@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Tube TV recommendation?

Started by jasonbar, 12/30/2012, 10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonbar

Howdy-

I'm looking to pick up a used tube TV, probably 21" in size (not too small but not too heavy to lug upstairs & put in a small bedroom). It needs to have an S-video input, as pretty much all of my consoles are modded for S-video. Stereo inputs & speakers are also required.

Is there any recommendation or standard for a good gaming TV to fit my needs? (For 2600, A8, INTV, TG Duo, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Gen, Saturn, DC, 3DO, PS1, & PS2).

Thanks,
-Jason

PS--I'm in Los Angeles, in case anybody local has one for sale/trade.

PCEngineHell

Check CL for a Toshiba or Sony, or even a Apex tv. Not any particular model I can think of that stands out. Sometimes it's just best to take a small game system with you when you go to check the tv set out and see what you think in person.

CGQuarterly

I would try to get a Sony Trinitron.  If its going to be for gaming only, keep an eye on Craigslist for a Sony PVM.  Some of them accept composite, s-video, and analog RGB.  Otherwise, look for a Trinitron consumer TV.

Chris

EDIT:  I just noticed that you're in L.A.  You should have no trouble finding a cheap Sony PVM or BVM.

EDIT 2: Here you go.  20 inches, composite, s-video, RGB, $50.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/3486377467.html

SignOfZeta

Sony, pretty much. JVC is also good. If you can get a PVM from either company you'll be set.
IMG

MrFlutterPie

+1 for the Sony Trinitron.

I run a late model 36" that is great.

bob

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 12/30/2012, 11:48 PMI would try to get a Sony Trinitron.  If its going to be for gaming only, keep an eye on Craigslist for a Sony PVM.  Some of them accept composite, s-video, and analog RGB.  Otherwise, look for a Trinitron consumer TV.

Chris

EDIT:  I just noticed that you're in L.A.  You should have no trouble finding a cheap Sony PVM or BVM.

EDIT 2: Here you go.  20 inches, composite, s-video, RGB, $50.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/3486377467.html
This.  Jibs hit the slut in the mouth right here.
I can't say enough good things about the tube trinitrons. Sharp picture and usually plenty of inputs.

majors

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 12/30/2012, 11:48 PM...keep an eye on Craigslist for a Sony PVM. 
Arn't most PVMs mono? All four of mine are, so if stereo is a deal breaker for Jason, be warned. Pic quality is second to none! For larger +21" screens, I'd third a Sony Trinitron.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

PunkCryborg

PVM 2030 and 2530 have attachable stereo speakers with a built in amp and terminals on the back. Hard finding one with the speakers but if you do it's like the ultimate gaming set up

CGQuarterly

Quote from: majors on 01/01/2013, 11:41 AM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 12/30/2012, 11:48 PM...keep an eye on Craigslist for a Sony PVM. 
Arn't most PVMs mono? All four of mine are, so if stereo is a deal breaker for Jason, be warned. Pic quality is second to none! For larger +21" screens, I'd third a Sony Trinitron.
The ones with built-in speakers are mono.  But why would you bathe in the visual glory of RGB but at the same time use the speakers built into the TV?  My Sony BVM doesn't have speakers at all, but I have a pair of those $99 Bose PC speakers sitting on either side of the monitor.  They sound great.

Also, I personally would avoid the 2030 and 2530.  Yeah they have those sweet external speakers, but they are now 25 or so years old.  I've had problems with a couple of them.  Better to look for something built in the 90's or 00's.  They generally have a more robust service menu, anyway.  To calibrate a 2530, you have to take the cover off and tweak some micro pots.  My BVM-20f1u does it all through a service menu and is only about 10 years old.

Chris

Edit: sorry for the grainy-ass pic, but here's my main setup.  The BVM-20f1u is probably the greatest SD RGB monitor that Sony made.  Lots of settings for exact calibration, and it uses module bays in the rear, so that you can add multiple RGB modules so that you have extra inputs.  The Bose speakers are pretty good, and they have 2 inputs.  And they match the monitor nicely, color-wise, not that it matters.

IMG

Keranu

Don't forget to hit up your local thrift stores too. I bought a widescreen Insignia HD CRT TV for 30 smackers a few months ago from one.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

jasonbar

Howdy again-

Thanks for all of the helpful input. I picked up this 20" Sony PVM-20N2U yesterday for $40: http://losangeles.cr...3486377467.html

For sound, I'm going to use a pair of powered PC stereo speakers & attach them to the sides of the case (assuming the tube's case is shielded well enough that the speakers don't distort the picture--if so, I'll move them farther away).

I am finding one small issue, however.

I've tried my S-Video modded 2600 & S-Video modded SMS & 2 different S-Video cables & both of the Y/C (S-Video) inputs & they look swell except for one issue that persists always. I believe that it's called "ghosting." When there are very light pixels to the left of dark (but not black) pixels, then the white pixels cast a bit of a shadow towards the right. Attached pics show 2600 Pitfall. [Darn, I get an error when trying to upload a picture: "Upload folder is full"? I hope that my text description is adequate!]

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

I just ordered some RCA female-to BNC male gold-plated adapters & will try composite & RGB next. (My SMS has both composite & S-Video out, for an easy back-to-back comparison).

Thanks,
-Jason

PCEngineHell

Might need to be recalibrated.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, sounds like convergence.

The only real problem with CRTs is that they need service once in a while.
IMG

CGQuarterly

Just get yourself a calibration DVD and the manual for your monitor.  Hopefully you can do what you need to do through on-screen menus.

Chris

jasonbar

I tried out composite input with my SMS today. The banding that showed with S-Video wasn't there with composite. Good deal. I'll soon have the bits needed to try out RGB. Can't wait!

Thanks,
-Jason

PS--here's a fun thread on the Sony PVM: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?238415-CRT-Fetish-Thread

jasonbar

Added powered speakers, ran all speaker wires inside the monitor case, skinned the case with used Centipede sideart (thanks to Fly from the KLOV forum!), added stereo RCA audio input jacks to the back panel, & am gaming! Still working on getting the RGB to work.

http://s242.beta.photobucket.com/user/infernolab/library/Sony_PVM-20N2U

Thanks,
-Jason

PCEngineHell