OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Do you hate them?

Started by Jabberwok, 08/08/2013, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabberwok

Nintendo & Sega I mean, do you hate them? for being responsible of the demise of NEC's place in video games. I for one am not sure, I mean there are way too much variables to consider. I mean yes big corporations are bloodthirsty sharks, the bigger they are the meaner they are. Take the automobile industry for example : of course the Delorean but anyone remember the Tucker?

So yeah, NEC got bullied... Only problem is can we blame them? No in the sense that this is how a market is shared. And yes because I find it extremely puerile & cowardly to hit on the small guy when he obviously don't want to create waves...

So now one of the bully was politely shown the door some 12 years ago & the remaining bully is being sandwiched between 2 titans spewing gimmicky contraptions that for the moment 'wii' use...

Lets face it, NEC is loved to this day because he was a martyr while the other 2 who are still in business will simply fade out & will be remembered simply as "them"...  :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

PukeSter

Maybe I shouldnt comment, but it was really Hudson doing all the work. They made the pce, and they made the games. I'm not bitter at all though, NEC and Hudson put up a great fight, but poor marketing in the u.s. was their fault. I also find it extremely arrogant that you call nintendo and sega "Them", as they were also amazing innovators with high standards. Besides, Sega doesn't make systems anymore.

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2013, 10:34 PMMaybe I shouldnt comment, but it was really Hudson doing all the work. They made the pce, and they made the games. I'm not bitter at all though, NEC and Hudson put up a great fight, but poor marketing in the u.s. was their fault. I also find it extremely arrogant that you call nintendo and sega "Them", as they were also amazing innovators with high standards. Besides, Sega doesn't make systems anymore.
Agreed.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

OMG NIntendo and Sega were JEEAALOUS of the PCE!!!  JEALOUS! SO they conspired to get rid of it because the PCE can do REAL SPRITES and they cant so they got rid of then and now look they rule except Sega but they still lasted longer. So jelaous all because of real spiress all i know is that obly PCE has the best games tho i wish it only had shooters becase only shooters are god PCE had lord of thruner but Sega had X.D.R lol

edit: also super nINtedo also had no good games so they were healous that the PCE has all the good games Super Nintendo mode 7 made i awful more colors made it awful so jealous. mebbe i am the one thats jealous? Naw.

geise

I hate TTI for all the stupid decisions they made and poor marketing.  They had something good and had no idea how to sell the thing.  Granted, Sega and Nintendo already had the kids and parents in their corner which didn't help us Turbo fans.  I can't hate those companies for marketing their systems the right way.

Now as for Sega being software only now, that's their own fault.  Saturn sold very poorly in the States and everyone was already on the Sony bandwagon.  There was really no chance.  It was "exactly the same" situation TTI had to deal with at the time.

jlued686

Hart to hate on TTi. IMO, they did the best they could with a miniscule budget and a .0000002% of the marketshare.

And no, I don't hate Nintendo or Sega. I love them. Good games is good games, yo.

geise

Quote from: guest on 08/09/2013, 10:55 AMHart to hate on TTi. IMO, they did the best they could with a miniscule budget and a .0000002% of the marketshare.

And no, I don't hate Nintendo or Sega. I love them. Good games is good games, yo.
Yeah hate is a strong word.  Let's just say more disappointed than anything.

Jabberwok

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2013, 10:34 PMMaybe I shouldnt comment, but it was really Hudson doing all the work. They made the pce, and they made the games. I'm not bitter at all though, NEC and Hudson put up a great fight, but poor marketing in the u.s. was their fault. I also find it extremely arrogant that you call nintendo and sega "Them", as they were also amazing innovators with high standards. Besides, Sega doesn't make systems anymore.
My fault I wasn't clear enough. One of the thing I remember from back then is how they made fun of the PCE being an 8-bit system at its core. This is what bugged me the most. I mean the SuperNES's cpu is a 65c816, a variant of the 65c02, an 8-bit cpu as well... What I mean is Nintendo & Sega were playing the numbers game... heck, the Sega Genesis cpu (the 68000) have a 32 bit data path so again, just numbers. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against "them" but the way they pushed the newcomer aside, regardless of NEC's own incapacity to dent the market was juvenile.

Do I hate "them"? not a bit. I mean most of the best rpg's i played were on the SuperNES after all... And the largest collection I had was for the Genesis/Sega CD

Now we all know what a bit is but back then? no one had a clue. But they had more of that weird stuff! so it was better! besides, they had the market to themselves...

So yeah, I still love Sega & Nintendo even though they acted like they did... Picture yourself chairman of either of those companies back then, wouldn't you have done the same thing? Basic survival instinct dictates... We all would have! be honest...

PukeSter

Well remember, Hudson was new but Nec was a hardware giant. Their chips were even in some game systems, such as the Sega master system. Whatever chips they wanted in the pce was their decision. If anything, nec produced too many pce variants, such as 3 pce duos. Also, I'm not aware that Nintendo and Sega made fun of nec. Where did you get that idea?

Finally, if you say it was survival instinct (so not their fault) then why did you make this topic in the first place?

Jabberwok

I remember reading it somewhere, the comment was from a rep from I don't remember which company but he basically said "The Turbografx-16 is powered by an 8-bit cpu". It was I think in EGM. Guilty for not remembering 100% a small comment I read some 20 years ago. Also, kudos to Hudson for designing those chips, I mean talk about effectiveness. Sega with it's "off the shelf" hardware, although good is nowhere near as efficient on a technical level.

And this topic was mainly a "who's with whom" thread. So now that you've shown part of your true colors, care to tell us for who you root for? I'm guessing Nintendo am I right? Me? Sega fanboy here.

Arkhan Asylum

I don't hate them.   I hate the stupid bastards that didn't buy all the turbobs and make it a success.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Jabberwok

Well the majority of players wants what their friends and/or neighbors have, some even want "what is cool" at that moment in time. I personally wanted it for the games... I know I'm odd!!!

Arkhan Asylum

friends?

lol.

screw that shit.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PukeSter

Quote from: Jabberwok on 08/09/2013, 03:17 PMI remember reading it somewhere, the comment was from a rep from I don't remember which company but he basically said "The Turbografx-16 is powered by an 8-bit cpu". It was I think in EGM. Guilty for not remembering 100% a small comment I read some 20 years ago. Also, kudos to Hudson for designing those chips, I mean talk about effectiveness. Sega with it's "off the shelf" hardware, although good is nowhere near as efficient on a technical level.

And this topic was mainly a "who's with whom" thread. So now that you've shown part of your true colors, care to tell us for who you root for? I'm guessing Nintendo am I right? Me? Sega fanboy here.
I am so confused by this comment. I like all companies, what is with this true colors stuff? I didn't even grow up during the 16 bit console wars...

BigusSchmuck

Actually I hate Pioneer even more for the simple reason they had a machine that could play both Genesis and Turbo games and didn't capitalize enough on that shit. If they had sold the Laseractive at a reasonable price and got some decent laserdisc ports (Dragons Lair hello?) it would have rocked and rolled all day long.

Jabberwok

QuoteI didn't even grow up during the 16 bit console wars...
So no Atari vs. Intellivision debate then. Seriously though since you weren't old enough to have lived the good old console wars days you can't understand the feelings & motivations we had. Brand loyalty was omnipresent back then, nowadays they are just companies, or rather names. Back then you had your brand tattooed on your chest so to speak. Heated debates were fun also, as opposed to the debates of this generation usually ending up in harsh language and/or promises of physical punishment.

You really missed the golden age of gaming Luke. I had a discussion with a teenager recently & he was unable to picture himself in a world without video games. I had fun trying to convince him that playing outside with trucks & action figures was really great...

But personally, I wouldn't trade my memories of the birth & the evolution of video games for anything you guys have...

PukeSter

Quote from: Jabberwok on 08/09/2013, 05:56 PM
QuoteI didn't even grow up during the 16 bit console wars...
So no Atari vs. Intellivision debate then. Seriously though since you weren't old enough to have lived the good old console wars days you can't understand the feelings & motivations we had. Brand loyalty was omnipresent back then, nowadays they are just companies, or rather names. Back then you had your brand tattooed on your chest so to speak. Heated debates were fun also, as opposed to the debates of this generation usually ending up in harsh language and/or promises of physical punishment.

You really missed the golden age of gaming Luke. I had a discussion with a teenager recently & he was unable to picture himself in a world without video games. I had fun trying to convince him that playing outside with trucks & action figures was really great...

But personally, I wouldn't trade my memories of the birth & the evolution of video games for anything you guys have... 
Oh well. I wonder why brand loyalty was so fierce then. Now, we can buy all the systems.
But toy trucks and things? Gameboy original, color and advance were my childhood, but I still had a blast with my gundam figuruines.

Honestly though, I do wish some systems had other systems games. In a perfect world, there would be one system instead of three, but that's the joy of game history and collecting.

RoyVegas

Quote from: Jabberwok on 08/09/2013, 05:56 PMI had fun trying to convince him that playing outside with trucks & action figures was really great...
Oh god, the good old days when I would just go out the front door with my Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars or He Man action figures and literally play in the dirt for hours. The carefree days are long gone but at least they made for good memories!
All is well. :)

Jabberwok

Hummm... brand loyalty is hard to describe really, think of it as rooting for you local (insert sport here) team... But you are right about the cross platform games issue Luke, good thing this is a thing of the past, excluding the titles made by Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft of course. Although when games did became cross platforms the 'new' argument was who has the best version... I still remember the Mortal Kombat discussions! Funny how in the end (back then) I chose the Genesis version (for the blood) because if this would happen right now I would choose the SuperNES version without a doubt.

And Roy, ever took a small plastic shovel to make 'roads' for the cars in the dirt?

CrackTiger

Sega and Nintendo are the reason the PCE/TG-16 exists in the first place.

They may not have used marketing as classy as Johnny Turbo, but nobody's perfect.

There's a big difference between loving one thing and hating everything else. Thats the difference between a fan and a fanboy. If you hate everything else, you can't fully appreciate what you love.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Jabberwok

Johnny Turbo? Thanks to you CrackTiger I will have nightmares again!  :lol:

Seriously though this was one of the final nails in the coffin for TTI... even back then this Johnny Turbo thing reeked moth balls... Oh I remember now the adds where they attacked Sega & their Sega CD. This was also juvenile from them but the TTI guys didn't even have time to empty their moving cartons & they had to pack again...

At any rate Black Tiger is a great arcade game that never got the attention it deserves. It's one of the games I play the most on my M.A.M.E. cab...

Psycho Punch

NEC was also an evil korporation, don't fool yourself. Remember the SupahGraphx? The 999 revisions of the PCE? NEC was just a semiconductor company after all.

One thing that I always wanted to ask, is the size of Hudson... a lot of games were ported/created by Hudson... and plus they developed for the NES and SNES too, not to mention the design of the PCE itself.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Jabberwok

Size of Hudson? Yeah they were spitting out games like watermelon pits... humm... It's either they were a small army or they were geniuses... heck maybe even both.

NecroPhile

I hate Nintendo a smidge for them using their market share to hinder third party devs, but for the most part NEC dug their own grave here in the US.

Quote from: PukeSter on 08/09/2013, 11:43 AMIf anything, nec produced too many pce variants, such as 3 pce duos.
I hear this complaint a lot, but they were no worse than Sega or Nintendo.  The Genny and SNES had just as many (likely more) hardware revisions, just not always on the outside.  But what difference does that make?  It's not like they were producing all three cores or all three duos at the same time.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nulltard on 08/14/2013, 09:44 AM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/12/2013, 01:26 PMI hate Nintendo a smidge for them using their market share to hinder third party devs, but for the most part NEC dug their own grave here in the US.
This, only I'd upgrade "smidge" to a more moderately more severe term. Third party support may have been enough to outweigh NEC's brilliant marketing and strategy.

I also hate Sega a smidge. I'm not sure why. I seem to recall feeling simultaneously embarrassed and vindicated by the Johnny Turbo ads because they hit back at Sega (albeit a limp-wristed slap-strike) for their false claims and dirty advertising that I clearly remember seeing and being upset about way back when, despite not being able to find a single bit of proof of its existence on today's interwebs.

IMG
It's called "Blast Processing".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gillian Seed

I love both SEGA and Nintendo. I didn't own any of the 16-bit consoles during their time, but if I had known more about the Turbo Duo I would have easily begged my parents to get me one. I was very young during the 16-bit era and I can tell you none of the TG-16's marketing was making it's way to kids at the time (actually I never thought about it until now, but the TG-16 might have even been discontinued by then). I only remember seeing one Bonk ad in a magazine and then never hearing about the TurboGrafx-16 again for a long time.

What Nintendo did with 3rd parties though is 100% bullshit. Although I'm not convinced all that much would have changed without it.

Arkhan Asylum

I liked them all equally. 

and, I still play with toys.

You're all dumb.  :)

Jabberwok

Describe "toys" if you please, because I have a radio-guided cat's toy made by Sega/Takara that I use to amuse my cat so in a way Yes I play with toys too...

NecroPhile

Toys as in d-cells and vibrates?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/14/2013, 04:18 PMToys as in d-cells and vibrates?
whoa man you might offend Exodus.  Be careful.

RoyVegas

Quote from: Jabberwok on 08/09/2013, 07:32 PMAnd Roy, ever took a small plastic shovel to make 'roads' for the cars in the dirt?
Shovel?  Hell, I was lucky to have the cars and action figures.  I used my fingers to make the roads!   :-({|=
All is well. :)

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 08/14/2013, 04:54 PMwhoa man you might offend Exodus.  Be careful.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/09/2013, 01:44 AMOMG NIntendo and Sega were JEEAALOUS of the PCE!!!  JEALOUS! SO they conspired to get rid of it because the PCE can do REAL SPRITES and they cant so they got rid of then and now look they rule except Sega but they still lasted longer. So jelaous all because of real spiress all i know is that obly PCE has the best games tho i wish it only had shooters becase only shooters are god PCE had lord of thruner but Sega had X.D.R lol

edit: also super nINtedo also had no good games so they were healous that the PCE has all the good games Super Nintendo mode 7 made i awful more colors made it awful so jealous. mebbe i am the one thats jealous? Naw.
Dude were you drunk when you wrote this? I need a translation lol :)

Tatsujin

I hate Sega for the fact that they didn't try to pull off a better mega drive hardware. heck it was released more than a year after the PC Engine. At that time the PCE already got its CD-ROM. Bad Sega, very bad!

I hate Nintendo for the fact that they didn't try to pull off a better Super Famicom hardware. heck it was released more than THREE (3) years after the PC Engine. At that time the PCE already got its CD-ROM, his bigger brother the super grafx, and a 100% portable of itself, as well a SUPER CD-ROM was jut around the corner. Bad Nintendo, very bad!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

No, I do not hate them.

True gems on every system: games that I absolutely adore.

I have no time to hate: I am too busy playing all the wonderful goddamn games.

SUCK ON THAT ONE, HATERS.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esadajr

Hate is like drinking poison and hoping for the other to die.

And no I don't hate them.
Gaming since 1985

FiftyQuid

I remember seeing my very first Johnny Turbo ad on television and wanting one right away.  All my friends at the time had Nintendo, but I wanted a TG-16 bad.  The problem for me then, as is now, was $$$.  You guys will correct me, but when the TG-16 released it was more expensive and I just couldn't afford $199 and I definitely couldn't afford the CD-ROM attachment.  Hell, I couldn't even afford a second controller (because of the TurboTap must buy).  Not that I ever had need for a second controller as none of my friends were interested in Turbob.

While you guys were playing with your cars in dirt, I was just finishing up high school.  Driving and girls became my hobbies.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

MotherGunner

While it was annoying that Nintendo had some elitist tactics with their partners, I ulmatelly do not blame them or SEGA.  (Let's not forget that PCE was extremely successful in Japan).  On the U.S. side of things, they made a lot of bad decisions (Both the Japan and U.S. office).  Had they brought out more killer apps for the TG, the system would have been extremely successful.  Street Fighter and MK come to mind just for "hooking" purposes as these were the two most popular Arcade Titles at the time, followed closely by the various killer PCE titles we have come to love and enjoy and deserving of a port over some of the shit games we got here.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Xak

Only thing I hate in this world is dead to me.

So I have no hate.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic