RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Stupid question about arcade Space Harrier

Started by Joe Redifer, 02/11/2007, 08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Today I bought a brand new Mission Stick for the Sega Saturn.  It works with Space Harrier and After Burner to recreate the arcade experience as much as humanly possible.  It's freakin' awesome.  But there is one thing about the arcade version of Space Harrier that I don't quite recall... and that's if UP was UP (moving Harrier to the top of the screen) or if it was reversed like After Burner and UP was DOWN.  Does anyone know?

If my memory serves correctly, UP was UP in the arcade.  But playing with the Mission Stick having UP and DOWN reversed feels ever-so-slightly more natural.  But I want the arcade experience!  I imagine that it might have even been a dip setting in the arcade where the owner could configure it, so there may not be one correct answer to this.  But damn, with that Mission Stick I feel like the old days back at the arcades.  I remember when arcades used to exist and they were worth going to.

Keranu

Are you telling me that the Mission Stick does not have the arcade feel?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

No, I am telling you that the Mission Stick DOES have the arcade feel.

termis

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/11/2007, 08:40 PMToday I bought a brand new Mission Stick for the Sega Saturn.  It works with Space Harrier and After Burner to recreate the arcade experience as much as humanly possible.  It's freakin' awesome.  But there is one thing about the arcade version of Space Harrier that I don't quite recall... and that's if UP was UP (moving Harrier to the top of the screen) or if it was reversed like After Burner and UP was DOWN.  Does anyone know?
Hmm... As chairman Kaga says, if my memory serves me right, I somehow recall having opposite controls.  What's the default setting for console versions of Space Harrier?  I reckon that's probably how the arcade was set up (unless it's all different for different versions).

Joe Redifer

The console versions of Harrier are set up so that UP is UP.  I think.  It feels wrong to play UP is DOWN with a control pad, but just the opposite with a stick.  Funny thing is that UP is DOWN works perfectly for After Burner and other flight games with either a pad or a stick.

PCEngineHell

Load it up on mame. It may even be adjustable in its setup dip menu.

Joe Redifer

MAME no longer works on my machine.  That thing is a pain in the ass.  Every new version that's released breaks more games than it fixes.

PCEngineHell

Go back and try a older version then like .77. I still have a full rom set for that version and it runs well.

Joe Redifer

I have version 0.103u2.  Of course it is for the Mac.  I don't know why, but MAME will no longer run on this machine... ANY version.  I do have a PC.  Not sure if it is awesome enough for MAME, though.

CrackTiger

I just tried out Space Harrier in Mame and up = up.

Normally I prefer inversed vertical control in these types of games, mission stick or pad.

I never got into SH before, but it sure did look cool in Mame.   :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Looks even cooler on the Saturn with the Mission Stick!

Anyway thanks for that answer.  I find that if I am sitting on my lazy ass with the Mission Stick on a table, it feels best with UP = DOWN.  If I stand up like I would at a real arcade, suddenly it feels better as UP = UP... but just for Space Harrier, not After Burner.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/13/2007, 01:07 AMLooks even cooler on the Saturn with the Mission Stick!

Anyway thanks for that answer.  I find that if I am sitting on my lazy ass with the Mission Stick on a table, it feels best with UP = DOWN.  If I stand up like I would at a real arcade, suddenly it feels better as UP = UP... but just for Space Harrier, not After Burner.
Hmm, perhaps the hydraulic version had up as down (I seem to remember that it might as I used to push up to tip the cabinet forward in the bonus stages). The stand-up cab probably had up as up.

CrackTiger

I don't know if anyone remembers the arcade at the amusement center I mentioned recently, but I went back last night and stumbled upon a sit down Space Harrier unit I somehow missed last time.

Well, I tried it out and sure enough, up = down and vicey versey. I guess Mame uses the opposite control to better suit keyboard/gamepad play.

It was still hard to control, since you reach the edge of the field of movement very quickly. Like you only get to move around the center half of the screen or something.

Shortly after trying it, I couldn't find my girlfriend. When I finally tracked her down she was playing the full sized hydraulic(?) Galaxy Force II, spinning all around. "It was awesome" she says.  :P

I forgot to bring my video camera, but hope to video all the classic arcades next weekend(new ones I noticed include Kunio Dodgeball, Frogger and Centipede).
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

I would buy Galaxy Force 2 for the Genesis, but it doesn't use the FX chip.  I don't buy any games that don't use the FX chip.

PCEngineHell

LOL I have it complete,and i have more fun playing it then I ever did Star Foxs sucky slow undetailed 3d flatshaded polygon FX ass. :P Who needs FX chips,not me ! ! !

Dark Fact

To think FX chips were considered "revolutionary" at one time. :roll:
Quote from: PCEngineHellLOL I have it complete,and i have more fun playing it then I ever did Star Foxs sucky slow undetailed 3d flatshaded polygon FX ass. Razz Who needs FX chips,not me ! ! !
Who needs potato chips? :)

I tried Space Harrier at an arcade years ago but the mission stick got overworked by some fatass playing the game previously and it was fucked ever since.  The controls became too clunky! :evil:
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!