What are you expecting from the next generation of consoles?

Started by Nando, 08/24/2012, 10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Other than graphics; which will obviously get better, I'd like to see improved AI. Now I would hope for old and new genres to be explored with new AI routines but we'll  more than likely get another FPS fest with better AI. I'm doubting I will get into the next gen console affair at this point in time.

Bernie

Nothing.  Newer games have lost my interest for the most part.  If anything I will get the new Xbox, but only when Fable is released for it.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

HercTNT

Quote from: geise on 08/24/2012, 10:21 AMNot a god damn thing.
[/quot
Quote from: guest on 08/24/2012, 10:17 AMI'm expecting a bunch of bullshit.
[/quot
Quote from: Bernie on 08/24/2012, 10:02 AMNothing.  Newer games have lost my interest for the most part.  If anything I will get the new Xbox, but only when Fable is released for it.
e]e]

This sums it up for me pretty well. consoles are not next generation if they just keep upping the graphics but not the quality of the gameplay. They need to give us something new or get out.

NecroPhile

The only thing to look for is better graphics, higher resolutions, and better physics; everything else (good art, AI, fun, etc.) aren't being held back by current processing power.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ji-L87

Quote from: guest on 08/24/2012, 10:17 AMI'm expecting a bunch of bullshit.
This. More or less.

Things really have changed for the worse this console generation and I don't see things getting better soon. Hopefully the games will be a-okay but I don't see myself getting on the bandwagon even remotely soon. Most likely, I will pick up one of those new systems used, if that still is possible and not locked down or something similarly stupid.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

JoshTurboTrollX

I actually kind of prefer this gen (PS Wii60) to the last (GC,XBOX,PS2).  There has been a resurgence on sorts for 2d gaming and getting more bang for your buck.  ($1 indy games much?)

That's not to say I'm like super stoked for the next gen, or any of the crap that comes out these days, but I would imagine I'll take a look at the Wii-U and whatever the next offering comes from Microsoft.

There's always that Ouya thing too, does that count?
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Ouya doesn't count.  You might as well own a small linux pc box with a usb control pad.

I guess there's one thing to expect this coming generation.  More companies to go belly up in a dying stale market.

Nando

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/24/2012, 11:57 AMThere has been a resurgence on sorts for 2d gaming and getting more bang for your buck.  ($1 indy games much?)
I rather like this too, the indy market is HUGE! with lot of cool options. I'm debating on getting a Vita since I already own a PS3 and don't have a PSP any more. The inexpensive digital library for old games is enticing.

Ji-L87

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/24/2012, 11:57 AMI actually kind of prefer this gen (PS Wii60) to the last (GC,XBOX,PS2).  There has been a resurgence on sorts for 2d gaming and getting more bang for your buck.  ($1 indy games much?)
That's the good thing that has happened, but the bad outweigh this, in my opinion of course, and includes but not limited to always online DRM, extreme patching and heaps of DLC, profiles which needs to be signed in, hacking issues, CoD wannabees and headset equipped online-twats, Activision, Zynga, EA, Capcom, large scale system failures for two out of three consoles, "westernisation" of Japanese franchises and the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 :P

Also dubstep :D

Edit:
At least the PS3 & PSP is region free, a decision that probably took more balls than I have and something I applaud.  =D>
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

NecroPhile

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/24/2012, 11:57 AMThere's always that Ouya thing too, does that count?
I don't see why not, seeing as the games are supposed to made specifically for it (though many will surely be identical on android devices).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

420GOAT

if it could make me a sandwich and earn me money...that would be the shit!!! but i dont play new stuff unless its gauntlet style marvel shit, animal hunting, or fighting games....if i wanted to watch a movie ill watch a fucken movie.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

jlued686

I'm expecting more set-top-box/jack-of-all-trades bullshit and even more hardware failure as a result. It'd be nice if just one console maker would buck the trend and say, "You know what? Fuck it: we're going to make an inexpensive console that does one thing and does it well: play games. You want it? Here: $100!" Maybe that's Ouya. Who knows?

Arkhan Asylum

I expect a bunch of shit games made by clueless round eyes, and about 10 games from Japan that aren't boring.

3 or 4 of them will be fighters.

The rest, RPGs, or Metal Gear. 

:)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PCEngineHell

I expect newer systems to still be slower and a less quality gaming experience then both my pc gaming rigs. The days of gaming systems outpacing pc gaming ended with the 360.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/27/2012, 02:12 PMI expect newer systems to still be slower and a less quality gaming experience then both my pc gaming rigs. The days of gaming systems outpacing pc gaming ended with the 360.
Yeah. 

I notice most of the games I enjoy on my PS3 are just really high res, hand drawn art games like Wizardry (off the PSN) and Persona 4 Arena and shit.  It's all just fancy sprite work..

the 3D games all get played on the PC.

SignOfZeta

My main interest in the next gen is if Sony can actually survive it.
IMG

SMF

I'm more old school when it come to games but I will be looking forward to what Nintendo has planned. I wanna see the 1st party games be released for the WiiU and also I wanna see what VC games will get released on the system.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

BigusSchmuck

A Super Duo with a Arcade Card built in and SuperGrafx capability. Enough said.

Nando

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 08/28/2012, 03:01 PMA Super Duo with a Arcade Card built in and SuperGrafx capability. Enough said.
Cost effectiveness, planning and well all that other practical stuff aside. HOW COOL would it be if an "updated" version of the system were to come out.  Geise needs to mock this up in 3D lol

esadajr

The reason I'm probably (still haven't decided) getting an 8th gen console is so I can play the new releases.

I just don't think I will ever feel impressed by a nexgen console again.

NES-> GEN you had 16bit graphics, blast processing!
GEN-> PSX a whole new 3D world, powerful 2D games, variety
PSX-> DC great graphics, great games, more posibilities
DC -> Xbox even more posibilities, good selection of games (although not as good as PS2), more power
Xbox -> X360 HD graphics. Selection is as good as the previous generation. Things got out of track (which is good sometimes).
X360 -> WiiU / X720 / PS4 I'm not excited a bit.
Gaming since 1985

Nando

Quote from: esadajr on 08/28/2012, 04:01 PMX360 -> WiiU / X720 / PS4 I'm not excited a bit.
Out of that group the Wii U interests me the most, just to see what Nintendo will do with their own franchises. I enjoy their art direction. Still not enough to buy it.  On the plus side for me, I can probably snag a Wii for pretty cheap when the U comes out.  Been wanting to try some GC and Wii titles for awhile.

TheClash603

I got to play the Wii U last weekend and it was pretty neat.  I am not a huge fan of how my middle finger feels on the trigger in the back, but otherwise it was a lot of fun.  Though I will say that the Zombi game didn't look any better (or even as good?) as my PS3 games.  If Nintendo can come up with some good ideas for the controller, it should be an interesting system.

Motion control is the only thing that doesn't excite me.  I hope that PS4 and X720 don't focus on this shit, but it is pretty obvious that at least the X720 will.

Also, I hope they stop making stealth games.  As the generations progress, we get more and more of this bullshit, and these games are all awful.  Metal Gear Solid ruined 3 generations of gaming.

esadajr

Quote from: Nando on 08/28/2012, 04:23 PMI can probably snag a Wii for pretty cheap when the U comes out.  Been wanting to try some GC and Wii titles for awhile.
You make an excellent point. The Wii (especially if you tweak it) is an excellent, affordable entertainment machine.
Gaming since 1985

kazekirifx

In a way, the current generation had to bare the burden of making the transition of SD->HD resolution, so I'm hoping that in the next generation we can go far beyond that and just concentrate on upping the specs on everything to a very noticeable degree. I'll be happy with that. My biggest hope is that Sony and Microsoft don't feel the need to start integrating special controllers and crap like that into the initial package. People who want that can get a Wii U.

Firebomber7

HuCard slots for all consoles. If there is anything less, the gaming industry has failed.
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

RegalSin

Lets all just agree not to buy the next generation, and save our money, instead. They are going to throw some sorta gimmick at us, and people are going to eat it, like fishes.
IMGIMG

kazekirifx

I will be playing the next Xbox and PS4.
Hell, I can't live without the Assassin's Creed and Uncharted serieseses.

New games just are what they are, and classic games are a separate concept to me.
There's no point arguing which is "better", they're just fundamentally different.

There was a point in the early 2000's when I was really jaded and skipped out on the whole PS2 generation, focusing on classic games and Japanese retro PC's instead.

But when the PS3 came out, I decided to buy one, and I immediately became hooked on current games again. It's good to have something to talk about, and to be able to play online with friends.

I had my jaded "only old games are any good" phase, and then I got it out of my system. It's nice to be able to appreciate both the new and old, for their own merits.

(Even though there is no point arguing, to set the record straight classic games will always be "better", and pretty much nothing released later than 1995 will ever really be considered classic to me.)

Arkhan Asylum

Im going to buy all of the new systems.

Then, I am going to go "goddamnit these fucking suck"

Then some game that might as well be on PS1 will come out on the PSN, and I'll be like

FUCKKKK YEAHHHHH

geise

Quote from: guest on 08/31/2012, 10:15 AMIm going to buy all of the new systems.

Then, I am going to go "goddamnit these fucking suck"

Then some game that might as well be on PS1 will come out on the PSN, and I'll be like

FUCKKKK YEAHHHHH
Haha!  That is the honest freaking truth right there! :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

The most exciting thing on my Xbox 360 is Otomedius, and that shit could be done on a cell phone.

geise

Quote from: guest on 08/31/2012, 10:28 AMThe most exciting thing on my Xbox 360 is Otomedius, and that shit could be done on a cell phone.
I like the mindless fun of Children of Eden.  Granted, Rez is one of my favorite DC games.

One thing I just thought of is that I just recently finished my first next gen game in probably 3 years.  Lollipop Chainsaw is great fun!  I would love to see a sequel on a next gen system.  Having the ability to also play as your other family members with different abilities.

CGQuarterly

I have a 360 and a Wii, and can't motivate myself to play either of them.  I just don't like modern games.  I have a PS2 with a pile of games, and never play that, either.  Same goes for my Xbox.  I recently hooked my Dreamcast up for a few days to play that new Turrican-style game that just came out for it, but then it went back on the shelf.  Not to sound like a homer, but I just keep going back to my Turbo.  I'm thinking that this might be a Genesis weekend, though.

Chris

Nando

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 08/31/2012, 05:48 PMNot to sound like a homer, but I just keep going back to my Turbo. 
My gaming time is rather short and my Beefcase unit; yes BEEFCAKE! gets most of that time. Mainly shooters and Asuka Burning burninator!

8bitForLife

The wiiu (stupid name) might interest me just because im a nintendo guy but i did like the saturn and dreamcast. Wish nintendo would just buy out sega or just merge.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

RegalSin

That is like allowing the trix rabbit to get his way, or for Betty Boop to lose her Boop doop de do, or Tom eating Jerry. Willy beating Megaman, or Forte not being Zero. Bomberman being arrested for carrying bombs. Knuckles being Green.

QuoteWish nintendo would just buy out sega or just merge
IMGIMG

kazekirifx

Quote from: RegalSin on 09/09/2012, 07:06 PMThat is like allowing the trix rabbit to get his way, or for Betty Boop to lose her Boop doop de do, or Tom eating Jerry. Willy beating Megaman, or Forte not being Zero. Bomberman being arrested for carrying bombs. Knuckles being Green.
But the Trix Rabbit DID get his way (after the vote), and Sonic has been on Nintendo systems for years now. Back in the day, we thought the sky would fall before that would happen.

Oh yeah, and Pepsi and Coke are merging, and McDonald's is licensing the Big Mac to Burger King.

turboswimbz

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 08/31/2012, 05:48 PMI have a 360 and a Wii, and can't motivate myself to play either of them.  I just don't like modern games.  I have a PS2 with a pile of games, and never play that, either.  Same goes for my Xbox.  I recently hooked my Dreamcast up for a few days to play that new Turrican-style game that just came out for it, but then it went back on the shelf.  Not to sound like a homer, but I just keep going back to my Turbo.  I'm thinking that this might be a Genesis weekend, though.

Chris
here here on this one.  I find the same thing myself, modern games just lack something lately.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

8bitForLife

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 08/31/2012, 05:48 PMI have a 360 and a Wii, and can't motivate myself to play either of them.  I just don't like modern games.  I have a PS2 with a pile of games, and never play that, either.  Same goes for my Xbox.  I recently hooked my Dreamcast up for a few days to play that new Turrican-style game that just came out for it, but then it went back on the shelf.  Not to sound like a homer, but I just keep going back to my Turbo.  I'm thinking that this might be a Genesis weekend, though.

Chris
gunlord and i bought the dragonbox for it. Its a great game.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

8bitForLife

Yey don't blame a guy for thinking of wondrous things like 2 great company's merging and bringing down sony and microsoft. IT CAN HAPPEN my dog told me so in my dream.

Quote from: RegalSin on 09/09/2012, 07:06 PMThat is like allowing the trix rabbit to get his way, or for Betty Boop to lose her Boop doop de do, or Tom eating Jerry. Willy beating Megaman, or Forte not being Zero. Bomberman being arrested for carrying bombs. Knuckles being Green.

QuoteWish nintendo would just buy out sega or just merge

liquitek

The title that I have the most time logged with since 2001 is the Halo series and mainly the first 2.  I just played through the Anniversary edition again on legendary.
It's probably my slight ocd that brings me back again and again and again so if Microsoft would like me to buy the next one then I better be able to play Halo on it.