RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

New off-screen gameplay footage of Strider on PlayStation 4

Started by handygrafx, 01/25/2014, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handygrafx

Be sure to turn up YouTube's resolution to 1080p

The game is being developed by Double Helix Games and Capcom's Osaka studio for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC.

QuotePlot:

The game is considered a retelling of the first arcade Strider game with elements from the NES console game. As in the arcade classic game the story tells how the Strider organization sends their best assassin Strider Hiryu to kill the villain, Grandmaster, Meio in Kazakh City
QuoteDevelopment:

In 2009, a Strider reboot was in development by Grin. However, due to financial difficulties that bankrupted the company, the game was cancelled.

Development of the 2014 game was made possible thanks to the series' popularity especially in thanks to Capcom's surveys and forums.  Strider was announced by Capcom in July 2013 during the San Diego Comic-Con.  Capcom found Studio Helix could work well with their Osaka studio which is handling the character designs and game design.

Producers from the game commented they wanted to make the classic Strider games less linear and expand their length to satisfy current generation's players. Due to the character's popularity, developers want him to retain all of his abilities from the first and second Strider games but at the same time encourage the players to obtain new skills in order to progress and provide more variety.

This was how the team had the idea of giving Cypher the power to change forms. Additionally, the team wanted to contrast other games that start with the character completely powered up just to remove most of his skills in the game's beginning.

Kouichi Yotsui, also known as "Isuke" and original designer of the first arcade version of Strider, is not involved in the development of the 2014 game but gave his blessing by giving his prayers to Capcom USA.

One of the staff's main influences is the video game Shadow Complex as producer Andrew Szymanski as wanted Strider to imitate the game's balance between the combat and the speed and sort of the exploratory elements. The action in the reboot is eight times faster than in the original game which makes the balance one of the staff's greatest challenges. Hiryu's appearances in the Marvel vs. Capcom series also influenced the character's gameplay mechanics.

The game's soundtrack is set to feature multiple homages to classic Strider themes but with several modifications. The sound quality is also meant to resemble the ones from the classic games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strider_(2014_video_game)

videos from 2013

-Gameplay trailers:
-Developer commentry with IGN:
-Annouce trailer:

PukeSter

Doesn't look too bad.

I wonder why the screen is so far zoomed out though.

Joe Redifer

I don't see anything that the PS3 or even the Gamecube couldn't do (except for maybe the rendered resolution on the latter). The gusts of snow look awful, like a cheap downloadable indie game.

PukeSter

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/25/2014, 09:09 PMI don't see anything that the PS3 or even the Gamecube couldn't do (except for maybe the rendered resolution on the latter). The gusts of snow look awful, like a cheap downloadable indie game.
It is a downloadable game, on ps4, ps3, Xbox one and 360.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 01/25/2014, 10:18 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/25/2014, 09:09 PMI don't see anything that the PS3 or even the Gamecube couldn't do (except for maybe the rendered resolution on the latter). The gusts of snow look awful, like a cheap downloadable indie game.
It is a downloadable game, on ps4, ps3, Xbox one and 360.
IIRC, it's download only for PS4, but recall hearing there would also be a physical copy for PS3, or atleast in Japan there will be.
IMG

handygrafx

I think this new Strider looks pretty good for a budget download game.

I'll get the PS4 version on PSN when it's out in NA.

Opethian

Capcom means that  all the levels will be DLC and all powerups will cost real moneys
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: Opethian on 01/27/2014, 09:54 AMCapcom means that  all the levels will be DLC and all powerups will cost real moneys
You joke but I doubt no one would shit themselves if it actually happened.

geise

lol new strider.  They did Strider 2.  It was awful.  Why do another one? Would be awesome if it was going to be a great game, but with a dl only budget i doubt will be all great.  I would love to be wrong though.

PukeSter

Quote from: geise on 01/27/2014, 03:25 PMlol new strider.  They did Strider 2.  It was awful.  Why do another one? Would be awesome if it was going to be a great game, but with a dl only budget i doubt will be all great.  I would love to be wrong though.
Strider 2 didn't have the original designer. I want to play it though.

Mathius

I keep forgetting to pick up Strider 2 on the PS1. I played it in the arcade but didn't spend much time with it.

handygrafx

Strider now has a release date, at least in Europe.

QuoteThe new Strider game launches across Europe on 19th February, Capcom has announced.

That's on PlayStation Network for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, Xbox Live for Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and Steam for PC. It costs £11.99.
It also has a speed run mode

QuoteMeanwhile, two new challenge modes have been announced for the side-scrolling action platformer. Beacon Run is a speed run style race mode in which you have to hit consecutive checkpoints in the shortest amount of time. Survival Mode tests your skill with different item and ability loadouts against increasingly difficult waves of enemies.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-05-strider-release-date-new-modes-announced

Mzo

The only physical release this game is getting is for the PS3 in Japan.

Supposedly the game runs better on the modern machines, 1080p and 60 FPS on both the PS4 and the Xbone.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

PukeSter

$15 seems a tad high...but if reviews are good...

Either I'll get this on 360, or wait till I get a One, which would be a while...

Radtastic89

I'm really excited for this game. I remember playing Strider on the PS1 with my friends. It was a really fun game at the time. I'm hoping that this one is similar to that one.

TheClash603

I have a hole burning in my XB1 virtual pocket.  I won $50 at a Microsoft launch day event, this is where it will be spent.

handygrafx

I shall purchase & download the PS4 version, as soon as it drops on the North American PSN / PlayStation Store.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SmaMan

I wonder if they'll take those HYAA! noises out whenever Hiryu uses his sword when they bring it over to the states. Y'know, like they've done every other time they've localized it.
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.
http://kacu.org/programs/eye-entertainment

Mathius

Quote from: SmaMan on 02/10/2014, 12:36 AMI wonder if they'll take those HYAA! noises out whenever Hiryu uses his sword when they bring it over to the states. Y'know, like they've done every other time they've localized it.
I find those hyaa noises annoying just like when Link swings his sword in the GBA Link to the Past. It's better off without IMO.

handygrafx

-Strider is confirmed to be 60fps + native 1080p on both PS4 and Xbox One.

-On PS3 and Xbox 360, Strider will be 30fps,  720p

(?) It sounds like there will be, apparently (don't quote me on this) some exclusive content for the Japanese retail disc (I assume that means PS4,  but not sure if that means both PS4 and PS3). 

(?) The exclusive content is not coming to NA on any platform, as for now.

-PS4 version supports Remote Play on PS Vita (fuck yeah!!)

sources
http://www.capcom-unity.com/strider/go/thread/view/146663/30198939/strider-live-view-producer-qa-thursday-213-6-7pm-pt?pg=1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768857
http://gamingbolt.com/strider-will-run-at-1080p60fps-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-exclusive-content-not-coming-to-north-america

The Capcom Unity forums just had a live Q&A with the producers, which you can read now.

munchiaz

^ pretty nice news. Still a lil on the fence due to double helix. But its shaping up to be awesome

handygrafx

Yeah, I'm also not sure what to make of Double Helix' involvement in the development process, but so far, this new Strider seems much more appealing to me than the Strider Hiryu 2 / Strider 2 arcade and PS1 game that came out in 1999, 2000.

handygrafx

Stolen directly from the OT on GAF

QuoteThe Japanese release has a retail version that comes with digital copies of Strider 1 and 2. It also has a special edition that comes with a bunch of other stuff.
QuoteThe physical PlayStation 3 version of the 2014 Strider, including all its extras: a custom "Strider" PS3 theme, a special video interview with the first game's director Kouichi Yotsui, and download codes for the "Game Archives" version of "Strider Hiryu 1&2.

"Special Box" - a storage box with cover artwork done by veteran Mega Man artist Ryuji Higurashi.

"Strider Hiryu Visual Chronicle" - An 80-pages artwork compilation including art pieces from Strider,

Strider 2 and the new Strider, as well as unpublished material from the cancelled Famicom Strider.

The cover art is done by the Capcom artist known as "Tamio" (たみお).

"Strider Hiryu Sound Chronicle" - A 3-CD soundtrack compilation of all three Strider games. The soundtrack for the first Strider includes the full fixed soundtrack extracted from the "Resale Version" (再販版) sound board, plus an unused track ("4Stage Start 3") from the Arcade and a bonus track with music from the Sharp X68000 port of the game. Cover art done by Tamio.

"Instruction Card & Sticker Set" - The stickers and instruction material used in the Arcade cabinets for the first Strider and Strider 2.

"Pocket Spread Clear File" - Includes the Special Box and Visual Chronicle cover artworks.

"Mask" - A crimson Hiryu-like facemask with the "Hi" kanji sewed on its side.

"Badge" - The chest badge with the red "Hi" kanji seen in Hiryu's new design. It comes with a writing from the game's art director, Sho Sakai.
Geezus that's a lot....Everything except the SuperGrafx prototype!

geise

Lies!  No Arcade Card Strider! 

In all seriousness that is pretty nice.  I find it kind of odd that the ps3 and 360 couldn't do this game at 60 fps in 720p.  Probably more like they were told to do that so it would make the new next gen systems seem way more impressive.

Mathius

Quote from: geise on 02/16/2014, 05:51 PMLies!  No Arcade Card Strider! 

In all seriousness that is pretty nice.  I find it kind of odd that the ps3 and 360 couldn't do this game at 60 fps in 720p.  Probably more like they were told to do that so it would make the new next gen systems seem way more impressive.
Probably true.

This all makes me wish I had a Japanese PS3. :(

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Mathius on 02/16/2014, 08:18 PM

Probably true.

Isn't the PS3 region free?  Perhaps there might be a game or 2 that doesn't work on it, but generally speaking, I would think it'd work just fine on a US PS3?
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/16/2014, 10:00 PM

Probably true.

Isn't the PS3 region free?  Perhaps there might be a game or 2 that doesn't work on it, but generally speaking, I would think it'd work just fine on a US PS3?
It is? I had no idea.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Mathius on 02/16/2014, 11:00 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/16/2014, 10:00 PM

Probably true.

It is? I had no idea.
"All PlayStation 3 games except for one are region free.[4][5] Even though publishers could choose to region-lock specific games based on a mechanism that allows for the game to query the model of the PS3, none did so during the first six years after the launch of PS3.[6] The first game to be region-locked on PS3 is Persona 4 Arena;[7] publisher Atlus declined to reverse its decision despite substantial outcry by some of their fanbase. The decision was made to avoid excessive importing, because all versions of the game share the same features and language support, but have differing price points and release dates in each region. Way of the Samurai 3 is also region-locked but only on Slim models. There is region locking for backwards-compatible PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, as well as DVD and Blu-ray Disc movies"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

If they don't release a physical version here, I may pick up the Jp version.
IMG

Mathius

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and scored a physical copy off Play-Asia for $42 plus shipping just in case they don't go physical. Anyone know if these digital download vouchers I am getting with the game will work over here?

ParanoiaDragon

For digital download stuff, you probably need to access the Japanese PSN & maybe set up a Jp PSN account.  I've never done it though, so I'm not sure.  I seem to recall hearing people buy games(including PC Engine games) off the Jp PSN, but I don't know if you can have a US account & a JP one??
IMG

IrishNinja

^oh man, i really do want the physical version but hearing that 1 + 2 are digi is a bummer.  i'd love to see pics of the mask, art book & theme though!
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

handygrafx

I'd like the Japan physical retail PS3 release, but at present I don't even have a North American PS3 console, only the PS4. 

Not only that but I cannot justify spending more money on an import PS3 retail release of Strider when it is half the framerate of the PS4 version not to mention 720p.

So PS4 version, tomorrow, here I come.

Besides, I'm trying to save up for an OLED PS VITA before they're totally replaced with the LCD -2000 model which has been officially announced for NA release this spring.

CrackTiger

The digital downloads of Strider 1 & 2 might be region locked since they are emulating region locked games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

munchiaz

you would need a Japanese PSN account to access the DLC on a Japanese game. But creating a Japanese PSN account is easy. There are videos online that will walk you through it

handygrafx

PSN versions should be released @ 2 PM PST today in NA, but also read that the 360, XBone versions won't versions won't be out until the 19th, tomorrow on XBLA.

On a side note, in general, it sure as shit is confusing trying to not get confused by all the different consoles / territories / online services / time zones.

Last but not least, launch trailer: Strider -- Launch Trailer

Schwing!

handygrafx

Whoa 

Strider just got released on the PS4's PSN store literally within the last few minutes.

Downloading now  :mrgreen:

roflmao

Holy cow that looks like a game I'd suck at.

It's pretty though. :)

geise

Quote from: guest on 02/17/2014, 01:04 PMThe digital downloads of Strider 1 & 2 might be region locked since they are emulating region locked games.
PSN games are locked to whatever account you are signed in with.  System region makes no difference.  I have a Japanese psn account for japanese psn stuff and a US psn account on the same system.  You just have to be signed in to what ever account you downloaded from to play.

GohanX

I've got two accounts as well, but I don't have to sign in to the Asian account to play the games, I only need to do it to download them.

geise

I decided with no next gen system to purchase the new Strider through Steam.  Glad I did since it runs at a nice 60 fps like the ps4 and xboxone.  It's actually better than I  thought it would be.  I like it a lot more than Strider 2.  I really didn't care for Strider 2.