@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Retrode

Started by guyjin, 01/21/2012, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyjin

http://www.retrode.com/

it's a combination ROM dumper/controller connector for PCs. I'm tempted, even though it only takes SNES and Genny carts and controllers.

according to the instructions, you can't use a multitap or light guns with it. the latter is understandable, but what's up with no multitap?

I wonder if a Power Base Converter would let you dump SMS games.

SignOfZeta

Can someone explain the point of this product? The controller interface is nice, of course, but every single game ever has already been dumped.

BTW, no, the Power Base isn't going to work with this.
IMG

guyjin

For the cartridge part alone, I can see 2 reasons:
a) you want to be as legit as possible, and not only use dumps of games you own, but use the actual dumps of the cartridges you actually possess.
2) You can copy the save file, edit it (either by playing it on the emulator, or using more nefarious means) and save it back to the actual cartridge.

SignOfZeta

I can seriously see the advantage of 2), but a) makes no sense. Assuming there were no errors during dumping, the two ROMs would be absolutely identical, bit for bit, and neither would be any more or less legit/legal/moral.

If it came down to half that price or so I'd get it just to have the MD controller interface. I already have a SNES one. A retro controller adaptor is a necessity for retro gaming in emulators, IMO.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guyjin on 01/21/2012, 03:57 PMhttp://www.retrode.com/

it's a combination ROM dumper/controller connector for PCs. I'm tempted, even though it only takes SNES and Genny carts and controllers.

according to the instructions, you can't use a multitap or light guns with it. the latter is understandable, but what's up with no multitap?

I wonder if a Power Base Converter would let you dump SMS games.
Personally, I think it's great* that products like this are released. I actually saw a video demo of Retrode not too long ago (i'll have to post the link here), but I never bothered to check out the website.

So, I noticed this page on building adapters forAtari 2600, TurboGrafx-16, N64, Gameboy, etc.

* Why is it great? I actually like using the original media! Yes, I'm one of those people who enjoy reading paper books (I can and often read digital versions, but they can NEVER replace paper books). I listen to vinyl records, too, because it is fun to see old technology still in operation. I haven't hooked up my cassette deck yet, but I will. These mechanical things are neat. Retrode, for me, at least allows the interface to be physical (cartridge, HuCard, controller), even if the console's hardware is emulated. It's a compromise, sure, but it appeals to me. I suppose I have a fetish for physical things.

I know many folks are too lazy or too cheap to value the historical and tactile values of physical media, so Retrode certainly won't appeal to everyone. I don't think a niche product like this was ever intended to appeal to folks who are 100% emulation and don't have real consoles and physical media libraries.

I wanted to counter-balance Zeta's less-than-enthusiastic response :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

...but you aren't using the original media. You're using a ROM on your HD that is physically, chemically, and digitally identical to the one from a warez site. It doesn't actually run the cart in real time.

I love physical media as well. I buy at least half of my music on vinyl, I've never managed to read an electronic book all the way to the end, etc etc. But this is why I have a SNES. I have a Genesis. I have a Neo Geo, a PCE, etc. This isn't the same.

I do have some cassettes, and a decent deck, but I very rarely listen to them. Cassettes just suck. Their only advantage was convenience and now other things are more convenient.
IMG

HercTNT

I agree that its a pretty cool product as well, but i truthfully would probably never use it. It seems that the best part of it is to use the original controllers without buying a usb adapter. Then again a usb adapter would most likely be cheaper.  Non the less its probably marketed towards people just getting into retrogaming. For the rest of us that are familiar with emulators, clones, and classic machines, it would serve no purpose.

KiddoCabbusses

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/21/2012, 07:44 PMCan someone explain the point of this product? The controller interface is nice, of course, but every single game ever has already been dumped.
LIES!

And that is why I'm hoping to get a Retrode someday.

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 01/22/2012, 08:43 AMRetrode, for me, at least allows the interface to be physical (cartridge, HuCard, controller), even if the console's hardware is emulated. It's a compromise, sure, but it appeals to me.
But why compromise?  It's not like purchasing a Genesis or SNES would require a second mortgage.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

This device is over priced terrorism.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: KiddoCabbusses on 01/23/2012, 01:46 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/21/2012, 07:44 PMCan someone explain the point of this product? The controller interface is nice, of course, but every single game ever has already been dumped.
LIES!

And that is why I'm hoping to get a Retrode someday.
If its possible to dump Sateleview games with this thing then someone will have already done it by the time "some day" arrives, wouldn't you think? This is an honest question.

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2012, 03:44 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/22/2012, 08:43 AMRetrode, for me, at least allows the interface to be physical (cartridge, HuCard, controller), even if the console's hardware is emulated. It's a compromise, sure, but it appeals to me.
But why compromise?  It's not like purchasing a Genesis or SNES would require a second mortgage.
I recently bought an almost perfect SNES with SMW for $35, so probably you could have both.
IMG

KiddoCabbusses

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/23/2012, 04:22 PMIf its possible to dump Sateleview games with this thing then someone will have already done it by the time "some day" arrives, wouldn't you think? This is an honest question.
I actually know someone who -has- dumped some Satellaview ROMs with a Retrode along with his own 8M-Pack-specific tools. However, you could probably see that the amount of data that needs to be dumped is -very large- for an undumped list, probably too much so for one man's efforts.

Not to mention, a lot of the -new- dumps lately basically came out of nowhere in terms of a complete lack of prior documentation to their existence.
And that's just the most recent example.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2012, 03:44 PM
But why compromise?  It's not like purchasing a Genesis or SNES would require a second mortgage.
I hear you. You're right.

Well, as you may know, i own nearly all the consoles and media. But there are times when I don't want to unplug and move consoles from one room to another (or to a friend's house). Plus, I rotate my consoles (I don't have room to keep everything out at all times), so Retrode would serve as a convenient compromise.

I don't know...I like the physical interface, but maybe Zeta's correct—maybe I'm just fooling myself...

SignOfZeta

Don't get me wrong. The first time I saw this thing (actually, the earlier version that only had dumping capability) I instantly knew that I HAD TO HAVE IT!!!! Then I realized that in the real world it's as useless as tits on a chicken. I tend to put a lot of thought into my purchases, you see.
IMG

HercTNT

I disagree, i would play with tits on a chicken  :dance:

KiddoCabbusses

Hey, didn't your mother ever tell you not to play with your food?
Perhaps you shouldn't be getting breasts from the KFC now, sir!

HercTNT

Tits arn't food? I gotta admit I was starting to wonder why they were offering them original or crispy.  Explains why my wife keeps getting pissed at me for throwing bread crumbs on her boobs after i oil them up..........Damn you KFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/23/2012, 09:27 PMDon't get me wrong. The first time I saw this thing (actually, the earlier version that only had dumping capability) I instantly knew that I HAD TO HAVE IT!!!! Then I realized that in the real world it's as useless as tits on a chicken. I tend to put a lot of thought into my purchases, you see.
Hajjajahaa. Yup. ;)

Arkhan Asylum

There are already tits on chickens. 

I eat them all the time.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 01/24/2012, 12:35 PMThere are already tits on chickens. 

I eat them all the time.
If that doesn't prove how useless they are, nothing does.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

what part of the chicken do you eat?

most people eat the breasts (tits).

KiddoCabbusses

Perhaps SignOfZeta doesn't eat?

SignOfZeta

A "tit" is indicitive of a mamery glad, which only mammals and monotremes posess. Baby chickens would know WTF to do with a tit/teat/nipple/whatever since they don't have lips.

I don't eat chicken anyway, btw, but when I did it was just legs.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/24/2012, 05:06 PMA "tit" is indicitive of a mamery glad, which only mammals and monotremes posess. Baby chickens would know WTF to do with a tit/teat/nipple/whatever since they don't have lips.

I don't eat chicken anyway, btw, but when I did it was just legs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_%28bird%29

If you eat one of these, you're eating tit breasts.