
http://retroseek.com/2012/12/09/falling-on-deaf-ears-games-dying-to-be-remade-in-hd/
This guys sums it up nicely..

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 02/18/2015, 10:19 PMFalcom should stop ignoring their old IP and make a new Popful Mail game. 

Just sayin...
This Ys has it's share i think popful mail to should get a remake or sequel.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

cr8zykuban0

Gex enter the gecko, streets of rage, bomberman hero, bonk, gun smoke, virtual pro wrestling,  ninja spirits, and onimusha are a few titles i can think of that deserve a remake

TR0N

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 02/19/2015, 01:55 AMGex enter the gecko, streets of rage, bomberman hero, bonk, gun smoke, virtual pro wrestling,  ninja spirits, and onimusha are a few titles i can think of that deserve a remake
Gex could happen sqaurenix is looking at eidos older ips.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

HailingTheThings

Little Nemo The Dream Master!

P.O.W.

Athena Ass-Ah-Mee-Ya!

Also, it goes without saying, but...

Bucky! Captain Bucky O'Hare! He goes where no ordinary rabbit would dare!!!!

IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 02/19/2015, 01:55 AMGex enter the gecko, streets of rage, bomberman hero, bonk, gun smoke, virtual pro wrestling,  ninja spirits, and onimusha are a few titles i can think of that deserve a remake
Gun.Smoke.

Done.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Remade Bonks would be good, but even better would be a proper sequel.

And +1 on a Popful reboot.  Falcom has remade all sorts of Ys titles, Legend of Heroes games, and even Brandish; when's it gonna be Popful's turn?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BlueBMW

I thought the Nights HD remake on PS3 was a great example of HD remake done right.

That said.... I'd love to see Banjo Kazooie and Tooie remade properly. (Not the xbox360 rereleases)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TurboGrafx

Eternal Darkness in HD would be sweet!

ctophil

Here are a few more titles to add to my remake list.

9. Battletoads - This game was super hard! Especially on the bike-riding level, it was just impossible to me. I was able to recently get past that bike level with a friend, but we still couldn't make it past the following level. But you know, it was such a fun game! It also had some great graphics on the NES. In a remake of Battletoads, developers need to focus on the controls a bit more. It felt loose and sort of floaty when trying to do combos on enemies. Also, the hit detection on cliff edges were off. I can't tell you how many times I fell off the cliff when I was no where near a cliff. All this made the game more difficult than it supposed to be. Other than that, it's like Double Dragon with toads. :-) The music was really cool and catchy as well.

There were other games in the series, such as Battletoads & Double Dragon and Super Battletoads. Those were really good games and perhaps don't need a remake. But the original Battletoads would be fantastic with an updated fighting system, graphics & sound, and additional characters to choose from.

10. Double Dragon II - The first Double Dragon on NES was a single player game and was not as polished. But wow, the 2nd game in the series really was the best one. It got extremely hard later on in the game. But I have to congratulate myself for beating it several years ago with a friend. I might like this game more than Streets of Rage just due to the sheer number of moves you can perform if you practiced enough. I was able to do numerous combos, not with button mashing, but with true mastery of the moves. Plus, those power uppercuts and cyclone kicks were very exhilarating when done right. The game was so fun that I can play it over and over with any coop buddy. I believe a remake would be in order with even more crazy moves and coop combos. Sure, they did a remake called Double Dragon Neon a couple of years ago. But that one just didn't feel the same. Plus, it was almost an entirely different game with fan service. A true remake would be awesome.

11. Albert Odyssey - Most people never even heard of this title, much less give it a chance. This came out on Sega Saturn, and I am so glad I gave it a shot. It's got everything a good RPG has--great graphics, lovely characters, an exciting storyline, crazy villains, cool battle system, and the superb soundtrack! It was so underrated. It would be amazing to see it running on a modern console with increased difficulty, since it was a pretty easy game. This is quite the traditional JRPG. So, a remake would be nice to have some more side quests, mini games, and anime cut scenes to add to the drama. The game can be pretty lighthearted at times until the drama kicks in. Reminds me a lot of the Lunar series. If you haven't played this game yet, I suggest you give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

CAPSLOCK

I would love to see a remastered/updated seiken densetsu trilogy.

poponon

Quote from: CAPSLOCK on 02/24/2015, 08:52 AMI would love to see a remastered/updated seiken densetsu trilogy.
pls no. the series ends at sd3. the pain is real. no more tears

CAPSLOCK

yeah not a new title in the series, just updated graphics, better ai in SD2, final fantasy adventure in color etc.

geise

Quote from: TR0N on 02/19/2015, 01:49 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/18/2015, 10:19 PMFalcom should stop ignoring their old IP and make a new Popful Mail game. 

Just sayin...
Popful Mail did get a remake...on Sega CD.  :) Totally thew the old gameplay out the window.   Good enough I don't think it needs a remake.  Now, a new game would with Mail would be awesome!

xcrement5x

Quote from: geise on 02/24/2015, 11:33 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 02/19/2015, 01:49 AM

Just sayin...
Popful Mail did get a remake...on Sega CD.  :) Totally thew the old gameplay out the window.   Good enough I don't think it needs a remake.  Now, a new game would with Mail would be awesome!
=D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

poponon

Quote from: geise on 02/24/2015, 11:33 AMPopful Mail did get a remake...on Sega CD.  :) Totally thew the old gameplay out the window.   Good enough I don't think it needs a remake.  Now, a new game would with Mail would be awesome!
Just finished this game a few days back. Was amazing!! I really want to get some art books of the game, I really like the aesthetic

NecroPhile

Quote from: geise on 02/24/2015, 11:33 AMPopful Mail did get a remake...on Sega CD.  :) Totally thew the old gameplay out the window.   Good enough I don't think it needs a remake.  Now, a new game would with Mail would be awesome!
I want both a remake and a new game(s).  They'd surely go 3D like the Ys games, which are so different in how they're played that the remade games are worth playing even if you've played the originals.

VenomMacbeth

Oh shit, Genpei Toumaden.   I can't believe I didn't think of this.  With better graphics, improved controls & difficulty, I think the prospect of a Samurai crossing back over the river Sanzu to wreak undead vengeance on his captors would make for a really interesting remake, especially in the art department.  If they kept it 2-D (or did some cell shading stuff like they did with Okami) then they could very easily pull off the Japanese Yamato-e or Woodblock print art style that would do such a game tremendous justice.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

pulstar

The Phantasy Star Quadriliogy needs a remake really, especially Phantasy Star 4.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

poponon

Quote from: CAPSLOCK on 02/24/2015, 10:27 AMyeah not a new title in the series, just updated graphics, better ai in SD2, final fantasy adventure in color etc.
I'm still afraid they'd just continue to wreck the series. Everytime they release a new mana title I get a glimpse of hope from extreme sd3 nostalgia... and then

IMG

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

poponon

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: poponon on 02/24/2015, 04:58 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/24/2015, 04:26 PMHYDLIDE
IMG

we already got this masterpiece
That game is hardly that bad.  Most of the people that fag out about it didn't play it when it was new.   Of course it looks retarded now.

Every game from that era that put real people (Mortal Kombat?) in the game looks stupid as shit and feels special.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

poponon

Quote from: guest on 02/24/2015, 07:13 PMThat game is hardly that bad.  Most of the people that fag out about it didn't play it when it was new.   Of course it looks retarded now.

Every game from that era that put real people (Mortal Kombat?) in the game looks stupid as shit and feels special.
I donno I can still enjoy mortal combat and definitely more cartoony prerendered stuff like donkey kong country, but virtual hydlide is  on a whole different level :lol:

VenomMacbeth

I have a certain affinity for the pre-rendered character games >.< is Virtual Hydlide any good atall?
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

TurboGrafx

Quote from: pulstar on 02/24/2015, 01:49 PMThe Phantasy Star Quadriliogy needs a remake really, especially Phantasy Star 4.
=D&gt; Love these games!

poponon

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 02/25/2015, 12:08 AMI have a certain affinity for the pre-rendered character games >.< is Virtual Hydlide any good atall?
It's not unplayable or anything, just  a bit aged. I won't lie I had alot of fun playing back in early university days, though it was done somewhat ironically.

xcrement5x

I must also admit I was enamored with Virtual Hydlide back when the Saturn was in retail.  I think it was the awesome cover with the hot princess on it that made me totally want to play it (and I was really into medieval stuff during that time). 

Anyway, I finally got a copy several years ago and played it for awhile but it couldn't live up to the hype highschool age xcrement5x had built up in his mind over like 15 year of wanting it.  It's kind of funny because I had managed to pick up a lot of other Saturn stuff over that time, but VH always kind of eluded me until I saw someone on a forum was selling a copy. 

technozombie

Any pre-7 Final Fantasy(6 would be my choice) with characters/art that actually looks like Amano's designs.

Arkhan Asylum

It plays exactly like the NES one, in 3D.

It's awesome.

geise

Quote from: guest on 02/24/2015, 12:57 PM
I want both a remake and a new game(s).  They'd surely go 3D like the Ys games, which are so different in how they're played that the remade games are worth playing even if you've played the originals.
Mail in 3D will make me cry.  Some things are just better off not being re-made.

xcrement5x

Quote from: geise on 02/25/2015, 08:57 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/24/2015, 12:57 PM
Mail in 3D will make me cry.  Some things are just better off not being re-made.
I think it could be done okay.  If you imagine the three character mechanic in Ys 7 but with Mail, Tatto, and Gaw and each of them having different abilities to solve puzzles it could be really cool!  But yeah, if it turned out horrible I would probably cry.  A lot.

NecroPhile

Quote from: geise on 02/25/2015, 08:57 PMMail in 3D will make me cry.  Some things are just better off not being re-made.
Ys III being rebooted as Oath in Felghana turned out pretty good.  Have faith in Falcom!

slinkyturd

70/95 US Turbochips

esteban

Quote from: slinkyturd on 03/02/2015, 02:34 AMPong! ...with more nudity.
This could actually become a reality.

Do you prefer one or two male nudes per screen?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: TR0N on 02/19/2015, 02:04 AM
Gex could happen sqaurenix is looking at eidos older ips.
that would be awesome!

i also believe they should make a good 2d remake of samurai shodown and metal slug. imagine those in hd.

speaking about that, snk needs to hurry up and make snk arcade classics volume 2 or a king of fighters nest saga collection.

TurboGrafx

These may be odd requests for a remake, but these were two nintendo games I really enjoyed playing.

Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th