RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

gangnam style- Is this the beginning of a Kpop invasion in. the US?

Started by PunkCryborg, 09/26/2012, 12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkCryborg

I just heard this song on the top 40 station. I've been driving my wife nuts with this track for tue past month already when when we heard this playing on the radio it was pretty hilarious. I'm wondering if this will open the doors for more jpop and kpop being played in tue US or if this is a one time deal beacuse the song and video are so ridiculous? I cant believe how many views there are for this video on YT

turbokon

Oh no, not on here now:) My brother is always playing this video on YouTube.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

PunkCryborg

Nando

Kpop has been getting really popular in the past few years. Girls Generation being the first bands that I heard about a couple of years ago.

Gangnam style is in its own class though

JoshTurboTrollX

I heard it on ESPN radio yesterday morning.  Then Mike & Mike talked about the song for a while.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MotherGunner

That song makes me want to vomit.  Only because everyone at my work is playing it.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/26/2012, 04:09 PMI refuse to call that shit 'music'.
Oh, you're such an old fogie!

I suppose you don't like Bieber or ____________ either. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Emerald Rocker

Gangnam Style is great music.  I don't really care if K-pop explodes over here (since it's already popular enough that they're going to keep making it), but it's pretty awesome to see friends really getting into great music like Gangnam Style.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

kazekirifx

I read an article (not online) by a record industry dude and he said that Kpop is not going to break into the U.S. market, and I agree with him. This Gangnam style is just a fad, and Girls Generation just a gimmick in the U.S. Not gonna happen. (But I've been wrong in my predictions before. Me when the iPad was announced: "No one is going to have a use for this. It will never sell.")

FiftyQuid

The video is friggin' hilarious, but the song isn't exactly something I'll be playing around the campfire on an acoustic guitar.  If anyone remembers it a month from now...
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

CPTRAVE

I think its nice to hear something different, atleast its not a depressing song.

Bernie

Ji-L87

The song is not great, but I've heard worse. Far worse. The music video is entertaining and I don't mind if people listen to this for a while instead of some other stuff I care even less about :)

But invasion? Probably not, sadly.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

PunkCryborg

I would out this on the same level as LMFAO. I dont like this style of music but i listened to tons of Jpop back inthe day so to hear something like this on he radio is awesome!

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

bartre

I'm just glad that there's something other than nickelback and bieber on the radio around me.
It's nice to hear something fun and not 100% retarded.

RegalSin

......to everybody is sounds like some sorta islander thing, but nobody can hear or understand the words at all. The music videos are all 1990's rehashed MTV videos, as well. It is done by some sorta Korean company ( like how Nintendo makes videogames, or Dragon Comics makes Dragon Ball, Or how citywok is run by some sorta Chiense fellow who lives in Southpark ).

Think of it like if we ran a comic book company, and Naruto or FullMetal Alcamist was super popular, that we decided to sell it to shopaholic Americans. Same crap but this time they got the numbers for the youtube video ( or whatever video website that people below 25 ).

Seriously if look at what they are selling to people in their 30's ( this company ) and so forth.
Korea is more or less like America ( because America ownz Korea basically ), and because Korea is being seen as a second Japan, ( you know how they have culture exchange festivals ( that is what they like to call it, since 2002 ), and Koreans are basically no differnt then Hong kongers, making famicom clones in a sense. They are taking advantage of the lack of knwoledge. It like how people think Kawaiii is a cool word since 2010 or 2004.

Korea = bootlegg = legalized = Western front = meh.

I have nothing against Korea, but seriously, every other undeveloped nation think they are
Nihongo because they have wirelress...........wireless luck/magic increase by coating it with gold,.............no no no wait earth.

I hate that damn song, I hate it, but anyhow, stupid is as stupid does.
IMGIMG

Emerald Rocker

Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

kazekirifx

Quote from: RegalSin on 10/01/2012, 12:32 AMKorea is more or less like America
Quote from: RegalSin on 10/01/2012, 12:32 AMSeriously for the record, Korea is just another version of China.
I love how both those statements are in the same post.
This has hardly anything to do with music or Gangnam style after the first line or so.

RegalSin

To edit this short.

In Korea a football player, grewed up their. He mentioned they were racsit and negative towards him, while growing up their. On Assemblergames ( way back ) a gamer who visited Korea, worked as a teacher, he said the whole thing was a sham, and the prinicipal even cursed him out on the phone drunk. The private school was in an Alleyway as well. The owners of the school made him dress up in a costume and dance on stage, the video is up. Also the owners of the school made a film derogatory film about westerners comming after their young daughters,
where the actor looks simular to teachers features. One of my proffessors works in Korea, and she is over 70 years old ( but has the body of model ), she says she knows only one word in Korea. Candy Madison ( I believe a former 70's B-girl ( back when b-girls were all the rage like AV models ) and dated Elivis, is a famouse synthisizer player/queen/doll etc that is wordly known, guess where she lives????? Janet Jackson fans are mostly located in Korea and so forth.
IMGIMG

bob

God I hope your soapbox collapses soon

Please, as hard as this may be, in one cohesive line, please answer me...why do you bother around here?  Really, all your bullshit aside, off the cuff, just answer. Now I know you want to go and drum up some stooooopid response about how our government surpresses Tibet and you are the voice of reason when girls in Bolivia don't get proper education. (see, anybody can do it). Just tell us WHY you have to inject moroniscism into every thread

RegalSin

Well that is just how I feel about the subject. I have been hearing gangnam style every single time, for the past year. It is driving me insane, It is like the Macarina but nobody even, knows what the hell they are saying.

Whatever, I will just edit the darn thing to one paragraph. Just yesterday they were playing it in the super markets. Come on, seriously..........have you seen their fictional works, you know how censored we have become since 2001.

Have  you seen the dance???????? They barely move their body at all, You wanna Korean style. Go see Kill Bill part one, where they are dancing.

QuoteGod I hope your soapbox collapses soon
RegalSin is forever, Regalsin will never die
IMGIMG

termis

Quote from: RegalSin on 10/01/2012, 10:45 AM...I have been hearing gangnam style every single time, for the past year...
I somehow don't doubt this - especially when the song's been released for a couple months.  The things Regal hears in his head...  :lol:

RegalSin

It was released earlier in Korea, and videos of the companies various performers have been out. It was only released in the west recently. I hate the west, trying to make money off everything. Remember the preacher who predicted the end of the world.
IMGIMG

nectarsis

Quote from: RegalSin on 10/01/2012, 12:29 PMIt was released earlier in Korea, and videos of the companies various performers have been out. It was only released in the west recently. I hate the west, trying to make money off everything. Remember the preacher who predicted the end of the world.
Nope released in June (IIRC) even in Korea...try again

EDIT: make that July... about 2 1/2 months ago
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Nando

Ji-L87

CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

RegalSin

OKay Ganon style works for me..........Tingle with his speedo, looking like Cheek ( Cheek and Chong )......

HA HA HA HA HA OMGsh....................  I do it Ganon style. HA HA HA HA HA

Quote from: nectarsis on 10/01/2012, 01:35 PM
Quote from: RegalSin on 10/01/2012, 12:29 PMIt was released earlier in Korea, and videos of the companies various performers have been out. It was only released in the west recently. I hate the west, trying to make money off everything. Remember the preacher who predicted the end of the world.
Nope released in June (IIRC) even in Korea...try again

EDIT: make that July... about 2 1/2 months ago
I have been hearing this crap for over a year. uhmmmmmmmmmmmm seriously a song about a type of man.

Back in the hole everybody..............Back in the 1990's people smoked hesh to make it go by quicker.
IMGIMG

Drakon

https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

kazekirifx

Quote from: RegalSin on 10/01/2012, 10:45 AMWell that is just how I feel about the subject.
What subject? What does racism against foreigners in Korea have to do with Gangnam style? You just went off about whatever negative stuff you had to say about Korea.

RegalSin

Well, people are listening to this stuff, without any knowledge of what they are listening to. I just feel man this one just takes the cake, in stupidity. Seriously, this is worst then Penut Butter Jelly Time, much worst.  It is a song about some guy, and how his style is. Sooner or later the guy who the song is about is going to finally come out of the shadows.

My problem is that it is Korea. Korea comics are not Japanese comics at all, but they sell as Japanese comics. Korea videogames are no differnt then Hong Kong knock offs but they sell, as
big time productions, and is censored for a US audience. Korean animation is no differnt then animation in the west, but it is Asians, without the west. It just seems that they are mimicing Japan, and are having an easier time of it because they are Asian.

In the USA their is a plauge of Asianess. From us who grew up with videogames, to food being priced lesser and fat people being classed as cancerous. Walk and do not walk sign are not even in english anymore ( one of the few simple things we learn when young ). They even have exchange of law, and schooling practice. It just seems that everything is bent towards Asianess. Maybe because USA owes alot of money to China and other nations in the East.
Maybe because we have been programming people to be anti-society with Asainess. Like how Englsh people at one point thought French people were cool, sexy, life-giving but I am talking about pop-culture.

Korea is just another China, but over the years they have been advertising themsleves as another Japan. It is like thining the heard of actual citizens. Like take me for instance, you can read all of my wonderfull posts, and see why I am so famous. I am like the Aliens in Project A-ko, and while I am on Earth, I too have the urge to be with my own kind.
IMGIMG

bob

FiftyQuid

You know, I had never watched the video until this thread was created.  I wasn't oblivious to the song, but now I can't get the damn thing out of my head.  I love the part in the video where the two models are standing on either side of him getting stuff blown in their faces.  Like they're not use to that happening.  :shock: ZINGGGGGG!   :lol:
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

PunkCryborg

Nando

termis

Forger the no eyebrow girl (okay, she's alright too...) but I thought the dancer on the left at 2:54 was the sexiest chick I've seen in a long time.

nectarsis

Quote from: RegalSin on 10/02/2012, 01:58 AMWell, people are listening to this stuff, without any knowledge of what they are listening to.   

It is a song about some guy, and how his style is.
Stupidity meet irony....
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

420GOAT

I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

RegalSin

That rag has make up and all kinds of stuff done to her. Also the red hair look is the most common in Japan and more recent in East Asia, Every gal seems to think they are O2 from Evangelion. A tight arse bitch who needs to be put into her place ( which happens in time towards the end of the series ).
IMGIMG

kazekirifx

You're right, RegalSin. Gangnam Style is just a plot by the Korean government to infuse the U.S. with Asianness... which is really all just stuff ripped off from China and Japan anyway. They will give young Americans anti-society ideas.

After all, every Asian woman is really just trying to be Priss from Bubblegum Crisis (or some other character from an old anime)... and the Koreans are trying to convince us that anime is Korean, and that HK games are Korean. They are even trying to convince the world that the Liancourt Rocks are Korean. All of this stinks of some evil plot somehow.

Drakon

I think the only "tight arse b#tch who needs to be put into her place" is Regalsin.

Quote from: RegalSin on 10/02/2012, 10:37 PMThat rag has make up and all kinds of stuff done to her. Also the red hair look is the most common in Japan and more recent in East Asia, Every gal seems to think they are O2 from Evangelion. A tight arse bitch who needs to be put into her place ( which happens in time towards the end of the series ).

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

PunkCryborg

Ji-L87

I head Gangnam-style in the wild for the first time yesterday. It was blasted on the radio from a car, belonging to some workers doing house restorations. I almost wanted to try and do the dance as I walked past. :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!

Joe Redifer

I only heard this song for the first time on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago.  Regarding the title of the thread I don't think one popular song could be considered a "Kpop invasion".

Deletion

Sounds like you guys could use more eye candy with your Gangnam Style...

Nando

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/03/2012, 08:47 PMI only heard this song for the first time on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago.  Regarding the title of the thread I don't think one popular song could be considered a "Kpop invasion".
eh they'll probably get mistaken by Japanese by the mass media anyway ;)

Those kpop chicks can invade my pole any day though...mmhmmm... :mrgreen:

Drakon

Deletion