10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Turbo/PCE/Genesis/SNES RGB-to-YPbPr/Component Video Chip For Sale!

Started by turbokon, 06/14/2013, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbokon

Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

HercTNT

turbokon

Just installed it on my geni today :)

IMG

IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

xcrement5x

So, is is possible to run it on a Genny using the output from the rear AV connector? 

Basically, this is what I was thinking:
Tap the pinout, add the 1k resistors after that(are they on the RGB lines or the sync, or both?), then wire them to the board.  Finally tap the board out for the component and run to your TV.

Does that sounds like it would work or is it madness?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

turbokon

Yep, you can do that. Thesteve just tapped it from the back connector of the genni. You only need to add the 1kohm res to the RGB signals only, no need to add to the sync. You can get +5v and ground from the connector pinout also.

www.tg16pcemods.com

BlueBMW

So like an external component encoder that isnt rediculously expensive? :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

xcrement5x

Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/14/2013, 09:30 PMSo like an external component encoder that isnt rediculously expensive? :P
Exactly what I was thinking :D

I was thinking it would be cool to make more of a black box type thing that I could plug input from off a console, then it does the component conversion.  If I could find a Nintendo AV plug with the correct pinouts then maybe people could finally get GameCube component cables that don't cost a bajillion dollars too.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

turbokon

Maybe that's something Shapeways can make with 3D printing. Someone else will have to take this on and work with Shapeways.

www.tg16pcemods.com

darkgunsou86

can someone try it on Nintendo 64? SNES too if possible. these consoles have nice games that I want to play using component output.

BlueBMW

I'm sure it would work on the N64 and SNES, we just need to figure out the right way to modify their RGB signals.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Thesteve and I confirmed it works with the Snes:) More systems testing to come.

IMG

IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

More pictures of the component video board in action:)

Genesis
IMG
IMG
IMG

SNES
IMG
IMG
IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

Marll

So overall what is the end result of this component mod/board vs RGB?

I'm going to test my Bravia for 240P happiness. I don't think that my Denon receiver will pass the signal properly, so may have to send video to the TV directly and sound to the receiver. Only downside is more remotes/button presses to deal with I suppose.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

sirhcman

man I wish one of my tvs accepted a 240p signal :( the quality looks amazing!

edit: time to go dust off the old lcd down stairs to see if it accepts the signal.. dammit only 480i and 480p  :x

turbokon

Quote from: Marll on 09/10/2013, 07:50 PMSo overall what is the end result of this component mod/board vs RGB?

I'm going to test my Bravia for 240P happiness. I don't think that my Denon receiver will pass the signal properly, so may have to send video to the TV directly and sound to the receiver. Only downside is more remotes/button presses to deal with I suppose.
I never done a rgb mod before so I can't tell you how they compare with the component video mod. From what I've read, raw rgb is almost unusable without some sort of amplification circuit.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Quote from: guest on 09/10/2013, 08:54 PMman I wish one of my tvs accepted a 240p signal :( the quality looks amazing!

edit: time to go dust off the old lcd down stairs to see if it accepts the signal.. dammit only 480i and 480p  :x
Did you try pluging the composite RCA to the "Y" of the component input? If it support 240p, you should see black & white pictures.

www.tg16pcemods.com

sirhcman

Quote from: turbokon on 09/10/2013, 11:39 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/10/2013, 08:54 PMman I wish one of my tvs accepted a 240p signal :( the quality looks amazing!

Did you try pluging the composite RCA to the "Y" of the component input? If it support 240p, you should see black & white pictures.
no, just checked the specs online for all my televisions. will try it on a couple tho to see what happens :)

Marll

Quote from: turbokon on 09/10/2013, 11:36 PM
Quote from: Marll on 09/10/2013, 07:50 PMSo overall what is the end result of this component mod/board vs RGB?

I never done a rgb mod before so I can't tell you how they compare with the component video mod. From what I've read, raw rgb is almost unusable without some sort of amplification circuit.
Yeah I like the board you've created and it seems easy enough for me to tap the expansion port (I'd put this in my CD Dock). I'm just wondering if RGB is significantly better picture wise than component. Like if composite is worst, then Svideo, then Component and then RGB. Unfortunately pictures on the internet usually don't do what everyone is seeing on screen in person justice.

I know that you can't answer the question personally not having done an RGB mod, but would be interesting to get someone's take that have seen both.

thesteve

i have done both
in my case my plasma misidentifies the component as 480I (which works)
but it properly id's RGB as 240P making it look better
component has the same colorspace as composite, whereas RGB is full spectrum color

turbokon

I read some where that component signals are less susceptible to colour errors (instability and phase) than the RGB.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Marll

So for component are you getting the same colors as composite, just clearer, which RGB provides more color and clarity?

stockspyder

I know it's a dumb question, but I didn't see it on the PDF. I've never done a component mod before or wired component before, but looking at the pics it's difficult to tell. Are you just wiring each color to each component output, or are they all attached to the ground wire as well?

Thanks for your help

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

xcrement5x

Just bought one of these chips and can't wait for it to get here to try making a Genesis component cable.  I'll need 3, 1k resistors right, is is possible to give you a bit of extra cash to get them shipped with the board?

turbokon

Oh man, I just shipped out the boards to you. I still need my web guy to add a drop down option for the genni & SNES.

www.tg16pcemods.com

xcrement5x

Lol, no problem.  You're just too customer oriented and ship stuff out fast! 

I'm sure I can get them elsewhere, I meant to ask sooner but got sidetracked.  :D

turbokon

My web guy have added a drop down selection for the different systems this board currently works with. More systems to be tested and added later.

www.tg16pcemods.com

cloudd

I was trying to purchase one of these Component boards from your website but there is no option to ship to Canada. Do you ship to Canada?

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

KalessinDB

Quote from: Marll on 09/11/2013, 03:12 PMYeah I like the board you've created and it seems easy enough for me to tap the expansion port (I'd put this in my CD Dock). I'm just wondering if RGB is significantly better picture wise than component. Like if composite is worst, then Svideo, then Component and then RGB. Unfortunately pictures on the internet usually don't do what everyone is seeing on screen in person justice.

I know that you can't answer the question personally not having done an RGB mod, but would be interesting to get someone's take that have seen both.
As far as I can tell, this (like many questions) is a very subjective answer.  However, the most common answer I've seen is "YPbPr and RGB are basically interchangeable for most people's perceptions", meaning that while RGB may in theory be a touch better, the average human eye won't be able to tell the difference.  I know I can't tell a difference with any pictures I've seen (which you seem to intimate is the same with you -- I also don't have any RGB or scart connections to test), and I know I CAN tell a difference going from S-Video to Component on my various systems (some more so than others depending on how good the S-Video was).

Take that for what you will, but I for one am happy getting things into YPbPr rather than monkeying with converters that are bound to add lag in an effort to turn RGB into HDMI (since there's no real other way to use pure RGB without finding a PVM or something).

That reminds me, I really need to send turbokon my Jaguar so he can test that one out :D

thesteve

Quote from: KalessinDB on 09/20/2013, 12:55 PM
Quote from: Marll on 09/11/2013, 03:12 PMYeah I like the board you've created and it seems easy enough for me to tap the expansion port (I'd put this in my CD Dock). I'm just wondering if RGB is significantly better picture wise than component. Like if composite is worst, then Svideo, then Component and then RGB. Unfortunately pictures on the internet usually don't do what everyone is seeing on screen in person justice.

As far as I can tell, this (like many questions) is a very subjective answer.  However, the most common answer I've seen is "YPbPr and RGB are basically interchangeable for most people's perceptions", meaning that while RGB may in theory be a touch better, the average human eye won't be able to tell the difference.  I know I can't tell a difference with any pictures I've seen (which you seem to intimate is the same with you -- I also don't have any RGB or scart connections to test), and I know I CAN tell a difference going from S-Video to Component on my various systems (some more so than others depending on how good the S-Video was).

Take that for what you will, but I for one am happy getting things into YPbPr rather than monkeying with converters that are bound to add lag in an effort to turn RGB into HDMI (since there's no real other way to use pure RGB without finding a PVM or something).

That reminds me, I really need to send turbokon my Jaguar so he can test that one out :D
well put
any TV using HDMI is using component encoded video anyway
if the tv supports tint/hue/brightness/contrast adjustments its transcoding to component anyway
so rarely except on PVM's do you ever get pure RGB video paths anyway

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

c0ldb33r

I wanted to give some feedback in this thread. I had turbokon do some work to my PCE Duo.

In particular he did the following:
  • Install component video output - using built-in component jacks
  • Install region mod with rocker switch
  • Install power LED
  • Do complete cap replacement
The work turned out wonderfully. My duo had terrible audio issues, and had to warm up before I would get any CD audio. Now it works 100%. The region mod works perfectly too.

The video output is amazing. It simply can't compare to stock composite. The video is just as clear as using an emulator!

The picture quality below isn't perfect since I took the pictures with my phone. The third picture (NEC/Hudson) really shows how incredibly clear the picture quality is. The middle photo shows the component jacks (in the back) and the power LED.

photo-2.webp
photo-1.webp
photo-3.webp
Member of the F@ck EBAY Club

turbokon

Is there anyone out there who would like to create an install guide for the Genesis & SNES for me in exchange for free component video boards?

www.tg16pcemods.com

xcrement5x

Quote from: turbokon on 11/05/2013, 12:22 PMIs there anyone out there who would like to create an install guide for the Genesis & SNES for me in exchange for free component video boards?
I'm working on building a cable with mine off the AV port in the back so that I don't actually have to drill holes in my Genesis, not sure if that qualifies but I'll try and snap pictures as I go through it all.

turbokon

Yeah, that could be an option for peeps who don't want to drill into their systems.

www.tg16pcemods.com

ConHuevos

Quote from: KalessinDB on 09/20/2013, 12:55 PM

Just wanted to chime in about this.  Component Video (YPbPr) and RGB are both lossless formats.  They're exactly the same quality. 

The difference between the two is that YPbPr uses algebra to calculate the color signal to save on bandwidth, while RGB just carries the signal in 3 channels.  Component video takes luma for black and white, and takes Red - Luma and Blue - Luma to calculate the green. 

So there's no difference in quality.  There may be slight color differentiation going on however, this is due to the mixing when converting RGB -> Component, but the video quality and clarity are exactly the same.

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

Platinumfungi

Just wanted to say awesome work  8) I haven't been here on the forum in ages, so it's great to see everyone is still rocking the scene and developing newer and better gear.

Keep it up!
IMG

turbokon

Thanks Red. The result was a collaboration between several of us. Wouldn't have been possible without all the valuable resources we have here. Btw, welcome back :)

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

Quote from: turbokon on 11/05/2013, 12:22 PMIs there anyone out there who would like to create an install guide for the Genesis & SNES for me in exchange for free component video boards?
I wouldn't mind doing this but I would need a guide to show me how to do it so I could make a guide...........

turbokon

You can tap RGB, sync and 5V directly from the genesis and SNES a/v port.

Genesis:
IMG IMG

SNES:
IMG

Or you can tap from the encoder chip, don't know the part number for them at the moment.

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

I'm going to order one of these from you on Friday,I've already spent my mad money for this pay period lol.

technozombie

Ok order placed, I'm a newb at this but I'm going to try to make a guide. I choose the Snes/Gen option, does that mean it will come with the 1k resistors?

turbokon

Yep, it does. It will soldered onto the board for you. I will send you two so that you can do it for the genesis and SNES. Do you need parts? Like wires, RCA jacks?

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

I don't have any wires, I was going to try to scavenge some or hit up radio shack. I placed an order last night on digikey for some RCA jacks and some oscillators to over clock the genesis later :)

Wow, thanks for sending 2, I hope the guide turns out well I'm going to try to take a ton of pictures and make my wife help me.

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com