OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Starting your own game convention/ gathering: Pizzangames

Started by JoshTurboTrollX, 08/17/2011, 01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshTurboTrollX

http://pizzangames.com/
Sept 17th 2011 noon-8pm
A few friends and I decided to try our hand at getting a gamer gathering in our small town.  We rented an average sized conference room (about the same size as one of the two rooms VGS used) for old school gaming.  We're charging $3 at the door, and feeding every entrant with two slices of pizza.  Drinks will have to be purchased separately.

We're looking to do some 16-bit comparison features like the Street Fighter games (SNESvGensvTurbob) and the Castlevania series.  Also tournaments: CvS2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Feet of Fury<-- all dreamcast games.  Could probably also throw in some high score challanges similar to what chany did at turboFest.  We're also featuring CCG's and old school RPG's like Cthulhu and D&D and AD&D sessions.  We have three actual vendors from local gaming shops and a special presentation from Damian the Linux guy.  He's going to show off a new linux based tablet.

Most of the games will be supplied by myself (NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Turbo,Gens,Saturn,DC,Xbox,Apple][c,TI99,C64,VB,iMac,) and probably some others, so this will be a good chance for me to test out the displays that we'll be able to use at MGC next year with my stuff.  We have at least 6 TV's at this point, and could have more depending on a few people that are on the edge about bringing extras.

Now I'm not expecting any turbob mates to make the trip as this is probably a small gathering at best(probably less people than VGS), but I am curious if any of the con vets like majors or DHGhunter would have any first year tips or things to avoid/ look for in putting together an event like this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  :)
Of course, after the event expect to see lots of videos on my yt channel!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

IMG

DragonmasterDan

I'd make sure you have someone charging people at the Door. VGS doesn't really have that and consistently loses money because of that.
--DragonmasterDan

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/17/2011, 02:05 PMI'd make sure you have someone charging people at the Door. VGS doesn't really have that and consistently loses money because of that.
Yea, we've got that covered, it should be easier with only having one defined entrance as well. @VGS I only purchased a 'badge' for the show to make it legal.  I could have very easily spent the whole day at VGS and never purchased one. O_O -
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

* pictures assassin turbob controllers guarding the doors *
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/17/2011, 02:46 PMYea, we've got that covered, it should be easier with only having one defined entrance as well. @VGS I only purchased a 'badge' for the show to make it legal.  I could have very easily spent the whole day at VGS and never purchased one. O_O -
as most people have the past few years. I've been donating 20.00 every year to VGS for exactly that reason.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

IMG

hizaygizirlz

Dang buddy thats 5+ hours away.  Easy for the BlueBMW's of the world, hard for the likes of me.  Good Luck though it sounds like its gonna be a good time.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

Tatsujin

zooming out of the map, it seems that this merill is quite out in da pampa. sorry mate, but way too far away for me ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

majors

1) Make sure you do not take a loss. If you got the door fee taken care of, good. Nobody wants to be the dick and ask ppl to leave but don't set a precedence letting freeloaders roam.

2) Tourneys will run long, will go late and people will be slow in getting up to play. PLAN FOR IT.

3) Allow beer.

In my area, a couple of groups do "game night" at library's...it's a free venue. It's usually tied to a college, but you lose #3.

I think you're very ambitious with the board games, tablet dude and vendors...how big is this pizza joint? You're taking "go big, or go home" to heart. You can also try to tag team with an existing group/con that might be looking for extra events.

CvS2 is the best, props!

PS - put Turbo FIRST on your website...shesh, after NES and Atari...that's just wrong.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: majors on 08/18/2011, 04:30 PM3) Allow beer.
Yes  :mrgreen:

The place is pretty average sized.  Like I said, it's about the size of one of the rooms we did VGS in.  I'm paying only for the Pizza's.  The owner of the Pizza Joint is letting us use the room for the day.  The guys from Gaming generations are mainly running the tournaments, after talking to them today, they actually will be donating a few prizes as well.

I will also have to put TURBOB first on the site, I can't believe I even put any other console on it... lol, I just noticed also, I completely left off the Sega Saturn!!  For shame!!

TR0N

It's not a video game convention without a neo-geo :wink: JK good luck though on getting it going.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mathius

TheClash603

As far as I know there is nothing like this in Buffalo, NY.  It seems like the mid-west is the most dedicated group of gamers.  Make this a traveling event?

guyjin

Can't afford that right now :(

Even if I could, I'm not sure I could justify the trip for one afternoon of gaming.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guyjin on 08/29/2011, 07:38 PMCan't afford that right now :(

Even if I could, I'm not sure I could justify the trip for one afternoon of gaming.
Yes and also by supporting Pizza n' Games you would also be supporting our evil Governor Walker and his Anti Union schemes!

:P nyuk nyuk,

Anyway, the show must go on, 5 more days till the show, I'll post vids and pics for all you to see all the retro greatness that will be going on!  :D

JoshTurboTrollX

here is the link to the facebook page with pics from the event.-

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2124322626111.2111174.1187240232#!/media/set/?set=a.2124322626111.2111174.1187240232&type=1

all cleaned up, packed away, and tired as hell.
I'm going to sleep.... oh wait. Go Packers......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

guyjin

There is photo evidence in there of child abuse!  :shock: :o

You knowingly allowed children to play N64!  [-X [-(

thrush

RR1980

nice! looks like you guys had a great turn out and a fun time was had by all! :)

Mathius

Sure wish I was there. :( If you end up doing this a again next year I'll hopefully be able to join yous guys.

SMF

looks like fun was had by all, People like you keep the old school tournaments alive.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Mathius on 09/19/2011, 12:24 AMSure wish I was there. :( If you end up doing this a again next year I'll hopefully be able to join yous guys.
It was fun, but also very draining.  I literally had one or two people helping me and my kids did a great job.  I didn't really plan it out as well as I had thought.  I did pretty much everything.  Hooking up, bringing materials (forgetting some), in charge of collecting entry fees, ordering damn pizzas, managing things not working, switching games and running tournaments.  Still had a good time though, through the second half of the day (4-8pm) we really didn't have too many new people walk in, so I got to play a bunch of games with people there.  It was a pretty good time, and I'm sure we'll do it again.  I need to get a group of about 4 people to run it with me I think next time.  One guy who came and did a computer presentation with iPads and Linux stuff, suggested we kick off the new with next year's in February.  At first I was thinking, eesh, would I really want to go through this again in 5 months, but then after you think about it.  It might be good to get all my stuff out and tested before MGC, so who knows.

All in all, it was a good time.  We had 23 paid attendants, and I came out losing a bit money wise, but the place was cheap and has great pizza, and I got to hang out with some actual retro gamers in the area. 

Speaking of MGC, we need to get talks moving again about what we're all expected to bring for turbob fest.

Mathius

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/19/2011, 12:52 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 09/19/2011, 12:24 AMSure wish I was there. :( If you end up doing this a again next year I'll hopefully be able to join yous guys.
It was fun, but also very draining.  I literally had one or two people helping me and my kids did a great job.  I didn't really plan it out as well as I had thought.  I did pretty much everything.  Hooking up, bringing materials (forgetting some), in charge of collecting entry fees, ordering damn pizzas, managing things not working, switching games and running tournaments.  Still had a good time though, through the second half of the day (4-8pm) we really didn't have too many new people walk in, so I got to play a bunch of games with people there.  It was a pretty good time, and I'm sure we'll do it again.  I need to get a group of about 4 people to run it with me I think next time.  One guy who came and did a computer presentation with iPads and Linux stuff, suggested we kick off the new with next year's in February.  At first I was thinking, eesh, would I really want to go through this again in 5 months, but then after you think about it.  It might be good to get all my stuff out and tested before MGC, so who knows.

All in all, it was a good time.  We had 23 paid attendants, and I came out losing a bit money wise, but the place was cheap and has great pizza, and I got to hang out with some actual retro gamers in the area. 

Speaking of MGC, we need to get talks moving again about what we're all expected to bring for turbob fest.
MGC is going to be a test run for me. I'll be better off once I actually get there and do it hands on, then next year I'll have more to go on. What would be real cool is if we got some Ghostbusters like jumpsuits and put Turbo patches on them. :) That would be expensive though lol.

majors

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/19/2011, 12:52 PMI didn't really plan it out as well as I had thought.  I did pretty much everything.
Live'n learn, not like getting married and having kids came with a book or anything, 'eh! I'm glad you came out with a positive outlook...and in a few months you'll forget all the pain, only remember the fun times (<- that's from experiance)

Gotta split the load, son! With MGC we _are_ that split load...just support one console or one room. MGC secures the venue, collects the $$$ and deals with the mess. Since BMW is close to me, we can pool the southeast Turbo resources(um, that being Bryon and I) and drive up(not that I've talked to him about that idea). I've already got stuffs needed for a retro game room already! Have Turbo, will travel.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

JoshTurboTrollX

NECRO POSTSX<LS!!!!

Aw heck, thought I'd mention this here to those that care-
Pizza n' Games III is coming up this Saturday as I'm happy to say that we're still continuing the retro themed gaming show in our small central WI area!

I moved the venue across town to a friend's bar/bbq restaurant as he let me use the dining area from 10am-6pm free of charge. 

Last shows:
I have videos from PnG I and PnG2

Attendance from 2011 was around 20-25 and last year we had around 30-35 range. With us not needing to pay the $85 for a conference room for the older place I think we might actually turn our first profit this year!  LOL.  Still $3 a person with prizes for those that cosplay or come up with creative costumes.  We've got actual sponsors that donated a total of $100 in gift cards from a local hobby shop (The Laserdisc place) and a video game store! Expanded the video game section to 12 consoles (PC Engine and Turbo DUO included!!) and added more Board game and RPG games as I've had some DM/GM guys contact me about running one off adventures!

I've been getting quite a few texts/ PMs on FB this past week from people looking to come and game. Even two guys that wanted to do a podcast from the event!  This one feels like it's got a bit more 'importance' to it in comparison to the first two years, but I guess we'll see once its all done and over with.

I plan on taking more pics and videos from this years show and can share once the show kicks off.

Here's to hoping we hit 50 peeps this year!!

roflmao

Sounds awesome!  Good luck to you.  I won't be able to make the trek this year (saving my outing for Octurbofest), but I will be going to a gaming gathering on Saturday and bringing some obey, so you can consider it a sister-convention. 

Or maybe a long-lost cousin convention.  Or maybe not even that.  I think there's only about a dozen people going. :D

JoshTurboTrollX

Well, two days removed from the big event and I've got to say, this was a great experience.  Over 50 people showed up, we ran 11 consoles ranging from Atari to Dreamcast and added a crapload of board games (Which actually was VERY popular this year!) 

Here's a video link for those that want to see some footage along with pictures I managed to take.

Running the #s.  I had $40 cash in the register to begin the show, had roughly 53 in attendance I believe most paid (A few may have snuck by...) and bought myself and my wife dinner + a few drinks throughout the day for $42.  We had $160.00 at the end of the con -$40 for change in the register and another $42 for our food/drinks and we made $80 profit on the day!  I'm putting $120 of this in the pot for next year's and we'll see if we can keep this ball rolling.

:)  Couldn't be more happy!!

Here's to us keeping our momentum going forward to PnG IV in 2014!   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D&gt; =D&gt;

bob

Dont you have forumites to work on?

J/K...its awesome you organized this and have realized growth year over year. 
Now take this show on the road!  Create a mobile gaming unit and come to new england.
 :lol:

Mathius

Nice going, Josh! Maybe one year I can come up and help.

NecroPhile

Looks like y'all had a good time.  I'm glad it turned out well (profitable and no thievery).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Holy Cannoli! I didn't see this until today!

Good to see the experience was positive and rewarding. If you lived in a reasonable place, like NJ/NYC, I would gladly help out.

:pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 10/13/2013, 02:00 PMHoly Cannoli! I didn't see this until today!

Good to see the experience was positive and rewarding. If you lived in a reasonable place, like NJ/NYC, I would gladly help out.

All this means is that you need to move to the Midwest.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 10/13/2013, 03:47 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/13/2013, 02:00 PMHoly Cannoli! I didn't see this until today!

All this means is that you need to move to the Midwest.
Well-played, comrade.  :pcgs:

JoshTurboTrollX

Started revamping the site for this September's show.  Final booking meeting to happen tomorrow morning!  Really nervous/excited to find out what quadrupling our space will cost us!

Check out our site and pix updated for more info about the show-

Also, would love to see a few forum pals make it up nort' for the event.  Lots of decent fishing weather in mid- September... hehe... However, there isn't much more to offer other than trees and rivers for Central Wisconsin...

tggodfrey

I might come up Josh, its the least I can do since I come over and visit your wife and drink your beer when your at work!
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

synbiosfan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 05/16/2014, 01:35 PMCheck out our site and pix updated for more info about the show-
That's cool!

Not too far and something I'd consider going to.
The only bad part is the Lions play the Packers the next day so a MI plate might draw unnecessary attention :P

Ninjainspandex

Hey! A fellow Wisconsinite!  I'm from Hartland WI unfortuneately that is a quite a bit aways from Merril, probably 4 hours each way.  Now if you had a meet up in say the Dells about halfway that would work :D

roflmao

I wish I was closer, but I don't think I'll be able to make it this year. I *am* hoping to make it to VGS Turbofest though!

I love the way you styled the website.  Good luck on this year's event!

turbokon

I so want to go.  I may not make it to another turbo meet until next year's MGC.  I haven't seen my folks since the move from Kansas to Georgia over a year ago.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

JoshTurboTrollX

The show went super SUPER well.  We had more attendees this year and the gamble on moving to a much larger venue paid off!!  Now to start plans for next year!  :)

cr8zykuban0

that's awesome what you are doing! It does have potential to be something big! best of luck dude

esteban

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/22/2014, 06:00 PMThe show went super SUPER well.  We had more attendees this year and the gamble on moving to a much larger venue paid off!!  Now to start plans for next year!  :)
Awesome!!!

IMG

I love that you are continuing to do this.

Why, I remember when you were just planning the first one...

JoshTurboTrollX

Hey guys, NECRO POST!

Just wanted to update the couple of you following.  :)

The show continues, we're expecting big things and the next date is THIS SATURDAY!!  The big news this time around is that Cdamm from Windy Games is coming all the way from Chicago to be a vendor for the show!  It's a pretty big deal, and we're really lucky he's willing to give such a small show a chance.  :D

Really hoping for a good turnout and hope it goes without too much drama.

Will update this thread with pix and vids from the show once I have them.  :)
Event facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1552272648391145/

JoshTurboTrollX

Hey!

This thing is still going, and actually growing a little each year!  I had 14 vendors this year with one coming over from Michigan! Ranging from retro games, board games, to toys.  It's really cool seeing this thing continue to blossom! 

It's probably going to stick to being a Labor Day Weekend tradition for us, so if you're ever in the neighborhood.... ;)

Check out this video a couple "Youtubers" made about the event.  Most of the convention stuff starts at about the 4:00 minute mark.  :)

xcrement5x

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/06/2017, 11:00 AMHey!

This thing is still going, and actually growing a little each year!  I had 14 vendors this year with one coming over from Michigan! Ranging from retro games, board games, to toys.  It's really cool seeing this thing continue to blossom! 

It's probably going to stick to being a Labor Day Weekend tradition for us, so if you're ever in the neighborhood.... ;)

Check out this video a couple "Youtubers" made about the event.  Most of the convention stuff starts at about the 4:00 minute mark.  :)
Josh, we all know you were at this last weekend instead: https://wiscowchip.com/

No licking!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

JoshTurboTrollX

Bahahah, guilty!!  I am a 4x champeen of the utter blow!