10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?

Started by Otaking, 02/21/2014, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignOfZeta

Quote from: GohanX on 05/23/2017, 08:42 PMFuck yo mama, 3do has some good shit. It's better than a PCFX at any rate.
That is the lowest praise possible for a system. I'm pretty sure it's true, but it isn't saying much.
IMG

goldenband

Quote from: Mathius on 05/21/2017, 07:41 PMMost 3DO long boxes were their own thing. Kinda a mesh between "true" PS1 longboxes and early two-piece cardboard PC boxes. Other one-piece 3DO boxes resembled those of early music CD packaging and were far less durable. Both were way too tall.
I think there were something like 4-5 different styles. One FAQ-type document lists them as:

1 = Snap Case boxes
 2 = Clam style boxes
 3 = Long Box w/ Jewel case and inserts
 4 = Long Box w/ JC or CB holders and 1 or NO inserts
 6 = Pull off top box style

5 = Jewel cases, BTW. Also, all of the 3DO longboxes I've seen -- regardless of type -- are substantially thicker than music CD longboxes were.

Also, I like my 3DO! -- but then again, I'm fond of early 3D gaming in general. (Not the N64 so much, though, since it gives me motion sickness/simulation sickness.)

Mathius

^^ I love my 3DO. It was my introduction to 32-bit gaming. The first time I saw Crash and Burn at a local HH Gregg is something I'll never forget.

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2017, 10:06 PM
Quote from: GohanX on 05/23/2017, 08:42 PMFuck yo mama, 3do has some good shit. It's better than a PCFX at any rate.
That is the lowest praise possible for a system. I'm pretty sure it's true, but it isn't saying much.
Yes, as is any praise that begins with "fuck yo moma." Terms of endearment fo sho. =D>
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

HuMan

Who cares if TG16 prices never come down? If the games are what matter, then stick with an Everdrive and a pack of CD-Rs. I had a TG16 back around 2010, this was before the Everdrive got made. There was no hope for a CD drive either, not with a TG16. The lack of affordable games made me sell the TG16.

Ever since going with a PC Engine Duo and the aforementioned Everdrive and CD-Rs, I can finally play some PCE games as intended. I also have a plain white PCE because it's badass.

spenoza

Quote from: HuMan on 05/24/2017, 12:45 AMEver since going with a PC Engine Duo and the aforementioned Everdrive and CD-Rs, I can finally play some PCE games as intended. I also have a plain white PCE because it's badass.
But the CDRs wil reck UR system, bro! I no this Bcuz the internets told me!

Alt-Nintega

I just bid 20 dollars on world court tennis hucard only and lost. no signs of price crash

bob

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 05/25/2017, 09:52 PMI just bid 20 dollars on world court tennis hucard only and lost. no signs of price crash
final match is way better anyway.  get that for under $10.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 05/25/2017, 09:52 PMI just bid 20 dollars on world court tennis hucard only and lost. no signs of price crash
People are buying WCT on eBay for 1/4 - 1/3 of what Karl Marx wants to throw money away on, eight more people also paid less and a sealed copy ended with the highest bid at $6.

Although this means the crash is here, you can thank Karl for trying to to artificially inflate the market just to pwn us naysayers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=world+court+tennis+turbografx&_sop=15

Also worth noting: there aren't any auctions for WCT in eBay's history which ended for more than $20. So Karl must be spelling the title wrong or talking out his ass (or gets his world perspective from spending all of his time only on here and Game Gavel).
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

shubibiman

Man, that's way too much for this game ! I got a complete copy (ie with storyfoam, cardboard box) for that price.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/25/2017, 10:41 PMAlso worth noting: there aren't any auctions for WCT in eBay's history which ended for more than $20. So Karl must be spelling the title wrong or talking out his ass (or gets his world perspective from spending all of his time only on here and Game Gavel).
Being a lying troll POS is his modus operandi.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

gheebee

When I bought my region modded Core Grafx from HKGameDoctor on ebay there was an almost CIB (missing sleeve for HuCard) copy of WCT in the box marked "Free Gift" with it when it arrived.

Winniez

For PC-Engine its a 5-10 dollar game complete. And not a very good one at that. Unless the US Turbo prices have gone insane 20usd for a loose card is excessive. And its not that good game to begit with, propably the worst Tennis game on PC-Engine to be honest.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, I think I paid 50 yen for my copy.
IMG

StarDust4Ever

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: NecroPhile on 05/26/2017, 09:31 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/25/2017, 10:41 PMAlso worth noting: there aren't any auctions for WCT in eBay's history which ended for more than $20. So Karl must be spelling the title wrong or talking out his ass (or gets his world perspective from spending all of his time only on here and Game Gavel).
worst moderator. one of reasons this forum is dead. The fuck just harasses people. World Court has many listings ended at over 20 dollars. Go fuck yourself!!!!

wiseau

i just don't see the prices going down, if some of the rumors about resellers destroying copies of games to raise prices and stuff turns out to be true, anyways.

Mathius

Quote from: wiseau on 06/01/2017, 09:27 PMi just don't see the prices going down, if some of the rumors about resellers destroying copies of games to raise prices and stuff turns out to be true, anyways.
I've not heard of this. It'd be simpler and more profitable for them to just seal them away for a decade and slowly reintroduce them in a way that won't get detected.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 06/01/2017, 09:15 PM
worst moderator. one of reasons this forum is dead. The fuck just harasses people. World Court has many listings ended at over 20 dollars. Go fuck yourself!!!!
On eBay? Links or STFU.

If BT's stalking/research is correct then you are a total fucking liar, and rather than confess or shut up you just defended your lie with another lie.

If he's wrong, prove it. If you just paid so much for this game, where is the link to the auction for the game you just bought?
IMG

CrackTiger

The only ones were Buy-It-Now.

If this link works for you as I was able to copy and paste it, it shows all SOLD auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_Auction=1&_nkw=turbografx+world+court+tennis&_sop=15

A new auction has since been listed since my previous post, as you can see by the end date and did indeed get bid up to $21.50.

Unlike Karl's fantasy loose copy which "sold" for over $20, this one was New!/Sealed.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gentlegamer

He's only the worst because he hasn't banned and doxxed you yet.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: wiseau on 06/01/2017, 09:27 PMi just don't see the prices going down, if some of the rumors about resellers destroying copies of games to raise prices and stuff turns out to be true, anyways.
Is there evidence for this? Most gaming examples I have heard of destroying merch was corporate directives, and a few examples in other hobbies. I can see tossing worthless crap like 90s baseball cards, but not valuable games.

wiseau

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/02/2017, 04:02 AM
Is there evidence for this? Most gaming examples I have heard of destroying merch was corporate directives, and a few examples in other hobbies. I can see tossing worthless crap like 90s baseball cards, but not valuable games.
never found any evidence, but the rumor was someone, possibly from NA, bought out as many copies as they could find of a common Gameboy game and destroyed them to increase the price, as a sort of experiment.

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: wiseau on 06/02/2017, 05:26 AMnever found any evidence, but the rumor was someone, possibly from NA, bought out as many copies as they could find of a common Gameboy game and destroyed them to increase the price, as a sort of experiment.
It was Rampart for Gameboy. Uncommon but relatively cheap. Person in question bought every copy on eBay until the price exceeded $20, and no the games were not destroyed but released back into the market over time for a modest profit. Pat did a video regarding this cause and effect. Also some collectors or resellers occasionally hoard dozens or even hundreds of copies a specific game title for whatever reason, and this can wreak havok with game stores when such a hoarde gets traded in. I think Pat did another video on that. I personally knew a collector in Plano Tx who had 400 copies of Dragon Warrior I think. He even showed me the crates he stored them in. The Mario/Duck Hunt 2-in-1 hoarding caused it to go from a 10 cent game to being $10 because at one time this game was so cheap and common, people used them to make art projects like coffee tables and such.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/01/2017, 10:30 PMHe's only the worst because he hasn't banned and doxxed you yet.
I'd love to ban the jackhole; and if it's a troll alt for someone else's normal account, them too.  That's the type of shit we don't need, but there's no rules against being liars, trolls, or otherwise useless pieces of trash, so I'd end up with Nulltard and other DoxPhilers crying that I'm a nazi or some such nonsense.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

I'm not ban happy at all and generally favor almost totally unregulated forums. However, I'd ban him. He contributes nothing to the forum and lies right to our faces...antagonistically, out of the blue. Nobody asked for his made up facts, he just shoves them at us. If he lies about eBay like this, how can he be trusted to buy and sell here? He's demonstrably full of shit.

If it were a genuine idiological conflict I would never suggest banning, this guy is just a useless collectarded liar.
IMG

johnnykonami

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/02/2017, 06:59 AM
Quote from: wiseau on 06/02/2017, 05:26 AMnever found any evidence, but the rumor was someone, possibly from NA, bought out as many copies as they could find of a common Gameboy game and destroyed them to increase the price, as a sort of experiment.
It was Rampart for Gameboy. Uncommon but relatively cheap. Person in question bought every copy on eBay until the price exceeded $20, and no the games were not destroyed but released back into the market over time for a modest profit. Pat did a video regarding this cause and effect. Also some collectors or resellers occasionally hoard dozens or even hundreds of copies a specific game title for whatever reason, and this can wreak havok with game stores when such a hoarde gets traded in. I think Pat did another video on that. I personally knew a collector in Plano Tx who had 400 copies of Dragon Warrior I think. He even showed me the crates he stored them in. The Mario/Duck Hunt 2-in-1 hoarding caused it to go from a 10 cent game to being $10 because at one time this game was so cheap and common, people used them to make art projects like coffee tables and such.
Huh, as a avid GB collector, I hadn't heard of this.  Usually a game is cheap because it's undesirable, all the best/popular games are always sold for more. (nothing against rampart) I just wonder if you bought a bunch of cheapo games, even if you hung on to them for several years, would people be interested in buying them any more then than they were originally?  Is it simply that it's considered more collectable after this point?  Assuming you are talking about the original gray cart, I just checked it out on ebay and it's selling for $55 and of course, labeled as 'rare'.

bob

i dont think its an "alt" of a current member, and i doubt one of the 6 DoxPhilers.  they dont really have the animosity towards the forum that people assume.  with the way marx spews misguided venom towards this place and defends high prices, i would say its a previous banned member.  my money is on storino.  thats been my guess all along.

TheClash603

Quote from: johnnykonami on 06/02/2017, 10:55 AM
Huh, as a avid GB collector, I hadn't heard of this.  Usually a game is cheap because it's undesirable, all the best/popular games are always sold for more. (nothing against rampart) I just wonder if you bought a bunch of cheapo games, even if you hung on to them for several years, would people be interested in buying them any more then than they were originally?  Is it simply that it's considered more collectable after this point?  Assuming you are talking about the original gray cart, I just checked it out on ebay and it's selling for $55 and of course, labeled as 'rare'.
It depends if the system the game is on is popular amongst set collectors or not.  If common shitty game X becomes the sole game keeping seveal hundred set collectors from their last piece, common shitty game X will become uncommon hidden gem expensive game X.

Due to the huge size of the Gameboy library, I imagine the act of creating game scarcity and price manipulation is low.  If you were to try the same type of thing with TG16 or Virtual Boy or a smaller sized set, I am sure one person could make a game's price move.  All you would need to do is pick a game with less than 10 listings at most times and constantly win each copy posted.

Mario / Duck Hunt doesn't seem like a good example where this would be possible.

P.S. - Don't do this.

StarDust4Ever

It's $55 now? Wow. Pat explained it better than I could have.
This was a calculated experiment by a collector attempting to corner the market and drive up the price of a specific title, and it worked.

CrackTiger

If you're talking about the original gray cart of Rampart, available BINs are much less than that and the only copies anyone has bothered to actually buy were a BIN for $15 and an auction which only received a single bid of $8.

seieienbu

I listened to that story about the black and white Gameboy version of Rampart.  Yes, the price seems to have gone down now, but it doesn't change the fact that one single seller was able to single handedly increase the price on the ebay market.  Ebay being ebay, prices don't exactly revert to the same rate that it was before this guy's experiment very quickly.  It seems like as soon as a price reaches a new ceiling, every seller assumes that new high price is the actual price point.  One idiot buys something at a high price and afterward nobody well sell for less.

Even as the ebay price falls, there are still long standing ramifications to this in other locations.  Recently I saw a copy in a retro game store with a price tag of $35.  That game at that price is absolutely ridiculous.  No, I don't think that it will Ever sell for that much but at the very least I feel this is strong (albeit nonscientific and a bit anecdotal) evidence that one profiteering jerk can create an artificial scarcity on his own to influence the market for monopolistic price fixing purposes which would never be legal on a large scale.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/04/2017, 07:27 PMEven as the ebay price falls, there are still long standing ramifications to this in other locations.  Recently I saw a copy in a retro game store with a price tag of $35.  That game at that price is absolutely ridiculous.  No, I don't think that it will Ever sell for that much but at the very least I feel this is strong (albeit nonscientific and a bit anecdotal) evidence that one profiteering jerk can create an artificial scarcity on his own to influence the market for monopolistic price fixing purposes which would never be legal on a large scale.
How would that be illegal? Free market capitalism, bidges! :-({|=

CrackTiger

There are laws against price fixing, monopolies and variations of market manipulation, but they are rarely enforced.

SignOfZeta

On a large scale, the manipulation of commodities, price fixing, etc can get you decades in prison. On the small scale there is no penalty. Morally there is no difference.
IMG

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/04/2017, 11:48 PMOn a large scale, the manipulation of commodities, price fixing, etc can get you decades in prison. On the small scale there is no penalty. Morally there is no difference.
Considering one obscure game was selected as an experiment and intent was not to tarnish the entire market, I don't think there was ill intent here.

SignOfZeta

I'm not saying the guy belongs in jail or anything, but "ill intent" seems exactly what he was going for, although mostly for curiosity's sake, not for any real gain.

FWIW, plenty of people have gone to jail for price fixing who never intended to "ruin the entire market". I'm pretty sure most would fall into that catagory. They usually don't want to ruin anything, or even do anything detectable, they just want to make a mint off of whatever they can manipulate.

Scale is everything.
IMG

esteban

I don't want to ruin my long-term investment plans, but I have been purchasing every copy of Keith Courage for the past decade. I even won a KC In the raffles here at pcefx.

THE FEW TIMES I lost a raffle, I would PM the winner and offer top dollar to purchase it.

Once I acquire the remaining copies of KC and I am golden.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

johnnykonami

Quote from: TheClash603 on 06/02/2017, 06:52 PMIt depends if the system the game is on is popular amongst set collectors or not.  If common shitty game X becomes the sole game keeping seveal hundred set collectors from their last piece, common shitty game X will become uncommon hidden gem expensive game X.

Due to the huge size of the Gameboy library, I imagine the act of creating game scarcity and price manipulation is low.  If you were to try the same type of thing with TG16 or Virtual Boy or a smaller sized set, I am sure one person could make a game's price move.  All you would need to do is pick a game with less than 10 listings at most times and constantly win each copy posted.

Mario / Duck Hunt doesn't seem like a good example where this would be possible.

P.S. - Don't do this.
No worries, too much effort anyway!  I was just saying to my friend that even if I had stashed a couple Earthbounds or Panzer Dragoon Saga's and made 2-300 each, that's still a pretty dinky profit over a 10/15 year period.  It's nothing to scoff at, of course, but you'd made more money at a minimum wage job than sitting on and reselling hard to find games.

Quote from: guest on 06/02/2017, 07:09 PMIf you're talking about the original gray cart of Rampart, available BINs are much less than that and the only copies anyone has bothered to actually buy were a BIN for $15 and an auction which only received a single bid of $8.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that was the average price, just that particular auction must have been affected by the above mentioned experiment.  I'd never pay more than a dollar or two for that particular game myself.

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: johnnykonami on 06/05/2017, 10:36 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 06/02/2017, 06:52 PMIt depends if the system the game is on is popular amongst set collectors or not.  If common shitty game X becomes the sole game keeping seveal hundred set collectors from their last piece, common shitty game X will become uncommon hidden gem expensive game X.

P.S. - Don't do this.
No worries, too much effort anyway!  I was just saying to my friend that even if I had stashed a couple Earthbounds or Panzer Dragoon Saga's and made 2-300 each, that's still a pretty dinky profit over a 10/15 year period.  It's nothing to scoff at, of course, but you'd made more money at a minimum wage job than sitting on and reselling hard to find games.

Quote from: guest on 06/02/2017, 07:09 PMIf you're talking about the original gray cart of Rampart, available BINs are much less than that and the only copies anyone has bothered to actually buy were a BIN for $15 and an auction which only received a single bid of $8.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that was the average price, just that particular auction must have been affected by the above mentioned experiment.  I'd never pay more than a dollar or two for that particular game myself.
Earthbound is a terrible example. It has an R4 rarity and sells for R7 prices. Goto nintendoage.com, find an R6 or R7 with low "loose" price on pricecharting, and use that for your market manipulation. Don't even bother with stuff that plateaued years ago...

bob

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/05/2017, 10:18 PM

P.S. - Don't do this.

Earthbound is a terrible example. It has an R4 rarity and sells for R7 prices. Goto nintendoage.com, find an R6 or R7 with low "loose" price on pricecharting, and use that for your market manipulation. Don't even bother with stuff that plateaued years ago...
L  O  fucking L

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: gynt on 06/05/2017, 10:19 PM
Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/05/2017, 10:18 PM

P.S. - Don't do this.

L  O  fucking L
Look at the historic prices of Earthbound and compare it to other games that sell at equal prices today. Most of them were far, far cheaper in 2008 than they are now. Earthbound hasn't inflated much at all by comparison. Just find a cheap uncommon title that hasn't spiked yet and corner the market on it.

Turbo games are a bad idea since they are in general far less common than NES, SNES, Genesis titles, so most games have already spiked. PCE games may be a good market to corner as more American gamers jump onto the import bandwagon.

Gredler

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: Gredler on 06/06/2017, 01:07 AMGood market to corner
Unlike Southpark's underpants gnomes, this 5 step plan does not contain ??? marks. In fact, it would be a bit like playing the stock market. Buy enough of a specific stock and price inflates, then sell it back, aka "pump and dump." Same principal with game commodities.

#1: Search on eBay and buy up all existing copies of a specific cheap PCe game that sells top dollar for the Turbo equivalent.
#2: Watch as prices skyrocket.
#3: Slowly release PCe games back into the market.
#4: Profit.
#5: Pick another game and return to step #1.
 :-"

johnnykonami

I just pulled Earthbound out of my hat, I'm not gonna become an ebay price gouger so I haven't done any research on maximum profitability or anything.

LostFlunky

Quote from: johnnykonami on 06/06/2017, 10:28 AMI just pulled Earthbound out of my hat, I'm not gonna become an ebay price gouger so I haven't done any research on maximum profitability or anything.
Shit - I was going to do a dissertation on Earthbound profitability through the year 2025...  Oh well...

CrackTiger

B.S. like rarity ratings and guides are a large contributor to the gouging, collectard, etc problem.

Remember when someone "proved" that Magical Chase was a mail-order-only game, only available in the U.S. and after only a handful of people bothered to order it, TTi shutdown and 99% of the already small production run was crushed, incinerated and buried during a legal ceremony?

johnnykonami

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 06/06/2017, 10:40 AM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 06/06/2017, 10:28 AMI just pulled Earthbound out of my hat, I'm not gonna become an ebay price gouger so I haven't done any research on maximum profitability or anything.
Shit - I was going to do a dissertation on Earthbound profitability through the year 2025...  Oh well...
Sounds like I saved you some time and effort!

bob

Quote from: guest on 06/06/2017, 11:07 AMB.S. like rarity ratings and guides are a large contributor to the gouging, collectard, etc problem.

Remember when someone "proved" that Magical Chase was a mail-order-only game, only available in the U.S. and after only a handful of people bothered to order it, TTi shutdown and 99% of the already small production run was crushed, incinerated and buried during a legal ceremony?
the "R4/R7/etc" crap is what i was laughing at.

Gypsy

Quote from: gynt on 06/06/2017, 11:37 AM
Quote from: guest on 06/06/2017, 11:07 AMB.S. like rarity ratings and guides are a large contributor to the gouging, collectard, etc problem.

the "R4/R7/etc" crap is what i was laughing at.
Just completely fucking stupid tbh. And NA wonders why they are disliked.