RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo cab!

Started by Sadler, 06/17/2012, 10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadler

I was lucky enough to pick up a TurboGrafx cab today from a craigslist deal. Huge thanks to xele for the help moving this thing! Anyway, the whole experience was pretty awesome. :D I thought the seller was quite a character, but I'm probably basing that entirely on his mustache. I asked about other TG marquees or TG/PCE hardware he might have lying around. Turns out the guy has a laseractive! He didn't seem to want to let it go though, and I don't blame him. Anyway, as far as history on this cab goes, apparently it was a Galaga '88 cab converted for United Artist movie theaters. I think the guy said at one time he had two jamma tg's (actually I think he said PCE), but I'm not sure. Anyway, some pics:

Open cabinet:
IMG

Controller:
IMG

Marquee:
IMG
IMG

Galaga sticker:
IMG

Coin mechanism:
IMG

Random wires I don't understand. Presumably video and audio are somewhere in here:
IMG

Way up in the cab. Power supply and some other stuff?
IMG

I'd really like to get this thing up and running again. Presumably my first goal is to figure out the wiring inside the cab so I can make a jamma harness for it?

CPTRAVE

Cool, can't wait to see it put together and working. Is that the one you found for USD 100?

SignOfZeta

So...it doesn't actually have a TG-16 in it? It also looks semi-proprietary, which is odd for something from that far into the JAMMA years.

Well, it doesn't appear to have much rot/squirrel shit in it, so that's good. :)
IMG

Deletion

Very cool. Can you post a pic with the marquee and controller in place?

DrBread

Oh man! This thing is beautiful! I would honestly have ruined jeans after obtaining one of these.
I really like video games...

Sadler

Quote from: CPTRAVE on 06/17/2012, 10:13 PMCool, can't wait to see it put together and working. Is that the one you found for USD 100?
That's the one, although by the time truck rental was through I was out quite a bit more than $100.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/17/2012, 10:45 PMSo...it doesn't actually have a TG-16 in it? It also looks semi-proprietary, which is odd for something from that far into the JAMMA years.

Well, it doesn't appear to have much rot/squirrel shit in it, so that's good. :)
No TG nor harness in it, it's just the cab. Fortunately rodent excrement is minimal. :D

Quote from: Deletion on 06/17/2012, 10:51 PMVery cool. Can you post a pic with the marquee and controller in place?
Sure can!

IMG
IMG

FiftyQuid

That thing is awesome!  I would love to see a picture of it even mockingly put together!  $100 is a steal.  If I was anywhere near you I would have helped you move that piece too.  Very nice!  

[EDIT] Ninja'd.  Thanks!

P.S. - Was that cat in the cabinet or does he belong to you?  :wink:
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Sadler

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 06/17/2012, 11:12 PMThat thing is awesome!  I would love to see a picture of it even mockingly put together!  $100 is a steal.  If I was anywhere near you I would have helped you move that piece too.  Very nice! 
"Assembled" pics just above your post. :)

QuoteP.S. - Was that cat in the cabinet or does he belong to you?  :wink:
Guy only wanted $5 for the cat, so I figured I'd go for it. :wink: J/K that's Bruno :D

BlueBMW

Some of the connectors in there look similar to the connection that were on the harness attached to the original UA TG16 jamma unit I had.  Calling it JAMMA wasn't quite right.... it used some JAMMA like parts, but it really didnt connect plug and play to a jamma cabinet.  It had to be wired in.  Though you could wire it to a jamma fingerboard and make it a jamma compatible unit.

Oh and, while the cabs were pitched as TG16, it is actually a PC engine system used.  They just sold modified game hucards to run US games on it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

That is freakin' AWESOME, Sadler!

CPTRAVE

Awesome, it looks fantastic put together.

Sparky

Very cool and have never seen.... Is there anything that goes over there screen/tv?
There are screw holes :)

Sadler

Thanks eveyone! I'm downright stunned that this thing is in my basement right now. I can't believe everything worked out! :D I know next to nothing about arcade cabs, but my feeling is that I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me to get this thing functional. :)

Quote from: guest on 06/17/2012, 11:45 PMVery cool and have never seen.... Is there anything that goes over there screen/tv?
There are screw holes :)
Yeah, it needs a bezel. :) My understanding is that I can get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit in the notches, then use poster board to mask the edges. It'd be cool to incorporate some art in the bezel, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what would be appropriate. Bonk doesn't seem like a bad choice.

BlueBMW

You need the dude from the tg16 box on the bezel yelling at you whil you play.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/17/2012, 11:53 PMYou need the dude from the tg16 box on the bezel yelling at you whil you play.
Haha!  That made me lol.

T2KFreeker

Nice man. Our arcade had one of those when I was a kid. Got to play a couple games on it and that's another reason I got into the system. Aliens Crush was weird with the joystick though!  :D Really bad ass score there Sadler.
END OF LINE.

Tatsujin

Choose a dark bezel :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Gogan

Great score there! Man, I'd like to come across one of these, or them in-store kiosks.
Nothin beats the real thing.

hoobs88

Nice! I got the marquee for this cabinet a few years ago but never saw a complete one. I planned to make my own cabinet/kiosk but never found any other components.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

NecroPhile

Pretty sweet, Sadler!  Are you sure it's a converted Galaga '88 cabinet?  The layout is wrong from the ones I've seen (button layout, monitor orientation, and speaker location), so maybe it's an original cabinet that was originally set up as a Galaga '88 huey.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

That's amazing Sadler!!  Great score mang, however I think you stole my socks....
Quote from: Sadler on 06/17/2012, 11:08 PM/20r9ppx.jpg
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SuperPlay

Nice pick up :@)

guyjin

Sadler

Quote from: guest on 06/18/2012, 01:55 PMPretty sweet, Sadler!  Are you sure it's a converted Galaga '88 cabinet?  The layout is wrong from the ones I've seen (button layout, monitor orientation, and speaker location), so maybe it's an original cabinet that was originally set up as a Galaga '88 huey.
Well, I've spent some time trying to figure out exactly what I've got on my hands. It doesn't help that I know nothing of arcade games, but I've found some interesting stuff. First, here's a link dump:

neo-geo forum thread with great pics
Manual for hardware
PCEFX thread from some guy that apparently got some portion of the hardware
Most recent PCEFX thread

To address the cab itself, you are right, I don't think this is a Galaga '88 cab. Google image search doesn't show anything like what I've got. What is clear though, is that at least some of this is the United Amusement stuff (more speculation on this later). Compare the controller in these pics:
IMG
IMG

to my controller: /2u6phz6.jpg

The button layout is the same, apparently left/right handed? My controller has a green stick, but that seems pretty minor. My marquee doesn't seem to match the marquee in those pics though.

Anyway, moving on to United Amusement. Anyone know more about these guys? The Galaga sticker on my cab reads "United Artists Theatre Amusements". Is the similarity in name just a coincidence?

/2uemdc1.jpg

henrycsc

Drool city Sadler.  What a super sweet find!

I recently contacted the former owner of United Amusements to ask him if he still had any info or specs on the cabinet & monitor.  Unfortunately, he no longer had any of that info.

Would you mind posting model & part numbers for the pieces that are still installed?
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

Sadler

Quote from: henrycsc on 06/18/2012, 08:36 PMDrool city Sadler.  What a super sweet find!

I recently contacted the former owner of United Amusements to ask him if he still had any info or specs on the cabinet & monitor.  Unfortunately, he no longer had any of that info.

Would you mind posting model & part numbers for the pieces that are still installed?
That's too bad the guy didn't have any more info! But yeah, I'll post everything I can as I bring this thing back to life! :)

TheClash603

Nice!  Never saw one of these before.  Great find at a good price!

csgx1

Nice find!  That's an awesome looking cab.

swiss780

very jelaous... I wonder where i can find one in canada.

SMF

Awesome find, I would have grabbed it for that price also. Worse case you can't ge it workng toss in a old TG16 and wire that bad boy up.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Terminarcade

Wow, what a badass find sadler! Even that cat is speachless in front of that sexy marquee.

Samurai Ghost

Nice buy! With a little TLC that thing will be looking and playing great.

420GOAT

hows the progress?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

Bardoly

Wow!  This looks nice!  I don't remember ever seeing anything like this before. (Turbo that is.)

reno5

Very nice. I have some spare place in my basement where it would fit perfectly ;)

PunkCryborg

Sadler said I had dibs on it if he cant get it going  :D

I promise I didn't make that up  8-[

:twisted:

soop

The actual PC Engine unit that you can see at the bottom of the French magazine scan, I saw on ebay once in 2002 ish.  I believe it was being sold as a PC Engine Jet, and iirc it was going for £150, and it was in Germany.  Never seen one before or since.

also, from http://nfggames.com/games/pce/

Secret 31:
Several Japanese (And possibly other) companies produced adaptors that would allow the PC Engine to function in an arcade cabinet. These would typically include a timer that reset the system when no additional money was inserted before it reached zero, an audio amp, and little else. The unit I have used a large elastic to hold the adaptor to the PC Engine, and with the addition of a few extra parts could function on a megadrive as well. Curiously, it supplied power to the PC Engine through the rear port, not the AC port. Also, it would flash the screen red when the timer was nearly out by maxing the red RGB channel. Obviously this required no changes to the software running on the system.

Secret 32:
If you supply power to the PC Engine or CoreGrafx through the rear expansion port it will bypass the power switch, and you can't turn the system off. This will also bypass the regulator and fuse, so use caution!

*edit* a quick google of "PC engine jet" reveals: http://turbo.mindrec.com/digest/file.php?yr=TURBO.2001&issue=01.TURBO.0134

That might actually be the same one I saw!

And you might want to talk to this guy: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/arcade/pcjet.html
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

420GOAT

dude, i want one so bad!!!!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

esteban

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/17/2012, 11:20 PMSome of the connectors in there look similar to the connection that were on the harness attached to the original UA TG16 jamma unit I had.  Calling it JAMMA wasn't quite right.... it used some JAMMA like parts, but it really didnt connect plug and play to a jamma cabinet.  It had to be wired in.  Though you could wire it to a jamma fingerboard and make it a jamma compatible unit.

Oh and, while the cabs were pitched as TG16, it is actually a PC engine system used.  They just sold modified game hucards to run US games on it.
Do you still have this? It sounds like you no longer have it IMG

Anway, I'd love for you to decide on the best way to describe this beautiful beast. Is "TG-16 Jamma*" and then a disclaimer to accompany the asterisk the best way to go?

The reason I'm asking is because MANY MOONS AGO I took  your old, fabulous thread on the TG-16 Jamma Unit  and made it into a nice page:

IMG
United Artists TG-16 JAMMA

THE PROBELM IS THAT I NEVER FINISHED THE END (I tried to write up a section about United Amusements and the owner and blah blah blah).

SO IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME FINISH THIS, I would be eternally grateful.

I totally forgot I had done this until seeing this thread.

Also, I couldn't believe that BMW's great thread wasn't listed yet! WTF??!!

FINALLY: I am totally envious of everyone!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Drakon

Great piece of history for sure!  Too bad these were made using particle board..
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

BlueBMW

The TG16 Jamma unit I had is now in the hands of turbo museum curator henrycsc as his collection was far more deserving of such a piece.

You might contact him and see if he has any more info on it.

GameFreak

Is this the one that has been posted on craigslist in Colorado forever without pics? Either way.....holy f****** s***, NICE SCORE!

Sadler

Not much to report yet. I got a JAMMA harness in, and a US Duo that I've sent to BMW to be JAMMA-ized.

/ojgz2c.jpg

esteban, that's a great link, thanks!

GameFreak, I suspect that's the one. Can't imagine there are that many TG cabs floating around CO! :D

esteban

This cabinet is simply too awesome. I can't express its beauty in words, so I won't.

IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

Bardoly

Well, since you reminded us of this thread..., how's this project coming along?

Duo_R

Did we ever get the Jamma harness made? Can we share that info with the community? Too awesome!
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Sadler

Sadly the Duo hasn't been Jamma-fied yet. *pokes BMW* :)

PunkCryborg

If Sadler doesn't hurry up and get that cab together I'll be required to take it with force  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/11/2013, 11:53 AMIf Sadler doesn't hurry up and get that cab together I'll be required to take it with force  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Excellent. Then I will stealthily sneak into your home at night and extricate the cab without any disturbances. :pcgs:

Jack Burton

I'm guessing you're going to get the duo rgb modded so you can use one of VileTim's rgb to jamma adapters from the shmup.com forums.  They work great.
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers"
-Marilyn Manson