RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

4" Screen Source

Started by wolfman, 02/26/2014, 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Looking for a screen source, need a 3.8-4 inch diagonal screen with controller board, with a composite input.

Tried searching the internet, but didn´t find a matching size/input compatible piece of hardware.

Has someone probably got a good idea where to look for (not Ebay/Amazon)?
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

thesteve

Ya sure 4.2" won't work? 2

wolfman

Quote from: thesteve on 02/26/2014, 03:27 PMYa sure 4.2" won't work? 2
Well, the "car rearview" screens 4:3/16:9 are too small - I already have one in my LT. But it doesn´t fit the original window (2/3 of original size only). Would be nice having one fitting in near to perfection, since the original one was dead when I bought it....
CryptoCoin Warrior

wolfman

Quote from: nullity on 02/26/2014, 04:30 PM
Quote from: wolfman on 02/26/2014, 03:46 PM
Quote from: thesteve on 02/26/2014, 03:27 PMYa sure 4.2" won't work? 2
Well, the "car rearview" screens 4:3/16:9 are too small - I already have one in my LT. But it doesn´t fit the original window (2/3 of original size only). Would be nice having one fitting in near to perfection, since the original one was dead when I bought it....
Beauty is only chassis deep... we still want pics!
Ok, here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65709578@N06/12800950695/#

Screen mod is from a 3.5" car rearview (same as 4.3, but 4:3 instead of 16:9). Since both types are similar in screen height (only 4.3 is bigger in width) neither one is bigger in terms of actual screen size - PCE is only using 4:3 size, in fact even less.

As you can see from the pic its around 1/3 smaller than the original screen was (light grey frame ). There´s around 1cm on every side missing...making it too small for my taste....
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

Which model of screen did you use?

wolfman

Quote from: deubeul on 02/27/2014, 03:15 AMWhich model of screen did you use?
None in particular...since they´re basically all the same, just rebranded and repackaged. You wouldn´t tell from the picture, as they don´t match with the photo on the package nor with the one from the seller on Ebay. But they do accept composite - I wouldn´t count on RGB...at least I didn´t look for it on the controller board (which is pretty tiny).
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

I'm asking because none of the two different models (with different controllers) works on my GTs or PcE/CGXs. And there are tons of different motherboards even in the same model:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17651&start=75

What i have is freezed image turning all white with one, and good image but continuously scrolling vertically with the other.

So each time i see someone with a working model, i ask. Did you do the 6260 composite mod? or did you built a RGB/composite converter?

wolfman

Quote from: deubeul on 02/27/2014, 07:23 AMI'm asking because none of the two different models (with different controllers) works on my GTs or PcE/CGXs. And there are tons of different motherboards even in the same model:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17651&start=75

What i have is freezed image turning all white with one, and good image but continuously scrolling vertically with the other.

So each time i see someone with a working model, i ask. Did you do the 6260 composite mod? or did you built a RGB/composite converter?
First, I wouldnt play on the controller board if I don´t have a clue what to do or know which part I could easily remove. I knew that they would accept between 9-12V at least, and from my experience even 6V are no problem - depends on the revision.

Did you do a video mod to it? Why aren´t you trying an Adafruit? Afaik they accept Composite/RGB. If you´re into Raspberry, I´d give them a tryj...

I by myself tested the car display if it would accept a plain PAL composite signal (since seller claimed it would accept both), which worked fine, then I tested with my PCE, which also worked. It woulnt however accept Vout from the exp port. So I tapped from either one of the 9V jacks, so that the display would always receive power.

That was it.

If you´re getting a vertical movement - are you sure you didn´t tap sync instead of composite? If I remember correctly both pins are on the opposite of each other...eg if you look from the wrong side you don´t get the right signal....just my 2 cents.

From what I know now I would advise against the cheap boards...yes they are cheap, but finding a bigger screen that would accept RGB+AV would be better. I have to say though, provided you get a clean signal, quality is really ok, since you´re dealing with a very small screen. you´ll never know how long they keep working....

I am still looking for a perfect match, hopefully I´ll find one soon - 4" diagonal would be awesome!  :mrgreen:
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMFirst, I wouldnt play on the controller board if I don´t have a clue what to do or know which part I could easily remove. I knew that they would accept between 9-12V at least, and from my experience even 6V are no problem - depends on the revision.
I know which chip has to be removed or where to input 5v, the screens work with other consoles with 5v.

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMDid you do a video mod to it? Why aren´t you trying an Adafruit? Afaik they accept Composite/RGB. If you´re into Raspberry, I´d give them a tryj...
I'm not into Raspberry, that's just some page i found searching how to resolve my problem.
Don't know what an adafruit is, going to google it...

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMI by myself tested the car display if it would accept a plain PAL composite signal (since seller claimed it would accept both), which worked fine, then I tested with my PCE, which also worked. It woulnt however accept Vout from the exp port. So I tapped from either one of the 9V jacks, so that the display would always receive power.
As said above, my screens work with a pal PSX with no problem.

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMIf you´re getting a vertical movement - are you sure you didn´t tap sync instead of composite? If I remember correctly both pins are on the opposite of each other...eg if you look from the wrong side you don´t get the right signal....just my 2 cents.
I did the same mod as TheSteve did in the "3.5 GT replacement screen" thread so i don't think there's a sync pin involved:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9334.60

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMI am still looking for a perfect match, hopefully I´ll find one soon - 4" diagonal would be awesome!  :mrgreen:
Good luck with your quest and thanks for your help!

wolfman

Quote from: deubeul on 02/27/2014, 09:33 AM
Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMFirst, I wouldnt play on the controller board if I don´t have a clue what to do or know which part I could easily remove. I knew that they would accept between 9-12V at least, and from my experience even 6V are no problem - depends on the revision.
I know which chip has to be removed or where to input 5v, the screens work with other consoles with 5v.

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMDid you do a video mod to it? Why aren´t you trying an Adafruit? Afaik they accept Composite/RGB. If you´re into Raspberry, I´d give them a tryj...
I'm not into Raspberry, that's just some page i found searching how to resolve my problem.
Don't know what an adafruit is, going to google it...

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMI by myself tested the car display if it would accept a plain PAL composite signal (since seller claimed it would accept both), which worked fine, then I tested with my PCE, which also worked. It woulnt however accept Vout from the exp port. So I tapped from either one of the 9V jacks, so that the display would always receive power.
As said above, my screens work with a pal PSX with no problem.

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMIf you´re getting a vertical movement - are you sure you didn´t tap sync instead of composite? If I remember correctly both pins are on the opposite of each other...eg if you look from the wrong side you don´t get the right signal....just my 2 cents.
I did the same mod as TheSteve did in the "3.5 GT replacement screen" thread so i don't think there's a sync pin involved:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9334.60

Quote from: wolfman on 02/27/2014, 07:51 AMI am still looking for a perfect match, hopefully I´ll find one soon - 4" diagonal would be awesome!  :mrgreen:
Good luck with your quest and thanks for your help!
I didn´t dig deeper into this raspberry thread, but íf you feel fine with modding the board, well why not? I felt safer by directly tapping it from the power jacks. Since I am mainly using an accupack, voltage is lower than 9V and so I don´t see a problem with not modding the board. The good thing is, the screen starts to fade when batteires  go low, so I have time to finish or even save my game, I probably wouldn´t see that with a 5V mod, as it most likely would just shut off.  :D
CryptoCoin Warrior

thesteve

Ok the frozen pic that fades to white is a pannel compatability issue
Had a batch of 3.5" that did that
The controller boards were the same 2

deubeul

Any clue for the "good image but continuously scrolling vertically" issue?

thesteve

Would have to be the same if the system and screen work separately
Found if a lifted the he pin on the pannel the freeze/fade becomes scrolling perfect
As far as the eBay screens only the housings are consistent the internals are often different  2

wolfman

Quote from: thesteve on 02/27/2014, 10:36 AMAs far as the eBay screens only the housings are consistent the internals are often different  2
+1
CryptoCoin Warrior

wolfman

I finally found a 4" screen manufactured by Sharp, I am not sure about it fitting into my LT though, but it seems to be functional - at least I get a picture. Well, sort of....

It is this one:

http://www.dutchtronix.com/Sharp4lu4e.htm

Today I tried to get it run with a composite signal, pins connected like in PDF document mentioned on above homepage... Well the signal strangely showed up as weak b/w although the screen claims to be NTSC standard. The SAME signal shows up in BRIGHT COLOUR on my 3.5" noob car rearview screen.

What could be the problem why I am not getting color? Is there someone with a little knowledge to help me out?
CryptoCoin Warrior

wolfman

I finally found a SOURCE!!!

:dance:

There is  a vendor in China selling 4" screens, that are a *** PERFECT *** match!

Certainly * not * a cheap option, but worth considering as soon as you get a dying screen or already have a dead one!

It accepts CVBS/Composite AS WELL AS RGB -  though I didn´t try this for space reasons. Too many cables add up on the bottom of the motherboard, and you can´t fit it back into the shell, I can prove that, cause I´ve tried to.

The screen beautifully aligns with borders of the screen shell, you get a little black border of the screen itself, so you can line it up perfectly when switched on. It accepts a 9V source, down to 6V (tested), so you can easily solder it directly to the power tap.

Here´s the source:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6041400298.html
CryptoCoin Warrior

NightWolve

Hmm, good website for these monitors! Found a 3.5" for the Express mod size that supports RGB and is $18.90:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Color-TFT-Display-3-5-inch-QVGA-240x320-LCD-Module-w-Touch-Panel-Screen-LQ035NC111-RGB/1582479419.html

Wonder if it'd work. There are a lot more there to search for though!

wolfman

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/24/2014, 11:22 AMHmm, good website for these monitors! Found a 3.5" for the Express mod size that supports RGB and is $18.90:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Color-TFT-Display-3-5-inch-QVGA-240x320-LCD-Module-w-Touch-Panel-Screen-LQ035NC111-RGB/1582479419.html

Wonder if it'd work. There are a lot more there to search for though!
Better check out if they match the board you´re intend using. This one won´t come with it. Alibaba is a WYSIWYG. I felt safe ordering in the past, they also have a similar buyer protection like the one from Paypal.
CryptoCoin Warrior

turbokon

Yeah night, no driver board with it.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

the panels support DRGB or DYUV, its the board that counts (generally)

wolfman

Quote from: thesteve on 04/28/2014, 01:03 AMthe panels support DRGB or DYUV, its the board that counts (generally)
Could you recommend a board that would drive my 4" (with matching connector/pinout) and accept 5V input?
CryptoCoin Warrior

thesteve

sadly i couldn't
i haven't seen much in separate controller boards
also the board needs to be programmed to match the screen (there are only a few formats used)