The end to a perfect week the purchase of a lifetime....

Started by nectarsis, 02/26/2012, 12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nectarsis

This week has been great.  Ryan Braun's suspension is overturned, the PS Vita was released, and I nabbed an item I never thought I could obtain.

Milwaukee Egyptian Theater Artifact

IMG

The details of today's experience are here:

http://shawbrothersfan.blogspot.com/2012/02/have-had-lifelong-love-of-old-buildings.html

additional pics are here:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x285/nectarsis/The%20Times%20Cinema%20Feb%2025th%202012/
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

SignOfZeta

That is really cool. I absolutely love early/mid 20th century theater stuff.

In Michigan there are several nice ones still going, but I think the Temple in Saginaw is probably the most well restored/correct/protected. They used to do just do classic and art house movies. I've seen some crazy shit there, everything from The Lost World (1925), which had live accompaniment via the huge pipe organ that is still installed there, to Mononoke Hime.

A while back though they did a full restore, found new owners, and went "legit". This means they have a lot of live concerts there (I saw George Carlin there a few months before he died) with high ticket prices, they host weddings, etc, which is fine, but they almost never play movies now so I don't go very often.

The State Theater in Bay city is "trash" in the sense that its been messed with and (I think) doesn't qualify for "historical monument" protection, but its still really cool. They built it with an Aztec/Mayan theme, sort of like your Egyptian thing. They actually still show movies too.

Another rad building in Michigan, not a theater, is the Masonic Temple in Detroit. I've been there twice, one for a jazz Battle of the Bands and once for Roller Derby, which is biweekly. Its an extremely impressive building and very big.

IMG
IMG

nectarsis

Thanks for checking it out :)

Just looked them up..the Temple does look very cool.  Check out the Fox in Detroit (http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/51).  Though mixed use (not sure how often it still shows movies), but it looks INCREDIBLE.

That State theater in Bay City does look unique.  If not historically protected, it looks to be taken care of well.

That Masonic Temple indeed looks impressive (as many of the HUGE ones do).  I may have to add that to a "must see" list.

I've been meaning to check out a number of the Michigan drive in theaters (one of my biggest loves), as you guys have a number of almost legendary drive ins.

SignOfZeta

We have a really fucking big drive in. The Ford Drive-In in Dearborn. Five screens, every day of the week. Even back in the day this would have been impressive.

I've actually never been there though...:( I'm lame. Mainly the problem is that they show terrible shit most of the time.
IMG

PunkCryborg

Wow that is an awesome piece of history to own and preserve. I too love 1920s theaters. My wife and I got married in our local one call The Tampa Theatre. It has a really awesome gothic/Mediterranean style.
 IMG
IMG

nectarsis

The Capri, the Cherry Bowl, and of course the Ford ( formerly Ford-Wyoming) are the three I've heard the most about.  IIRC the Fore=d up until a couple years ago had the 5 screens, and 4 MORE across the street.  It might also be the Ford that is open year round.

I hear you on showing terrible shit.  I try and pick and choose the "best" movies coming out...or at a minimum stuff the kids may like as to still support these dying theaters.  I really dig the ones around here that go old school at various points of the year.  Horror marathons at Halloween, dusk till dawn shows to close the season, other b-movie days/weekends.

TERRIBLE on the eyes, but a GREAT site on Michigan drive ins (tied with a site that covers retro to modern theaters, amusement parks, etc.

http://www.michigandriveins.com/fordwyoming144.asp

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/

nectarsis

Quote from: elabit on 02/26/2012, 04:07 PMWow that is an awesome piece of history to own and preserve. I too love 1920s theaters. My wife and I got married in our local one call The Tampa Theatre. It has a really awesome gothic/Mediterranean style.
 IMG
IMG
That's another STELLAR looking place ela 9even cooler to have your wedding there LOL).

P.S.  I nabbed a fair amount more than just that piece (see links) ;)

nectarsis

Quote from: futureman2000 on 02/26/2012, 10:03 PMI like the Detroit theater that is now a parking garage. Let me find a link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Theater_(Detroit,_Michigan)

http://img.weburbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/detroit-michigan-theater-parking-lot-1.jpg
That is to crazy...the place was HUGE.At least it still has SOME use.

also via Wiki:  "The Michigan Theater was built on the site of the small garage where Henry Ford built his first automobile (the garage was transported brick by brick to The Henry Ford Museum in nearby Dearborn)."

TheClash603

I love these old theaters, there are a few near me, Sheas and the Riviera, but they don't show movies too often.  The Riviera recently showed Rocky Horror, but most of the old movies and arthouse stuff is shown in the "grindhouse" 1970s theater here in Buffalo.

Anyway, Braun definitely got off even though he used.  It's like the murder weapon that can't be used as evidence because the cop labeled it wrong.  However, regardless of if he's a dirtbag, I'd cheer for him if he were on my team too.  I love double-standards in sports.

nectarsis

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/27/2012, 02:06 AMAnyway, Braun definitely got off even though he used.  It's like the murder weapon that can't be used as evidence because the cop labeled it wrong.  However, regardless of if he's a dirtbag, I'd cheer for him if he were on my team too.  I love double-standards in sports.
there's so much wrong with the Braun story that he "got off even though he used" is ignorant...at best ;)

TheClash603

Y
Quote from: nectarsis on 02/27/2012, 05:44 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/27/2012, 02:06 AMAnyway, Braun definitely got off even though he used.  It's like the murder weapon that can't be used as evidence because the cop labeled it wrong.  However, regardless of if he's a dirtbag, I'd cheer for him if he were on my team too.  I love double-standards in sports.
there's so much wrong with the Braun story that he "got off even though he used" is ignorant...at best ;)
Yeah, Bonds too :)

nectarsis

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/27/2012, 09:15 PMY
Not EVEN close....awful comparison...try again  :P

TheClash603

Quote from: nectarsis on 02/27/2012, 09:19 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/27/2012, 09:15 PMY
Not EVEN close....awful comparison...try again  :P
Yeah, McGwire too :)

nectarsis

TheClash603

Why is McGwire dirty beyond a shadow of a doubt?  I threw his name out because he never failed MLB's drug testing policy.  If anything, that would make him more innocent than Braun ever was.

Regardless, I think anyone who has ever been linked to steroids has taken them...   but in a outside looking in scenario, Braun is assuredly more guilty than McGwire or Sosa or anyone who was never "caught."

nectarsis

ROFLMAO seriously man...."Why is McGwire dirty beyond a shadow of a doubt?"  BECAUSE HE ADMITTED TO IT  #-o ](*,) :lol: :lol:  Also he retired before mandatory testing started  :P

Ok so someone links you to steroids you're now for sure taken them...THAT'S almost logical LOL.  See the problem is PROOF.  PROVE he took anything...oh wait you can't, and neither can the MLB ;)  Guilty in public opinion means squat...procedure/rules/laws/"fail safes" are there for a reason.

P.S.  If you actually rread those links they explain (quiet common sense wise) WHY they went with the defense they did (which would have also EASILY worked in a court of law).  Path of least resistance=/= ONLY path.

xcrement5x

If you guys are in the Midwest then you might get a kick out of the Coronado Theater in Rockford, IL. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronado_Theatre

I grew up in Rockford and that place is amazing to be in, I spent a lot of my childhood going to shows there with my grandparents and my cousins.  Here's a shot of the lobby (not my photo):
IMG
Inside the Coronado Theater, Rockford, Illinois by vxla, on Flickr
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)