@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Bad Influence! UK Kids TV featuring Magical Chase

Started by Otaking, 07/30/2012, 09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

soop

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 07/30/2012, 09:58 AMSkip to 15.04
8)
You can set up youtube links to automatically skip by adding &t=*m*s with the asterisks being the number of minutes and seconds, thus:
Handy hint :)  I'll try and sneak a watch of it later.  Violet Berlin did my head in, I used to love Gamesmaster way more!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Otaking

Quote from: soop on 07/30/2012, 10:06 AMYou can set up youtube links to automatically skip by adding &t=*m*s with the asterisks being the number of minutes and seconds, thus:
ahh, cool.  :D

Quote from: soop on 07/30/2012, 10:06 AMViolet Berlin did my head in
Really???? back then I thought she was hot

Quote from: soop on 07/30/2012, 10:06 AMI used to love Gamesmaster way more!
Gamesmaster is legendary, I truly love that programme, the adolescent toilet humour was so awesome!
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Otaking

Gamesmaster Dave Perry Super Mario 64 Incident.
Dave Perry the Billy Kane wannabe got pwnd :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PunkCryborg

soop

Quote from: soop on 07/30/2012, 10:06 AMViolet Berlin did my head in
Really???? back then I thought she was hot[/quote]
IMO, very few girls can pull off short hair, and she wasn't one of them.  I don't know what qualified her to be any kind of host other than she went out with someone from Codemasters.  Probably got something wrong once and angered me :D

Duo_R

never seen her before but she annoyed me, couldn't even pull out a hucard properly.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

RegalSin

](*,)
IMGIMG

soop

TR0N

What did i just watch what the bloody hell !?
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

soop

Wait, I just watched it without sound, but it appeared that Andy Crane was holding a Coryoon Huey While demonstrating Magical Chase.  Is that a fuck-up?

And Yeah, Violet is going to ruin that Duo.

esteban

Quote from: soop on 07/31/2012, 06:55 AMWait, I just watched it without sound, but it appeared that Andy Crane was holding a Coryoon Huey While demonstrating Magical Chase.  Is that a fuck-up?

And Yeah, Violet is going to ruin that Duo.
You gotta watch it with sound!

He is holding Coryoon (I don't think he mentions it by name) and, when footage of Magical Chase is shown, he specifically states that the game we see is "Magical Chase" :pcds:

It's funny that they chose two cute-em-ups!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Otaking

edit______

Otaking

edit______

motdelbourt

Really nice variety of systems for a show like that. I would have expected more Speccy.

SignOfZeta

Damn. That dude with the Street Fighter II tip reminds me of
SFII on Amiga...was there ever a six button controller for Amiga?
IMG

soop

The CD32 pad would have worked.  But it's a waste on that version anyway.

Otaking

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/01/2012, 03:00 AMDamn. That dude with the Street Fighter II tip reminds me of
Ade Edmondson (Vyvyan) is a Legend.
He also stared alongside Rik Mayall in Bottom my favorite programme in the Bad Influence!/Gamesmaster era.
=D>

fraggore

bottom was class as for bad influence loved it when it was on and its really interesting to watch them all now to see how fast technology and gaming changed in the 4 years the show was running.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 08/01/2012, 08:07 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/01/2012, 03:00 AMDamn. That dude with the Street Fighter II tip reminds me of
He also stared alongside Rik Mayall in Bottom my favorite programme in the Bad Influence!/Gamesmaster era.
=D>
PBS in the States (WNYC New York) used to play "The Young Ones" in the late 80's and my brothers and I loved watching it. I'm sure it would seem juvenile to me now, but I loved it back then. I still remember seeing Motorhead perform "Ace of Spades" and the totally not famous band "9 below zero" (????) perform. And that Alexi Sayles (sp?) dude had some spin-off show (starring him alone) that was briefly aired over here, too.

guyjin

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 07/30/2012, 10:16 AMGamesmaster Dave Perry Super Mario 64 Incident.
I don't blame him. Anyone in their right mind would be pissed, after using the controller for 3 armed people for the first time. ;)

kazekirifx

Quote from: soop on 07/30/2012, 10:06 AMYou can set up youtube links to automatically skip by adding &t=*m*s with the asterisks being the number of minutes and seconds, thus:
Wow. An FM Towns on English-speaking TV. Why does this exist?

SignOfZeta

Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2012, 03:30 PM
=D>
PBS in the States (WNYC New York) used to play "The Young Ones" in the late 80's and my brothers and I loved watching it. I'm sure it would seem juvenile to me now, but I loved it back then. I still remember seeing Motorhead perform "Ace of Spades" and the totally not famous band "9 below zero" (????) perform. And that Alexi Sayles (sp?) dude had some spin-off show (starring him alone) that was briefly aired over here, too.
I first saw The Young Ones on, of all places, MTV, in what must have been 1989 or so. It BLEW MY FUCKING MIND to be honest, and I still think its one of the best shows of all time. I can't understand how people who make shit like Everybody Loves Raymond or Tosh.O can even get up in the morning and go to work knowing something so hilarious and perfect and succinct as The You Ones can exist.

I discovered the show on late night TV in the same way I saw stuff like Tommy, The Fantastic Planet, The Point, Barbarella, and other weird insane genius shit. When you are a teenager seeing that stuff for the first time...you never saw an add for it, there was no word of mouth, no preceding or follow-up programs, no warning, no hype, it just sneaks up from behind and totally bum rushes your ass. There is nothing like it on Earth.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/02/2012, 12:00 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2012, 03:30 PM
=D>
I first saw The Young Ones on, of all places, MTV, in what must have been 1989 or so. It BLEW MY FUCKING MIND to be honest, and I still think its one of the best shows of all time. I can't understand how people who make shit like Everybody Loves Raymond or Tosh.O can even get up in the morning and go to work knowing something so hilarious and perfect and succinct as The You Ones can exist.

I discovered the show on late night TV in the same way I saw stuff like Tommy, The Fantastic Planet, The Point, Barbarella, and other weird insane genius shit. When you are a teenager seeing that stuff for the first time...you never saw an add for it, there was no word of mouth, no preceding or follow-up programs, no warning, no hype, it just sneaks up from behind and totally bum rushes your ass. There is nothing like it on Earth.
Agreed. I saw "The Third Man" on late-night PBS. FRIGGIN' AMAZING

Same deal with "Black Orpheus" and "5 Million Years to Earth" and "The Man Who Fell To Earth".... I just happened to stumble upon this stuff as a young kid and instantly fell in love with it.

Back on topic...

Quote from: kazekirifx on 08/01/2012, 08:46 PM
Besides the obvious (someone who friggin' loved videogames and had $$$ was friends with the producer), the host of the show mentions that some UK developers have created games for the FM Towns.

Could this be the tenuous UK-->FM Marty connection?

For me, it is. :pcgs:

kazekirifx

Quote from: esteban on 08/02/2012, 03:31 AMthe host of the show mentions that some UK developers have created games for the FM Towns.

Did they or is he just referring to UK developed games that were ported to the FM Towns, like Scavenger 4?

soop

Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2012, 03:30 PMPBS in the States (WNYC New York) used to play "The Young Ones" in the late 80's and my brothers and I loved watching it. I'm sure it would seem juvenile to me now, but I loved it back then.
I feel the same.  I never liked Bottom, and I never found a lot of that stuff very funny either.  A lot of UK comedy shows at that time over used similes for humour - to the point it was probably every other punchline, or in the case of Red Dwarf, every punchline.  I preferred Monty Python, the Fast show when it came out, Black Adder goes Fourth was ok, and Vic Reeves/ Reeves and Mortimer.

I hate shit like Everybody Loves Raymond, Curb your Enthusiasm, King of Queens, and also 2 broke girls is very put on.

But if you like Bottom, Alexi Sayle and the Young ones, you will probably also like:

Blackadder (the fourth series is the best IMO)
Red Dwarf
The Harry Enfield Show

Um, that's all I can think of for now.  Try it out.

however, this, I find hilarious:

SignOfZeta

I actually don't like Black Adder very much. It always seem overly raught and kind of cheesy. one step above Are You Being Served.
IMG

soop

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/02/2012, 10:49 AMI actually don't like Black Adder very much. It always seem overly raught and kind of cheesy. one step above Are You Being Served.
Huh, I lump it into the same pile there. The reason I like fourth, is Rick Mayall as Captain flash heart, and Fry and Laurie as their respective characters.  Fry was(is?) a comic genius.

esteban

Quote from: soop on 08/02/2012, 11:12 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/02/2012, 10:49 AMI actually don't like Black Adder very much. It always seem overly raught and kind of cheesy. one step above Are You Being Served.
Huh, I lump it into the same pile there. The reason I like fourth, is Rick Mayall as Captain flash heart, and Fry and Laurie as their respective characters.  Fry was(is?) a comic genius.
You guys are silly. The entire Black Adder series is decent, especially compared to what was on TV in the 80's. I liked the last season of Black Adder THE LEAST.

Fry & Laurie (series overall) was much funnier, but sketch comedy allows for that, so it's not entirely fair.

As penance, both of you must watch 8 episodes of "Allo Allo" back-to-back, no intermissions, no breaks.

soop

Quote from: esteban on 08/02/2012, 11:28 AMAs penance, both of you must watch 8 episodes of "Allo Allo" back-to-back, no intermissions, no breaks.
/wrists

SuperPlay

Funnily enough a couple of months (as well as back in the 90s!) ago I watched all of the episodes of Bad Influence and I had forgotten about the TG16 begin on the show.

As for Violet Berlin yes quite annoying, however there was just something about her in the earlier series that caught my eye :-)

Otaking

The dude who uploaded this Bad Influence! video has got some awesome playlists.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DynamiteHeaddy/videos?view=1

:D

Edit: for The Daibijin

Duo_R

Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

esteban

I have to ask you guys about an aspect of the show:

AT THE VERY END of the original video posted here, there is a "DATA DUMP" where several pages of white text are flashed in a black box occupying part of the screen. I didn't pause the video, but I am assuming that viewers were expected to record this show on VCR's and then pause/slow motion during playback to read the various hints/codes/info?

If so, then this was a wonderful idea!!!!

I used to record video game commercials and play them in slow-motion to get a better idea of what the games were like (I did this with the TG-16 launch commercials, for example).

Anyway, this reminded me of an AWESOME thing that the BBC (and Dutch Radio, too, I think) did back in the day:

Commodore 64/Speccy/insert your favorite micro-PC software programs were aired on public radio. All you had to do was record the "program" on an audio cassette. Anyone tuning in during the broadcast would simply hear beeps/blips/boops.

I only just found out about this, and I think it is an utterly fantastic idea! What a fantastic means of distribution! Friggin' wonderful. As someone who actually used cassettes (Commodore PET at grammar school), I would have loved the opportunity to try new software at school.

:pcgs:

SuperPlay

Yup the "DATA DUMP" at the end of the show was for you to play in slow mo on you VHS :-)  When the show was aired in the '90s I used to love this!

DrBread

After i watched this episode i've been watching all the others! :)
I really like video games...

esteban

Quote from: SuperPlay on 08/04/2012, 05:12 PMYup the "DATA DUMP" at the end of the show was for you to play in slow mo on you VHS :-)  When the show was aired in the '90s I used to love this!
Ha! :pcgs:

I love novel ideas like that.

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 08/04/2012, 06:30 PM
Quote from: SuperPlay on 08/04/2012, 05:12 PMYup the "DATA DUMP" at the end of the show was for you to play in slow mo on you VHS :-)  When the show was aired in the '90s I used to love this!
Ha! :pcgs:

I love novel ideas like that.
Yeh I used to watch the DATA DUMP after each episode, used to give me a splitting headache though, lol.

Otaking

Quote from: DrBread on 08/04/2012, 06:04 PMAfter i watched this episode i've been watching all the others! :)
Nice :-)

SuperPlay

Just watching some Knightmare that has been uploaded by the same user.  I had used to love this when I was younger

Tatsujin

Quote from: esteban on 08/02/2012, 03:31 AM
Quote from: kazekirifx on 08/01/2012, 08:46 PM
Besides the obvious (someone who friggin' loved videogames and had $$$ was friends with the producer), the host of the show mentions that some UK developers have created games for the FM Towns.

erm, psygnosis f.e. was a dev. team that worked on pce and fm town (via victor). shadow of the beast and stuff, ya know?  so they kinda had to work on western sets as well to do so :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: motdelbourt on 08/01/2012, 12:57 AMReally nice variety of systems for a show like that. I would have expected more Speccy.
noone expects the span..er..limey speccy :D

but true, a lot of cool stuff at that time, and probably never seen outside japan on TiVi like that.

not sure if the french show "micro kids" ever covered the FM Towns and marty in one of their legendary shows.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

I think it is fair to state that absolutely no television shows in North America showcased FM Marty, SuperGrafx, etc.

So, even if the UK show wasn't great, it was infinitely better than what we had.

Otaking

Quote from: SuperPlay on 08/05/2012, 07:31 AMJust watching some Knightmare that has been uploaded by the same user.  I had used to love this when I was younger
Where am I?
You're in a room with a table, on the table is small white games console connected to a televison set.....
Spellcasting   O-B-E-Y.....
:lol: