OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Turbo/PCE/Genesis/SNES RGB-to-YPbPr/Component Video Chip For Sale!

Started by turbokon, 06/14/2013, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbokon

RGB to Component version 2 boards are ready for sale.   There is also an optional sync stripped board.  The sync stripper circuit is not needed for the turbo and pce systems.  New price is $37 shipped within US and the sync stripper will be optional for another $6.

Some improvement over the previous version:
The signals are more stable (better synch)
higher clarity
better black level
better green purity
more consistent brightness over different sources and displays
higher contrast range (adjustable)
Better ground shielding to protect from interference
Reduce jailbars

I have not updated my website yet, so please pm me for ordering.  Old board is still available with a new price of $27 shipped.

IMG

Below is the information from the original version of the component board.

Finally a rgb to component video converter based on original design by our very own, thesteve, exclusively for use on all NEC turbografx and pc-engine systems.

Confirmed to work for the following system with slight changes in configuration:
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis/Nomad/CDX
Sega Master System
Nintendo 64 with serial number starting with NS1 (Need sync stripper...and luma pin for sync)
Playstation One (similar configuration setup as Sega systems)

$35 shipped within US. Will shipped internationally, please contact me for international shipping price.

You can PM me or go to this website for ordering:

www.tg16pcemods.com

This component video chip will only work on HDTV sets that accept 240P.  Check to make sure your HDTV supports 240p before ordering.

I throw together a quick installation guide here:
mediafire.com/?x7m3oxarr9p74x0
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/downloads/Tg-16_pce_component_mod_guide.pdf

Disclaimer: Jail bars issues varies from system to system especially on the tg-16/pc-e core systems.  It's more noticeable on some system even with the jail bar fix (installation of two caps to hu6260). The jail bars fix seems to work best on the duo's from my experience. Neither the genesis nor the SNES exhibit any jail bars that I can see thus far.

Video's:
PC-Engine Duo Component Installs via din8 socket and custom cable:

Part 1: Installing the din8 socket
Part 2: installing the component vid board
Part 3: Making the custom cable
Some pictures:
IMG

Component Video installed in a Turbo Duo
IMG
IMG
IMG

Installed in a turbografx-cd dock
IMG
IMG

Installed in a PCE IFU
IMG

Installed in a pc-engine
IMG

IMG
IMG

Installed in TE
IMG
IMG

Genesis

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

SNES

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

EvilEvoIX

IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

MrPoppy

Hey y'all, just want to say that it's my Duo in those pictures. :P turbokon installed the component mod on my system and it's working great. Looks really good on my HDTV.  :dance:  His work is highly recommended. I want to post some pictures sometime how it looks on my TV compared to the AV hook-up when I get some time.
Looking for:
US Legendary Axe case and manual
US Ninja Spirit case and manual
US Pac-Land manual

turbokon

Haha, yep those are pictures of MrPoppy's Duo. Thanks for being my first component video mod costumer:)

www.tg16pcemods.com

Keith Courage

I bought some of these and they work great. Just make sure that your TV supports 240P resolution before buying. Some TVs do not.

MrPoppy

No pictures from me yet but I just had both composite and component hooked up at the same time and switched between inputs, the difference really is staggering. Really washed out and blurry image on composite, everything is very bright and crisp on the component. If you're playing your system on an HDTV there's really no other option IMO.
Looking for:
US Legendary Axe case and manual
US Ninja Spirit case and manual
US Pac-Land manual

EvilEvoIX

Can you mod it so it RGB comes out of a SCART lead or the oem av jack and then split to component?  I always disliked the multi RCA jacks on a system.  I like the oem look.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

turbokon

This might work if you want to keep the stock look for a duo. It will need modification for it to fit the pins layout on the duo.

http://bit.ly/10lMBpl

www.tg16pcemods.com

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: turbokon on 06/15/2013, 05:36 PMThis might work if you want to keep the stock look for a duo. It will need modification for it to fit the pins layout on the duo.

http://bit.ly/10lMBpl
Perfect.  Then I can have SCART out or just a custom Component cable?
IMGIMGIMG

Duo_R

Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

EvilEvoIX

I guess I'd just rather have it go out the stock port and open up to component.  I have it hooked up to a 36" Sony Wega Trinitron.  It accepts all signals from 240P to 1080i
IMGIMGIMG

Vecanti

Duo_R

Use the din connector Turbokon linked and have a custom cable made. No reason for a scart cable.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/15/2013, 09:17 PMI guess I'd just rather have it go out the stock port and open up to component.  I have it hooked up to a 36" Sony Wega Trinitron.  It accepts all signals from 240P to 1080i

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Duo_R on 06/15/2013, 09:32 PMUse the din connector Turbokon linked and have a custom cable made. No reason for a scart cable.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/15/2013, 09:17 PMI guess I'd just rather have it go out the stock port and open up to component.  I have it hooked up to a 36" Sony Wega Trinitron.  It accepts all signals from 240P to 1080i
Sounds good.
IMGIMGIMG

Duo_R

turbokon

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/15/2013, 09:43 PM
Quote from: Duo_R on 06/15/2013, 09:32 PMUse the din connector Turbokon linked and have a custom cable made. No reason for a scart cable.

Sounds good.
I will use the din-8  and modified cable for the next duo I'll do a component mod on.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: turbokon on 06/15/2013, 11:54 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/15/2013, 09:43 PM

Sounds good.
That's great maybe ill be your next mod.
IMGIMGIMG

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

Duo_R

Have you tried this in a Turbo Express? Is battery life still good?

turbokon

Nope I haven't tried it on a turbo express. You can be the first:)

www.tg16pcemods.com

GohanX

turbokon

I haven't install one in a tg16 dock yet neither. Duo-R shouldn't be any different then a duo.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Capitalistix

I might be interested in ordering one of these. How would one go about doing this mod on a dock? Ive never opened one up before. Is there a big board inside there with RGB lines? I always kinda thought it just grabbed composit out of the back of the TG and spat it out the A/V jacks.

turbokon

You just tap into the dock's receiving expansion bus pins corresponding to the rgb & sync, pins 23A (red), 23B (green), 23C (blue) and 22C (sync). I will install one in my turbografx dock this weekend and add to the installation guide I already have.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Bonga7

Been a Turbo fan ever since my brother and I got the TG-16 + CD attachment the day it was released.  Then we traded it back to TTI as soon as the Duo became available. Never felt the need to have anything done with my Duo until it stopped working.  Sent it out to Turbokon to get it repaired/modded. All I can say is wow, he does great work.

I just want to give a shout-out to Turbokon for repairing/modding my Duo. I am especially impressed with his RGB to Component mod.  Quality work from a quality guy!

turbokon

Thanks bonja, I can't fully take credit for this mod as it wouldn't be possible without thesteve. He's one that came up with the original circuit design that several of us used to build our boards. The results were so amazing that I had to get these made.

BTW, I want to officially welcome you to our site!!!

www.tg16pcemods.com

esteban

Quote from: Bonga7 on 06/21/2013, 10:39 AMBeen a Turbo fan ever since my brother and I got the TG-16 + CD attachment the day it was released.  Then we traded it back to TTI as soon as the Duo became available. Never felt the need to have anything done with my Duo until it stopped working.  Sent it out to Turbokon to get it repaired/modded. All I can say is wow, he does great work.

I just want to give a shout-out to Turbokon for repairing/modding my Duo. I am especially impressed with his RGB to Component mod.  Quality work from a quality guy!
Yes, turbokon is a great guy  :pcgs:

Welcome, Bonga.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turbokon

Thanks Esteban:)

Per thesteve, component boards works with all 22uf smd caps. Updated pictures of component board using all smd caps. Now it shouldn't be a problem installing one of these in a turbo express or pc-engine gt for sure:)

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

i built and tested one of these boards and was quite happy with the results.
the original design had over spec caps, because i needed them to not cause me any issues while i was designing the prototype.
building this on a board made it easy to swap the caps out
even the 22uf caps are overkill, but they fit nice so no reason to go smaller.
the total power usage on a white screen (max) including input and output currents is 90mA

turbokon

Added photos of the component video boards in a turbografx-cd dock. I just installed one of these boards in a turbografx cd dock.

www.tg16pcemods.com

MotherGunner

Awesome! Did you notice any difference in the way the dock handles the jail bars vs. the TG?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

turbokon

Video looked clean the first try, no noticeable interference. I didn't need to do any special grounding to the hu6260. The jail bars are still noticeable in blue background so it is still needed to install the two caps to reduce the jail bars.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

seieienbu

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turbokon

If you can do a region mod, you can do this. If you're doing this on a pc-engine or tg16, you can get rgb, sync, ground and 5v from expansion port.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Updated with pictures of one installed in a turbo express. However still working out the jail bar issues.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Just installed in a pc-engine duo using the din-8 connector to keep the stock look. With the component cable I'm using, I couldn't fit the male connector housing so I wrapped it electric tape instead. I need to find a component cable with smaller wires.

IMG
IMG
IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

I found this website that might be useful for those who are interested in the component video mod for their turbo/pce systems. Apparently there are some test you can do to check to see if your HDTV supports 240p via component.

http://www.retro-otaku.com/2011/06/is-your-tv-240p-compatible/

Taken directly from website:

"So, how do you test your panel's compatibility and what are your options? I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that if you have a Wii, change the Virtual Console to output in 240p and see what happens. Aside from that, I don't know too many consoles that can do 240p and output component video natively. If you have a Playstation 2 and a set of component cables, you have a couple of choices:

Fire up one of the Sega Ages releases that contain Mega Drive or Master System games and change the display settings in-game to 240p. I know this option exists for Phantasy Star Complete Collection, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box and Monster World Collection.
Load up Ico and see what happens (must be running in 60hz, the PAL version will give you the option)
All PSone games running out of the PS2 apparently run in 240p also (I'm assuming this only counts for NTSC games, not PAL titles), so give that a try"

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

better option is connect the composite cable to the Y input on your TV
if it works you should get a good pic without color

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

I was told by a customer I installed the component video for that this works on a XRGB mini Framemeister and that it even looks better on the mini. Maybe for those with HDTV that doesn't support 240p, this could be an option, I don't know, will have to do some digging into this.

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

some tv's that will work with 240P still work better at higher res, or dont properly support 240
those will look better with a scaler

MotherGunner

I have always wanted an XRGB mini for other reasons so maybe it's time.  Native English support too which is awesome.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

thesteve

board works on geni, by adding 1K resistors between geni and board RGB pins

turbokon

Thesteve made it work with a genni by adding 1k resistors from the genni's rgb to component video board rgb input. I will try this and get the install guide updated to include this.

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

the board can work with any RGB device, given a few rules
the RGB lines must have a voltage offset and must be .7Vpp-1Vpp sig
must have a sync sig of at least .3Vpp
thats it.
the sega has 1.4Vpp-2Vpp sig, so i needed to cut that in half
the board has a 1K input impedance, so 1K resistors did the job

KalessinDB

As the proud owner of the CD Dock that the first adapter was installed into, I just wanna chime in real quick to say it looks great.  There's a small amount of jailbars as we know, but really unless you're looking for it you don't see it (JJ & Jeff, as noted, is the worst and even then it still looks way better than it did on composite).

Played around a little with it on my Turbo Everdrive and very happy with the work.

Thanks to all who made this a reality.

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com