Best console controller ever made

Started by HercTNT, 01/10/2012, 12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HercTNT

How about your opinion on the best controller ever made for a console. my top 5 are:

1. Duo-rx controller: Ok i know some of you hate the d-pad, but man is it comfortable to hold
2. gamecube controller:  really really easy to use, very comfortable
3. snes controller: I love it, i thought it was revolutionary
4. Xbox 360 controller:  its surprisingly well thought out and well made
5. Nintendo 64 controller: Alittle awkward at first, but works excellent

My wifes pick is the Xbox 360 controller, she feels its the best ever made.

SignOfZeta

1: original Saturn pad (non-US ver, obviously)
2: Super Famicom "ASCI Pad". This thing is the SHIIIIIZ. Basically identical the OEM pad but with easier to hit shoulder buttons (and turbo)
IMG
3: NiGHTS/3D/Analog Saturn pad (white)
4: AES stick (not the best stick ever made, but certainly the best pack-in stick ever made)
5: Gamecube

Runners up:

To be honest, the XBox "Controller S" and 360 pads are pretty good as long as you NEVER have to use the digital pad on them.

The Dual Shock series is pretty good as well except for the actual overall shape (the components are nice).

The PC Engine series is great.

Worst: 3DO, Dreamcast, and basically every single fucking thing Atari ever released. God they suck.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Ave 6, Dreamcast Controller, PS1 pre-dualshock
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

hoobs88

1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

geise

I have to go with:

Original JP Saturn pad
Sega Nomad Controlls (oops not a console)
Sega Dreamcast
SNES/SFC

GohanX

The best overall controller for general gaming imo is the PS Dual Shock. It's not great at anything, but it's pretty good for almost anything.

The best digital pad is the Saturn controller, of course.

The best analog stick goes to the Xbox 360 wireless controller. It is comfortable, the analog sticks, triggers, and buttons are perfect. It is ideal for FPS, 3d action and racing games. The d pad blows hard, though.

CrackTiger

Turbo/Duo Pad
NES dogbone
Saturn pad
Genesis 6 button pad
Xbox 360 transformable controller -everything's a little better and the d-pad actually works.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

I love my wireless PCE pads and all the wired pads nearly as much.  Other pads might be equally comfortable and have more buttons, but they don't work on the PCE and are therefor ineligible for 'best'.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Senshi

For me its a three way tie between the PS3, 2 button TurboDuo controller and Genesis 6 Button
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

futureman2000

1.Saturn (japan version)
2.Genesis (original 3-button)
3.Dreamcast
4.pce
5.N64

Worst: All Playstation controllers tied due to d-pad

munchiaz

Quote from: futureman2000 on 01/10/2012, 04:34 PM1.Saturn (japan version)
2.Genesis (original 3-button)
3.Dreamcast
4.pce
5.N64

Worst: All Playstation controllers tied due to d-pad
have u ever played a fighter on a dreamcast D pad? its awful dude, the corners are so sharp, it starts to hurt.

Anyway, my top 5 would have to be

1. SNES
2.N64
3. gamecube
4. ps2
5. pce

Tatsujin

1. Hori Fighting Commander PC
2. PCE standard (w/ rapid)
3. SFC
4. Saturn (jpn only)
5. MD 6-button
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

RegalSin

All controllers are pretty nice, when you look at them, you can fiddle with them enough to play the game without thinking about the buttons. It is like driving a car but you know if you crash you wont die. Like yesterday the brake was on the car, and I pushed the gas. If the brake was not on, I would have ran over somebody trying to get out of their space.
IMGIMG

Lilgrafx

I vote dreamcast I just feels so nice

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PunkCryborg

my fave pce pad is the Avenue 3 pad
other tops are the Saturn model 2 pad and 6 button sega genesis pad

worst is snes and xbox 1

grahf

I guess it doesn't count because it's not a console controller, but the Sega Nomad has the best D-pad in the universe.

Tatsujin

[/quote]
Quote from: grahf on 01/11/2012, 05:36 AMI guess it doesn't count because it's not a console controller, but the Sega Nomad has the best D-pad in the universe.
Rolf? I always felt that it sux big dix in hell :)

@ela, whats wrong with the sfc pad? Other than its shoulder buttons are too fragile.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

grahf

Lies! It's amazing.

Best PCE pad overall is probably the Avenue 3.

Tatsujin

Why is it superior to the 6-button&? :)

grahf

The Avenue Pad 6 is awesome too, but the Avenue 3 wins because of the button placement. If a game uses Run or Select, like Dracula X item crash, Avenue 3 rules over all!  If you play those games on an Avenue 6, I think the Run and Select buttons are too far to quickly reach with your right thumb. Therefore, the Avenue 3 (or standard pad) is better. Of course for 6 buttons games, the Avenue 6 rocks.

My scientific grading system:

Games that only use I and II buttons:
 Avenue 6 = Avenue 3  > Standard pad
Games that also use Run or Select buttons:
 Avenue 3 > Standard pad > Avenue 6

Tatsujin

Arkhan Asylum

I really like the master system controller too.  The D-Pad is really weird, but surprisingly nice.  I use it on Atari 2600
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

futureman2000

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2012, 10:08 AMI really like the master system controller too.  The D-Pad is really weird, but surprisingly nice.  I use it on Atari 2600
My experience with the Master System controller was a bit tainted. I have a system with Hang-On, where you shift up or down using the D-pad. Since the controller has loose diagonals, I found that I often shifted unintentionally. I'm sure using different controller would have helped, but I wasn't buying a lot of accessories in 1988. Actually, I did buy the backwards joystick... which was some kind of cruel joke.

NecroPhile

Please post a bigger pic, Paul.  I can't tell what that one is.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ogre

My favorite controllers are the Hori Fighting Commander PC, Saturn Japanese version, and Genesis 6 button.The controllers that are absolute garbage are the Dreamcast, GameCube,and N64 for it's thumbstick issue. I have had my Dreamcast since launch and play it the least due to it's controller clunkiness.

Arkhan Asylum

man, I love the dreamcast controller lol.

maybe it's because I have lanky hands and the rest of you have sausage fingers.

geise

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/11/2012, 06:37 AM
Quote from: grahf on 01/11/2012, 05:36 AMI guess it doesn't count because it's not a console controller, but the Sega Nomad has the best D-pad in the universe.

@ela, whats wrong with the sfc pad? Other than its shoulder buttons are too fragile.[/quote]
The Nomad really has the most comfortable and easy to use d-pad.  You must've had a busted console.  I don't know anyone that thinks the Saturn d-pad is great and the Nomad d-pad is big dix in hell.  Haha...well except you tats.

Tatsujin

rolf, some quote fail there? :)

My nomad is like pristine. And who tellsvjpn saturn pad is le rubbish? fools..haha

geise

all i did was hit the quote button.  should've worked fine.  oh well.  why do you think it sucks tats?  is it to lose for you?  to small?  Was it on an actual Nomad or the Sega Jet?

PunkCryborg

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/11/2012, 06:37 AM
It's not uncomfortable or anything, it's just cheap and brittle and they all make this annoying plastic cracking and squeeking sounds. The buttons are too mushy and don't have a good feel. I'm not crazy about the diamond button layout either and the sholder buttons  are a pain in the butt

@ela, whats wrong with the sfc pad? Other than its shoulder buttons are too fragile.[/quote]

geise

You must be talking about the SFC/SNES controller.

JoshTurboTrollX

SNES
Saturn 2nd generation
Ave Pad 6
NES/ Turbo 2 button pads
Dreamcast - Not sure why all the hate.  I just got used to it and had no issues with MOtW, KOF, or Capcom fighters

New mention:  NGPC - not really a controller (again) but the analog/d-pad stick was AWESOME for pulling off combos on those mini fighters!
Anyone else dig the clicky stick thingy?
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

blueraven

PC Engine Core II pad
Avenue Pad 6;*
*Don't Hate. I love the awkward design much more than the Hori pad or any of the other 16-bit controllers. Oddly it makes sense*
NES Dogbone
XBOX360 controller - Don't ask me why. It's just comfortable.
Sega Saturn

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

grahf

Quote from: geise on 01/11/2012, 12:09 PMall i did was hit the quote button.  should've worked fine.  oh well.  why do you think it sucks tats?  is it to lose for you?  to small?  Was it on an actual Nomad or the Sega Jet?
I was playing a Nomad for the first time about 6 years ago, and not really thinking about it. After about an hour it hit me... "Damn, this is one fuckin' amazing D-pad!". I'm pretty sure that was the exact though to go through my head.

SFC Controller is all around excellent. I prefer a little looser d-pad, but once you use them for a while they just feel right.

DragonmasterDan

There's different kinds of controllers. I also really like the Saturn model 2 controller, as far as 3D controllers go the GameCube and Xbox 360 both have great 3D controllers at the expense of the d-pad. There's lots of controllers I like and dislike, but a favorite for one games or type of game might not be for another.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

FYI, there is no "model 2" Saturn controller. There is just the standard Saturn controller, and that weird thing they only sold in the US and only for the first year. The "model" 2 wasn't something they invented later, it was what they had all along.

The weird one, honestly, wasn't that bad, and it was nice looking. The mysterious thing is that they decided to invent it at all when they already had the best fucking thing ever. I guess its just another example of SOA being too powerful and too active for its own good.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/12/2012, 12:47 PMFYI, there is no "model 2" Saturn controller. There is just the standard Saturn controller, and that weird thing they only sold in the US and only for the first year. The "model" 2 wasn't something they invented later, it was what they had all along.

The weird one, honestly, wasn't that bad, and it was nice looking. The mysterious thing is that they decided to invent it at all when they already had the best fucking thing ever. I guess its just another example of SOA being too powerful and too active for its own good.
It's model 2 to the US since we got that original trashy controller in 1995, and then got the same controller Japan got later on.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

If there is a Model 2 it would be the US pad since the system launched in Japan 7 months earlier.

Or maybe the model 2 would be the NiGHTS pad.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 01/11/2012, 01:57 PMDreamcast - Not sure why all the hate.  I just got used to it and had no issues with MOtW, KOF, or Capcom fighters
I don't see how any one can play a 2d fighter with the a dc controller,it's d-pad can make your thumb sore.Now a sega saturn controller with a total control 3 adapter makes playing fighters on a dc a breeze.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/12/2012, 12:47 PMFYI, there is no "model 2" Saturn controller. There is just the standard Saturn controller, and that weird thing they only sold in the US and only for the first year. The "model" 2 wasn't something they invented later, it was what they had all along.

Yeah I was and always will be a huge SEGA fan but when I tried that Saturn controller at a kiosk with the system first came out I remember being horrified. I mean, what a shit controller!

For me it would probably be something like this:

1. Megadrive/Genesis 6 Button - The best d-pad, high quality buttons with great response, comfortable, sturdy.
2. PCE Turbo Pad. It's blocky but comfy, the d-pad is the type I like (circular, not a cross design), buttons are well placed and the turbo switches are great. Never lets me down. Does give me a cramp after long playing sessions though but I blame myself.
3. PS2 Dual Shock - Comfortable and well-built, great button placement, and the analog sticks work pretty well, as with the analog buttons for the games that used them. The d-pad isn't the best but it never bothered me. Can be used to control just about any kind of game yet is small and solid.
4. Saturn pad - Not as good as the Megadrive contoller in my opinion, but still a great controller.
5. AV Famicom "bone" style controllers. Much more comfortable than the standard Famicom or NES controllers. Cord is way too short and buttons tend to be a little unresponsive at times though.

termis

I'll only include the pack-in controllers

- Saturn (non-fattie) - bar-none best digital controller EVAH. 
- SNES - Another great, great pad.
- NES - The classic digital pad.  PCE pad is enough to this as well.
- Dual Shock - Comfortable, and placement of buttons are quite nice.  If I had to nickpick, the d-pad is just average, and I was never a huge fan of the thumb analog stick.  (It's too short to be a truly precise in analog-critical games like driving games/flight sims).

This might be a post for the other thread, the DC pad is my most hated (modern) pad.  My biggest beef is that you're positioned to hold the pad with your wrists turned in (as opposed to a nice, relaxed position), and it's just damn uncomfortable.  The digital pad is sub par, and the thumb stick is rather useless as well.  I love my Dreamcast and all, but Sega going from the saturn pad to the DC pad was a frickin' travesty.

TheClash603

Agree with everyone on here, the Saturn controller is definitely the best ever.

I honestly like how the xbox 360 controller feels in my hands too when dual-analog control is needed, definitely the best controller of this type.

Also, the Neo Geo AES controller is classic.  Although the build quality isn't the best, it is very comfortable, and I love the reaction my friends have when I pull out those behemoths and they've never seen them before.  The Neo CD pad is actually pretty solid too, as long as you get the one with the better directional pad.

SignOfZeta

My favorite thing about the AES stick is just how the buttons all line up nicely, one for each finger, in a PERFECT arc. When I made by own AES stick I made damned sure to copy that arc exactly.

I also made sure to move the Start and Select buttons out of the way. Accidental pauses on AES are annoyingly common. :)
IMG

blueraven

It's really been so long that I've had a Saturn that I don't remember how the controller was. I remember being really happy when I found an official Sega one because the 3rd party pad I had wasn't cutting it for fighting games.

roflmao

I have a 3rd party 6-button Genesis controller that made Sword of Vermillion unplayable (literally!).  When I got the game, I thought there was a problem with the game.  But then I tried playing it with a stock controller and, voila, all good!

bartre

Honestly, my favorite controllers are:
PS1/2/3
Genesis

and counting 3rd party controllers, these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-N64-HORI-PAD-MINI-CONTROLLER-YELLOW-/160700643114?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item256a81372a

though they're not worth the price.

koolade

I would have to go with:

1.NES Dogbone
2.TurboGrafx pad
3.PS2 Dual shock
4.N64
5.Xbox