10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

I don't see what's so great about the pce or tg-16

Started by Tatsujin, 09/23/2012, 07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

I've tried repeatedly to get into they, but they just never click for me. They just feel like generic 90's consoles to me.

For those of you that enjoy them, what is it about them you like?   
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

bob

PunkCryborg

i would like pce more if they started porting over cell phone games to it like bejeweled, temple run and angry birds

Tatsujin

Sure they would have been much better choices than those boring bonk games.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

RegalSin

The PCE is an escape from this horrible world of censoring. I hope it stays that way
IMGIMG

Emerald Rocker

Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

RegalSin

In the westworld. To the west, they class videogames as toys. In fact all media in the west, have a censor limit, anything that is registered, to be sold in stores. Imagine a persons brain being censored as well.
Thus when you exposed to certain things, you react differntly towards it.

Like a good example of censorization, is the appearance of skin color.
For years a reasonabl peach, yellows, persian, orange, pink, red or light brownish red, Keep in mind that all skin color is just a differnt shade of brown.

However thanks to the excuse of computer technolgy, when people want to capture skind color and tones, they just take it from a picture.
Their is nothing wrong with that, but then what about those more colorful people?

When I was in college and took an intro animation history class,
we saw a 1950's cartoon. One woman who has an orange complextion,
and  was most likely of African decendancy, said " is that sappose to be a black person or what". You see when an artist makes something, they are not thinking in terms of races, but they are thinking in terms of color, and it is not an mistake, at all.

Nowadays, people ( young adults  ) have no visual exprience towards animation at all, like the way we did with VHS, Beta, or etc media or pop-culture. They can only reference to the computer, ( which is not the best kind of visual exprience, at all ).

Another example is the camera angles used. In the textbook filming and teather is not a universal subject. People from differnt parts of the world are differnt sizes and they have differnt ideas about imagery and framing.
IMGIMG

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

CrackTiger

The controls only hav 2 buttons. If they had 8 like SNES maybe i could play street fighter. Snes wins by default of having most buttons. Also the grafx look 8-bit. I own all the roms and played everything from Energy to F1 Pilot to Wonder Momo. Doesnt look like Secret of Mana 2 or Sonic and Knucklrs. Why doesnt PCE have anything like Mega Bomberman? Bomberman for turbographics only has like 1 stage lol wut?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

420GOAT

for me the colors and music got me. now as an adult the games are the same ...simple and honest.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

RegalSin

it is sexploitation. Their is a huge differnce.

QuoteWhy doesnt PCE have anything like Mega Bomberman? Bomberman for turbographics only has like 1 stage lol wut?
WHy the PCE does not have games like Sonic and knickles? Well because SEGA had 2-3 differnt teams making the stages of the entire game since Sonic 2.

Sonic 2
Sonic 3
S and K

Are all the game exact game. They had over three to four years to work on one game.

Sonic CD had three differnt teams ( one for the future, past, and present stages ) , including teams for the animations intros, and another team for the development for the Direct Sound, Video ( Sonic CD was part of the creation of Direct X ).

Secret Of Mana wented through three transformations, and Squaresoft basically just remade or retold the story of Final Fantasy, in almost ever RPG game they ever made. Square even reuses various enemies for the Playstation,
and even today. Secret originally was a GBA, game. SOMII, was Square trying to revamp the original game into it's own series, and three was that perfected.

Personally I say SOMII was the worst game in the series, while fun and playfull, it was still in the building blocks, while the third and first game were the same exact game but divided the story into three senarios, reintroducing and using the oriignal characters from the first and second game.

The PCE was up against Arcade, NES, Megadrive, and SNES games. It was a 2d console, that audience was Japanese mostly. It was already killed in the USA from the over usage of Halloween, and rainbow games.
It was like they wanted the game system to die. Only a few games in the west was fun. Also without creative support for which the west barely had any on game systems, the PCE/Turbo was a dying fish. it's saving grace
was the import scene, and thank god the CD had no region cock blocking.
IMGIMG

VestCunt

I dont udnertand why they didnt make any good rpgs. snes wins cuase it had ChronoTrigger and FFIII on snes. And earthbound. no good platformers either. nothing like DKC. prolly couldn't even do prerendered graphics.
Topic Adjourned.

RegalSin

Why no RPG?

RPG games have been restricted to lesser systems. Also RPG was also tricky because you wanted to make a great RPG and not just another failure, that was time consuming. People would walk into offices at one time, and suggest idea for RPG and it would get made.

The PCE was made to animate graphics, with full speech. Something that RPGs did not do
usually. The same could be said for the Genesis as well. The NEC-PC series is where the RPGs were at, if not then it was the MSX or NES. Of course people wanted to get that market of children, so they made RPG for the SNES, since it made more colors, and had more freedom then the Mega Drive. Most RPG on the Genesis was SEGA's own series.

The flat fact is that an RPG was for lesser game systems, where tons of kiddies were ready to play. The PCE was a Computer gamer fanboy dream. Most children were playing the SNES, over the PCE. That is why their are soooo many RPG games on the SNES system.

The SNES had

SONY sound
Mode 7 effects,
was not CD, which means no read error, ( as most players were not handy with CD at the time )

Also the creators of the PCE Hu-games were not thinking in terms of the SNES or animated graphics, they were thinking in terms of the NES and NEC PC. So that was a completely differnt market.

During the 1990's NEC-PC failed to appease fans, and thus the attention was towards
the SNES.
IMGIMG

HercTNT

and they shitty music........oh the shitty music. if only the y's series had music like other rpg's it could have held it own...........sigh..........if only

CGQuarterly

I swear to God.  RegalSin fucking ruins every thread on this site.  It would be like having a conversation with a friend in my living room, and having someone walk in and just take a shit in the middle of the floor.

Chris

Tatsujin

VestCunt

Quote from: RegalSin on 09/23/2012, 03:40 PMWhy no RPG?

RPG games have been restricted to lesser systems. Also RPG was also tricky because you wanted to make a great RPG and not just another failure, that was time consuming. People would walk into offices at one time, and suggest idea for RPG and it would get made.

The PCE was made to animate graphics, with full speech. Something that RPGs did not do
usually. The same could be said for the Genesis as well. The NEC-PC series is where the RPGs were at, if not then it was the MSX or NES. Of course people wanted to get that market of children, so they made RPG for the SNES, since it made more colors, and had more freedom then the Mega Drive. Most RPG on the Genesis was SEGA's own series.

The flat fact is that an RPG was for lesser game systems, where tons of kiddies were ready to play. The PCE was a Computer gamer fanboy dream. Most children were playing the SNES, over the PCE. That is why their are soooo many RPG games on the SNES system.

The SNES had

SONY sound
Mode 7 effects,
was not CD, which means no read error, ( as most players were not handy with CD at the time )

Also the creators of the PCE Hu-games were not thinking in terms of the SNES or animated graphics, they were thinking in terms of the NES and NEC PC. So that was a completely differnt market.

During the 1990's NEC-PC failed to appease fans, and thus the attention was towards
the SNES.
yeh but the Snes came first in the 16-bit world. the NEC Duo had more power essentially but the 8-bit processs CPU didn't really undertand the CD technology at the time. Sega could handle the direct sunlight, not the scratches. The Duo black was nice and not ugly thou like nes.

probelm with FF (FINAL FANTASY X) is that is it not even real (WESTERN) RPG Dugneons and Dragon based. i mean customize some characters but no pregens or multiplayer really defeated the purpose.

NEC vs Sony doesn't even make sense. lol. esp from a manufacturer pricepoint, Sony just didn't have the user base back then.

kids today just plays games like zombie katy perry. I dind't even have the picturesd when the cos busted me buts that not what I told.
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

Drakon

I don't ignore his posts I just tend to completely skip over them after reading the first sentence or 15.  What amazes me is how he seems to seriously believe that he knows what he's talking about.

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/24/2012, 12:58 AMI swear to God.  RegalSin fucking ruins every thread on this site.  It would be like having a conversation with a friend in my living room, and having someone walk in and just take a shit in the middle of the floor.

Chris
The pce / tg16 is "hard to get into" because you need to buy extra crap to do things, unless you get a duo, but even with a duo you need a multitap for multiplayer.  The system is too limited in the hucard department except for a couple of games, so you need the cd ability to really appreciate it.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

RegalSin

The PCE was great to get into, but everybody wanted to play Mario and Sonic. It was the kiddies they were gunning for. The PCE is basically no differtn then the X-box. You had a fan of NEC/Microsoft fans and that sums it up. The TG16 was a pain because it looks like an Atari on steriods, even the controller ports are buffed out. Does that make any sense at all? Also everybody was doing the Mario.

QuoteNEC vs Sony doesn't even make sense. lol. esp from a manufacturer pricepoint, Sony just didn't have the user base back then.
NEC and Sony ( along with Hatchi and their waterfall font ), are Japans debut electronic companies. NEC is the biggest as of now, I believe. Sony made the MSX computers, the sound chip in the snes, as well. Nintendo also viewed them as a competitor back the 1980's. While NEC did invest into the HudsonSoft they also made televisions, computes, and various parts.

QuoteIt would be like having a conversation with a friend in my living room, and having someone walk in and just take a shit in the middle of the floor
IMG
IMGIMG

geise

fenix

I've played every system known to man, and grew up during the Nes, Snes years.. Until last year when I found and bought a Turbografx 16 (which I had never heard of) I could not believe how good it was.. I mean for its time the color, sound, etc was Awesome to me. Honestly I like it more than Snes/nes. Plus I think the collecting it part to makes you appreciate it more, because it's pretty hard to find anywhere.. Unlike nes/Snes. That's my opinion though.

RegalSin

I feel more alive with my collection around me. I was thinking of putting all the cart stuff in the garage, area. We were so auwsome back then.

Quote from: geise on 09/24/2012, 11:37 AMRegalSin can eat a regal dick!
And Giese can yuc up chiese.
IMGIMG

CrackTiger

QuoteThe pce / tg16 is "hard to get into" because you need to buy extra crap to do things, unless you get a duo, but even with a duo you need a multitap for multiplayer.  The system is too limited in the hucard department except for a couple of games, so you need the cd ability to really appreciate it.
The Turbo/PCE is only "hard to get into" for casual modern gamers who find all "retro" (<PS2) games hard to get into.

The Genesis has the most hardware variations of any console, too many accessories and no less than six game formats. The whole mess is so convoluted that there literally is not a single possible setup that will play everything (unlike Turbo/PCE).

You only hear Nintendo fanboys complain about that though for Genesis, meanwhile self proclaimed "hardcore" gamers like to use this ridiculous excuse as a cop-out for why they know so little about the PC Engine.

The HuCard library is unbelievably good and you'd practically have to experience them for the first time by casually skipping through a bunch of roms on a flashcart in 2012 to not appreciate them.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

It's hard to get into because it has zero top tier titles; everything on it is but a mere shadow of the 'A' grade games found on other systems.

Quote from: guestFuck off regal no one cares..
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2012, 12:04 PMI own all the roms and played everything from Energy to F1 Pilot to Wonder Momo.
lol i own all the romz 2. did u play that 1 with that guy who jumps and attacks like such a fag/ omg so gay only newfags like turbograpficks

PunkCryborg

I didn't know it was an actual system i thought it was just some indie games on PSN that kind of sucked. Oh well hey anyone wanna play CoD pm me your gamer tag

bob

And it doesn't even play Netflix or pandora

HercTNT

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: RegalSin on 09/24/2012, 07:25 AMDoes that make any sense at all?
"You've made some valid points."

Said nobody,
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

THE ONLY THING TURBO ABOUT THE TURBO GRAPHICXS IS THE SUCK.

TURBO SUCK-16.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

HercTNT

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2012, 04:26 PMTHE ONLY THING TURBO ABOUT THE TURBO GRAPHICXS IS THE SUCK.

TURBO SUCK-16.
And its hand held the Tur-Blow Express!

Drakon

Hucards are such crap they break easily and you have to re-insert them so many times to get them to work.  Also they need cases to be displayed.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Ji-L87

Man, I don't know what's up with all the horrible animu cover arts on the PCE. Just for creeps, that stuff! Now, the TG16 on the other hand had some pretty respectable artworks IMO : |
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Arkhan Asylum

ALL THE TURBO GRAFICX GAMES SUCK BECAUSE HUCARDS ARE SO SMALL THE GOOD GAEMS DONT FIT ON THEM.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Fuck the Turbo.  It can't play cartridge based games.

Mathius

Quote from: geise on 09/26/2012, 11:09 AMIt can't play cartridge based games.
Oh no. Here is comes. *dives under table*

Gogan

Genesis plays cartridges.

The GenesIS what the TurboduWON'T.
Nothin beats the real thing.

Arkhan Asylum

turboswimbz

Turbobobo? graphics?  forget dat I wants 2 play legit rpg action zombie 1st person shooters wit Supa awwesome magik stuffz. I getz all the guns! dat's y I playz the online gamez ohnly yo.  Bro fro reelz.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

HercTNT

Quote from: Gogan on 09/26/2012, 01:30 PMGenesis plays cartridges.

The GenesIS what the TurboduWON'T.
Turbo got blasted and processed!

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: HercTNT on 09/25/2012, 04:55 PMAnd its hand held the Tur-Blow Express!
Umm I'd like to get tur-blowed...discretely of course...

Senshi

PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Tatsujin