RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

NES (on PCE) emulator

Started by BigusSchmuck, 11/06/2011, 04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigusSchmuck

I heard there was some work being done for a NES emulator for the PC-Engine/Turbo-Grafx, was curious if anyone knew any more information about it.

Arkhan Asylum

Tom was doing that.  He was emulating certain games, like Mega Man / Mega Man 2, and some other stuff.  Haven't heard much about any of that in awhile.

It wasn't like a "plays any nes rom you want" thing.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

I don't think it was emulation though, I think it was modifying the binary to make it run on the PC Engine.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Well whatever it was, its probably dead now.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BigusSchmuck

Thats a shame, would have been funny to say a 8-bit system is emulation yet another 8-bit system. ^^

OldRover

I wrote a CHIP-8 emulator for the PCE... but it was broken and didn't work. I then rebuilt it on the Nintendo DS and got it to work, but planned on putting it back on the PCE where I started it. I never did get to it though. I should some day. :D
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

The only thing the PCE should emulate is the MSX.

yeah!

OldRover

Make it happen! lol :D

Edmond Dantes

This is... an interesting concept, but I can't see much practical value in running an NES emulator on a PC Engine.

I'd rather NES games actually be ported.  Specifically, we need Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 (PC-E got part one... why not the rest?)

Arkhan Asylum

I have roms from the early 90s of NES games working on the PCE.  Some even have altered music.  SMB has PCE sounding music instead of straight ported music.

So, this was back in 1993.  It's more than doable now.  I doubt anyone will take the time to accomplish this.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Edmond Dantes on 11/07/2011, 12:11 AMThis is... an interesting concept, but I can't see much practical value in running an NES emulator on a PC Engine.

I'd rather NES games actually be ported.  Specifically, we need Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 (PC-E got part one... why not the rest?)
I 2nd that.  While I want to make new games for the Turbob, I also have a wishlist of games I'd like to bring over from the NES & remake them, like the Contra's, make them graphically arcade perfect, while keeping the layouts of the NES versions.
IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: OldRover on 11/06/2011, 05:23 PMI don't think it was emulation though, I think it was modifying the binary to make it run on the PC Engine.
It's actually both. There isn't really a good reason to try and emulate a 6502 when it can just run 6502 native code. Only the port writes and reads are patched in the binary (from lda port or lda port,x and sta port or sta port,x opcodes are patched to JSR xxxx since they are the same length). Everything else is realtime emulation; video, audio, mapper, etc. I love NES games, but there's no way I would spend the time to completely rewrite the hardware interface routines for native PCE hardware. My love for such games doesn't extend that far. Or rather, my free time required for such a thing.

QuoteI'd rather NES games actually be ported.  Specifically, we need Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 (PC-E got part one... why not the rest?)
Once the games are up and running, there's no reason why you couldn't upgrade them. I mean, other than taking the time to disassemble and understand the game structure/routines enough to modify them. I did this with Megaman 1. I RE'd the metasprite for the game objects, then changed megaman sprite itself to single 32x32 sprite frames (using more vram than what NES could access). I also upgraded the colors to 4bit. And I did this by upgrading the NES video emulation itself (added new functionality to unused bits in the sprite table entries) that didn't specifically break backwards compatibility. It allowed me to upgraded in steps without breaking a ton of stuff.

I did provided the source code templates and project files for people to make modifications themselves or get other NES games working on the core system, but I guess the setup is just too advanced for the average hacker or such a steep learning curve. I dunno. It does require you to be intimately familiar with both the NES and PCE on the lowest level. I only know of one person besides myself that actually did anything with my source files; an NES emulation author toyed with it to get Contra up and running on the PCE (although I have my own version up and running).

To the general public: don't expect anything from this. Yes, I do work on this stuff from time to time, but it's at my own leisure and for fun/hobby/etc. I'm doing this for myself and not specifically for the general public (which is why I've kept quite a bit of the other NES games running on PCE private), though I will share stuff publicly from time to time. So please no requests or such. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just don't want to lead anybody on or get peoples hopes up/whatever. If you have the know-how/experience though, and are interested in this sort of thing, I'd be happy to provide the material and explain any detail I can.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/07/2011, 05:48 PMI did provided the source code templates and project files for people to make modifications themselves or get other NES games working on the core system, but I guess the setup is just too advanced for the average hacker or such a steep learning curve. I dunno.
:roll:

Are you sure it's just a matter of noone else wanting to, or it not being documented well enough for anyone to bother wanting to sit and figure out what you're doing?

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 11/07/2011, 06:09 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 11/07/2011, 05:48 PMI did provided the source code templates and project files for people to make modifications themselves or get other NES games working on the core system, but I guess the setup is just too advanced for the average hacker or such a steep learning curve. I dunno.
:roll:

Are you sure it's just a matter of noone else wanting to, or it not being documented well enough for anyone to bother wanting to sit and figure out what you're doing?
Oooh, I'm sure the vast majority just don't give a crap about the PCE or want to do this in general. I have no delusions there. I'm sure there are plenty of smart people out there that could follow what's going on in the source code, provided the source with the rom itself (how it's used) and running it through an emulator/debugger. Not to mention I've personally offered to answer any questions or just help outright, to speed things along. Also, hacker types specifically don't have the luxury of comments let alone source code for most of their working environments. They take things apart and figure it out for themselves. My lack of comments in the source would have little to no effect on them.

Like I said, you need to know both the PCE and the NES hardware intimately in detail. Finding someone just for PCE that really know its in and outs, is hard enough by itself. I've been told by quite a few that are very capable low level console coders, RE'rs and such, that this was an incredible feat. So I'm not pulling that assumption out of my ass. At the very least, it makes for a steep learning curve - commented code or not. I'd say this isn't for beginning or intermediate console coders. But hey, I could be wrong :)

The Finland hacking team did this back in the mid 90's, but they specifically chose very simple games (relative to NES hardware use) and also rewrote portions of code to avoid some emulation problems/complexity (sometimes large parts and including the data). My approach is 98% emulation, 2% hacking. The emulation code and approach is much more complex as a result, but it makes the source more portable than game specific. And also results in less overall time in getting the game up and running.

BigusSchmuck

QuoteThe Finland hacking team did this back in the mid 90's, but they specifically chose very simple games (relative to NES hardware use) and also rewrote portions of code to avoid some emulation problems/complexity (sometimes large parts and including the data). My approach is 98% emulation, 2% hacking. The emulation code and approach is much more complex as a result, but it makes the source more portable than game specific. And also results in less overall time in getting the game up and running.
Curious, was that group responsible for the porting of the original Super Mario Brothers to the PCE? I for one would be interested in getting into programming/hacking again, but I fear my job takes up a good portion of my time these days...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/07/2011, 07:51 PMOooh, I'm sure the vast majority just don't give a crap about the PCE or want to do this in general. I have no delusions there.
There aren't many people interested in making a game run on a different machine when the original machine is perfectly fine and the end result is going to be the *same fucking experience*.  
There are even less interested in doing it on the PCE, because the PCE dev scene can be counted on two hands with spare fingers.

QuoteI'm sure there are plenty of smart people out there that could follow what's going on in the source code, provided the source with the rom itself (how it's used) and running it through an emulator/debugger. Not to mention I've personally offered to answer any questions or just help outright, to speed things along. Also, hacker types specifically don't have the luxury of comments let alone source code for most of their working environments. They take things apart and figure it out for themselves. My lack of comments in the source would have little to no effect on them.
Yes but when its a commentless environment, it's usually with something they give a shit enough about to figure out.  Not commenting your code and using that as an excuse is poor form.  If you're going to diddle around with stuff and want people to use it, document it.  Expecting people to figure it out is why no one uses things you do.  There's a difference between dismantling a rom dump, and dismantling something you've cooked up.

QuoteLike I said, you need to know both the PCE and the NES hardware intimately in detail. Finding someone just for PCE that really know its in and outs, is hard enough by itself. I've been told by quite a few that are very capable low level console coders, RE'rs and such, that this was an incredible feat. So I'm not pulling that assumption out of my ass. At the very least, it makes for a steep learning curve - commented code or not.
*shrug* I don't see how its an incredible feat.  It's neat, sure.  It could turn into something big.  But, like you even mentioned, this was done already around 1993 with a bunch of games including Arkanoid, which is awesome.

It was also done with lesser tools, and far less resources.  That's more of an incredible feat, IMO. TG hacking before TGHack was around.  

This is an incredible feat: http://www.tni.nl/products/gem.html

Gameboy emulated on an MSX. 

QuoteI'd say this isn't for beginning or intermediate console coders. But hey, I could be wrong :)
You probably are.

TurboXray

QuoteCurious, was that group responsible for the porting of the original Super Mario Brothers to the PCE? I for one would be interested in getting into programming/hacking again, but I fear my job takes up a good portion of my time these days...
Yes, they were the group. The colors are off and the music is too fast, but it's been theorized that the Finland group used a PAL modified PCE so that might explain this. It wasn't just SMB, they had 5 other NES games too. All though none of them use any mappers (simple 32k rom games) and they all use chr-rom (no vram for tile/sprite graphics, so you can preload it which saves a ton of work and emulation back end speed). They also did some Vic-20 stuff on the PCE. But I didn't look much into it (to see how much of it was rewritten hardware code or actual emulation). I've also done my own SMB nes rom for the PCE, but the sound emulation needs some more work (the sweep emulation for NES).

Unless you're specifically into this sort of thing or really want your favorite nes game running on the PCE, I'd personally recommend coding something else for the PCE. Out of all the games NES roms I've worked on for the PCE, Megaman is my favorite. I've logged tons of hours playing it on the PCE (not just testing, but just to play it/beat it). I still play it on the PCE (real system) over busting out the NES system. So for me it was worth the effort and time I put into it - not just for the novelty factor. I also made a hack to the Megaman rom to play CD tracks instead of the PSG tracks, but I could never find a full replacement sound track that I liked.

BigusSchmuck

QuoteYes, they were the group. The colors are off and the music is too fast, but it's been theorized that the Finland group used a PAL modified PCE so that might explain this. It wasn't just SMB, they had 5 other NES games too. All though none of them use any mappers (simple 32k rom games) and they all use chr-rom (no vram for tile/sprite graphics, so you can preload it which saves a ton of work and emulation back end speed). They also did some Vic-20 stuff on the PCE. But I didn't look much into it (to see how much of it was rewritten hardware code or actual emulation). I've also done my own SMB nes rom for the PCE, but the sound emulation needs some more work (the sweep emulation for NES).

Unless you're specifically into this sort of thing or really want your favorite nes game running on the PCE, I'd personally recommend coding something else for the PCE. Out of all the games NES roms I've worked on for the PCE, Megaman is my favorite. I've logged tons of hours playing it on the PCE (not just testing, but just to play it/beat it). I still play it on the PCE (real system) over busting out the NES system. So for me it was worth the effort and time I put into it - not just for the novelty factor. I also made a hack to the Megaman rom to play CD tracks instead of the PSG tracks, but I could never find a full replacement sound track that I liked.
Still neat nevertheless. A shame we won't see a public release of this stuff (better than seeing Doom and Halo on an atari 2600 IMO), but I understand why the reasoning behind it. Now redoing some of the sprites and music for NES games on a PCE (as some have stated), that could be pretty cool. Perhaps a near arcade perfect version of Ghosts N Goblins or the like.

spenoza

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/08/2011, 01:21 AMUnless you're specifically into this sort of thing or really want your favorite nes game running on the PCE, I'd personally recommend coding something else for the PCE. Out of all the games NES roms I've worked on for the PCE, Megaman is my favorite. I've logged tons of hours playing it on the PCE (not just testing, but just to play it/beat it). I still play it on the PCE (real system) over busting out the NES system. So for me it was worth the effort and time I put into it - not just for the novelty factor.

Any reason (other than the obligatory legal reason) you haven't released this out to the hobbyist crowd? I think I would have gone after Mega Man 2, personally. That one is my favorite in the series.

I see that you already have. Never mind.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/08/2011, 01:46 AMStill neat nevertheless. A shame we won't see a public release of this stuff (better than seeing Doom and Halo on an atari 2600 IMO), but I understand why the reasoning behind it. Now redoing some of the sprites and music for NES games on a PCE (as some have stated), that could be pretty cool. Perhaps a near arcade perfect version of Ghosts N Goblins or the like.
See:
The defunct Dragon Quest Remix project.
The probably abandoned like 10 year old Legend of Zelda port

There are not any high hopes here dude.

If I ever port an NES game to the PCE, its going to be Hydlide, and noones going to give a shit except Runinruder, :)

TurboXray

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/08/2011, 01:46 AMStill neat nevertheless. A shame we won't see a public release of this stuff (better than seeing Doom and Halo on an atari 2600 IMO), but I understand why the reasoning behind it. Now redoing some of the sprites and music for NES games on a PCE (as some have stated), that could be pretty cool. Perhaps a near arcade perfect version of Ghosts N Goblins or the like.
I'll still release this kind of stuff to the public when I feel it's in appropriate state or such or whatever; but I'm just not making any official commitments to anyone or scene or community. It's for myself first and foremost. I agree, redoing graphics tiles/sprites and music would be a great thing. Problem is, it requires disassembling the game and understanding all the routines and structure in order to modify it. That's no small task by any stretch of the imagination. It's tedious and very time consuming. But, the game itself is running on the PCE so there's no reason why anyone couldn't hack for upgrades at any point after its release. The problem is finding a capable rom hacker willing to do this for upgraded PCE ports. Finding pixel artists and musicians for such projects is the easy part. Especially if it's a well known title.

Sliver-X did a major hack of Dragon Quest for NES into a completely new game; Dragoon X Omega. I actually had his nes rom up and running on the PCE back in 2007. We talked a little bit about possibly redoing the graphics and music(CDDA) for PCE, but he was busy at the time working on the sequel to his game (running on the Final Fantasy 1 engine of the NES rom).  I had Dragon Warrior up and running then (fully playable/beatable), my first NES rom to run on PCE, and so it was pretty pretty simple to get his hack up and running on the PCE too. Hehe, it was technically a new RPG for the PCE. Would have been nice to play graphic/audio upgraded version of it, though. 

spenoza: Megaman 2 has started WIP since this summer and it requires additional video emulation support; I've just been super busy as of late. MM1 and MM2 are my favorite Megaman games. If no one ends up really caring or downloading/playing it when it's done, then that's fine - it'll still be worth it for me. I'll play the crap out of MM2 on my PCE.

Arm

Speaking of nes games, Sivak is finishing programming his last game Battlekid2 for the nes which will be available on real carts. The game is in some way similar to Rockman.
I was in charge of redesigning the characters portrait and creating the manual artworks. Who knows, if Sivak agrees, maybe the game could one day be ported to the PCECD. :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Arm on 11/08/2011, 02:05 PMSpeaking of nes games, Sivak is finishing programming his last game Battlekid2 for the nes which will be available on real carts. The game is in some way similar to Rockman.
I was in charge of redesigning the characters portrait and creating the manual artworks. Who knows, if Sivak agrees, maybe the game could one day be ported to the PCECD. :)
that would be cool.  Battlekid was pretty fun.  Kinda hard, but good.

Arm

Yeah, the game isn't very easy or forgiving.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Arm on 11/08/2011, 02:37 PMYeah, the game isn't very easy or forgiving.
Something about Mega man is that the people who know how to balance the game out don't work on it anymore...

Mega Man 9 and 10 for digital download are pretty frigging brutal.  Mega Man 3 for example was challenging but not cheap. 

:)

Keranu

If any coders are still up to porting/remaking Dragon Warrior to the PCE, I'm still down for finishing up the remaining sprites! I'm sure Paranoia_Dragon would be willing to finish up the soundtrack too. We got a lot of work done on that project, we mostly need someone to remake the tiles and then code it all together.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

BigusSchmuck

QuoteInsert Quote
If any coders are still up to porting/remaking Dragon Warrior to the PCE, I'm still down for finishing up the remaining sprites! I'm sure Paranoia_Dragon would be willing to finish up the soundtrack too. We got a lot of work done on that project, we mostly need someone to remake the tiles and then code it all together.
I would love to help, but I'm not that tech savvy to start on something like that. About the extent of my programming knowledge is creating a scroll demo using HUC. ^^ That and creating annoying programs for the good old Commodore 64. :P
QuoteIf I ever port an NES game to the PCE, its going to be Hydlide, and noones going to give a shit except Runinruder, Smile
And I thought I was the only one who liked Hydlide.  :mrgreen: Never did play the various sequels, but I do know that Hydlide 2 was on the MSX and there was a translation for it...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/08/2011, 09:21 PMAnd I thought I was the only one who liked Hydlide.  :mrgreen: Never did play the various sequels, but I do know that Hydlide 2 was on the MSX and there was a translation for it...
Hello new best friend.

You don't really need a translation for Hydlide 2.  There is hardly any text in it in the first place. Read an instruction book online and you are basically good to go.  You'll just have to work out the shop menus which is a 50/50 chance of you clicking on "buy/sell" and then "yes or no"..

Other than that, you literally don't read anything really lol 

Hydlide 3 on MSX has english mode built in.  You just toggle it on and enjoy broken english, compliments of T&E!

Hydlide 2 is fucking great, but there is ALOT of grinding.  There are a few tricks you can do to make it easier, but its still alot.

I like just murdering everyone.  It makes you evil and the shop wont sell you stuff, but once you are buff as hell, you can go back out and murder only bad people and get your FORTH back up, and be a good guy!

Then you play the fighting game in town and get your strength, etc. up. 

BigusSchmuck

QuoteI like just murdering everyone.  It makes you evil and the shop wont sell you stuff, but once you are buff as hell, you can go back out and murder only bad people and get your FORTH back up, and be a good guy!
Sounds like what I used to do in the early Ultima games and the ever ending quest to kill Lord British. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/181917/featuresthe-many-deaths-of-lord-british/
Ahh good times, good times.
Probably should pick up the other Hydlide games, even the Saturn one. Starting to wish I didn't trade off my Japanese Saturn now...
Anyway, I remember the first time I played Hydlide on one of those multi-cart NES demo systems back in the day and convincing my parents to get the game for me. That and Deadly Towers, won't go into details about that one. ^^
Anyway, back on topic, so it sounds to me that if you knew NES code, you basically knew 80% PC engine code as they used similiar cpus?

TurboXray

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/08/2011, 10:23 PMAnyway, back on topic, so it sounds to me that if you knew NES code, you basically knew 80% PC engine code as they used similiar cpus?
Coming from the NES to the PCE? Yeah. If you've coded with the 2A03 or 6502, you'll have no problem stepping into the 6280. The video hardware isn't the same though. The NES tilemap setup (mirroring options, sub divisions) is convoluted/complex, sprite size to banks and the attribute system too. The PCE video hardware in comparison is pretty straight forward in comparison (much like the Genesis IMO). Though if you're already used to the NES video setup, the PCE will seem pretty easy once you learn all the registers and such.

Arkhan Asylum

The PCE is easy in comparison to other 6502 based machines (NES, C64). 

So if you can deal with those, the PCE is simple.

But the expectations are higher, apparently. :-/ lol

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/08/2011, 09:47 PMI like just murdering everyone.  It makes you evil and the shop wont sell you stuff, but once you are buff as hell, you can go back out and murder only bad people and get your FORTH back up, and be a good guy!
That's how I used to play Ultima IV, when trying to beat it as fast as possible. :P It was so much faster when you know exactly who to talk to become enlightened with each virtue. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/09/2011, 11:51 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/08/2011, 09:47 PMI like just murdering everyone.  It makes you evil and the shop wont sell you stuff, but once you are buff as hell, you can go back out and murder only bad people and get your FORTH back up, and be a good guy!
That's how I used to play Ultima IV, when trying to beat it as fast as possible. :P It was so much faster when you know exactly who to talk to become enlightened with each virtue. :)
Ultima 1, I just robbed the weapons shop until I got a blaster or phazor, then stole a reflect suit, and then shot the whole planet :D

It's an interesting bug on Origins part.  They don't check the current game era (time and technology progress as you play/complete tasks) while stealing things.

So even if you're in primitive medieval times, you can steal the space age gear.  It's completely random, so just keep stealing til you get the good shit.

TurboXray

I saw this today:
 IMG

I recently released a SCD version of the newest build for people without flashcards (not the CDDA/red book version) and I guess someone made a cover for it. I recently made a trainer menu for Raiden with fragmare, so got me thinking of why not just including both the hucard and red book versions into a single SCD release. I'll need to get some art assets to make the boot menu (maybe some members from here could contribute; sprites,tiles,images,ideas. It's just the menu screen, but why not make it fun/fancy/whatever). What do you guys think? Again, this is just the boot menu. I'm not hacking the game sprites (though I do have a working build for that, a shame too) as I'm putting that free time into other more important things.

PS: I won't provide links here since per forum rules, but you can find links to the site in my signature.

Bernie

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/23/2012, 12:04 PMI saw this today:
 IMG

I recently released a SCD version of the newest build for people without flashcards (not the CDDA/red book version) and I guess someone made a cover for it. I recently made a trainer menu for Raiden with fragmare, so got me thinking of why not just including both the hucard and red book versions into a single SCD release. I'll need to get some art assets to make the boot menu (maybe some members from here could contribute; sprites,tiles,images,ideas. It's just the menu screen, but why not make it fun/fancy/whatever). What do you guys think? Again, this is just the boot menu. I'm not hacking the game sprites (though I do have a working build for that, a shame too) as I'm putting that free time into other more important things.

PS: I won't provide links here since per forum rules, but you can find links to the site in my signature.
Nice!!!  Do you happen to have images of the covers/inserts or just this pic?

burn_654

Quote from: RegalSinYou know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/23/2012, 12:04 PMI recently released a SCD version of the newest build for people without flashcards (not the CDDA/red book version) and I guess someone made a cover for it. I recently made a trainer menu for Raiden with fragmare, so got me thinking of why not just including both the hucard and red book versions into a single SCD release. I'll need to get some art assets to make the boot menu (maybe some members from here could contribute; sprites,tiles,images,ideas. It's just the menu screen, but why not make it fun/fancy/whatever). What do you guys think? Again, this is just the boot menu. I'm not hacking the game sprites (though I do have a working build for that, a shame too) as I'm putting that free time into other more important things.
Well, it is a good day to be a PCE enthusiast!  :pcds:
 :pcds:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: Bernie on 02/23/2012, 12:39 PMNice!!!  Do you happen to have images of the covers/inserts or just this pic?
Just this pic. And I only found it via a link from the forum is was posted at (that just happen to redirect to my blog). Which is why I'm ask, if pce fans (individuals or the community in general) wants to do something like this. I.e. make a manual, back jewel case insert, etc. That and some other stuffs.

Shrapnoid

Bonknuts, do you know Vagla, Speh3 or any of those guys? Vagla has done some Mega Man hacks and he, Seph3 and another guy were working on Mega Man Vengeance (The NES homebrew where you play as Bass/Forte).

If you can get in touch with any of these guys, they may be willing to help out on your Megaman to pc-engine port.

I've played it some and you did a great job. I've also noticed that if I change the file extension to .nes on the rom, Tile Layer Pro will display it.
Don't know if any of that matters but, I have a Megaman hack that I've been working with and if I ever find the time to get it done, thought about making it so it would work with your Megaman, especially since yours can run on PC-Engine and NES.

I wanted to try playing around with using the Wily Wars Sprites for enhanced graphics but, due to my vast ignorance and complete lack of coding knowledge, I've been running into some dead ends.

Anyway, just thought I'd run it by you and see if it's okay with you if I try anything like that.
I really would like to see a 16-bit quality graphics version of PC-Engine Megaman.
I'm VERY interested and I still think that doing 4, 5 and 6 would be a great 16-bit style continuation of what Wily Wars was.

TurboXray

Quote from: Shrapnoid on 02/23/2012, 07:25 PMBonknuts, do you know Vagla, Speh3 or any of those guys? Vagla has done some Mega Man hacks and he, Seph3 and another guy were working on Mega Man Vengeance (The NES homebrew where you play as Bass/Forte).

If you can get in touch with any of these guys, they may be willing to help out on your Megaman to pc-engine port.

I've played it some and you did a great job. I've also noticed that if I change the file extension to .nes on the rom, Tile Layer Pro will display it.
Don't know if any of that matters but, I have a Megaman hack that I've been working with and if I ever find the time to get it done, thought about making it so it would work with your Megaman, especially since yours can run on PC-Engine and NES.

I wanted to try playing around with using the Wily Wars Sprites for enhanced graphics but, due to my vast ignorance and complete lack of coding knowledge, I've been running into some dead ends.

Anyway, just thought I'd run it by you and see if it's okay with you if I try anything like that.
I really would like to see a 16-bit quality graphics version of PC-Engine Megaman.
I'm VERY interested and I still think that doing 4, 5 and 6 would be a great 16-bit style continuation of what Wily Wars was.

Shrapnoid, no - I don't know those guys. I don't know any Megaman/Rockman hackers. I did upgrade the PCE version for easy sprite enhancement - as if you're still working with the NES system (no PCE experience really needed at all). I'd love to get a community project going for this. If you know any megaman hackers, definitely let them know about this and that I'm interested in helping out in a PCE version hack.

Also yes, the huge majority of the rom is just the NES rom itself. Graphics and all. I didn't replace the any of the game code (music, video, etc). I just emulated it. But I also added emulation enhancement to unused bits of the NES regs. So you could in theory (and I've done in practice) include new graphic assets into the rom and use those instead. The problem is that you need to hack all the meta-sprite and tile stuff of the game engine. I started doing this for all the frame of Megaman himself, but didn't finish editing all the meta tables. An experienced megaman hacker probably knows all these tables or has tools for editing them. I'm definitely willing to add more enhancements to the emulation code if someone were to use it. I'm just not interesting in making my *own* hack of the game and when it comes down to it - no one seems really interested in doing such a hack on the PCE (I've pretty much advertised on RHDN).

Other enhancements I did was add CDDA/redbook support. I could add ADPCM sound FX as well if needed.

Here's a pic of the sprite enhancement in action:
 IMG
It might not be apparent, but the sprites frames are now all 32x32 cells instead of 8x8 cells. Colors are upgrade too, but only one frame shows it (16 color sprites instead of 3 color NES sprites).

Shrapnoid

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/23/2012, 07:44 PM
Quote from: Shrapnoid on 02/23/2012, 07:25 PMBonknuts, do you know Vagla, Speh3 or any of those guys? Vagla has done some Mega Man hacks and he, Seph3 and another guy were working on Mega Man Vengeance (The NES homebrew where you play as Bass/Forte).

Shrapnoid, no - I don't know those guys. I don't know any Megaman/Rockman hackers. I did upgrade the PCE version for easy sprite enhancement - as if you're still working with the NES system (no PCE experience really needed at all). I'd love to get a community project going for this. If you know any megaman hackers, definitely let them know about this and that I'm interested in helping out in a PCE version hack.

Also yes, the huge majority of the rom is just the NES rom itself. Graphics and all. I didn't replace the any of the game code (music, video, etc). I just emulated it. But I also added emulation enhancement to unused bits of the NES regs. So you could in theory (and I've done in practice) include new graphic assets into the rom and use those instead. The problem is that you need to hack all the meta-sprite and tile stuff of the game engine. I started doing this for all the frame of Megaman himself, but didn't finish editing all the meta tables. An experienced megaman hacker probably knows all these tables or has tools for editing them. I'm definitely willing to add more enhancements to the emulation code if someone were to use it. I'm just not interesting in making my *own* hack of the game and when it comes down to it - no one seems really interested in doing such a hack on the PCE (I've pretty much advertised on RHDN).

Other enhancements I did was add CDDA/redbook support. I could add ADPCM sound FX as well if needed.

Here's a pic of the sprite enhancement in action:
 IMG
It might not be apparent, but the sprites frames are now all 32x32 cells instead of 8x8 cells. Colors are upgrade too, but only one frame shows it (16 color sprites instead of 3 color NES sprites).
Yes, I see what you mean. Very nice! I'll see what I can do with getting in touch with the guys I told you about and talk to some of the other gifted Megaman/Rockman hackers as well.
I honestly don't see any reason why any of them wouldn't be excited about this project.
If all goes well, this should be an incredible game!
I'll let you know what I find out.

If anyone here is nuts about MegaMan then, PLEASE help Bonknuts with his requests.

TurboXray

Oh crap, I found out more:
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k150484293
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k150680165

No, these are not my auctions.

Pics in case the auctions/links are down:
IMG
IMG
IMG

and

IMG
IMG

The curious side of me wonders what build he/she's using... >_>

Also, for any future talk for the development of Megaman (manual, insert, intro, boot menu, etc) should be in a new thread specifically for Megaman.

Arkhan Asylum

Welcome to the wonderful world of jackfucks gouging things you work on.

futureman2000

That sucks. I'll bet Capcom wouldn't like this sale one bit.

Arkhan Asylum

I honestly didn't think Japan had the retard-equivalent of RoyVegas, and the people who buy things he sells for too much.

TurboXray

Yeah, well... the Japanese buyers will be a bit confused when the boot the thing and the title reads Megaman instead of Rockman (well, I'm assuming) - contrary to what the labels indicate.

Just found this too: wayback://sapphire.anime4ever.de/
IMG

Frank_fjs

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/24/2012, 09:25 AMJust found this too: wayback://sapphire.anime4ever.de/
IMG
That's old news re the Sapphire prints.

Never knew about this Mega Man project, will have to check it out.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 02/24/2012, 09:31 AMThat's old news re the Sapphire prints.
Look closer.  He's selling Rockman discs.

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/24/2012, 09:24 AMI honestly didn't think Japan had the retard-equivalent of RoyVegas, and the people who buy things he sells for too much.
This is faaaaar worse.  At least Roy was price gouging on legit stuff he actually owned.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Frank_fjs

Sorry, where are the Rockman discs? All I see is Fantasy Zone & Sapphire.

TurboXray

Clear your cache. It's at the very top of the page.