10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Calling all cheese lovers

Started by PC Gaijin, 03/22/2006, 01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC Gaijin

Especially Keranu and stevek666...have you guys ever played Ninja Golf? I finally got my hands on this game last week, and I must say it lived up to my expectations. A side-scrolling ninja beat-em-up combined with a golf game. Only the brilliant minds of the post-Warner Atari could have come up with this.

/bninjagolffront9jb.jpg

In all seriousness, this game isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Neither the golf portion nor the beat-em-up are all that great, but somehow they actually work together. After teeing off you have to hoof it to the ball while defending yourself against ninjas (of course!), frogs, sharks, bird eggs (or poop, I'm not sure which), and some unidentifiable creature that pops out of the ground and chucks an unidentifiable blob of something at you. Each area of the course (greens, rough, water, etc.) has a separate side-scrolling section and enemies. I was also amused by the appropriate little ditty that plays whenever you enter a new area (the Jaws theme plays when you go into the water for example). You can defend yourself with kicks, shurikens you pick up on the ground, or jumping. There's also the typical health potions, invincible shields, and 1-ups to look out for. Once you've reached your ball, you take another swing then go back to the side-scrolling action again. Upon reaching the green you have to hurl shurikens at a fire-belching Asian-style dragon (nicely done). This part reminded me a bit of the bonus scenes in Shinobi. Kill the dragon and head to the next hole.

/sninjagolf15gf.png

/sninjagolf29ap.png

/sninjagolf33od.png

/sninjagolf58wx.png

So yeah, not the greatest game ever, but an amusing diversion. I can make it to the seventh hole (nine altogether) before things get too fast. I wonder if the game has an ending, I am hoping for something appropriately cheesy if it does. :D

Keranu

Hahaha, that's hilarious you post this because I was at this awesome video game store last week and saw that game there was laughing about it with my brothers. Unfortunately we don't have a Atari 7800 at the moment, so I had to pass from buying it. Thanks for your review on it though, it actually sounds really sweet! I'll definitely have to look into playing this game.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Dark Fact

Okay, now THIS is the best game ever! :D

Ninjas? Golf? GENIUS!!!
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

esteban

Quote from: "PC Gaijin"Especially Keranu and stevek666...have you guys ever played Ninja Golf? I finally got my hands on this game last week, and I must say it lived up to my expectations. A side-scrolling ninja beat-em-up combined with a golf game. Only the brilliant minds of the post-Warner Atari could have come up with this.
Hahahhahaaa! Man, it looks like I'll have to get this game. I totally agree, this is truly a brilliant combination of genres. Insanely brilliant, but brilliant nonetheless.

I enjoyed reading your post! Informative and entertaining :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Dark Fact

There is another article here that offers a more detailed view into the game, complete with ROM and emulator download!  :D

Needless to say, even RoG gushes over this game! :)
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

CrackTiger

Thats about as ridiculous as sports games with Mario, Bomberman with Tengai Makyou characters, Metal Gear Solid with Ape Escape or Rumble Roses characters, a Noah's Ark themed Wolfenstein game, Opa Opa in a Zillion game, Populous with Bomberman characters, or a Tennis or Racing RPG game(especially if Satan is the final boss).

Reminds me of what David Letterman said to Arnold Schwarzenegger when he appeared to promote the movie "Junior".

It was either:

"What's more believable, you being pregant or you and Danny Devito as doctors?"

or...

"What's more believable, you and Danny Devito as twins or you and Danny Devito as doctors?"
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: "CrackTiger"Thats about as ridiculous as sports games with Mario, Bomberman with Tengai Makyou characters, Metal Gear Solid with Ape Escape or Rumble Roses characters, a Noah's Ark themed Wolfenstein game, Opa Opa in a Zillion game, Populous with Bomberman characters, or a Tennis or Racing RPG game(especially if Satan is the final boss).
:)

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

motdelbuort

There's a Populous with Bomberman characters? WTF?

Ninja Golf needs an update.

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: OldRoverIt needs a PCE port! :lol:
KAZE KIRI GOLF. It'll be a PCE exclusive follow-up to the venerable Ninja Golf. :)

Keranu

IMG

pixeljunkie

i actually have this! BOXED! I know I know....I've played this quite a bit actually. Putting is the BEST. It switches to a over-the-shoulder 3rd person view and you throw shurikens at the dragon gaurding the hole [as stated, but repeated for emphasis]. Awesome. I may have to hook this up tonight now...

CrackTiger

I was browsing a a few PC Engine sites when I came across screenshots of Cyber Dodge.

I guess I never gave this game any attention before, because it jumped out at me when I saw that its a dodgeball game with Ninjas, Monks, Cyborgs and other crazy characters.

http://www.waku2traffics.com/pcedb/pcedb_software_details.php?indx_game=180

The graphics look really nice too. I'm going to try to remember to pick it up.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Oh yeah, I have played a ROM of that before. It's hilarious when the team select screen pops up and you have a choice between those awesomely cheesy teams! I can't quite remember how the game played, but I think it controlled pretty well.
IMG