Mysterious Song II: Eternal Silence

Started by OldRover, 11/03/2013, 06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

roflmao

Looking good, Rover!  I'm wicked psyched. :D

GohanX

I dunno, I don't think I want to mess with that mega wyrm...

Arjak

Those enemy sprites are absolutely gorgeous. Who made those?

I can't wait to see more! :D
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

whisper2053

Just when I think it can't get better, you go and throw me a curve ball with something like this! It looks absolutely amazing...I soooo can't wait for the day I am able to get the finished product in my hands :D
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

Bernie

Quote from: OldRover on 02/01/2014, 06:16 PMOkay, here's a different shot. I've been ironing out how the initial interface will look, and I think I've just about got it now. Anyway...

/eternal-0032.png

These three enemies use different size types. The first enemy is 64x64, the second is 48x48, and the third is 48x32. 48x32 is the smallest size the game uses.
Man, you have really outdone yourself with this!  Those screens are just beautiful!

thesteve

Wow, how did I miss this
Me want 2

esteban

First, thanks for sharing the design process with us. It is always fascinating to hear about how these decisions are made, and what options were considered, and the criteria use to evaluate pros/cons. Intriguing. Demystifying. Seriously.  :pcgs:.

Quote from: Bernie on 02/02/2014, 09:13 AM
Quote from: OldRover on 02/01/2014, 06:16 PMOkay, here's a different shot. I've been ironing out how the initial interface will look, and I think I've just about got it now. Anyway...

/eternal-0032.png

These three enemies use different size types. The first enemy is 64x64, the second is 48x48, and the third is 48x32. 48x32 is the smallest size the game uses.
Man, you have really outdone yourself with this!  Those screens are just beautiful!
AGREED. Absolutely gorgeous!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

Cool sprites, what game are they from?

EDIT: Never mind, found it: http://www.vampiresdawn.org/wp-content/media/gegner/
There are some absolutely beautiful sprites there, true eye candy for pixel artists.

OldRover

Interesting... Vampires Dawn gets some of their sprites from the same source I did... also interestingly enough, they're also using another source I'm using, primarily for my larger sprites. All of the sprites I've shown so far are from RM2... for my larger ones, they are sourced from RM95. Looks like they are using at least three more sources as well, although I don't recognize some of them. I recognize some RM2K sprites in their bestiary. There is a lot of variance of quality there.

For example:
IMG
is from RM2.

IMG
is from RM95.

IMG
is from RM2K.

IMG IMG
are taken from the Phantasy Star series.

IMG
I have no idea where they got this one from. But notice a serious quality difference between that sprite and

IMG
this one.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

_Paul

Haha, yeah that dude is a bit crappy.  There's also a fly in there that looks suspiciously like the one in Phantasy Star (SMS). Not exact, but very close.

OldRover

IMG
This one? :lol:

It was also in PS4. Perhaps it was also in 2 and 3, I don't know. I noticed a few other Phantasy Star sprites too:

IMG IMG IMG
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

_Paul

Yep, looks funny on the white background though.

OldRover

It's one thing to source your sprites from resources intended for indie project work... it's another to rip them from commercial games, not paying any mind at all to quality differences between your various sources. That page makes me sad.

OldRover

Here's an example of why I was selective about my sources:

/harpy.png
/karaliene.png

The left one is RM2, the right one is RM95. The quality is similar. RM2's sprites are drawn more old-school with limited color, whereas RM95's are designed to be used at a higher resolution so they use more colors but often dither a lot. The RM2 Harpy worked very well for where I needed a harpy sprite, but I also needed a harpy queen, Karaliene. The RM95 Harpy worked for that, because it does not use an absurd amount of dithering like most of the RM95 sprites use, and the shadow casting is acceptably similar between the two, although I will likely modify Karaliene's colors to more closely match the normal-sized harpy. If you must source from more than one resource, great care should be taken to ensure continuity. If I had used the RM2K Harpy:

/rm2kharpy.png

it would have severely broken continuity and looked like crap.

Of course, none of this will matter once Josiah's sprites are inserted, since they will all be from one source, and will be made specifically for this game.

(Trivia: karaliene is Latvian for "queen".)

esteban

Quote(Trivia: karaliene is Latvian for "queen".)
Yet one more thing I learned today.  :pcgs:

Xak

Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

clackattack

Any news on this work, or am I kicking a dead horse?
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

OldRover

This is a solo project so I only work on it during times I'm not working on other things. Since I have been sick over the past few days, I've had the opportunity to do more work on it during that time, plus I've made small advances all throughout December. Also, anyone who is my friend or follower on Facebook might have seen that I list completing this game as one of my goals for 2015. There is really nothing new to show off, since most of the work has been on the code side, but I almost have the combat system complete so once that is done, I will probably do a new gameplay video. The new combat system is a bit more animated and way less text-y. It's kind of a cross between Pokémon, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy 6, with some of the style of the first game.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/02/2015, 11:33 AMThis is a solo project so I only work on it during times I'm not working on other things. Since I have been sick over the past few days, I've had the opportunity to do more work on it during that time, plus I've made small advances all throughout December. Also, anyone who is my friend or follower on Facebook might have seen that I list completing this game as one of my goals for 2015. There is really nothing new to show off, since most of the work has been on the code side, but I almost have the combat system complete so once that is done, I will probably do a new gameplay video. The new combat system is a bit more animated and way less text-y. It's kind of a cross between Pokémon, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy 6, with some of the style of the first game.
The new battle system is super effective!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Should we use...

"MS II: ES"

or

"MySo2:ES"

...as shorthand for this project?

MrFulci

I missed the first MS, I was absent during it's release. Wasn't there going to be a reprint of it?
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

Quote from: MrFulci on 01/03/2015, 10:56 AMI missed the first MS, I was absent during it's release. Wasn't there going to be a reprint of it?
The reprint is currently underway. It should be available soon ("soon" can mean a few weeks or a few months).

MrFulci

I noticed after that post, the other MS1 thread, about a delayed shipment. I'll be sure to pick this one up. Not sure when I'll play it through, but I'll have it for when I get the itch for it.

Does MS reference the board, PCEFX, at all? It would be cool, to have an RPG game of sorts, that had all sorts of references to goingingons from here, over the years, hahahaha!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

OldRover

The original MSR did not make any kind of references to this forum, but that's mainly because the original storyline had already been written by someone else and the bonus storyline I wrote was merely an extension of that. MS2:ES is a true sequel that takes place 2 years after the first storyline, and as such, I can add anything I want to it since I have total creative control (within the parameters set by the Creative Director, of course). So, if I want to reference the forum in it (and why not), I can. :D

Also, yes, MSR has a reprint in manufacturing, but the manufacturer fucked around so much that it was delayed multiple times. It was ordered in early October for a late November/early December release, giving a couple of weeks' time for any possible issues, but they fucked around all November and December. When I called them, they said the order hadn't even been fucking finished yet. Hell, the jackass called me back to make sure we didn't want the discs shrinkwrapped because "people usually do that". No, motherfucker, the order says NO SHRINKWRAP, and that's how we want it! So, now our order's been boxed up and queued for shipping. I should have the tracking information on Monday and will keep people in the loop. Last time we use these guys.

As for what to call it... I dunno. Call it ES, MS2ES, ES:MSII, MSII, MS2, MS2:ES, anything but late for dinner. I generally refer to it as MS2: ES and its internal project name is "eternal".

Sarumaru

Very cool! Exciting to see new stuff for our beloved PCE. <3

MrFulci

Rover,

feel free to add my handle somewhere in there, if you want, in MS2.

Myself, I'd be more inclined to play through a homebrew RPG, sooner than later, if I knew it had some in jokes and references there. I know some people hated some stuff Vic Ireland did at Working Designs, when translating, etc, etc... but....

Do some goofy stuff. Nothing too harsh, though. You  could have a NPC you have to collect gold for, to buy an expensive item at a shop, or whatever, to give him , only for him to run off with it, and take it to an auction house?

Playing a straight homebrew RPG game story, ok, cool, but, add some goofy stuff, for the folks buying it... I may the only person who feel this way, but, it's an idea!

Sarumaru

Quote from: MrFulci on 01/03/2015, 09:29 PMRover,

feel free to add my handle somewhere in there, if you want, in MS2.

Myself, I'd be more inclined to play through a homebrew RPG, sooner than later, if I knew it had some in jokes and references there. I know some people hated some stuff Vic Ireland did at Working Designs, when translating, etc, etc... but....

Do some goofy stuff. Nothing too harsh, though. You  could have a NPC you have to collect gold for, to buy an expensive item at a shop, or whatever, to give him , only for him to run off with it, and take it to an auction house?

Playing a straight homebrew RPG game story, ok, cool, but, add some goofy stuff, for the folks buying it... I may the only person who feel this way, but, it's an idea!
I agree. Favorite Cosmic Fantasy 2 quote from a chicken: "Thank you thigh-master" This had me loling...  I was also 12 years old and easily amused but still, this kind of thing is cool.

MrFulci

I don't know what the majority wants, but for such a small audience that buys this title, and actually plays it, wouldn't a, "Spoof" type RPG be fun? RPG, all the way, but... I don't know.. This is all I know!

It may be too late for this sequel... I'm sorry, I'm just trying to get in your world, PCEFXers...

YOU SAID YOU WANTED DRUMSTICK!!!

THIS IS ALL I KNOW!

Bernie

lol, that be neat to make an appearance in a video game.  Neato.  :)

MrFulci

I never played the first Mysterious Song, so I have no idea if any surprises were there.

I just think, since these games are made for such a small audience, why not add some silly, odd stuff.? Not everyone is keen on that, but, I just know it would give me more incentive to play a game through, sooner than later, to see what easter eggs are there. PCEFX has been around a while, so there's enough history to sift through, for fun stuff.

Bernie

Well, if you have never played MSR....  "Have you seen my pussy?".

MrFulci

I was absent from here, during the time that went for sale, then it went OOP when I returned... I'm getting back into the swing of things!

OldRover

I do have a running list of cameos for MS2, though the list is small at the moment. Anyone who wants in can just let me know and I'll add ya to the game. MS2 contains a minigame that can be played by challenging certain NPCs (Lunar: The Silver Star, Final Fantasy 8, and Xenogears all did this, which is where I got the idea from) and I was thinking of using forum members as the specific players of the minigame... of course, any other role is fine as well. :)

jlued686

jlued686 is a perfect name for an NPC. Rolls right off the tongue!

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 01/04/2015, 01:39 PMI do have a running list of cameos for MS2, though the list is small at the moment. Anyone who wants in can just let me know and I'll add ya to the game. MS2 contains a minigame that can be played by challenging certain NPCs (Lunar: The Silver Star, Final Fantasy 8, and Xenogears all did this, which is where I got the idea from) and I was thinking of using forum members as the specific players of the minigame... of course, any other role is fine as well. :)
Esteban thanks you for cameos in the mini-game and in Olde Shoppe (as a barista).

ParanoiaDragon

IIRC, we were going to have a secret dev area in Neutopia 3 with the Frozen Utopians, with our own lil' hubs.  Either that, or I dreamed about it! :D
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: MrFulci on 01/03/2015, 09:29 PMfeel free to add my handle somewhere in there, if you want, in MS2.
You can be the village idiot.  :P

Quote from: Bernie on 01/04/2015, 09:37 AMWell, if you have never played MSR....  "Have you seen my pussy?".
Heh, MSR definitely has its Vic moments.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

o.pwuaioc

Can newbs get placement? My nick is just transliterated Greek for "The Roman".

OldRover

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2015, 11:25 AMYou can be the village idiot.  :P
Sounds fine to me. I hope it doesn't go OOP before I can snag a copy, this time!

I meant to play an RPG in 2014, but didn't get around to it, except for Shadowgate on the NES, which is almost an RPG. RPGs I have to set aside time for, as I know from myself, in the past, I'd spend most of the day, then the following day, and so on, 'til I complete it. They can consume a lot of time. That's part of what makes me put RPGs on hold, and instead play something I can complete in a day!

I did similar with Dungeon Keeper 2 a few years ago, when I thought to myself, "Has it been 10 years since I last beat this?". It had been so long, I forgot that the, "Narrator" would taunt you, if you played the game past 3 or 4am :)

OldRover

The development of the battle system is moving along smoothly.

/eternal-0043.png

NecroPhile

I'm hoping for some animated tiles in the battle backgrounds, subtle stuff like dust motes and Hudson bees in the sun beams.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Psycho Punch

I want to appear on this magnificent obey game!
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

cjameslv

Quote from: guest on 01/08/2015, 09:22 AMI'm hoping for some animated tiles in the battle backgrounds, subtle stuff like dust motes and Hudson bees in the sun beams.  :mrgreen:
Or even the light rays flickering through the trees.

OldRover

If there is room in the battle system for extra effects, I will implement as many as I can. Core functionality always comes first, but I do like to make things as snazzy as I can. :D As with the original Mysterious Song, I store a lot of graphics data in the map program so they don't use up space in the battle program... that gives me plenty of extra space. I can use that space to add some visual effects. The only thing Mysterious Song had for special battle effects was the animated torches in the caves and the trippy background in the true final battle. The cave background in Eternal Silence will also have animated torches, but I also want to see if I can add things like moving clouds, maybe some birds flying by, and weather effects.

Dicer

Any small nods or touches will be awesome, I like the think of the people into the PCE/TG16 as a sort of special group and it's nice to see the efforts made by people to keep things going...

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 01/08/2015, 12:04 PMI want to appear on this magnificent obey game!
I too want Punch to appear on all up in this magnificent obey game!
IMG

Psycho Punch

Make sure you don't proofread my NPC's dialogue(s) in the game!
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

spenoza

What priority is being given to enemy animations and effects for player and enemy attacks? My curiosity compels me to ask...