RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Progress on Project MONOLITH... some technical mumbo jumbo inside

Started by OldRover, 12/25/2011, 11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

By the way... if the Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Ys fonts were readable on a real TV... any one of these will be as well.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

incrediblehark

Arkhan Asylum

The latest two look dumb.  Too "lol coloring book!" for me.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jlued686

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/30/2011, 11:29 AMBy the way... if the Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Ys fonts were readable on a real TV... any one of these will be as well.
But didn't CF and Ys use black backgrounds?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 12/30/2011, 01:32 PM
Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/30/2011, 11:29 AMBy the way... if the Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Ys fonts were readable on a real TV... any one of these will be as well.
But didn't CF and Ys use black backgrounds?
yes. and that is where the difference lies.

It's been proven that blue backgrounds w/ white text or black text on yellow backgrounds are the easiest to read.

It's obvious that white + blue is a better choice to stare at though.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

At first I didn't like the newest two fonts added (D) & (E). But, actually, they aren't that bad... and (D) has more flair than (E), if I had to choose between the two. I think I prefer (D) over (C), even.

(B) is best.

IMG

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

I still say C. C is the easiest to read without looking ugly. Since you have decided to use a patterned text box, I'd say C is your best bet. If you opt, instead, for a solid or gradient text box you would still need to fix some of the weird spacing issues with A or B.

OldRover

C is going to be the easiest to read in general; it's nothing more than the standard DOS font. It was designed to be functional rather than stylish.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/30/2011, 04:02 PMC is going to be the easiest to read in general; it's nothing more than the standard DOS font. It was designed to be functional rather than stylish.
Told you people would like it if you used fixedsys

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 12/30/2011, 03:03 AMThe easiest (and best) way to compare the fonts was to stack 'em together:

IMG

(A) is nice in isolation, but clearly not as fluid and graceful as (B). It may be possible to salvage (A) by adjusting the overall tracking (spacing) between all the letters (but that would require a lot of work, and I don't know if there is any extra room in the individual tiles.) Kerning between certain letter combos is also an issue, but tracking would probably solve most of (A)'s shortcoming.

(B) is truly elegant and charming. It doesn't seem to offer as much contrast with the background as (A) or (B). Odd, since (A) and (B) are not much different. (B) is the sans serif version of (A), with pussy-footed dots over the "i".

(C) is [bold] and easy to read even when you are sleepy and about to enter the land of Nod. I think it is easy to read, but it does seem a bit heavy-handed compared to (B), no? (B) sharply contrasts with the background, which definitely improves its readability.
I really like C, but A and B don't feel right. The spacing between words needs to narrow just a bit.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

incrediblehark

Quote from: OldRover on 12/30/2011, 04:02 PMC is going to be the easiest to read in general; it's nothing more than the standard DOS font. It was designed to be functional rather than stylish.
thought it looked familiar :P

spenoza

Truth is, any reduced-pixel/bold, properly mono-spaced font will ultimately be fine.

OldRover

I'm not 100% sure I can even use font C, as it's a proprietary font and is still under copyright. I will have to find out for sure.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/30/2011, 08:23 PMI'm not 100% sure I can even use font C, as it's a proprietary font and is still under copyright. I will have to find out for sure.
now you are just making excuses because you hate Fixedsys.  :)

blueraven

_Paul

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 12/31/2011, 01:48 AMnow you are just making excuses because you hate Fixedsys.  :)
One might think. :P But alas, no... I need to be 100% certain I can use it. I'm going to add a font selector anyway, a la Ys I & II. I seem to remember a loophole in the copyright law regarding fonts... it seems to be that it's illegal to use a protected font file in a commercial product without proper legal authorization, but not illegal to use the font face itself. Gonna call up my old attorney when he gets back from vacation and get the details.

esteban

It is so sad that (B) isn't winning everyone over, and that (D) and (E) aren't getting any love at all.

If the font selector is implemented, and if Fixedsys is available to use, please put it at the END of the list.

RegalSin

Seriously

font C is the same font used in every translated Square RPG

A and B look simular. What about the original Lufia font??
IMGIMG

OldRover

The first one I used was A. I then personally modified A to make B. C was Arkhan's idea. D is one I had in my original fonts collection, and E is one I found while looking for more fonts.

spenoza

I think A looks fine from a lettering standpoint, but it needs some of the spacing fixed, and I think if you go with that you'll want to tone down the text-box pattern and go with something a little more discreet and a little less busy.

OldRover

You can change the text box background as well; the purple one is just the default. There are several patterned backgrounds, a couple of gradient ones, and of course solid colors too. You can also manually adjust the colors of them all, including the textured ones.

spenoza

Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/31/2011, 12:28 PMYou can change the text box background as well; the purple one is just the default. There are several patterned backgrounds, a couple of gradient ones, and of course solid colors too. You can also manually adjust the colors of them all, including the textured ones.
I have no objections to people being able to shoot themselves in the ass as long as the defaults are reasonable together and there are ways for people not to shoot themselves in the ass. I would suggest a solid color or gradient as the default instead of the purple pattern. Keep it simple.

Arkhan Asylum

OldRover

OldRover

Arkhan Asylum

_Paul

OldRover

OK then I'm going to include both the modified B as well as C as the available fonts. Them seems to be teh choices 'round these parts. :)

Bernie

Im in love.  Two new games coming soon.  MSR and now this.

esteban

Call me crazy, the overall spacing (tracking) appears to be the same in each picture.

The "C" + "H" (kerning) are bunched-up and crowded in the modified version (43).

I prefer the "C"+ "H" in the FIRST (unmodified) screenshot (42).

IMG

UPDATE: Oh, I see why--in 43, the "h" is wider, the "t" adds a pixel "tail" to the bottom serif. Anyway, I still like the modified version, but kerning issues have arisen. This is why I would go CRZY and never be able to design fonts. :)

It's all good. I like these fonts. :)

OldRover

My goal for 2012 is to release no less than 3 games for the PCE... MSR will come first, followed by this, and then followed by either Jungle Bros, Xymati, or the secret project Fragmare and I are on right now. :P

Anyway... I'm working on the forest scene today. It's a minor nightmare. But hey... no text in it. :)

Quote from: esteban on 01/01/2012, 08:40 AMUPDATE: Oh, I see why--in 43, the "h" is wider, the "t" adds a pixel "tail" to the bottom serif. Anyway, I still like the modified version, but kerning issues have arisen. This is why I would go CRZY and never be able to design fonts. :)

When it comes to fonts like this, it's virtually impossible to find the kerning sweet spot. One way I might be able to pull it off is to use a separation of 2 pixels... but then text might end up looking detached in some places. Certain characters will work with certain other characters and look bad next to certain other characters.

spenoza

Your modifications have helped, especially for the "l" in the example. Yeah, the C and H are a little closer, but not enough to cause problems, I think. You win!

OldRover

At last... the elusive forest scene.

/monolith-0045.png

The first half of it anyway. This screenshot really doesn't do it justice... a video is in order to show off its Genesis-like parallax. :)

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 01/01/2012, 09:35 AM
Quote from: esteban on 01/01/2012, 08:40 AMUPDATE: Oh, I see why--in 43, the "h" is wider, the "t" adds a pixel "tail" to the bottom serif. Anyway, I still like the modified version, but kerning issues have arisen. This is why I would go CRZY and never be able to design fonts. :)

When it comes to fonts like this, it's virtually impossible to find the kerning sweet spot. One way I might be able to pull it off is to use a separation of 2 pixels... but then text might end up looking detached in some places. Certain characters will work with certain other characters and look bad next to certain other characters.
Absolutely, I hear you. :)  Like I said, I would go crazy trying to tweak an existing font. I like what you did, but now you can move forward onto bigger, better things.

Quote from: OldRover on 01/02/2012, 01:18 AMAt last... the elusive forest scene.

/monolith-0045.png

The first half of it anyway. This screenshot really doesn't do it justice... a video is in order to show off its Genesis-like parallax. :)
Sweetness!

OldRover

_Paul

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/02/2012, 04:03 AMForest video. :)
The very bottom layer of plants were intended to be parallax as well, don't forget!

OldRover

esteban

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

SuperPlay

CrackTiger

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/02/2012, 04:03 AMForest video. :)
Looks like Legend of Xanadu. :D

The parallax would look even more cool if the strip of gray shading scrolled at its own pace.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

I'm going to try to do that...it will require some additional scene tweaking though.

spenoza

I gotta say, I find the jump sound to be too prominent and a little too cartoony. Maybe if it had a volume reduction or something...

SamIAm

I was mighty impressed with that last video. Very good work.

OldRover

Tatsujin was irritated by the original jump sound, so I detuned the samples by 32 points. :)

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 01/02/2012, 11:20 PMI gotta say, I find the jump sound to be too prominent and a little too cartoony. Maybe if it had a volume reduction or something...
Yeah, everytime I play a demo, I'm less & less enthused by the jumping sound.

I don't recall if this has been discussed, & maybe it's a no brainer.  What are people's feelings on when an enemy or the player gets hit?  I personally don't like it the way it is, seems like they should flash or something so you can still see them, though, maybe the way it is, is just temporary, I don't recall  :-k
IMG

OldRover

They DO flash... you obviously haven't been playing the prototypes. :P

ParanoiaDragon

Hmm, in ME they just disapear.  Maybe the word I'm searching for is flicker? :-s
IMG