OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-

Started by GameFreak, 07/19/2011, 05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schweaty

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/21/2018, 11:17 PMIt plays Super CDs, the N10 is basically a Turbo Duo in a small and very heavy metal rectangle case.  You will need the Arcade Card for the games that require it.
You will need an arcade card duo.  An arcade card pro will not fit in the slot.  In addition to system card 3.0, It also has the same built in battery save as the duo/super cdrom.

SignOfZeta

Wow, I thought you were supposed to plug a Save-kun into it after spending $2000.
IMG

gilbert

Plugging in a Save-kun (which is the same thing as MB128; it was named differently just because it was sold by Koei) won't give you typical backup RAM function though. You could only save with games supporting(or requiring) the MB128, so if the PAC didn't have built-in backup RAM (which it did have) you're screwed up, unable to save in most of the games(and a large portion of the PCE library are RPGs).

As for SG support, IMO they should instead include SG support in the original DUO already, as it was meant to be the ultimate all-in-one system (and signified the death of the core concept as they eventually decided that you didn't need the expansion slot to connect to any other things). They just gave up the SG completely really early, long before even someone would consider making a CD game with SG support.

SignOfZeta

I was joking. The NEC PAC equipped LA is a Duo, almost exactly, as has been said. It has everything a Duo has, so of course it can save. NEC never made a CDROM2 system that couldn't save. This isn't really a thing that has to be explained in such detail.

It can also play CD+G! Because every Duo can...and regular audio CDs...because every Duo can.

And yeah, the SGX was canceled before it was released but got released anyway. They never cared to do anything with it beyond a launch to recover some expenses. The system was %100 dead as hell before any Duo was released let alone the LA. Any additional expense would have driven the cost up on a machine that was already TWICE the price of the competing system...in the name of playing five games nobody bought and don't look very impressive compared to many CD games. The only real fuckup with the SGX was its basic conception. NEC killing it as fast as possible with ultimately the right choice. It was a very dumb path they went down.
IMG

TaoPaiPai

I'd like to join the LA club, please.

Picked up a beautiful LaserActive unit from a local seller over the weekend. He even included about 40 LDs (regular movies, not games).
Can't wait to try out the NEC PAC I was lucky to find on the cheap in Japan.

TheClash603

Quote from: TaoPaiPai on 03/19/2018, 04:53 PMI'd like to join the LA club, please.

Picked up a beautiful LaserActive unit from a local seller over the weekend. He even included about 40 LDs (regular movies, not games).
Can't wait to try out the NEC PAC I was lucky to find on the cheap in Japan.
What games have you picked up?

xcrement5x

I think he just got movies?  If I could guess of a game that would be included, my prediction would be Pyramid Patrol though :p
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 03/19/2018, 10:19 PMI think he just got movies?  If I could guess of a game that would be included, my prediction would be Pyramid Patrol though :p
Pyramid Patrol pops everyone's LA cherry.  That game has really been around the block.

TaoPaiPai

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/19/2018, 07:20 PMWhat games have you picked up?
The seller only had a huge LD movie collection and he gave me a bunch of his duplicates.
I found a copy of Hi-Roller Battle for my first LA game, however!

TaoPaiPai

I connected my XRGB-Mini to my LA with the Sega PAC over the weekend using just straight composite video.

It spit out this really strangely colored image with everything I tried on the PAC.

Strangely, LDs looked perfectly fine. Connecting the composite to the TV directly played perfectly fine and I tried several other consoles on the composite input of the XRGB and they all worked fine.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

https://imgur.com/sECj35O

Asmikace

Let me in the club, got the Genesis and TG 16 addons for mine with original controllers.
Does anyone have the JB Harold Blue Chicago Blues game? I just want to know if some has it since I cannot find one.

TheClash603

Quote from: Asmikace on 04/03/2018, 04:48 PMLet me in the club, got the Genesis and TG 16 addons for mine with original controllers.
Does anyone have the JB Harold Blue Chicago Blues game? I just want to know if some has it since I cannot find one.
It pops up here and there, I found mine a few years ago.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Asmikace on 04/03/2018, 04:48 PMLet me in the club, got the Genesis and TG 16 addons for mine with original controllers.
I have both the MegaLD and LD-ROM2 versions.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

xcrement5x

It exists, the US version of Blue Chicago Blues is pretty rare,probably the rarest US release, but I've seen the JP versions show up occasionally.   
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Asmikace

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/04/2018, 04:46 AM
I didn't realized they made a LD-ROM2 version. I am also looking for Don Quixote but you have to make sure to get the US release for English.

BlueBMW

I have an English don Quixote of you're interested
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

xcrement5x

Quote from: Asmikace on 04/13/2018, 09:24 PM
I didn't realized they made a LD-ROM2 version. I am also looking for Don Quixote but you have to make sure to get the US release for English.
Yeah, both of the JP versions for Blue Chicago Blues (MegaLD and LDROMROM) have the English options as well, it's pretty easy to switch when you start the game.

schweaty

Quote from: BlueBMW on 04/13/2018, 10:33 PMI have an English don Quixote of you're interested
If homeboy passes on your don Quixote,  I'm interested

Asmikace

Quote from: guest on 04/13/2018, 10:47 PM
Yeah, both of the JP versions for Blue Chicago Blues (MegaLD and LDROMROM) have the English options as well, it's pretty easy to switch when you start the game.
Speaking of which, I know there was supposed to be a MegaLD release of Manhattan Requiem but never happened. If it wasn't the fact that MR was only available for the TG16 unit, I wouldn't spent the time and money for it.

Speaking of unreleased games, I wonder if anyone have any prototypes or evidence of protos of Laseractive games.

TheClash603

Quote from: Asmikace on 04/14/2018, 05:39 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/13/2018, 10:47 PM
Speaking of which, I know there was supposed to be a MegaLD release of Manhattan Requiem but never happened. If it wasn't the fact that MR was only available for the TG16 unit, I wouldn't spent the time and money for it.

Speaking of unreleased games, I wonder if anyone have any prototypes or evidence of protos of Laseractive games.
I don't own it, but I've seen Myst prototypes a few times.

There is a second rumored proto (forgetting name now), but I never saw it.

BigusSchmuck

I have it as well, not sure if I'm willing to sell it but am up for trades..

haightc

I am a relatively new LA owner (early this year), I been slowly picking up titles as I can.
So far I have Rocket Coaster, Quiz Econosaurus, I-Will, Hi-Roller Battle, Virtual Cameraman 1+2, Pyramid Patrol.

Right now I am just trying to pickup titles for when I can find them under a $100 before I try to start going after my most wanted title.

My most wanted titles are
Hyperion: this is the game I played in Incredible Universe when it was on my display and made me want the system.
JB Harold Manhattan Requiem and Blue Chicago Blues:   I really like this game series, LA versions I think are ones that are in english or have an english option after Murder Club.

TheClash603

I never saw a LA until I bought one, it's cool you had experience with one back in the day.

I love Rocket Coaster, what do you think of it?

If you enjoy the Virtual Cameraman games, and you should, you gotta add Dr. Paolo.

haightc

I haven't really been able to play anything yet because I need repair my laseractive still

esteban

I know I shouldn't be, but I am envious of this stoopid goddamn LA.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: haightc on 04/18/2018, 05:27 PMI haven't really been able to play anything yet because I need repair my laseractive still
Said every person who ever first bought a LA.

SuperDeadite

Vajra 2 is still affordable in Japan.  It's not cheap, but compared to the big boys like TG and RB, its a fraction of the cost.  And one of the best exclusives on the system really.

Paolo is the most annoying game ever made.  The videos are so delightfully cheesy that I love the game anyway, but trying to play this game will have you punching holes in the wall.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TheClash603

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/18/2018, 08:19 PMVajra 2 is still affordable in Japan.  It's not cheap, but compared to the big boys like TG and RB, its a fraction of the cost.  And one of the best exclusives on the system really.

Paolo is the most annoying game ever made.  The videos are so delightfully cheesy that I love the game anyway, but trying to play this game will have you punching holes in the wall.
You mean RP.

Was too confused by RB, which is nowhere near as cool of a name anyway.

xcrement5x

Quote from: TheClash603 on 04/18/2018, 09:25 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/18/2018, 08:19 PMVajra 2 is still affordable in Japan.  It's not cheap, but compared to the big boys like TG and RB, its a fraction of the cost.  And one of the best exclusives on the system really.

You mean RP.

Was too confused by RB, which is nowhere near as cool of a name anyway.
You mean RA, which is similar to RP and RB but a much smaller format.

TheClash603

NecroPhile

There's a decent looking PCE Blue Chicago Blues up on ebay.  I'd like to have a copy, but $800 = shit fire!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Freeway2

How hard was it importing games for this system back in the day.
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"