@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

new member question... what is Turbob?

Started by tpivette, 03/14/2012, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

Ok, this may seem completely stupid (I'm sorry), but I've seen the word "Turbob" mentioned quite a few times in what seems reference to TG16 games or the system itself.

Please indulge a new member... what is Turbob, and what relationship does it have to the TG16?
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

SignOfZeta

IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I think it was originally someone mis-typing, they were typing Turbo, & added a "b" at the end.
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BlueBMW

Like others have said, it probably started as a mistype and then caught on as slang.

Turbob = Turbo related stuff

Its very general in its use...

"I picked up some Turbob today!"  - I bought some turbo grafx games today
"I going to go play Turbob" - I'm going to go play Turbo Grafx 16
"I'm a Turbobler!"  - I'm a turbo grafx player :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

motdelbourt

Little known fact, but Turbob was actually the kid on the Turbo Grafx 16 box.

VestCunt

Quote from: motdelbourt on 03/15/2012, 02:45 AMLittle known fact, but Turbob was actually the kid on the Turbo Grafx 16 box.
I thought that was Zack from Saved By the Bell
IMG
IMG
All those Eighties white kids look the same.
Topic Adjourned.

turbofan1

I don`t really see the comparason there ^^^."Turbob"is not as bad as the stupid "obey"crap everyone uses."I did some serious obey today"-I spent forty dollars on A copy of Keith Courage.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/15/2012, 03:58 AMI don`t really see the comparason there ^^^."Turbob"is not as bad as the stupid "obey"crap everyone uses."I did some serious obey today"-I spent forty dollars on A copy of Keith Courage.
Turbob OBEY [--X-----------------------------------] bitching about how everything sucks
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keith Courage

The guy on the box should have been known as a Turboob.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/15/2012, 03:58 AM."Turbob"is not as bad as the stupid "obey"crap everyone uses."I did some serious obey today"-I spent forty dollars on A copy of Keith Courage.
what's stupid about it? 

I mean spending 40$ on KC is stupid, I guess.  But noone here does that

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

blueraven

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/15/2012, 03:58 AMI don`t really see the comparason there ^^^."Turbob"is not as bad as the stupid "obey"crap everyone uses."I did some serious obey today"-I spent forty dollars on A copy of Keith Courage.
I recommend you, sir, learn to take a joke.

Also nobody has paid $40 for Keith Courage, ever.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2012, 03:05 AM
Quote from: motdelbourt on 03/15/2012, 02:45 AMLittle known fact, but Turbob was actually the kid on the Turbo Grafx 16 box.
I thought that was Zack from Saved By the Bell
IMG IMG
All those Eighties white kids look the same.
He always looked like Mark Mckinney from Kids in the Hall to me. He's McKinney's trademark smile and hair.

CrackTiger

The only pcefx meme/slang I like is Cook.IMG

The Some important NEWS about the PC Engine! thread (especially the original entry) is pretty cool on its own.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2012, 08:28 PMThe only pcefx meme/slang I like is Cook.IMG

The Some important NEWS about the PC Engine! thread (especially the original entry) is pretty cool on its own.
Pardon the threadjack, but I'm not sure I'm aware of the history behind cook... can someone explain that one to me?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

ccovell

I did a review of Minesweeper here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10254.25
and somebody latched on to the Cook character.  I guess now is a good time to mention something I noticed when originally reviewing the game... is it just me or does Cook look like the old stereotypical cartoon depiction of a person of African descent, just painted white?  That's the impression I got.

Or is he somehow just a duck-like character in a minesweeping video game?

Arkhan Asylum

MASSAH GON LOVES THIS HEAH COOKINS RIGHT CHYEAH.

YESSUM.

*twiddles banjo* 

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

soop

What does a cook want with a toilet brush?
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

JoshTurboTrollX

now I get the cook's quest stuff.

Thanks guys!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: ccovell on 03/16/2012, 09:09 AMI did a review of Minesweeper here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10254.25
and somebody latched on to the Cook character.  I guess now is a good time to mention something I noticed when originally reviewing the game... is it just me or does Cook look like the old stereotypical cartoon depiction of a person of African descent, just painted white?  That's the impression I got.

Or is he somehow just a duck-like character in a minesweeping video game?
I was wondering the same thing. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but it *certainly* seems as if Cook could be based on a racial stereotype.

And, as we know, this wouldn't be the first time for a video game character to be traced back to racism/sexism/homophobia/etc.

Cook's ambiguity is what intrigues me (as you said, he could be a duck), and I hope his origins aren't abominable. IMG

I would like to hear other folks' ideas, because "Cook" is, literally, a cook by profession, which can only fuel the debate...

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/15/2012, 09:05 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/15/2012, 08:28 PMThe only pcefx meme/slang I like is Cook.IMG

Pardon the threadjack, but I'm not sure I'm aware of the history behind cook... can someone explain that one to me?
...and now you know the rest of the story... :pcds:

IMG

I almost forgot to answer the original post. This is TurboB ( turbob.info ) :

IMG

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 03/17/2012, 08:05 AMIMG
Wow.  Now I know.  And knowing is half the battle.  That is freaking hilarious. :D

NecroPhile

With Dragon Spirit tunes playing and a tab open for The Johnny Turbo Official Website.  Well played.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/20/2012, 10:09 AMWith Dragon Spirit tunes playing and a tab open for The Johnny Turbo Official Website.  Well played.  8)
I knew you would appreciate that  :pcgs:.

henrycsc

Esteban, you took the words out of my mouth with that one.  I have more of his shit than any one human should ever have.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

esteban

Quote from: henrycsc on 03/23/2012, 12:05 AMEsteban, you took the words out of my mouth with that one.  I have more of his shit than any one human should ever have.
IMG Cook loves to dance party mix club.

TheClash603

I honestly thought it was TurboBEE, like the Hudson Bee when I first got here.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/24/2012, 01:15 PMI honestly thought it was TurboBEE, like the Hudson Bee when I first got here.
That would be TurBEE! :pcgs:

TEKTORO

Wait wasnt it named after that one game?...Whats its name again..?!
A Boy and his Turbob..Hehe
Create,Share and Play.

turbokon

I got 3 loose extra copy of keith that I would have gladly given to you for free.

Edit: added my complete sentence.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com