10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

MSR *WILL* be finished, come hell or high water... hell more likely.

Started by OldRover, 08/16/2011, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Yes, it's finally finished at long last. It's going to final beta in a couple of days for the last bit of testing. Pre-orders will be opening up in a couple of hours, just getting everything set up for it now. If you want to pre-order the game, make sure your shipping information in Paypal is correct... we don't wanna have anything get shipped off to the wrong address. :) The preorder bonus was extended to 100 units, so there's still a few left. The price is the same as before, $35. Since it will be shipped this year and there's no plans for the price of USPS shipping to increase, we can do the shipping cost up-front this time so Paypal doesn't get to double-dip. Shipping is a flat $4.95 anywhere in the world, making the total $39.95 per unit. I'll be able to do some price cuts for multiple copies depending on where the order's going.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

henrycsc

Awesome!  I'll get you the money as soon as you have everything set up and give us the go-ahead!
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

OldRover

I set up a Paypal button on wayback://www.frozenutopia.com and it should work... emphasis on "should". :)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Mishran

Payment sent for my copy! Can't wait to play it!

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

OldRover

Thanks everyone!

It's going off to final beta testing in just a couple of days... I have a couple of very rare and obscure yet important bugs to hunt down and squash, and beta testing should iron out any remaining ones that I haven't found yet. The only other detail that is left to be added is the remainder of the French script, to which I'll get the script to Arm as soon as possible so we can get it translated and inserted.

Senshi

Congrats that's awesome. I can't wait to play it!

Also the site doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

OldRover

Hrm... our site is up... though one of Paypal's object servers does seem to be offline.

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

hoobs88

I pre-ordered my copy over a year ago...do you still have record of that?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

OldRover

I have the order list backed up 23 times in various places. :)

Senshi

Ok looks like its all good now.

Quote from: hoobs88 on 08/16/2011, 09:10 PMI pre-ordered my copy over a year ago...do you still have record of that?
I was just about to ask the same thing...

RR1980

ohohoh I am gonna get one too! :)

jlued686

I'm pretty sure I preordered a long-ass time ago. Any chance of you posting a list of people who did pre-order?

Opethian

just like Eric B and Rakim I'm paid in full 8)
IMG

jlued686

Blam! Found my transaction:

Web Accept Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #3VX45640UM675742B)

Original Transaction
 Date    Type    Status    Details    Amount
 Nov 20, 2009   Payment To Digital Blackie Services    Completed    ...   -$35.00 USD

Related Transaction
 Date    Type    Status    Details    Amount
 Nov 20, 2009   Add Funds from a Bank Account    CompletedYour transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete.Your transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete.    Details   $35.00 USD

Business Name:   
Digital Blackie Services    (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
Email:   
sales@digitalblackie.com

Total amount:   
-$35.00 USD
Fee amount:   
$0.00 USD
Net amount:   
-$35.00 USD

Item amount:   
$35.00 USD
Sales Tax:   
$0.00 USD
Shipping:   
$0.00 USD
Handling:   
$0.00 USD
Quantity:   

Item Title:   
Mysterious Song Pre-Order
Date:   
Nov 20, 2009
Time:   
09:30:52 PST
Completed 

hoobs88

I'm pretty sure I paid $35 as well. Does that mean we owe $5 for shipping?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

OldRover

No... for the original pre-orders, the shipping fee was waived because of the wait. I was going to charge shipping later on, but since it took so long to bring to completion, free shipping ended up being the least I could do for making everyone wait so long.

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: Opethian on 08/16/2011, 10:48 PMjust like Eric B and Rakim I'm paid in full 8)
I did what Ope did, but not as hip.

Thanks for doing this we appreciate it.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: hizaygizirlz on 08/17/2011, 01:22 AM
Quote from: Opethian on 08/16/2011, 10:48 PMjust like Eric B and Rakim I'm paid in full 8)

All we have to do now is let the rhythm hit em', & we should just follow the leader as long as we don't sweat the technique! :dance:
IMG

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 08/17/2011, 03:13 AM
Quote from: hizaygizirlz on 08/17/2011, 01:22 AM

All we have to do now is let the rhythm hit em', & we should just follow the leader as long as we don't sweat the technique! :dance:
Something something Mysterious Song Make 'em Clap to this.

But back on topic as you can see we are all really excited.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

DragonmasterDan

I paid yesterday after your announcement in the shoutbox.
--DragonmasterDan

TheClash603

Can't wait to get mine, this is great news!

Bernie

Aww hell!!  :)  Been waiting on this post.  Congrats!

JoshTurboTrollX

Congrats!!  I will have to send payment in a few weeks!!  hope I can still get in on the fun early Sept!!

Thank you!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jlued686

Quote from: The Old Rover on 08/16/2011, 11:52 PMNo... for the original pre-orders, the shipping fee was waived because of the wait. I was going to charge shipping later on, but since it took so long to bring to completion, free shipping ended up being the least I could do for making everyone wait so long.
This is very cool, man. Thanks! I'm looking forward to having another NEW Duo game to play. Congrats on finishing the game!

NecroPhile

Woohoo!  :dance:

My address has changed since pre-ordering, so I've messaged ya my new one.

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Windy

I will get payment out in a couple days :) Thanks rover Cant wait to see MSR and the new project Jungle Bros is lookin good!
Proud Member of the F@CK Ebay Club
MONSTER HUNTER TRI FC: W272XV

_Paul

Marll

Will these be typical of other released homebrews, printed on CDs and with manual and case? Are there pictures of what we could expect the finished product to be? Very ready to pre-order this, but just want to see what I'd be getting media and packaging wise.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

nat

Hold the press! This means beta testing should finish up five years ahead of schedule, in 2015!
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OldRover

Quote from: Marll on 08/17/2011, 07:58 PMWill these be typical of other released homebrews, printed on CDs and with manual and case? Are there pictures of what we could expect the finished product to be? Very ready to pre-order this, but just want to see what I'd be getting media and packaging wise.
These are properly pressed CDs with 8-page manual and case. The cover art hasn't been finalized yet; still deciding on the front cover, whether to go with the silk background + title, the portrait cover, or Desmond's painting. The back cover art was already decided. If I get the chance today, I could put together a mockup of sorts that shows roughly what the finished product will look like.

termis

Cool.  My address has also changed since preordering -- I'm updating you my address via pm.

VestCunt

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that another big step has been made toward completion, but why use the word "finished" when there's still testing to do, bugs to fix, one script to add, art to finalize, and discs to press?  A natural disaster, family emergency, frozen paypal account, computer crash, mix up at the replicator, or any number of things (knock on wood x5) could still delay things quite a bit and cause another pre-order debacle.
Topic Adjourned.

OldRover

For the same reason that Windows versions are "finished" six months before release... the product is complete, though it still needs a round of testing to ensure the gold standard. That's where we are right now. The game itself is finished, but we need to ensure that it is totally perfect before it's released. While final beta happens, the rest of the details get filled in, such as the cover art. "Finished", in the software industry, means "nothing left to add". :)

Fortunately, I've already accounted for all of the issues you've mentioned, and then some. Natural disasters don't really happen here (we live in a bunker-style concrete house in case of hurricane or floods, and have many days of power backup in case we lose power), the paypal funds are transferred out to a real bank account almost instantly to avoid another paypal fuckup, computer crashes are accounted for by making regular daily backups to twelve different locations across our local network and all of our internet servers, replication issues are virtually always caused by disc damage, which will be avoided by providing a dozen gold-standard archival discs... this time, I've got backup plans for the backup plans so there's little that could actually go wrong. The final beta test will not take long, as virtually all the issues were tackled in the first three major beta runs... all that was left to fix was two obscure-and-hard-to-track-down bugs, one of which has been isolated and fixed, the other will be addressed all day tomorrow. The final beta will be in the hands of the beta testers within 36 hours, and we plan to go to press in mid-September. Pressing will take 10 to 15 business days due to the backlog of orders the pressing house has. Since it's getting close to Xmas, I would assume the latter, which means that the shipment should arrive at our distribution points in early October, at which time they will be immediately shipped out to all the customers.

The only thing that could possibly go wrong is my mother-in-law... she came rushing in the house yesterday morning while I was debugging and dumped a PC on my lap, saying "fix this! I need it tomorrow morning!" without any context besides the fact that the woman who owns it (a real ditz) couldn't find her documents. Turns out that her account was damaged, and the school had let go of their entire tech staff (so the head of the DOE could pocket more federal funds) so they had no access to any of the original software. Since I'm the only experienced tech they know, guess who got the task of fixing the system... and I didn't even get paid for it. :( Oh well... life goes on.

nectarsis

Quote from: OldRover on 08/18/2011, 08:51 PM"Finished", in the software industry, means "nothing left to add". :)
Except the aforementioned French translation ;)  Like I said last night "finished to you (software industry), and the vast majority of peeps on here are pretty different.    I def see what Vestcunt brings up and agree.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

VestCunt

Thanks for the reassurance Rover (and good story, too).  I'm psyched, but sometimes my cynicism wrestles with my optimism.   :D
Topic Adjourned.

OldRover

Quote from: nectarsis on 08/18/2011, 09:11 PMExcept the aforementioned French translation ;)  Like I said last night "finished to you (software industry), and the vast majority of peeps on here are pretty different.    I def see what Vestcunt brings up and agree.
Not so much "add" as it is "replace"... right now, where French should be, it's in English. Just requires a string swap. It's about 1K of text in total, and will take about 5 minutes to do thanks to a nifty little string manipulation utility I crafted earlier this year for this very purpose.

Arkhan Asylum

lol, the games not finished if there is stuff to add/replace, and testing to be had.

In the single-release-no-patches-ever-happening side of the industry, finished means "Ready for pressing" or "Ready for release". 

Windows isn't a proper comparison.  Any software that has upgrade patterns/release cycles is allowed and expected to need service packs and other tweaks down the road... so they can say its "finished", release it, and at the same time already be working on Service Pack 1....

So unless you have a way to download patches for Super CD games that can be applied to a pressed CD, I would not consider the game is finished...especially if you have a bug that needs addressed.

I say this only because I don't want to see you put your foot in your mouth again.

I didn't open Insanity for preorders until the game was literally 100% done, burnt to a master CD, and ready to go to the pressing house.  When I claimed it was finished, it literally was finished and no longer being worked on.  It came down to "The game is done, I can't afford to front the money, 30 of you need to pony up some cash", :)

Also, don't bank on 10-15 business days for the pressing house.  Shoot for ~20, just to be safe, lol.

Handle the discs like brain surgery.  Go straight from fresh package--->CD tray that you precleaned, and then take it out and drop it right back into the case.  In a dust free room.  One little speck or nick will make them go NOPE, and toss the disc out.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Besides a dust free room, we need some moon suits, anti-static shock cream, & sweat repellant!  :D
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

This really does sound awesome!!

How many pre-orders do you have left?  How many in total are you looking to press?  I guess I'm only asking because I was looking to purchase the game roughly a month from now, and want to make sure there will still be some available at that point.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Emerald Rocker

That's great news about MSR being finished!

I just finished my own Turbo homebrew game (Thunder Force Octology).  The only things left to do are design and code it.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

TheClash603

Wow, you guys jumped all over this!  I know the game has taken a while, but it seems we should be more supportive in this thread to someone developing for the TG16?

Anyway, hopefully my gratitude can motivate the team's next project to be a spiritual successor to Yo Bro!...  no one wants Neutopia 3 anyway.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/20/2011, 01:25 AMWow, you guys jumped all over this!  I know the game has taken a while, but it seems we should be more supportive in this thread to someone developing for the TG16?

Anyway, hopefully my gratitude can motivate the team's next project to be a spiritual successor to Yo Bro!...  no one wants Neutopia 3 anyway.
Heh, I'd rather fix Yo Bro, rather then make a sequal personally. :)  There's a few different projects that could maybe be our next release, though I think it more likely to be Jungle Bros.  I wish I could say the music end of things(for JB) is zipping by, but, I'm still working on cleaning & repairing my synth, while also working on tearing up my yard to put in African Daisy's, flagstone pavers, etc. all by myself, each week, hoping the managers don't come down on me for not finishing the project soon enough, or not good enough, or who knows.  It's kinda strict here, which can be good(keep out the riff raff), but sometimes it comes down on me if I don't mow my lawn as soon as they'd like :P
IMG

shubibiman

I don't want to be rude or anything but even if I'd like to get one of the 100 preorder copies, I'd rather order once it is pressed and all. I'm confident that it will be released by the end of the year but too many annoucements got people disappointed in the end. So I totally agree with Arkhan on this.

But I'm really looking forward to playing the game :)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Senshi

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/20/2011, 01:25 AMWow, you guys jumped all over this!  I know the game has taken a while, but it seems we should be more supportive in this thread to someone developing for the TG16?

Anyway, hopefully my gratitude can motivate the team's next project to be a spiritual successor to Yo Bro!...  no one wants Neutopia 3 anyway.
Screw you Clash. I do  :D  :P

OldRover

Yep, I knew that once one member of the clique had posted in this thread, Emerald Rocker would be along to add his own sarcastic two cents eventually. Thanks for being so predictable, ER. :P My life is now complete. :)

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: shubibiman on 08/20/2011, 05:06 AMI don't want to be rude or anything but even if I'd like to get one of the 100 preorder copies, I'd rather order once it is pressed and all. I'm confident that it will be released by the end of the year but too many annoucements got people disappointed in the end. So I totally agree with Arkhan on this.

But I'm really looking forward to playing the game :)
No worries, I don't think you're being rude.  It's very understandable, I'd probably feel the same way if I were you.

On a ligher note, I believe my synth working in perfect harmony again, just need to put it back together (fun fun FUN!) & continue working on music!
IMG

OldRover

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 08/20/2011, 07:39 PMNo worries, I don't think you're being rude.  It's very understandable, I'd probably feel the same way if I were you.
Indeed... couldn't have said it better myself.

Arkhan Asylum

well, in my case, I couldn't afford to press, so I needed the preorders to get the pressing done. 

I didn't open preorders until it was burnt/ready to be mailed/place was awaiting the package though...

im also really OCD and try to plan things out as much as possible lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!