RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

New Hudson mobile game ad shows TG16 controller

Started by evilmax17, 10/13/2006, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilmax17

Just got the new issue of EGM, and there's a big 2-page advertisement showing off Hudson's new mobile games (TG16 ports).  Much to my surprise, there's a big TG16 controller in the ad!

Nice to see some official TG16 gear in a magazine again.  Brought me back to the early 90s.
IMG

AlexKidd

I just looked at it and I agree it's cool to see that in egm. I knew they made Military Madness for cell phones but now there's a whole bunch of these games. I'd like to check some of them out.

Keranu

That sounds rad as hell, does anyone have any scans of this?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ParanoiaDragon

Yes, scans would be nice!  BTW, I just downloaded Bonk's Return, it's cool, but, since my phone isn't the hottest thing out there, I can't play the upgraded version :?
IMG

Joe Redifer

I scanned it for ye.  Click to see bigger picture.

IMG
IMG

Keranu

Excellent ad! Thanks a lot for the scan, Joe! The ad actually reminds me a lot like the older Turbo Grafx 16 game ads.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: "Keranu"Excellent ad! Thanks a lot for the scan, Joe! The ad actually reminds me a lot like the older Turbo Grafx 16 game ads.

It totally does, you're right.  The way the screenshots are tilted or warped, things at angles, etc.  Colours are different thoug.

OD

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

Keranu

Quote from: "Odonadon"
Quote from: "Keranu"Excellent ad! Thanks a lot for the scan, Joe! The ad actually reminds me a lot like the older Turbo Grafx 16 game ads.

It totally does, you're right.  The way the screenshots are tilted or warped, things at angles, etc.  Colours are different thoug.

OD
Yeah the colors do give it a different look. Good eye.
IMG

VestCunt

Bomberman Kart looks sweet.  Unfortunately, I'm one of those anti-cell phone guys.  It would be awesome if there was a way to dump these cell phone games on something like a PCE Flash Cart and play them on a real system.
(I  can dream, can't I?)
Topic Adjourned.

cheezio

i wonder if you can get these for nokia fones? or if its all just motorola?

akamichi

I like how they have a picture of Fatal Fury in there.  Is that one of the cell phone games too?  I don't remember that game ever coming out in the US from Hudson. :)

Too bad the US never got Arcade card though.  Then again, no big loss.

TR0N

Quote from: "vestcunt"Bomberman Kart looks sweet.  Unfortunately, I'm one of those anti-cell phone guys.  It would be awesome if there was a way to dump these cell phone games on something like a PCE Flash Cart and play them on a real system.
(I  can dream, can't I?)
Ditto i would bother if hudson at least did a TG16 collection for the DS.

Meh to cell phone games  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CrackTiger

It's cool that they just threw in the Turbo Pad without an explanation. Even though none of the kids with their fancy hi-tech portable phones will know what it means. I just wish that I could get any of these games(mainly Nectaris) here.

I actually noticed this ad right away and planned on scanning it in to show everyone as well... then the Xbox 360 PSU demo hit. I've only now managed to free myself days later (hence the lack of posts) after learning that your character won't cross over into the full version.

So I've got another week to get my fill of TG/PCE before getting sucked back in.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PCEngineFX

Oh hey, I hit the PSU beta as well this past weekend...got my character up to lvl 10.  I plan to buy the PC version of PSU when it drops next week.

And for those who liked the ad.........guess who took the shot of the TG pad ;)
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

Keranu

I shoulda known that you had something to do with that ad ;) .
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Pcenginefx"Oh hey, I hit the PSU beta as well this past weekend...got my character up to lvl 10.  I plan to buy the PC version of PSU when it drops next week.

And for those who liked the ad.........guess who took the shot of the TG pad ;)

Get. OUT!

Seriously, that very cool and explains the quality of the image.

I think I got to level 12 on PSU before discovering the bad news. I guess we won't get to adventure together since you're getting the PC version.  :(
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

_Paul

So how does PSU compare to the original? Is it a bit more complex liek a 'proper' MMORPG or is it still fairly shallow (not that it was a bad thing at the time of the original, I loved PSO).

CrackTiger

Quote from: "sunteam_paul"So how does PSU compare to the original? Is it a bit more complex liek a 'proper' MMORPG or is it still fairly shallow (not that it was a bad thing at the time of the original, I loved PSO).

Well, being a crazy old school 'gamer' who still loves dinosaurs like the PC Engine, I think that PSO still has better gameplay (KISS) and will always want a true PSO sequel.

But PSU takes the best features I know of from "modern" MMORPG's as well as gives us pretty much everything PSO fans asked for.

You only have one attack button for 3 beat combos. There is a button you can use for special attacks (Photon Arts) that have been set to the equipped weapon, some of which also combo, but they are independant of the rebular attack combos. So you can perform a full 3-beat combo and immediately follow it up with say a 2-beat Photon Art combo.

Guns don't have combos, you can just just fire away. But they use up PB(?) energy just like the Photon Arts. Each weapon has it's own PB bar, so when it gets low, you can switch to a new weapon which will still be fully charged. You can click the right analog stick to enter a first person mode with giant cross hairs and aim at monsters without locking on to them.

It looks like only Forces can magic at all. And I assume that any magic you cast uses PB from the equipped weapon that you have to link a technique to. I don't think I'll be playing as a Force anytime soon.

You can pay a fee to switch classes at anytime. It looks like you level up based on your race.

Anyways... in the demo alone, there were almost as many areas to play in as PSO Ep I & II, there are multiple cities which give the illusion that they're bigger than PSO's, you can have a party of up to 6 players, you can buy new clothes to dress up however you want and armor is only represented by tattoos on your clothes. Best of all, there's no more Section ID b.s.

And most importantly, it's really fun for my friend and I, who spent a few years and thousands of hours on the Dreamcast and Gamecube PSO's.

I'm finishing up some videos right now that I'm going to put on youtube.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: "CrackTiger"Get. OUT!

Yah, I still have the 300+ dpi version of the controller somewhere around here....

Quote from: "CrackTiger"I think I got to level 12 on PSU before discovering the bad news. I guess we won't get to adventure together since you're getting the PC version.  :(

Damn, you are buying the 360 version?  :cry: x2 ... I'm only buying the PC version because my old PSO friends will be playing that.  Otherwise, I would have played it on the 360 for the achievements and 5.1 audio.
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

In PSU, I love the fact that you have your own room and that you can decorate it however which way you like.  Other people can visit it as well and take a look around, as well as buy items you may have made to sell.
IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Pcenginefx"
Quote from: CrackTigerGet. OUT!

Yah, I still have the 300+ dpi version of the controller somewhere around here....

Quote from: CrackTigerI think I got to level 12 on PSU before discovering the bad news. I guess we won't get to adventure together since you're getting the PC version.  :(

Damn, you are buying the 360 version?  :cry: x2 ... I'm only buying the PC version because my old PSO friends will be playing that.  Otherwise, I would have played it on the 360 for the achievements and 5.1 audio.

I also like the voice chat. It was a welcome addition when I played the Xbox PSO after playing the DC & GC versions. Do you know if the PS2 or PC versions have it as well?

Quote from: "Pcenginefx"In PSU, I love the fact that you have your own room and that you can decorate it however which way you like.  Other people can visit it as well and take a look around, as well as buy items you may have made to sell.

I tried FFXI for a while on Xbox 360, but I hated the slow pace/subscription scam and that you couldn't play through on your own.

The PSU rooms are much nicer than the FFXI ones. I like having a mag to evolve instead of the same Mog staring at me forever. Its also cool that others can visit your room online, since its a real motivation to decorate. I didn't bother doing any decorating or mag feding, since I only had a few days to play it.

You know, I'll probably end up buying the PS2 version as well, since I had to play every console version of PSO. So we may run into each other eventually, after I've settled into the 360 version.  :)

grendelrt

I will be playing PSU on 360 if anyone wants to add me to their buddy list. Same as my screen name. I got to lvl 12 so far, we killed one of the bosses a couple times. Oh as far as leveling goes, it is, Your class lvl (Hunter, FOrce, Ranger), player level, Photon art levels. Each are independent. When you reach certain levels in your class you can advance to expert classes. They are specialized in one area or mix multiple classes. Your character level keeps leveling no matter what class you are. I found this site a little while ago, its got great info:

http://psupedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

esteban

Quote from: "Pcenginefx"And for those who liked the ad.........guess who took the shot of the TG pad ;)
No way! :)

The only reason the pad is in there, I guess, is because Military Madness and some Bomberman games were on TG16. It rocks that Hudson threw that pad in there... maybe they are subtly trying to raise the awareness of TG16 brand since the Wii's Virtual Console is on the horizon?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "grendelrt"I will be playing PSU on 360 if anyone wants to add me to their buddy list. Same as my screen name. I got to lvl 12 so far, we killed one of the bosses a couple times. Oh as far as leveling goes, it is, Your class lvl (Hunter, FOrce, Ranger), player level, Photon art levels. Each are independent. When you reach certain levels in your class you can advance to expert classes. They are specialized in one area or mix multiple classes. Your character level keeps leveling no matter what class you are. I found this site a little while ago, its got great info:

Thanks for the link. I've been wanting to get a clearer idea of the advanced Class leveling. I'm hoping to ventually be able to use techs as a Hunter.

Quote from: "stevek666"
Quote from: "Pcenginefx"And for those who liked the ad.........guess who took the shot of the TG pad ;)

The only reason the pad is in there, I guess, is because Military Madness and some Bomberman games were on TG16. It rocks that Hudson threw that pad in there... maybe they are subtly trying to raise the awareness of TG16 brand since the Wii's Virtual Console is on the horizon?

I was just surprised that they'd show it without some kind of tag line like, "Play classic TG-16 games on your cell phone!", or something.

Because the average person would probably not really notice it in the background and just assume that it's one of those generic gamepads used for advertisements.

ParanoiaDragon

Not to mention Bonk :D
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"

Not to mention Bonk :D
OOPS! But I guess most folks would not even look twice at the gamepad, as CrackTiger mentioned. I think he's right... most folks would think the pad was a third-party / generic controller.

I looked for *any* Hudson game from my provider (verizon)... I only see Bomberman Kart and I already have Military Madness. Under what category can (would) I find Bonk?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "grendelrt"I will be playing PSU on 360 if anyone wants to add me to their buddy list. Same as my screen name. I got to lvl 12 so far, we killed one of the bosses a couple times. Oh as far as leveling goes, it is, Your class lvl (Hunter, FOrce, Ranger), player level, Photon art levels. Each are independent. When you reach certain levels in your class you can advance to expert classes. They are specialized in one area or mix multiple classes. Your character level keeps leveling no matter what class you are. I found this site a little while ago, its got great info:

My Gamertag is: o BLACK TIGER o

I'm setting my alarm to wake up early on Tuesday morning, go buy it and hopefully have it up and running by noon.  :)

ParanoiaDragon

Do you have Verizon?  It came out this month for Verizon, next month, I think it'll be Cingular, month after that T-mobile, something like that.  I found it in a section called What's New.  But I'm sure it's either in Action or Classic, but my phone doesn't have true internet on it.  All I can do is search for games, music, etc., in a Verizon shop(not sure what else to call it :? )

I must admit, on my phone, it's incredibly slow, & it looks like the old version they made(before the upgrade).  I'm assuming, if I had a better phone, I could get the newer version, & it'd run better.
IMG

CrackTiger

The other day I tried to trudge through the tiny slow menus of the Fido website on my girlfriend's phone and did find Bomberman Kart at least now.

Its so hard to search for games though, but hopefully I can at least find Nectaris.

ParanoiaDragon

I've had Millitary Madness for awhile, it was in Verizon's "strategy" section.
IMG