10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Started by Xray, 08/03/2012, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xray

Long time turbo guy here, got my first turbo, I'm going to say early 1990's. This was before the internet, so no craigslist or ebay.
There was a trading newspaper here, probably elsewhere as well, called the "Tradin Times" ,,, I think its still around, mostly for vehicles.
This was really the only venue when you wanted something used, so not sure what made me want a turbo, but I saw a couple listed there and got one.
Only came with a few games, so I went to Toys R Us to get some more. Ended up getting quite a few, and had many classic moments playing the turbo. As computer games started coming out, I started getting more into those, and the old turbo sat around collecting dust ... Until I had kids of my own.
They went nuts for Bonk, Chew Man Fu, and quite a few other games, and I started getting back into them, along with nieces, nephews and their friends. I was tempted to sell it before, but was mighty glad that I didn't.
So they grew up, and it fell into another period of collecting dust.
I got a nice camper at a campground that offers alot of activities, big beaches ect. Been taking my kids and nephews there for years, but have always prohibited video games, as they spend too much time clicking buttons when they should be out and about at the camp. A couple weeks ago we headed up there for the weekend, and the first day was forecast for alot of rain.
Rain really sucks at camp, nothing to do, especially with bored teens sitting around ,,, So I thought hey, why not bring the Turbo up to kill some time while its raining ?

Great idea, my nephew was overjoyed when I broke out the turbo, we hooked it up and both had a blast from the past. His friends were impressed too, they got addicted pretty quick to some of these games, which they have never heard of before. So once again, my Turbo is experiencing a resurgence, and this time its going to last.
I want to mod my deck or get a card so I can try out some Jap games. I got a pretty basic system, TG16, TurboTap, TurboBooster, 2 controllers and a joystick. Here is my inventory of games, almost all complete with boxes, cases and instructions.
Back in the day, I almost always saved boxes of stuff I bought, and I'm glad that I did. Ever comes time to sell, obviously the boxes will add quite a bit to the price.

Aero Blasters
Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Andre Panza Kick Boxing
Battle Royale
Blazing Lazers
Bloody Wolf
Bomberman
Bomberman 93
Bonks Adventure/Revenge/3
BoxyBoy
Bravoman
Cadish
Chew Man Fu
China Warrior
Cratermaze
Cyber Core
Darkwing Duck
Dead Moon
Deep Blue
Devils Crush
Double Dungeons
Dragon Spirit
Drop Off
Dungeon Explorer
Falcon
Fantasy Zone
Final Twin Lap
Galaga 90
Ghost Manor
Gunboat
Hit The Ice
Impossamole
Jackie Chans Action Kung Fu
Jack Nichlaus Turbo Golf
J.J. AND JEFF
Keith Courage
Klax
Legendary Axe 1&2
Legend of Hero Tomna
Military Madness
Neutopia
Night Creatures
Ninja Spirit
Order of the Griffon
Pac Land
Parasol Stars
Power Golf
Psychosis
R-Type
Raiden
Side Arms
Silent Debuggers
Sinistron
Soldier Blade
Somer Assault
Space Harrier
Splatterhouse
Sports Baseball
SPORTS FOOTBALL
Super Star Soldier
Super Volleyball
TIGER ROAD
Timeball
Tricky Kick
Turrican
TV Sports Hockey
Veigues Tactical Gladiator
Victory Run
World Class Baseball
WORLD COURT TENNIS
Yo Bro

I indeed had Magical Chase, box, jewel case and all.
Once I saw how much they were going for on ebay, I couldn't resist, and sold it a couple years back. No regrets, I'd do it again if I had one. Never aspired for a complete collection, never liked the game all that much, and I think its ridiculous how much people will pay for this. Of course, I wish I bought a whole crate of them back in the day from Toys R Us ,,, Who coulda guessed ?
Still looking to add to my collection though and, like I say, would like to have the capability to play Jap games.

hizaygizirlz

Welcome XRAY.  Nice collection!
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

CGQuarterly

Welcome welcome.  Looks like you have a nice collection, there.

Chris

reno5

Welcome, great collection. Fun to have kids (or adults) around looking at the turbo asking "what is this ? " and then play for a while and have fun.

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard.  It's always good to hear of some younger peeps getting into and enjoying the Turbob.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

welcome to the loonies in the nuthouse up in obeyus :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esadajr

Welcome. It will be probably best for you to get  a PC Engine vs mod your system or find a converter.
Gaming since 1985

Bardoly

Wow, you've already got basically two-thirds of the U.S.-released HuCard set.  If you're ignoring re-getting a U.S. version of Magical Chase, then, if you wanted yo, it looks like you could complete a set without too much difficulty.  I've got just a few more titles than you (about 70, I believe), but your collection may be better than mine.  Kudos on introducing this under-appreciated-by-the-masses great video game system to the younger generation!

By the way, welcome to pcengine-fx.com!

soop

Nice collection you've got there.  Really good to see someone out there who's down with playing 'em, especially that such a great bunch of games has been enjoyed by so many people.

I approve.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

420GOAT

welcome, an old timer who never sold it....sweet!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

Xray

Thanks for the welcome, been reading through some of these threads with interest.
I can't see myself paying $150+ for an adapter card, mod seems the best possibility [I got a spare turbo deck laying around somewhere] ,, PCE is worth a thought, but then I'd have to have both decks if I wanted to play a mix of games, not too appealing.

I love TG, I'm glad that I made the investment in games back then. To be honest, I did scam a few from Toys R Us [not outright stealing, they kept all their games behind a counter], but the majority I bought new.
A few times over the years I have been on the brink of selling the whole works, but couldn't ever bring myself to do it. Now, nothing but complete financial ruin could compel me to sell it.
Never got into any other consoles. My kids have an xbox with dozens of games, an xbox2, a game cube with 100's of burned games, never played any of them, except "outlaw volleyball" I got into for a while. I did get into computer games a bit, and besides my occasional bouts with TG, thats the only gaming I get, and thats good enough for me. I watch people play some of these newer games ,,, Great graphics, but they seem pointless to me, and frantic.
Guess I'm old school to stay, nice to know that theres a community of fellow TG nuts out there !

SMF

Welcome, Nice collection you have. I would invest in a Duo R or RW and get it modded to play US games that way you can throw more $$$$ on PC Engine games that are awesome.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

T2KFreeker

Welcome to the fold. Crack a Beer, burn a smake and enjpy the ride. Lots of cool stuff going on including new games coming. Mysterious Sonh, Pyramid Plunder, and Atlantean should be cool! Atlantean especially since it will be the first Hu Card in 20 someodd years or so.
END OF LINE.

esteban

Xray, welcome.

I enjoyed reading about how TG-16 has been revisited by you and the young ones over the last two decades.

Very nice :pcgs:.

I, too, kept all the boxes for my games. Sadly, though, I lost a lot of other stuff during the countless moves I've made. Oh well.

You know we have to ask you when you are going to explore all the fantastic CD-ROM games available.

And, of course, I know you're already thinking about the Japanese HuCards.

:pcds:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Xray

I am a complete Turbo CD virgin, have never even seen one.
So I may have to spring for a CD equipped unit as well, that would certainly open up a few new doors.

I was in contact with a guy named Dean Dragoli, found him while googling turbo mods ,, I presume he may be a member of this forum.
Said he was still doing mods, sounded reasonable, but then stopped answering my emails, So I'll have to look elsewhere, or attempt to do it myself.

Bernie

Quote from: Xray on 08/04/2012, 06:46 PMI am a complete Turbo CD virgin, have never even seen one.
So I may have to spring for a CD equipped unit as well, that would certainly open up a few new doors.

I was in contact with a guy named Dean Dragoli, found him while googling turbo mods ,, I presume he may be a member of this forum.
Said he was still doing mods, sounded reasonable, but then stopped answering my emails, So I'll have to look elsewhere, or attempt to do it myself.
Yeah, Dean is a member here.  Dlite is his forum name.  The dude stays busy as shit, but he will get back to you.  Just sometimes takes him a bit.  There are others here that do mods as well though.

geise

Welcome!  Great story!  Nice to always have some of us older fellers' round here. :)  Like bernie mentioned there's other awesome modders here as well.  Doing name dropping they are:  BlueBMW, Chop5, and thesteve.  A couple more, but those are the most used I believe.  Very trusted members and active modders.

Xray

Well, I shouldn't expect anyone to rush to service my turbo ... Pretty busy myself.
I send 2 emails and thats it though, after that I feel like I am bugging them, and its on them to get back to me.
If anyone name dropped feels like shooting me a PM with details, feel free. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and have done plenty of various mods over the years, but I've heard this one can be tricky.

Xray

I bought a region adapter card for $130 on ebay, not sure if I should pat myself on the back or kick myself in the ass.
Bottom line though, I will be able to play some Jap games without mod, and I think the thing should hold its value, if not increase.

TR0N

Quote from: Xray on 08/08/2012, 02:29 AMI bought a region adapter card for $130 on ebay, not sure if I should pat myself on the back or kick myself in the ass.
Bottom line though, I will be able to play some Jap games without mod, and I think the thing should hold its value, if not increase.
I think converters are over priced to begin with.Sure that will let you keep the console original,but i think having a region mod would have been better.Also having a region switch put in is more convenient.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Xray

Over priced, for sure.
Don't even have any Jap games yet, but 1 is included with the card. Not many options here, mod, dual systems or card, and each carries its pros and cons.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Xray on 08/08/2012, 02:29 AMI bought a region adapter card for $130 on ebay, not sure if I should pat myself on the back or kick myself in the ass.
Definitely the kick.  They're rather finicky to use, and that money woulda went a long ways towards getting a Duo, but it's your dime.  Have fun with it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esadajr

Dean is a good guy, I bought my modded DuoR from him. I got a good deal on games too. Everything was carefully packaged and works rock solid.

Sometimes he's just too busy wih real life. Just give him some time. He'll be back.
Gaming since 1985

Bernie

Quote from: esadajr on 08/08/2012, 12:54 PMDean is a good guy, I bought my modded DuoR from him. I got a good deal on games too. Everything was carefully packaged and works rock solid.

Sometimes he's just too busy wih real life. Just give him some time. He'll be back.
This.  :)

geise

My orange Kisado Converter has been rock solid for the past 15 or so.  The build quality is great to me.  As for the now a day prices they are rediculous.  Mine came from TZD for 19 bucks.  I just got Sapphire and needed it for my arcade card.  TZD was "nice" enough to throw in Xevious for me.  Oh the joy! :lol:

You know though, you already paid for it.  So, whatever.  Enjoy using it and buy lots of pc-engine games.  Fun times are to be had now.

Xray

Mine is the orange one.
If it works, I'll be satisfied. Not going to 2nd guess, $130 ain't gonna make or break me, and I can always get my $$ back if I want to resell.
My question is, is there a game play difference between the Jap Bomberman, and the US ?

soop

Nope, but I believe the Japanese ones are cheaper, and I don't think Bomberman '94 came out in the US, and that's my favorite (because of the kangaroos).

But Bomberman '93 is so identical that you can play two-player across a GT and a TE.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

esteban

Quote from: soop on 08/09/2012, 06:32 AMNope, but I believe the Japanese ones are cheaper, and I don't think Bomberman '94 came out in the US, and that's my favorite (because of the kangaroos).

But Bomberman '93 is so identical that you can play two-player across a GT and a TE.
Correct, Bomberman '94 did not come out in North America.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

geise

Only difference I know about in Bomberman 93 is the text about the next level boss.  It's before you start a new world stage.  That's pretty much it from what I recall.  So go for the pc-e version cause US Turbo versions have gone stupid in price.  So many awesome, cheap games on pc-engine.

Xray

I already got the US versions, so no sense going for pce if they are identical

geise

Awesome! 8)  Now you only need bomberman 94.  :D

Nando

SuitedAJ

I could be interested in several of your list! :) How much for any or all of the games below?

Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Bomberman
Bomberman 93
Devils Crush
Parasol Stars
Psychosis
R-Type
Raiden
Sinistron
Splatterhouse
Super Star Soldier
Turrican
Victory Run

SuitedAJ

I could be interested in several of your list! :) How much for any or all of the games below?

Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Bomberman
Bomberman 93
Devils Crush
Parasol Stars
Psychosis
R-Type
Raiden
Sinistron
Splatterhouse
Super Star Soldier
Turrican
Victory Run

VestCunt

You know this isn't a sale thread?
Topic Adjourned.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SuitedAJ on 09/12/2012, 05:18 PMI could be interested in several of your list! :) How much for any or all of the games below?

Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Bomberman
Bomberman 93
Devils Crush
Parasol Stars
Psychosis
R-Type
Raiden
Sinistron
Splatterhouse
Super Star Soldier
Turrican
Victory Run
/3715082700b.jpg

thesteve

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/12/2012, 05:44 PM
Quote from: SuitedAJ on 09/12/2012, 05:18 PMI could be interested in several of your list! :) How much for any or all of the games below?

Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Bomberman
Bomberman 93
Devils Crush
Parasol Stars
Psychosis
R-Type
Raiden
Sinistron
Splatterhouse
Super Star Soldier
Turrican
Victory Run
/3715082700b.jpg
love it

Xray

I'll go ahead and lock this one to avoid another collective circle jerk - You guys must be about jizzed out, take a little rest !