RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Finally got my Duo, and started playing Dragon Slayer!

Started by tpivette, 03/19/2012, 09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

So my PC Engine Duo arrived today from Japan... looks great! Hooked everything up and popped in my US copy of Dragon Slayer. I've always wanted to play this game ever since I saw it previewed on the Turbo Duo promo VHS tape I sent away for when I was a kid, so my excitement was high. Watched he opening scenes and all the memories came flooding back.

At first, the monsters were quite easy, but once I left Revere and crossed the bridge heading towards The Pits, the foes became very difficult! Its gonna take some time to save up for the Wolf equipment! Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement about finally getting a Duo and being able to play this game. More CD/Super CD RPGs will be in my future
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

ParanoiaDragon

To this day, this is one of my favorite all time games!  It might not be the longest RPG in the world, but it's damn fun!
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/19/2012, 10:54 PMTo this day, this is one of my favorite all time games!  It might not be the longest RPG in the world, but it's damn fun! 
I wouldn't want it to be any longer than it already is! I think I'll replay Dragon Slayer this summer.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

BigusSchmuck

Damn shame we never saw the sequel make it here to U.S shores. Then again, if someone were to do a fan translation of it I wouldn't be opposed to that even if I had to wait a while for it...

motdelbourt

I liked the voices in that one. There are scores of Legend of Heroes games apparently.

incrediblehark

Legend Of Heroes is a lot of fun! I really enjoy Falcom games

CrackTiger

Dragon Slayer has aged much better than the average RPG for my tastes. Worth owning even just for the soundtrack if you're the type who absolutely refuses to play RPGs.

Wait as long as possible to cash in your lottery ticket to get the biggest reward. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

tpivette

Stayed up til 11pm playing last night, finished the 1st chapter. This game rules, definitely a great RPG. I've heard this one is short, tho, that's kind of disappointing. Oh well, I've got Cosmic Fantasy 2 as a backup if I finish Dragon Slayer quickly

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Bernie

You will love the game.  Prepare for some level grinding towards the end tho.  :)

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

'Tis a great game.  I wish its cinemas were lengthy and plentiful like in other Falcom games, but it's still a lot of fun and full of silliness.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/20/2012, 09:38 AMAre you enjoying the dub?
It's on par with Snatcher Sega-CD.

Dragon Slayer isn't short, it just isn't longer than it needs to be. The battle system works fantasticly and isn't tedius or full of filler like pop RPGs. So the time it takes to finish the game reflects actual gameplay much more than many other games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

I don't like having to play RPGs for hours and hours on end, unless it can actually keep me interested and motivated enough the entire time. Better to keep it short and sweet than long and dragged out. More than 30 hours is too much for me, 10-25 hours is ideal.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Bernie

Quote from: Keranu on 03/20/2012, 07:59 PMI don't like having to play RPGs for hours and hours on end, unless it can actually keep me interested and motivated enough the entire time. Better to keep it short and sweet than long and dragged out. More than 30 hours is too much for me, 10-25 hours is ideal.
Really?  Man, I love it.  I guess if there is NOTHING left to gain, then I wouldnt care too much.  Howeve, I've always loved level grinding, to get something out of it in the end.  Such as optional hard as shit dungeon, or other optional things in a game.  Final Fantasy X comes to mind here.  I know its apples and oranges tho.  lol.

ParanoiaDragon

This game takes me about 10 hours level grinding to 99.  In a way, that's short to me, but it's fun the whole way, just like how Ys games tend to be.  They may not be the longest games(not even the newer ones) but they're fun thru the whole experience.

As for more Legend of Heroes games, there are more, but they aren't part of the Dragon Slayer series.  Legend of Heroes 3-5 are the Gagharv Trilogy.  You can get all three(renumbered so that they are LOH 1-3) on PSP, but....the translation is horrible, & Bandai apparently messed around with the original battle system & made it kinda boring.  I still enjoy them regardless of this, but I can tell they were originally MUCH better games.

There's also Legend of Heroes 6, known over here as Trails in the Sky for PSP.  That game, is near perfect.  It's VERY well written & VERY well translated, & it was originally ported to the PSP by Falcom themselves, rather then Bandai, so it's just really well done over all.  Only problem is, the 2nd game in the Trails trilogy is massive, so it's taking forever & a day to translate.  Plus, when Falcom originally ported Trails 2 to the PSP, it was on 2 UMD's, so that when you get to near the end of the game, you have to switch back to the first UMD(the game is huge), & they haven't been able to get it up on PSN because of this, which means less sales(especially for those with a Vita would want to play PSP games).  So, Xseed is basically just waiting for Falcom to have some spare time(months perhaps?) to re-code it so it can be put up on PSN.  I'm still keeping the faith that somehow it will be released for PSP eventually.  Even if it's in limited number of UMD's.  OR, there's been the talk of possibly putting it on Steam, but, I'd prefer PSP myself.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 03/20/2012, 07:52 PM
Snatcher on Sega CD clearly used actual actors and actresses with acting experience. Dragon Slayer on the other hand......
--DragonmasterDan

_Paul

Dragon Slayer acting is on par with Ys 3. Possibly worse, if that's possible. Bloody great game though.

Obfuscate

I love Dragon Slayer, one of the few turn based games I've ever really liked. I guess Falcom is just that awesome. Played through it again this winter, still super fun way to kill some time.

tpivette

Whew... still playing... on chapter 3 and there's a lot of walking back and forth. Not to mention grinding to save up for the Doom equipment. I also just got the Doom Eye, now its on to exchange it for King Magnus's life. We'll see how that goes tomorrow

Still a super fun game! Wish I could've played this one as a kid back in the early 90s

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Duo_R

agreed, I think Snatcher had very good voice acting for the time, think of all the other Sega CD games that had terrible voice acting. This stuff is horrible. The game does give you the ability to turn off the acting correct? I changed a setting and so far haven't heard the voice actors (they sound like part time high schoolers that got paid 5 bucks to do the game).

I am so loving this game however, so addicted!

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/21/2012, 02:48 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/20/2012, 07:52 PM
Snatcher on Sega CD clearly used actual actors and actresses with acting experience. Dragon Slayer on the other hand......
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

SuitedAJ

Does anyone know how to find the Hyper 2000, Venom Fang, or Trident? I know the first two are random drops at least, though I can't seem to find where again or from whom...

tpivette

Wow, I remember this thread!

I believe I found the Trident somewhere in the last chapter in a treasure chest, although its been so long since I originally played through this game that I can't be 100% sure. Do a search for a post I started about finding the Lantern... I believe it's discussed a little more in there

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

dallaspattern

geise

I love this game!  I remember back in the day hanging out at the pirate's hideout and wasting so...much...time playing a version of othello.  Haha!

TurboXray

Love this game too. I've beaten it many times over the years. I think I'll play it again this summer/fall.

turboswimbz

Quote from: SuitedAJ on 06/18/2013, 03:46 PMDoes anyone know how to find the Hyper 2000, Venom Fang, or Trident? I know the first two are random drops at least, though I can't seem to find where again or from whom...
I believe the venom fang can be found inbetween Havlok and Cardis by random drop from the creatures there but I can't remember.  I don't think I've run across the Hyper 2000 before.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Hyper 2000?

Hyper 2000?

For a moment, I thought you were referring to an SNES game...but, then I realized I was thinking of Firepower 2000...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

kiketonto

congratulations for your new system!
great game you got here. I love it.

turboswimbz

Quote from: kiketonto on 06/23/2013, 08:25 AMcongratulations for your new system!
great game you got here. I love it.
hehe I do believe your about a year late in the congrats!  But I'm sure he'll take it
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

seieienbu

I picked this up recently and had a damn good time playing it.  I guess I want to import the sequel at some point...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SuitedAJ

Quote from: turboswimbz on 06/20/2013, 06:37 PM
Quote from: SuitedAJ on 06/18/2013, 03:46 PMDoes anyone know how to find the Hyper 2000, Venom Fang, or Trident? I know the first two are random drops at least, though I can't seem to find where again or from whom...
I believe the venom fang can be found inbetween Havlok and Cardis by random drop from the creatures there but I can't remember.  I don't think I've run across the Hyper 2000 before.
I found the Venom Fang! It's a random drop off the Bulltoads in Ch. 3 - Anyone else find the Trident or Hyper 2000 in the last few years in a playthrough? :)