Is the GT worth getting?

Started by IDCHAPPY, 06/30/2011, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDCHAPPY

I must admit to shooting in my pants over these when they first came out, now after getting my Duo R i have my eye on then again. Be handy for testing some games too without having to plug and unplug the R(so the kids dont mess with it).
Any thoughts?  :D

soop

Allow me:

1. Batteries.  You will need rechargables.  Eneloops are good, and they last about 4 hours with 6 of them.  Regular batteries are the same.
2. Screen.  The screen is quite dated, and the pixel density is quite low.  If you play on a normal screen, the difference is marked.  To this end, some games are quite hard to play (or at least I find them harder to play on the GT).  And they don't look as good.
3. Capacitors.  If the caps haven't been replaced, they will need to be at some point.  People offer this service for £25, so it's not so bad, but with batteries and cap change, it bumps the price up.
4. Size.  It's not pocket sized, so it's a "if you have a bag with you" deal.  Like holidays, or every day for me.

However, you DO get to play PCE games wherever you are.  That's amazing.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

IDCHAPPY

Ta man, just a case of finding the right one( doesnt have to be mint, just not buggered :lol: ).
This guy seems to be doing the refurbs for a decent price?:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-GRAFX-16-PC-ENGINE-GT-HAND-HELD-REPAIR-SERVICE-/140482789919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20b56d421f

thesteve

I currently have 2
the screen contrast differs greatly from one to the other.
the one i have had for yours has a very solid display(high contrast fast refresh), however the one i got later is uneven in its contrast and somewhat washed out and the pixels are a bit slow.
either is good alone, but when side by side its striking

CGQuarterly

I personally wouldn't get one.  After playing handhelds with superb screens like the PSP, DS, and GBA SP with the brighter screen, I just can't tolerate older handhelds like the Game Gear, Lynx, etc.  The ~100 snaps that the GT is going to set you back could go towards buying a few awesome games.  Especially if you just want to use it to test games.

Chris

NecroPhile

You'll still need to pull out the Duo for CDs, so I say no; they're cool and all, but they just aren't practical as a primary means of OBEYance.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PunkCryborg

I'd say definitely pick one up if you can get a good deal maybe $30-40. Yeah the caps will need to be changed as already stated. I love mine and It's an awesome part of my collection. I actually use it quite a bit, but I have an unlimited supply of batteries available to me though so it might be different if I was always buying them.
It's great in the car or for short trips. Plus people are always intrigued by it when you play in public. It fits more in the novelty section but its so cool though

CrackTiger

If you aren't sure, then you shouldn't bother. But they are definitely worth it. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Its highly unlikely that you'll use it on even a semi-regular basis. If that bothers you, then don't get one.
IMG

thesteve

must agree, i dont use mine often, but love being able to

csgx1

For me, it's definitely worth getting.  I use my GT a lot more than both my Duo-R and Supergrafx(which may not be saying much) combined.

Though I'm a bit biased because, first of all, I wanted one since the day it was released but couldn't afford one....10 years later(in 2000), I was finally able to get one.  Also, I'm kind of an oddball, in which I prefer handhelds over consoles. 

Find one for a good price and you won't regret it.

thesteve

i wouldnt pay more than $50 for a non working unit

soop

Quote from: csgx1 on 07/02/2011, 12:17 AMFor me, it's definitely worth getting.  I use my GT a lot more than both my Duo-R and Supergrafx(which may not be saying much) combined.

Though I'm a bit biased because, first of all, I wanted one since the day it was released but couldn't afford one....10 years later(in 2000), I was finally able to get one.  Also, I'm kind of an oddball, in which I prefer handhelds over consoles. 

Find one for a good price and you won't regret it.
me too.

I just pickdup my second, boxed for £50,, so bargains can be had!

blueraven

VestCunt

I won't weigh-in on whether it's worth it, but I will argue that a GT is better than an Express.  Since text-heavy, password, and back-up RAM games can't really be played on a small screen, the  inability to play English Turbochips isn't a big loss. Then consider that people are now paying 10x more for U.S. Bomberman '93 and other Turbochips than the import versions and the GT is a clear winner. 
Topic Adjourned.

thesteve

thats why i have a switchless region mod

BlueBMW

Quote from: thesteve on 07/02/2011, 09:33 PMthats why i have a switchless region mod
And the custom PCBs / components have been ordered in order to manufacture such mods aplenty :mrgreen:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

rag-time4

Id be curious about getting a GT. I have an express, but ive had trouble with image fight crashing after stage 5 when using a hucard converter.

Maybe teh GT is more compatible with image fight.

Tatsujin

I've played pretty far in IF on my GT back in the days. I think it was beyond stage 5, but I really can't promiss you that.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

thesteve

i expect that the converter may have had issues

roflmao

I love having a Turbo Express.  Sure any game with text is pretty much out, but there are still a lot of very playable games.  For instance, I just completed Ninja Spirit on my Express a couple of days ago.  And the Alien's Cursh/Devil's Crush games are perfect for the Express.  The Bomberman games are great as well.

Years ago I also played through Final Lap Twin on the Express, but that was a lesson in frustration as some of the codes I wrote down didn't work so I'd have to go back to an earlier code.  But I made it! (it was a long trip)

rag-time4

Quote from: thesteve on 07/03/2011, 09:15 PMi expect that the converter may have had issues
I've played through image fight several times on my US duo with no loading trouble. I agree the problem may be with the converter, however, the problem only popped up on the express and not my duo.

thesteve

the chips are the same, so it wasnt a difference in the express.
further the express and gt appear to use the same main board (per the check boxes on the board)

Tatsujin

Yeah steve. But when it comes to the chips, aren't the chips in a regular pce/tg16 the same as in a gt/express as well?

thesteve

yes they are

i suspect its the same board on the GT

IDCHAPPY

Cheers for the response's guys, i'm watching one  :wink:

soop

Quote from: guest on 07/03/2011, 09:31 PMI love having a Turbo Express.  Sure any game with text is pretty much out, but there are still a lot of very playable games.  For instance, I just completed Ninja Spirit on my Express a couple of days ago.  And the Alien's Cursh/Devil's Crush games are perfect for the Express.  The Bomberman games are great as well.

Years ago I also played through Final Lap Twin on the Express, but that was a lesson in frustration as some of the codes I wrote down didn't work so I'd have to go back to an earlier code.  But I made it! (it was a long trip)
Definitely.  As per a thread on here some months ago, I decided to pick what games to take out more carefully.  Air Zonk is amazing, but again, much easier at home.

good portable games include:
PC Kid series
Bomberman (could swear they were developed with the GT in mind)
soldier series
Puznic
Alien Crush/Devil Crash

Hmmm, can't remember the rest, but think big sprites, clear colours, and in shooters, large bullets.

RR1980

Quote from: guest on 07/03/2011, 09:31 PMI love having a Turbo Express.  Sure any game with text is pretty much out, but there are still a lot of very playable games.  For instance, I just completed Ninja Spirit on my Express a couple of days ago.  And the Alien's Cursh/Devil's Crush games are perfect for the Express.  The Bomberman games are great as well.

I agree with roflmao you should avoid any games that require reading text to any extent  when you are playing it on the GT. I grew up with one and playing a game like Yokaidochuki was a total pain in the butt cause the map already took up half the screen and then because the GT is only able to show something like 60% of the resolution of the PC engine white text was particularly a bitch to see.

thesteve

i had no issues playing final lap twin quest mode

roflmao

"8" and "B" look extremely similar as do "0" and "O".  I think both are used in Final Lap Twin codes, though it's been so long I could be wrong.  I think there were others, such as "I" and "1". But I haven't tried playing through it since I last beat it on the Express and I want to say that was back in 1997 or so.  Still, it's on my to-do list to give another go at next time I go on an extended trip. :)

But actually playing is another story.  It's a great game to play on the Express/GT.

soop

Today, I packed in Devil Crash, Neutopia II, Bomberman '94 (can't beat that crab!  especially when you start on him with no power-ups!), be ball, and makia prince dor.. Kid dracula.

spenoza

Did the express have any expansions lines or leads like the regular PCE units? I keep imagining it might be possible to construct a save unit for one.

soop

Quote from: guest on 07/05/2011, 10:35 PMDid the express have any expansions lines or leads like the regular PCE units? I keep imagining it might be possible to construct a save unit for one.
From what I've heard from other people, the hucard slot is very similar to the expansion port.  The discussion was about using a GT or Shuttle with a CD Unit, and the concensus was that it was almost possible, but there was a pin missing or something.

It's a bit vague, but someone who knows what they're talking about will be able to expand on this.

BEERS AND VIDEOS

Quote from: IDCHAPPY on 06/30/2011, 11:08 AMI must admit to shooting in my pants over these when they first came out, now after getting my Duo R i have my eye on then again. Be handy for testing some games too without having to plug and unplug the R(so the kids dont mess with it).
Any thoughts?  :D
Absolutely, get it! Sure, the caps will likely need to be replaced - and the pixel density is low by today's standards, but it's a seriously amazing machine - and when you remember that it was released in 1990, you'll be even more amazed.

A couple of suggestions to make your Express/GT experience even better:

1. Invest in the Aneloop batteries. They provide a good 4-6 play time and charge quickly.

2. Get a Neo PCE-Flash card. While the compatibility of ROM files can be iffy, find about 10 games that you like and that work and you have a library of great games on one card. Just makes it all that much more portable.

3. Find someone on here to replace your caps - video and sound. I have a GT that I didn't even realize was full of leaky caps, until I plugged in the headphones and only one side was giving sound. You want your GT or Express to be in top working condition. BlueBMW did an awesome job replacing the caps on my GT.

And finally, 4. Either get a converter (good luck finding one that isn't outrageously priced) or find a place that sells a duel boot GT or Express. I bought one from a great guy in Hong Kong. He sells systems that can play PC Engine or Turbo Grafx games with the click of a switch. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here who could do the same at a cheaper price that buying overseas. Red Ghost does a great job at modding stuff!

Hope that helps.

BEERS AND VIDEOS

Quote from: guest on 07/05/2011, 10:35 PMDid the express have any expansions lines or leads like the regular PCE units? I keep imagining it might be possible to construct a save unit for one.
While a save unit would be AWESOME (and I'd buy one pretty much immediately), I've found that taking a picture of codes with my phone works great, too. That way you always have the codes with you and there's little room for error in copying them down.