Startling odyssey 2 mini review

Started by HercTNT, 02/08/2012, 05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HercTNT

I finally finished SO2, and wanted to share my thoughts:

Startling Odyssey 2 is a very well crafted game. Everything from the music, the sound effects, the dialog, to the graphics are all very well done. The game does not require a great deal of

leveling allowing you to travel seamlessly between areas.  Your characters have a real sense of worth. They grow throughout the course of the game in purpose and in

relationship to each other.  Dialog ranges from witty banter between characters in light hearted moments, to dire when its all on the line.  Startling Odyssey 2 does a very good job of

making you care about you're characters and the world around them as it slowly falls apart.

Game mechanics are standard fair. Menu systems are well laid out and easy to access. You're characters have a considerably wide range of magic, items, and attacks to dispatch your

enemies or protect your comrades.  Battle tends to be simple as enemy Ai is not usually all that tough. However, boss battles and certain areas of the game can be quite challenging.  Spells

are powerful and have the look and feel of dealing out serious damage. Weapons and armor are plentiful and allow for a surprisingly deep amount of customization. Some raise spell points,

others increase luck, while all protect your party from the very diverse amount of monsters you will face.

Graphics range from ordinary in some sparse areas to extraordinary in the more complex maps.  All are very colorful, especially the animated cut scenes that do not disappoint.  You're on

screen characters are large and detailed, as are the numerous npc's you will meet in your travels.

The musical score is mostly bright and upbeat. Most of the tunes can hold there own with any other rpg. The one complaint I have with Startling Odyssey 2 is the music while good, is not

always matched to the right mood. The beginning of the game starts out dark as your sister is kidnapped and your castle destroyed. Despite the tragedy, your travel music sounds

extremely patriotic as if your about to go watch fireworks on the 4th.  

Startling Odyssey 2 is an excellent game and I highly recommend anyone in these forums play it.  Its easily one of the better rpg's for the PC-engine platform.

Bardoly

Thanks for the review.

So, for a not-able-to-read-Japanese person, how easy is this game to get into?

SignOfZeta

There is a fan translation patch for it that will make everything English except the spoken parts.

Even without the translation though, it's not that hard. If you know Kana it helps tremendously since there is tons of Kana in this game.
IMG

Sadler

Bernie

Well looks like if it is only hosted on Megaupload, then its gone.  MU got zapped last year.   If someone needs the patch I have it though.  Just PM me.

Bardoly

Ah... I see. I really enjoy RPGs, but I'm really not into emulation and such, so I have been wanting to get various and sundry PC Engine games, but even though I can read some Chinese characters (many of which are in the written Japanese language), I've never learned any Kana, so I was hoping that this game might be one of the easier PC Engine games to play with basically no knowledge of Japanese other than "Konichiwa!" and "Mizu na demeska?"

Thanks for the information though.  I still have so much to learn about the PC Engine stuff.

meka

I've also played through it recently and I agree it's an excellent game, I couldn't find the patch but I found the game pre-patched.

HercTNT

Overall the game is not difficult. There are however a few points in the game that can throw you. Unless you know some japanese, the patch is kinda critical in a few spots. Don't let it deter you, its definately worth playing.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/29/2012, 10:58 PMAh... I see. I really enjoy RPGs, but I'm really not into emulation and such,
Well, you can download an ISO, burn a disc, and play it in your Duo or you can...not play it. Your choice.

I beat it 15 years ago when I knew even less Japanese than I do now, it wasn't hard. It would be easier in English though, obviously.
IMG