Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?

Started by tpivette, 10/03/2012, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

Ever since I saw the Turbo Duo promo VHS tape back in the day that showcased this game, I've wanted to play it. I had the first one when I was younger (and I still have my original from way back then), and loved it. Figured the sequel on a SCD format, had to kick just as much ass if not exceed the first. Fast forward 20 years and, while I have the disposable income to make the purchase, theres no way in HELL I'm shelling out hundreds of dollars for it. Nope, uh-uh, not gonna happen. So I did what any true fan of the game/series would do... made a $20 offer to Hit-Japan, he accepted, the game was mine.

So, my question is this... having never played the game myself, how do those who have, rate it? How does it stack up to the original? Any suggestions or tips for certain points in the game where I may become stuck (while not giving everything away completely)?

It'll be arriving probably by the beginning of next week... cant wait to pop it in the Duo R and finally get to enjoy this game!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

ehh.  I kinda did the exact same thing last year.  I got a copy from Hit as well.  I cant get past the language barrier though, seeing as the story to me plays a HUGE part in a game.  So, I got lucky on eBay and bought one.  Now, IF you arent as anal as I am, then you should be fine.  The game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Bernie on 10/03/2012, 05:47 PMehh.  I kinda did the exact same thing last year.  I got a copy from Hit as well.  I cant get past the language barrier though, seeing as the story to me plays a HUGE part in a game.  So, I got lucky on eBay and bought one.  Now, IF you arent as anal as I am, then you should be fine.  The game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)
Don't forget better music!

Anyway, here is my feels:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12498.msg244377#msg244377
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Bardoly

I was able to pick up an English-version one recently for a high-but-not-ungodly-price, and although I haven't been able to get some friends together to play it yet, playing it on one player so far has been pretty fun.  (It seems that this game may be one of the top 3 (if not the best) of the higher-priced Turbo CD games, so you might want to just keep your eBay alerts set for it and see if it comes across for a more livable price.  Ironically, I had decided to try out the Japanese version, and so I bought one for $16 shipped, and then right afterwards, I was able to get the U.S. version (and due to shipping times, I received the U.S. version 10 days before I received the Japanese one).  I haven't even tried out the Japanese version yet, so maybe I'll pop it in tonight and then give you my thoughts.

tpivette

I was kind of on the fence about purchasing the US version of this game a few months ago when they were going for around $150ish... but now it seems as though the last few copies that sold on ebay went for $300+! No freaking way am I paying that! Too bad I didnt see the $90 BIN auction a few months back.

I also bought Neutopia 2 from Hit-Japan for $13. I just saw an auction on ebay end for the US version at just over $80! Its absolutely insane what some of the US releases are going for these days. I just cant pay that much for some of these games when the Japanese versions go for pennies on the dollar by comparison.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

DildoKKKobold

Oh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

And, I also bought this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360491726188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Can't wait to play it!
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Bardoly

Quote from: tpivette on 10/03/2012, 05:58 PMI was kind of on the fence about purchasing the US version of this game a few months ago when they were going for around $150ish... but now it seems as though the last few copies that sold on ebay went for $300+! No freaking way am I paying that! Too bad I didnt see the $90 BIN auction a few months back.

I also bought Neutopia 2 from Hit-Japan for $13. I just saw an auction on ebay end for the US version at just over $80! Its absolutely insane what some of the US releases are going for these days. I just cant pay that much for some of these games when the Japanese versions go for pennies on the dollar by comparison.
I know what you mean.  Even though I speak Chinese, it doesn't help me very much with Japanese, so I've always highly preferred getting U.S. versions of video games.  (I have 35+ English-translated SNES repro cartridges because of this.)  At least Neutopia 2 is a pretty good game, so if you did end up paying $40-80 for it, at least you could feel that you actually got something for your money.  (And just think of the $60 current-generation shovelware game that you'd be giving up for it!   :roll:  )  When it comes to this cheap PC Engine versus expensive TurboGrafix-16 thing, though, I'll probably have to go with the flow on some of these.  i.e. I've picked up a PC Engine Magical Chase, because I highly doubt that I'll ever have a chance at a TG-16 version.   :(    Fortunately, I have been able to get several of the higher-priced TG-16 games for fairly reasonable prices, so we'll just have to see about the others.

NecroPhile

Part II is everything great found in the original turned up to eleven, with a much larger world, side quests, nice cut scenes, and more unlockable characters (including a robot!).  No library is complete without a copy of this one.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 06:04 PMOh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360491726188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Can't wait to play it!
I literally just discovered Crystal Beans: From Dungeon Explorer a few days ago, and I've been looking for it, to no avail so far.
There is an English translation of this game which is in the final stages of being finished, and after is is released, I hope to get one of my SNES repro cart makers to make me a cart with the English patch.   8)    Let me know how you like it after you get it and have tried it out.

csgx1

Similar situation for me too.  I always wanted to get this game but could never afford it or find one reasonably priced.  Now prices are ridiculously high and I don't plan on paying the price.   I've been thinking of buying the Jp version as well. 

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 06:12 PMPart II is everything great found in the original turned up to eleven, with a much larger world, side quests, nice cut scenes, and more unlockable characters (including a robot!).  No library is complete without a copy of this one.  :mrgreen:
Well, when you describe DE2 that way, it explains all these crazies on ebay willing to throw down $300+ for a copy. ](*,)

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: csgx1 on 10/03/2012, 06:24 PMSimilar situation for me too.  I always wanted to get this game but could never afford it or find one reasonably priced.  Now prices are ridiculously high and I don't plan on paying the price.   I've been thinking of buying the Jp version as well. 

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 06:12 PMPart II is everything great found in the original turned up to eleven, with a much larger world, side quests, nice cut scenes, and more unlockable characters (including a robot!).  No library is complete without a copy of this one.  :mrgreen:
Well, when you describe DE2 that way, it explains all these crazies on ebay willing to throw down $300+ for a copy. ](*,)
Nothing explains why its $300 now. I got the PCE version here for under $20 and there is definitely a lot more of those than the U.S version. I still want the U.S version, but I'm not paying over $100 for it and its one of those games that someone should bootleg like Sapphire to give these gougers a run for their money.

Bernie

I feel its worth 200 at the most.  More if you are willing, but 200 seems to be the highest I would go right now.  I paid 130.00 for mine last year, but I really got lucky.  I happened to be online when someone posted a BIN at 130.

Bardoly

Quote from: Bernie on 10/03/2012, 09:12 PMI feel its worth 200 at the most.  More if you are willing, but 200 seems to be the highest I would go right now.  I paid 130.00 for mine last year, but I really got lucky.  I happened to be online when someone posted a BIN at 130. 
I pretty much agree with Bernie's assessment of the DE2 pricing situation.

TheClash603

I will continue to be the only guy on these forums that doesn't like either of these games it seems.

I would rather play Gauntlet, because the "RPG" aspect of this game is out of place and not fun.  I have had people over to try to play, we always get sick of both games rather quickly.  I don't get it...

MotherGunner

Wow, I paid $70 for DE II US from Ebay in 2007 and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

TheClash603

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/03/2012, 09:52 PMWow, I paid $70 for DE II US from Ebay in 2007 and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. 
The game routinely sold for $100ish until about 3 months ago.

tpivette

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/03/2012, 09:52 PMWow, I paid $70 for DE II US from Ebay in 2007 and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. 
Yep, welcome to 2012... where real estate is worth 30% less, and DE2 is selling for 300% more!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Bardoly

Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/03/2012, 09:45 PMI will continue to be the only guy on these forums that doesn't like either of these games it seems.

I would rather play Gauntlet, because the "RPG" aspect of this game is out of place and not fun.  I have had people over to try to play, we always get sick of both games rather quickly.  I don't get it...
I've only played either one just a bit, and I really enjoyed both, but maybe they're kind of better for 2-3 players who are really focused on the game rather than on 4-5 players of which some don't really enjoy the genre but were 'drafted' into playing just to fill in the slots?  I wonder how long either game should actually last?  Maybe one or the other would be a good game for some Turbo enthusiasts to play at the upcoming Octurbofest in Chicago.  I'm planning on attending, and I'm hoping to get in on some multi-player Turbo fun there.

CrackTiger

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 10/03/2012, 05:57 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 10/03/2012, 05:47 PMThe game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)
You'll find that most people around here disagree.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Sadler

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 10:21 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 05:57 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 10/03/2012, 05:47 PMThe game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)
Don't count me in that bunch! DE2 has some of the very best music on the system.

No idea if these track titles are accurate:

Dark Maze
Karn's Cave
Ancient Ruins of Hyvoris 2

VestCunt

I like DE2 as a one-player game or two-player with my brother, but the super long, unskippable intro + bad acting + early CD load times + swapping slots with the Tennokoe bank have killed every multiplayer attempt to date.
Topic Adjourned.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Sadler on 10/03/2012, 11:01 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/03/2012, 10:21 PM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 10/03/2012, 05:57 PM
Don't count me in that bunch! DE2 has some of the very best music on the system.

No idea if these track titles are accurate:

Dark Maze
Karn's Cave
Ancient Ruins of Hyvoris 2
My favorite -

Boss Theme 1

I'm sad that only the first two bosses have it, and then it is back to the bland DE1 boss music, for at least a few fights.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

chany60126

Quote from: Bardoly on 10/03/2012, 10:07 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/03/2012, 09:45 PMI will continue to be the only guy on these forums that doesn't like either of these games it seems.

I've only played either one just a bit, and I really enjoyed both, but maybe they're kind of better for 2-3 players who are really focused on the game rather than on 4-5 players of which some don't really enjoy the genre but were 'drafted' into playing just to fill in the slots?  I wonder how long either game should actually last?  Maybe one or the other would be a good game for some Turbo enthusiasts to play at the upcoming Octurbofest in Chicago.  I'm planning on attending, and I'm hoping to get in on some multi-player Turbo fun there.
Glad to hear you're coming to the fest. We should definitely try to get a multiplayer game going on either game. I've played through both games single player. If I recall correctly in the first game, there is an arena behind the bar or in one of the castles where players can face each other in a battle royale. I've never tried it out though.

bartre

personally, i would almost say that i dislike DE I.
however, DE II i've almost beaten, and i really enjoy.
i guess it's just a little bit more refined, and perhaps a little more forgiving.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 10:21 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 05:57 PM
I would be part of that crowd. As much as I like DEII's tunes, DE1's soundtrack is special. DE1's tunes are greater than the sum of its parts.

Quote from: chany60126 on 10/04/2012, 12:44 AM
Quote from: Bardoly on 10/03/2012, 10:07 PM

Glad to hear you're coming to the fest. We should definitely try to get a multiplayer game going on either game. I've played through both games single player. If I recall correctly in the first game, there is an arena behind the bar or in one of the castles where players can face each other in a battle royale. I've never tried it out though.
I have always wanted to do a big multiplayer mayhem with DE1. :)

ParanoiaDragon

I absolutely love DE 2 & the tunes.  It's nice to hear redbook versions of some of my favorite tunes from DE 1.  That's not to say they replace them, DE 1's music is awesome, & one of my favorites on the Turbo, regardless of chip or cd.  Also....I never noticed any bad acting, it's not perfect, but, it's not Valis 3, Final Zone 2, Last Alert, etc.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/04/2012, 08:33 PMI absolutely love DE 2 & the tunes.  It's nice to hear redbook versions of some of my favorite tunes from DE 1.  That's not to say they replace them, DE 1's music is awesome, & one of my favorites on the Turbo, regardless of chip or cd.  Also....I never noticed any bad acting, it's not perfect, but, it's not Valis 3, Final Zone 2, Last Alert, etc.
Yeah, just because the shared tunes on The origonal DE are better, it doesn't change the fact that DEII has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Even though I like it the least of the three, Crystal Beans also has killer music.

DEII has Working Designs acting. It is good or bad depending on how you feel about WD dubbing.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

It may just be me, but I don't quite understand why some gamers say, "Since this game is on CD the music is much better!" Or something to that effect. In my eyes a game can have better tunes either way. It all comes down to composition, creating atmosphere, and the tools programers/musicians use to create their game soundtracks. DE1's chiptunes blow me away every time, but so does Gate of Thunder's red book.

Nobody here has stated anything like that. I just thought this would be a good place and time to vent about this hehe.  8-[

MotherGunner

I second what Mati says.  I was just playing Legendary Axe 2 the other night and even the wife commented on how epic the music was.  DE Chip tunes are the tits and so are DE II's.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 10/04/2012, 09:01 PMIt may just be me, but I don't quite understand why some gamers say, "Since this game is on CD the music is much better!" Or something to that effect. In my eyes a game can have better tunes either way. It all comes down to composition, creating atmosphere, and the tools programers/musicians use to create their game soundtracks. DE1's chiptunes blow me away every time, but so does Gate of Thunder's red book.

Nobody here has stated anything like that. I just thought this would be a good place and time to vent about this hehe.  8-[
This used to he the consensus around here. Some of the many newer members seem to have varying opinions.

Obfuscate

Both are 10/10 in the music department. Both are top 10 games for the system. Saying that DE2 is better IMO.

JoshTurboTrollX

I played both of them around the same time.  I had played through DEII before really investing alot of time in DE 1.  They both rock for sure, and for the value, I'd say DE 1 is the better deal.

I personally won't ever pay more than $60+ for a video game ever again, so the idea that I would drop $200+ on it sounds nutty.  I paid buy 2 get 1 free back in the day on TZD for $49.99 each once along with two other games.  And now I just play my import copy I snagged for $10 on the bay and I'm totally fine with it.  If I'm ever in a bind language wise, I can just flip it over to my xbox w/ my ISO of DEII (USA) and put my password in to load up my guy to talk to people in English.  :D

I love the password/save feature found in Dungeon Explorer!!

If I had to 'rate' the games, I'd say DE2 is the best followed by DE1 then Crystal beans (SNES) and DE3 (yes 3) comes up somewhere in the back for the Sega CD.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2012, 08:38 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/04/2012, 08:33 PMI absolutely love DE 2 & the tunes.  It's nice to hear redbook versions of some of my favorite tunes from DE 1.  That's not to say they replace them, DE 1's music is awesome, & one of my favorites on the Turbo, regardless of chip or cd.  Also....I never noticed any bad acting, it's not perfect, but, it's not Valis 3, Final Zone 2, Last Alert, etc.
Yeah, just because the shared tunes on The origonal DE are better, it doesn't change the fact that DEII has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Even though I like it the least of the three, Crystal Beans also has killer music.
Yes, I've really enjoyed the SFC tunes for Crystal Beans (and Ys III) thanks to my phone. Prior to that, I the only time I'd listen to most SFC tunes is when I was actually playing them!

Also, after buying a bunch of arcade soundtracks over the past decade or so, I realized that I enjoyed the NES versions/arrangements of some tunes better than the original music pumped out on arcade hardware.

Iron Tank (SNK) is but one example...

BACK ON TOPIC: I am grateful that we have both original and Red Book versions of DE tunes. Too bad we never got a chance to hear Red Book versions of other classic PCE HuCards like Legendary Axe. I'll have to convince Paranoia Dragon to do this one of these days. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 10/06/2012, 12:55 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/04/2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, I've really enjoyed the SFC tunes for Crystal Beans (and Ys III) thanks to my phone. Prior to that, I the only time I'd listen to most SFC tunes is when I was actually playing them!

Also, after buying a bunch of arcade soundtracks over the past decade or so, I realized that I enjoyed the NES versions/arrangements of some tunes better than the original music pumped out on arcade hardware.

Iron Tank (SNK) is but one example...

BACK ON TOPIC: I am grateful that we have both original and Red Book versions of DE tunes. Too bad we never got a chance to hear Red Book versions of other classic PCE HuCards like Legendary Axe. I'll have to convince Paranoia Dragon to do this one of these days. :pcgs:
One of the many things that I love about Kabukiden is that aside from it having a full game's worth of redbook music and a full game's worth of chip tunes, there are both redbook and chip renditions of the main character themes.

Mathius

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/05/2012, 03:29 PMI played both of them around the same time.  I had played through DEII before really investing alot of time in DE 1.  They both rock for sure, and for the value, I'd say DE 1 is the better deal.

I personally won't ever pay more than $60+ for a video game ever again, so the idea that I would drop $200+ on it sounds nutty.  I paid buy 2 get 1 free back in the day on TZD for $49.99 each once along with two other games.  And now I just play my import copy I snagged for $10 on the bay and I'm totally fine with it.  If I'm ever in a bind language wise, I can just flip it over to my xbox w/ my ISO of DEII (USA) and put my password in to load up my guy to talk to people in English.  :D

If I had to 'rate' the games, I'd say DE2 is the best followed by DE1 then Crystal beans (SNES) and DE3 (yes 3) comes up somewhere in the back for the Sega CD.
I have tried (TRIED!) to like Dungeon Explorer on the SEGA CD. The game has nice music (the Turbo Tunes are better though), but the game itself is frustrating and unfair. The dungeons are way too maze-like, the food system is annoying, and thanks to the huge dungeons the penalty for death is too severe. If you aren't playing the game with a friend to even out the odds then you don't have a prayer.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/06/2012, 02:29 PMOne of the many things that I love about Kabukiden is that aside from it having a full game's worth of redbook music and a full game's worth of chip tunes, there are both redbook and chip renditions of the main character themes.
That is the best case scenario. Kabukiden is so chock-full o' love that, ironically, it crushes other games mercilessly.

I didn't know how much was packed into Kabukiden; I have an even greater appreciation of it now. :pcgs:

Quote from: Mathius on 10/06/2012, 08:41 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/05/2012, 03:29 PMI played both of them around the same time.  I had played through DEII before really investing alot of time in DE 1.  They both rock for sure, and for the value, I'd say DE 1 is the better deal.

I personally won't ever pay more than $60+ for a video game ever again, so the idea that I would drop $200+ on it sounds nutty.  I paid buy 2 get 1 free back in the day on TZD for $49.99 each once along with two other games.  And now I just play my import copy I snagged for $10 on the bay and I'm totally fine with it.  If I'm ever in a bind language wise, I can just flip it over to my xbox w/ my ISO of DEII (USA) and put my password in to load up my guy to talk to people in English.  :D

I have tried (TRIED!) to like Dungeon Explorer on the SEGA CD. The game has nice music (the Turbo Tunes are better though), but the game itself is frustrating and unfair. The dungeons are way too maze-like, the food system is annoying, and thanks to the huge dungeons the penalty for death is too severe. If you aren't playing the game with a friend to even out the odds then you don't have a prayer.
I haven't really spent much time with DE on SegaCD (I spent more time playing Wonderdog--hah!).

However, I have spent more time listening to the soundtrack (it's completely instrumental/orchestral IIRC). It's OK, but, like most orchestral soundtracks, it fails to evoke much passion in my cold heart. I need catchy melodies or pop-song sensibilities to stir up some emotions.

VERDICT: The soundtrack is fine. I'm just finicky and biased. As for the game? Yo no se.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bardoly

Quote from: Bardoly on 10/03/2012, 06:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/03/2012, 06:04 PMOh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

Can't wait to play it!
I literally just discovered Crystal Beans: From Dungeon Explorer a few days ago, and I've been looking for it, to no avail so far.
There is an English translation of this game which is in the final stages of being finished, and after is is released, I hope to get one of my SNES repro cart makers to make me a cart with the English patch.   8)    Let me know how you like it after you get it and have tried it out.
@DarkKobold,
So, did you ever get a chance to play Crystal Beans yet?  If so, then I want to hear your thoughts about the game and your opinion on how easy (or difficult) it is to play in Japanese

Obfuscate

IMO if you have the money get the English version, this is one of the few big buck games that are worth it. It's easily one of the best games for the system. I have played through it many times, unlocked everything and still go back for more. Also, if for some crazy reason you're not as impressed, you can always sell it and get your money back. I would have to be pretty desperate to do so with my copy.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Bardoly on 01/07/2013, 01:36 AM
Quote from: Bardoly on 10/03/2012, 06:18 PM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 10/03/2012, 06:04 PMOh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

Can't wait to play it!
@DarkKobold,
So, did you ever get a chance to play Crystal Beans yet?  If so, then I want to hear your thoughts about the game and your opinion on how easy (or difficult) it is to play in Japanese
I did a short review here -

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4765.msg264106#msg264106

You definitely need a FAQ to play through. Due to a glitch, you have to talk to one person twice in a row. Given that it is in Japanese, you'd never make it through without going crazy. Also, it helps to have the FAQ for knowing who to talk to to open the next dungeon.

Also, some of the bosses are in totally nonsensical places, like the one shown in esteban's picture. The worst offense is against the Vampire boss, whose Piano doesn't disappear, making the battle ridiculously more difficult than it needs to be.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

fraggore

i like the game fun to play finished 3 times but i still like the first one more.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

CPTRAVE

SignOfZeta

I had this game back in the day, it was fun for a while but in the end I massively prefer Gauntlet. No question whatsoever.

As for the price...people want to be hard core owners of high priced games more than they want actual games. If that means paying $300 for a Turbo game that isn't even that rare, they'll do it. Expect Lords of Thunder to be $100 in a year despite it being, I think, the most common SCD except for maybe the GoT 3-in-1.

As for the language barrier on a JP copy, I'm not sure there is much of one. IIRC the story is pretty much tacked on to the game that could exist just fine without it. I assume menu items are mostly, if not completely, in kana. It shouldn't be that hard to play for gaijin.
IMG

SMF

I don't have a problem paying over $100 for a game........THAT'S GOOD AND HAS AN EPIC STORY DE2 WORTH EVERY PENNY. Look what people pay for games nowadays and they are not as epic as DE2 is.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch