The TG-16 looks amazing with a CRT tv!

Started by Damon Plus, 07/19/2013, 06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damon Plus

Last week I was at my parents hometown, and I took my TG-16 with me. As I bought mine in 2011, all of my house Tv's were already Hdtv's and didn't have the chance to see the system in all its glory. It looked good enough, but not as perfect as I've seen in some pics.

But I forgot my parents still had a 25" Panasonic CRT tv at their house. The Genesis games included at the X360 compilation looked good, but the TG-16 looked AMAZING!

No more blurriness and washed out colors! I could tell apart every pixel on the screen. I could perceive details I missed before. Blazing Lazers, Power Golf, Galaga 90 seemed like new games. But I was most impressed with Legendary Axe and Air Zonk. Legendary Axe's colors popped-up from the screen and its lush jungle environments appeared even more beautiful than before. Air Zonk's cartoony characters and speedy action took a new level of awesomeness.

Sorry for the "Duh! Of course!" thread, but I didn't believe a CRT tv could make such a difference. I've now seen the light...

wildfruit

i agree the composite on turbografx is quite good on an old crt
try an rgb cable for your mega drive very crisp

turbokon

If you think it looks amazing with composite on a CRT TV, wait until you see it on a HDTV via component.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

PunkCryborg

Looks like you need to pick up a sony PVM monitor and go RGB now you've seen the light :D

wmacmonagle

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 07/19/2013, 07:38 PMLooks like you need to pick up a sony PVM monitor and go RGB now you've seen the light :D
I know RGB CRT s CHAMP for the TG System however Im afraid of CRT Cuz damn too heavy and my uncle lost his finger by CRT!!

Takes too much spaces also.. I guess someone gotta mod duo up with HDMI~ LOL!

Wmac
Arcade Line Up: UDOT, Multi-Vector Duel, Tempest Multi, Mini-Galaga, Z-Hyperspin, X360 Blast City, Spiderman Pin, 96 in 1 PacMan

turbokon

Here is a tg16 modded with a component video board on a Sony 52" LED LCD HDTV

www.tg16pcemods.com

CrackTiger

Quote from: turbokon on 07/19/2013, 07:31 PMIf you think it looks amazing with composite on a CRT TV, wait until you see it on a HDTV via component.
If you think it looks amazing with component on an hdtv, wait until you see s-video or component (or even composite from a modded system) on a crt.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Dalder

Screw HDMI
RGB CRT all the way ! once you see video games in RGB you will never go back to what you have been using to play your old school video games !!!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 07/19/2013, 08:54 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 07/19/2013, 07:31 PMIf you think it looks amazing with composite on a CRT TV, wait until you see it on a HDTV via component.
If you think it looks amazing with component on an hdtv, wait until you see s-video or component (or even composite from a modded system) on a crt.
Yep.
IMG

PunkCryborg

Quote from: turbokon on 07/19/2013, 08:53 PMHere is a tg16 modded with a component video board on a Sony 52" LED LCD HDTV
needs scanlines!!!

Aggie Tsubi

All my older systems are hooked up to a CRT. That's what was intended for them, after all. They just don't look right on HDTVs. The oldest system I have on my HDTV is my PS2, and even then some PS2 games look weird on it.

MrFlutterPie

All retro gaming should be done on CRT's first rule and all.

My turbo runs S-Video through a 32" CRT and man is it awesome!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Robocop2

All of this is making my efforts to resurrect my Sony XBR even harder to endure

VestCunt

Don't own a flat screen. Never played a video game on a flat screen. Played a Wii once at a buddy's, but it was on CRT.
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

Get some framemeister mini upscaler, and your HDTV set will look almost as near as good as a CRT :)

the downside, that device will probably cost you more than your TG16 or may be even your TV set (depends on size and its maker)..lol
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

majors

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/24/2013, 02:02 AM...the downside, that device will probably cost you more than your TG16 or may be even your TV set (depends on size and its maker)..lol
I've seen the downward spiral moneypit ppl go through to make LCD/Plasma's look like a $10 CRT from Goodwill. Everyone always complains that do not have room for two TV's(or monitors). Even HD CRT's do not do retro justice from my experience. If you have the cash and time, go for it...I do not.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

turbokon

I do all my retrogaming on my HDTV. My pce/tg16 setups have the best pictures on my HDTV because of the component video boards I have installed in them.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Aggie Tsubi

Quote from: majors on 07/24/2013, 08:21 AMEveryone always complains that do not have room for two TV's(or monitors).
Yet their HDTV is probably many times the size (in width and height, at least) of a smaller CRT. I'm fortunate enough to have the room for both a large HDTV and a large CRT, but if I didn't, I'd still take a small CRT for my classic gaming over an HDTV. Up until the 2000s, pretty much all my gaming was done on a CRT that's probably about 13". In fact, I still have that TV (first TV that was ever my own personal TV, had it since 1990), and it still has a nice picture. Now and then I still use it and another small CRT I have for gaming (only the big one has s-video input, though). As long as you're not sitting a mile away from it, there's nothing wrong with a small TV.

jeffhlewis

Take a trip to your local Goodwill - chances are you'll find CRT's for 19" - 32" for $0.99 to $4.99. They're pretty much giving the things away these days. Snap 'em up while you can - I bought about 9 of them for the Midwest Gaming Classic last year.

Find a decent 19"+ with S-Video and composite, and you've got a decent retrogaming set for super cheap.

I got a Sony WEGA HD-CRT (4:3 screen) for $20 on Craigslist - thing looks ballz amazing in S-Video and has component vid for the PS2, etc. Worth every penny!

psychobear

CRT is the only way for retro consoles.

MotherGunner

I hear PVMs are the best CRTs to have.  Which model is best?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

turboswimbz

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 07/24/2013, 10:05 PMTake a trip to your local Goodwill - chances are you'll find CRT's for 19" - 32" for $0.99 to $4.99. They're pretty much giving the things away these days. Snap 'em up while you can - I bought about 9 of them for the Midwest Gaming Classic last year.

Find a decent 19"+ with S-Video and composite, and you've got a decent retrogaming set for super cheap.

I got a Sony WEGA HD-CRT (4:3 screen) for $20 on Craigslist - thing looks ballz amazing in S-Video and has component vid for the PS2, etc. Worth every penny!
You should see my goodwill. They have 50 bucks on their crts.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

fraggore

Quote from: psychobear on 07/25/2013, 01:16 AMCRT is the only way for retro consoles.
I second that, but would like to see them setup through a framemeister mini with scanlines.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

psychobear

Quote from: fraggore on 07/25/2013, 01:25 PM
Quote from: psychobear on 07/25/2013, 01:16 AMCRT is the only way for retro consoles.
I second that, but would like to see them setup through a framemeister mini with scanlines.
I been looking this up lately, I'm probably end up getting one soon and see how it works. So far I read more good stuff then bad.

Damon Plus

We don't have Goodwills here in Spain, but thanks anyway for the advice. I'll probably take the TV for playing when I move next year.

psychobear

Damon you should look into buying a framemeister mini. So far from the reviews and experiences I been reading it does wonders.

SignOfZeta

XRGB=$500
PVM=$50

And the PVM looks better.
IMG

Deletion

Quote from: MotherGunner on 07/25/2013, 01:24 AMI hear PVMs are the best CRTs to have.  Which model is best?
The best model is the one that is in good working order and is local to you. Because even 20" PVMs can be heavy as fuck... and we all know how heavy fuck can be.

turbokon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/25/2013, 06:53 PMXRGB=$500
PVM=$50

And the component video board=$32:)

www.tg16pcemods.com

fraggore

i was looking into getting a sony PVM but here in the uk a 20" one your looking at paying £180, so i went with a bang a olufson 21" well happy with it, and it only cost me £19 and a trip in a 4X4 up a mountain it was a experience lol.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

SignOfZeta

A 20" PVM is actually pretty huge. Most are 13"-17", many are even smaller.

Btw, I have a JVC production monitor and its every bit as good as a Sony. There is another version of the same monitor from another company...maybe Panasonic? anyway, I got it off Craigslist for $40 and there is almost always another one on CL in my area.

With a proper PVM you feel invincible. As soon as I hooked up my Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha board to it I knew I had the perfect display. PERFECT. We all know what a bitchy snob I am, but can find literally no flaws with this thing. The scanlines are nice and thick, the color is flawless, and in RGB there is no such thing as dot crawl or shimmering. Best of all, all the interlace tricks (shadows in KOF, transparencies in PC Engine games) work %100 perfectly. It's heaven. There is nothing better at any price. These displays are very very cheap, but honestly they are priceless to me since they are the best thing out there and forever out of production.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: turbokon on 07/25/2013, 07:53 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/25/2013, 06:53 PMXRGB=$500
PVM=$50

And the component video board=$32:)
How about the component video board WITH a PVM? Most PVMs take YPbPr and RGB.
IMG

roflmao

Tatsujin

There could be some serious business for sony to turn on the pvm production line one more time :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Deletion

Not sure what it's like in other parts of the country, but in the Boston area there are a ton of flat-screen CRT TVs (and sometimes even PVMs) being given away for free on Craigslist. If I had the time, space and means, I'd save every Trinitron, DynaFlat and Tau tube I could.

Deletion

Speaking of which, check out this CL listing for Cambridge, MA. Someone grab these now!

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/3957472923.html

Two good condition, working Sony Trinitron cube monitors. Models PVM-2950Q and PVM-2530. One is 29" diagonal, the other is 25" diagonal. Free - you must come pick them up. These monitors were high end Sony monitors from back in the day. They are stackable and really rugged.

Contact me to arrange a time to pick up. In the Kendall Square area of Cambridge.

images.craigslist.org/00101_6EbUh2hJpdY_600x450.jpg

Damon Plus

I visited today a second-hand store that had some old-school games. And I say "had" because they were all gone. Sad thing, as they had some interesting things.

But they had some CRT Tv's. I am impressed by how cheap they are, a 14" Tv+Vhs Philips combo for just 15€!! There were other models. Store was closing at the time, but I'm going back and see the prices of 21" Tv's and such. Depending on them, I'm probably going to get a 21" Tv and two smaller 14" ones.

It helps I like really old movies so I can use it both ways :)

Arkhan Asylum

I bought an XRGB and use it for Genesis, Master System, MSX, PCE, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1/2, NES, SNES, PCFX, GayCube, and N64.

Looks pretty nice on a 55" TV. 

If I didn't have a 55" TV though, I'd just use a Commodore 1084 + Composite, or the 29" CRT I have in my closet. 

I should get a PVM one day.   That'd be neat.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gillian Seed

It pains me to say all of my retro consoles only have composite at best. I've been wanting to get RGB for a while, but it's annoying that some consoles didn't have it built in. If I go RGB with one I want to make sure I can do it with all of them first :P

My preferred TV right now for my old consoles is a 13" CRT. Games look so damn nice on it, even in composite. I used to buy gradually bigger and bigger CRT TVs before deciding I like small sets better. I find that early 3D games in particular look so much better on a small screen.

MotherGunner

Agreed, composite is alright on a nice little TV.  You also don't break your back moving it around if you want to go somewhere else and play!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/06/2013, 03:30 PMIt pains me to say all of my retro consoles only have composite at best. I've been wanting to get RGB for a while, but it's annoying that some consoles didn't have it built in. If I go RGB with one I want to make sure I can do it with all of them first :P

My preferred TV right now for my old consoles is a 13" CRT. Games look so damn nice on it, even in composite. I used to buy gradually bigger and bigger CRT TVs before I deciding I like small sets better. I find that early 3D games in particular look so much better on a small screen.
S-video provides a near perfect image and works on many more North American CRT TVs than RGB or component.

You can use an XMD3 to get s-video out of Genesis and SMS systems. Some people make a similar device for Neo Geo consoles. PC Engine systems need a hardware mod no matter what. There is one custom French adapter that uses the expansion port of HuCard-only units, but it's not worth it.

Emulation: IMG
S-Video mod: IMG
S-video mod-to-CompositeIMG
Stock Composite: IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gillian Seed

Damn that looks nice :O I didn't think S-video would give such a huge boost in colour. I do have a CRT TV that supports component though, so would it be best to just go like RGB to component (assuming that works)?

jeffhlewis

I've got S-Video on every one of my main playing consoles, with the exception of the NES/Twin-Fami, simply because the PlayChoice chip swap isn't worth the trouble or cost for me.

But yeah, S-Video makes a gigantic difference in a lot of cases - the SMS, Genesis and Neo all look a million times better with a good S-Video mod.

Arkhan Asylum

There's a color knob/slider for composite.  Fix those colors with that! :D

I really do enjoy how PCE looks on Commodore 1084 monitors.

If you can find one of those, get one.   They're usually balls cheap on craigslist.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

I S-Video modded my Genesis and the difference was huge. RGB doesn't seem to be all that neccisary now, but then I'm not a huge Genesis can anyway.

PVMs take every SD signal known to man, usually, you don't need RGB to enjoy a PVM, but it helps.
IMG

MottZilla

It depends on which PVM you get. Mine doesn't support S-Video. It supports Composite and RGB.

The Genesis looks so much better with S-Video because the Composite video quality was HORRIBLE on most hardware revisions. Colors are dramatically different between Composite and RGB in my testing. Other systems don't have nearly as bad Composite Video output as the Genesis seems to have.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: MottZilla on 08/07/2013, 02:15 PMOther systems don't have nearly as bad Composite Video output as the Genesis seems to have.
The AES has even worse composite.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/07/2013, 01:05 AMI S-Video modded my Genesis and the difference was huge. RGB doesn't seem to be all that neccisary now, but then I'm not a huge Genesis can anyway.

PVMs take every SD signal known to man, usually, you don't need RGB to enjoy a PVM, but it helps.
Well, Genesis pukes out RGB natively so you wouldn't have had to mod it at all, at least.

You'd still need something to jam the signal into though.

Jabberwok

Suppose this post was a poll CRT or HDTV...

CRT for me. Hell even my emulation PC is hooked on the same CRT  8)