Hucard sleeves? Any need workarounds?

Started by razzie.putin, 07/03/2011, 11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

razzie.putin

I feel like this HAS to have been discussed somewhere on here, but I can't find it so I thought I'd ask.  If it has been discussed, my apologies...

I have several loose cards with more on the way.  I had hoped to go to google, do a magic search, and find someone selling the sleeves/slipcases on the cheap, but couldn't find anything.  Anyone know where to buy these things, if possible? 

Alternately, anyone have any nice creative workarounds to replace the lack of sleeves?  I've tried card sleeves (baseball cards, for example) but they seem a bit too stiff.  Get the job done, I suppose, but I'd like to find something a bit more like the originals.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

BlueBMW

These things are an excellent alternative to original hucard slips.  They fit nearly perfect and look / feel nice.  Plus they're rediculously cheap!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220608871519
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

Sadler

I use a Samsonite business card holder similar to this one for loose HuCards. Sorry for the horrible cell phone pics!

ETA: I swear sometimes reading my posts I wouldn't know I'm a native English speaker.
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Thanks for that link, BlueBMW!  You get a "Get out of one banning FREE" card!

CGQuarterly

I bought some of those things off of eBay a couple of months ago.  You can definitely tell the difference between them and the original sleeves, but in a way these are better because they are a more snug fit.

I like Sadler's idea of using a business card holder as well.  That's the kind of thing to keep an eye out for at the thrift stores.

Chris

PunkCryborg

Those credit card sleeves are great, I bought 30 a little while back. I just don't get how they can make something like that in China, sell it on ebay with paypal and ebay fees and then ship it across the world for $1.

BlueBMW

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/04/2011, 01:34 AMThanks for that link, BlueBMW!  You get a "Get out of one banning FREE" card!
I can't take all the credit.  Someone else linked me to them.  Can't remember who it was...  :-k
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

PunkCryborg

thrush

Cool!  I was just getting set to ask this question myself.  Thanks a bunch for this thread!  ^^b

Joe Redifer

They look smooth unlike the later HuCard sleeves which were grainy and rough.  I really don't like those.

Arkhan Asylum

In a pinch you can also get a box of trading card game deck protector sleeves.  They're durable plastic, and some come in fancy colors!
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

sheath

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/03/2011, 11:53 PMThese things are an excellent alternative to original hucard slips.  They fit nearly perfect and look / feel nice.  Plus they're rediculously cheap!!!

Thanks for this!  I just snagged ten.

Dyna138

Sweet, I've been looking for some replacement sleeves for my loose Hueys too and those look perfect. Thanks for the link Blue.

PunkCryborg

they are so cheap you might as well grab a bunch cause if you buy a lot or whatever there's always  a ton of games without sleeves. I've never received a Japanese game that was missing a sleeve though.
 We need to find a good source for the foam squares that match the originals in PCE games. I wonder if they were meant to be in every Hu card case?

csgx1

Quote from: elabit on 07/04/2011, 10:40 AMi think it was warpig
Totally forgot about these and I've been meaning to get some.  Thanks bluebmw for the reminder and war pig for originally buying/posting about these. 

War pig posted a helpful pic with a Hu....
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9622.msg168724#msg168724

They do look slightly smaller. Anyone know how the fitment is on the thicker Hucards like Street Fighter II, Tennokoe Bank, Arcade Pro, etc?  Definitely won't be a deal breaker if they don't fit since I think I have only one loose Tennokoe Bank hu and it can easily be swapped with a original sleeve. 

They look like great replacements for cheap.

razzie.putin

thanks for the info!  I've odered a bunch of those sleeves, and plan on checking out the cases at office depot.  That samsonite holder looks pretty sweet

PunkCryborg

I have a tennokoe bank in one and it fits snug but it's not hard to take out

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: csgx1 on 07/04/2011, 02:29 PM
Quote from: elabit on 07/04/2011, 10:40 AMi think it was warpig
Totally forgot about these and I've been meaning to get some.  Thanks bluebmw for the reminder and war pig for originally buying/posting about these. 

War pig posted a helpful pic with a Hu....
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9622.msg168724#msg168724

They do look slightly smaller. Anyone know how the fitment is on the thicker Hucards like Street Fighter II, Tennokoe Bank, Arcade Pro, etc?  Definitely won't be a deal breaker if they don't fit since I think I have only one loose Tennokoe Bank hu and it can easily be swapped with a original sleeve. 

They look like great replacements for cheap.
They do fit, they're slightly smaller and the plastic is much thinner.
--DragonmasterDan

neoxeno

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/03/2011, 11:53 PMThese things are an excellent alternative to original hucard slips.  They fit nearly perfect and look / feel nice.  Plus they're rediculously cheap!!!

+1. Got 20 of them a few months back. Work perfectly.
Search : SUPERGRAFX
You may have meant to search for soporifics.

roflmao

Quote from: Sadler on 07/04/2011, 12:17 AMI use a Samsonite business card holder similar to this one for loose HuCards. Sorry for the horrible cell phone pics!
I went the collectible card 3-ring binder route.  I picked up the sheets and the cheapest hard cover 3-ring binder at Target.  Please excuse the horrible masking job on the images.  I cranked these out really quickly.

IMG

Here's the front of the binder.  I found the logos online and printed them out on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper.

IMG

And here it is open.  I added a little Scotch tape flap to the top layer because they kept wanting to slide out.  I love being able to see the artwork on the chips.  US gamers got robbed.  I need more PCE HuCards.

IMG

Behind the card sheets are sheets I found at one of the big office stores (I forget which one) that hold manuals for games I don't have cases for.  I think I originally read about these sleeves from the old Turbo Mailing List.  I think they are designed to hold audio cd covers for the folks who keep their audio cds in binders.

Those credit card sleeves that can be found on eBay are awesome for when I take the Express out.  Most of my games came with a sleeve but it was nice to get enough to cover my remaining games and have enough for games to come (or to give away to friends that need 'em) for only a couple of bucks.

PunkCryborg

looks great dude! You should get some sparky labels and slap those manuals and games in a case though. That's how my Airzonk is and it is all nice and cozy with the other games in cases.

Marll

I may have to order some of those as a backup. I don't have many games without sleeves, but the ones that don't drive me crazy.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

razzie.putin

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/03/2011, 11:53 PMThese things are an excellent alternative to original hucard slips.  They fit nearly perfect and look / feel nice.  Plus they're rediculously cheap!!!

I just got mine and they work great!  Thanks again for the info!

sheath

Likewise, these work great.  No more rattling Turbo Chips for me!

henrycsc

Here's another alternative that I posted a while back.  https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8915.msg152485#msg152485
Sorry about the missing pics - I will try to find them again.

The CD Business card sleeves are slightly larger, so they work great for games like Street Fighter 2, but the opening is on the short end, so you slide the huey from the top rather than the side.
Here's a stack on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Business-Card-Media-Sleeve-Clear/dp/B0035Y1AYS/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1312883603&sr=8-41
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

xcrement5x

I also got a batch of these and they work great for all my loose hueys, thanks for the heads up!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

GohanX

Quote from: Sadler on 07/04/2011, 12:17 AMI use a Samsonite business card holder similar to this one for loose HuCards.
Thanks for the idea, I would have never thought of that! I had to go to a few different stores to find one that had large enough pockets to fit a hucard, but I got a nice leather one from OfficeMax that fit them perfectly (including flash cart and SF2) and also a smaller one that will hold about 10 cards.

For those who might want to do the same, my experience is that the cheaper ones (say, less than $10) usually won't work since the pockets are too small. The more expensive leather ones (mine was $13.49) have larger more flexible pockets. Also, you can only get about 1/4 the amount that the holder says. I figure the 120 card holder will hold about 30 hucards total.

Keith Courage

I just recently got these. They will only work if you have a case for the game you want to use. Otherwise the chip will slide out. When in a case the plastic part that molds around the chip also holds the plastic sleeve in very well. http://cgi.ebay.com/100-New-Card-Penny-Sleeves-Sport-Nonsport-Cards-/120595403626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c140bd36a#ht_610wt_952 Can't complain with 100 sleeves for under $2