10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Uh, who likes the N64?

Started by PukeSter, 03/01/2014, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bawitback

never owned one and never plan to. I bought the sega saturn bundle during that era and never looked back
IMG
|| Use your Special Attack ||

esadajr

the last good Nintendo console was the SNES.
Gaming since 1985

ToyMachine78

BlueBMW

This whole thread makes me a sad puppy :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

PukeSter

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/07/2014, 07:46 PMThis whole thread makes me a sad puppy :(
Me too, kinda. There's some half-sentiment in here.

Tatsujin

Quote from: csgx1 on 03/03/2014, 06:44 PMI like the N64 but unfortunately I easily get motion sickness and can't play any 3d games for more than 20mins. A lot of the 3d N64 game are so choppy with bad camera angles that I get sick after just a few minutes of play.
also a sickness can have its merits :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

IrishNinja

...oh god is Black Falcon here too

for real, N64 had some gems & multiplayer fun no doubt, but looking back PSX & Saturn libraries were several levels above it, my opinion.
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: IrishNinja on 03/16/2014, 06:16 PM...oh god is Black Falcon here too

for real, N64 had some gems & multiplayer fun no doubt, but looking back PSX & Saturn libraries were several levels above it, my opinion.
Yes, but A Black Falcon hasn't commented yet. He did make this thread though...reviews of 145 N64 games.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473262

PSX and Saturn both have way more games. N64 is quite excellent in lots of genres though, such as FPS's, racers, action-adventure and plat-formers. But stuff like fighting games, and RPGs, not too much.

esadajr

it all comes down to the kind of games you care the most and your acquisition power. Back in the day you had to pick one system. Most of us didn't pick the N64, some of those who did, got rid of it and got the PSX.

If there's something I disliked about the N64 back then, was the controllers, especially after being spoiled with the PSX ones.
Gaming since 1985

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: esadajr on 03/18/2014, 10:39 AMit all comes down to the kind of games you care the most and your acquisition power. Back in the day you had to pick one system. Most of us didn't pick the N64, some of those who did, got rid of it and got the PSX.

If there's something I disliked about the N64 back then, was the controllers, especially after being spoiled with the PSX ones.
^Agreed,  I also enjoy games that are fun!  the N64 had none... :(

:P
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

turboswimbz

I enjoy playing the 64 with the everdrive.  It's a great break from the normal system, and one I grew up with, however I find myself enjoying other systems of the era more.  The N64 controller also just down right kills me from time to time.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

PukeSter

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/18/2014, 11:36 AM
Quote from: esadajr on 03/18/2014, 10:39 AMit all comes down to the kind of games you care the most and your acquisition power. Back in the day you had to pick one system. Most of us didn't pick the N64, some of those who did, got rid of it and got the PSX.

:(

Which ones did you play? I'm guessing you did not like Mario 64.

Bernie

Anyone that didn't like the N64 is retarded.  :)  Just kidding.  I loved the system, I remember pre-ordering mine, and waiting in line to get it on launch day.  Now, with the EverDrive, I enjoy it even MORE!

LS650

I have to say that my favorite racing game of all time was Beetle Adventure Racing.  I loved that game and played it for hours and hours - for a racing game, it did everything right.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: LS650 on 03/19/2014, 12:31 AMI have to say that my favorite racing game of all time was Beetle Adventure Racing.  I loved that game and played it for hours and hours - for a racing game, it did everything right.
Heh,
I like that game a lot too. I gave Chop5 a copy one time and was explainign that it's great and he looked at it like I handed him a copy of Madden or some other sports game.
--DragonmasterDan

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guest on 03/18/2014, 04:52 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/18/2014, 11:36 AM

:(

Which ones did you play? I'm guessing you did not like Mario 64.
I stand corrected.  Mario 64 is fantastic.  The N64 is actually a really great system and has all sorts of terrific games with a wide variety of titles that anyone should enjoy!  :)

I really do like the N64.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ToyMachine78

^^ It's absolutely craptastic!

BlueBMW

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16I stand corrected.  Mario 64 is fantastic.  The N64 is actually a really great system and has all sorts of terrific games with a wide variety of titles that anyone should enjoy!  :)

I really do like the N64.
:dance: =D&gt;
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

tggodfrey

I liked it becuase of the 3d graphics and gameplay of Mario64.  After that newness wore off i found i did not like the system whatsoever.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

VestCunt

If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that the controller sucks.
Topic Adjourned.

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 03/19/2014, 06:32 PMIf there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that the controller sucks.
I was on the fence about it, but now I feel that they could have done way better.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 03/19/2014, 06:32 PMIf there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that the controller sucks.
I disagree.

At least for the games it was designed for. Between the N64, the Saturn UFO pad and the Playstation analog (and later dual shock), I like the analog stick on the N64 most and I think it's the best 3D controller of the era. Yes, doing anything with that d-pad is impossible, but very few games utilized it.
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

urgh..already 5 pages spent on that crap, and that on an obey centered forum? seriously?

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

VestCunt

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/19/2014, 08:23 PMI like the analog stick on the N64 most and I think it's the best 3D controller of the era.
Just because it did some things right doesn't mean it's a good controller. The failure rate of N64 controllers is unmatched. I N64 is the only first-party controller for any console that I've purchased new, used gently, and had fail on me. Good precision + uncomfortable stick + horrific product life = shitty controller. Sorry.

Comparing it to other shitty controllers doesn't cut any ice either.
Topic Adjourned.

PukeSter

Quote from: VestCunt on 03/19/2014, 06:32 PMIf there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that the controller sucks.
I would say the stick is the worst part. They wear down after a while. Eventually, the sticks will get to the point that your character moves not as fast.

They are very easy to replace, but definitely not my favorite.

I would say the controller is quite comfortable after you get past the intimidation factor of the three prongs, lol. But the L button is practically unreachable. So in Doom 64, I have to move my hand to the L button for strafing, quite akward :(

Turok's controls are great though. Aim with stick, move (and strafe) with C buttons. Perfect. I hope they are in Goldeneye.

VestCunt

The discomfort of the stick isn't so bad that it can't be ignored, or grown accustomed to, but it pales to a genuinely comfortable controller. Two hours into Perfect Dark while sniping hard sims in the Villa, the stick will whisper, "Hey! I still suck!" Or while executing consecutive Mario Kart power slides with a string of bananas strung out on the Z button, the stick with slide out from under a sweaty thumb in defiance. BOO-URNS.

They're easy to replace, but the aftermarket ones are worse. The replacement sticks are on larger, heavily-weighted ball joints that make them more durable, but less accurate for fine control in the center area. On the outer extreme, they quickly conform to the hard, 8-way mechanical guidance that limits true 3D movement.

As for Doom, the default controls are pretty bad, but easy to customize. Just put strafe on the R or Z button.
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

a N64 is about as likable as a decayed limburger cheese.

esadajr

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/20/2014, 03:21 AMa N64 is about as likable as a decayed limburger cheese.
LOL :lol: yeah
Gaming since 1985

PukeSter

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/20/2014, 03:21 AMa N64 control stick is about as likable as a decayed limburger cheese.
Ftfy

esadajr

not even in emulated form
Gaming since 1985

HailingTheThings

IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 03/20/2014, 11:03 PMIMG

'nuff said.
If anyone is interested, the Beta was a much better game than the final. It at least looks playable.

Tatsujin

as shitty as this game!! :P

esadajr

I rather jump from a plane
Gaming since 1985

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 03/21/2014, 05:47 AMIf anyone is interested, the Beta was a much better game than the final. It at least looks playable.
From my understanding Warner Bros/DC Comics told them. Superman can't harm anyone or fight, we don't want children seeing things in this game and re-enacting them with dangerous results. This left the developer with no choice but to make a game about flying through rings.
--DragonmasterDan

VestCunt

I must be dead, because I'm in RPG HEAVEN!

IMG
Topic Adjourned.

Bernie

The Shadowgate 64 game was actually quite enjoyable for me.  NOT what I expected, and would have loved to see the one in the works come out, but alas...it was not to be.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/04/shadowgate-rising-n64-cancelled/

wayback.planetnintendo.com/thewarpzone/fanatical/srising.html

IMG
IMG
IMG

PukeSter

Nice collection Vestcoat!

I have not played many of those.

Paper Mario I have played briefly on the Wii (first chapter), but it was very enjoyable for me, as a Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga fan.

Hybrid Heaven I liked at first, but everything got kinda repetitive, as the main bulk of the game was mediocre Tomb Raider stuff. Very cheap game, though.

I have beaten both Zelda games, they are incredible. I would consider them Action RPGs?

From what I've seen of Quest 64, it looks good but also bad. Apparently the game was very rushed.

Tatsujin

halp me.. I got le eyecancer!!

PukeSter

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/22/2014, 12:11 PMhalp me.. I got le eyecancer!!
If mere blurry, but anti-alliased N64 games give you eye-cancer, then most of the pixelated and warpy Playstation games would probably make your eyes fall out, lol.

Psycho Punch

It's easy to not have pixellation when most of the 3d models used are just vertex painted with one texture or another here and there (hi Mario 64!). :P

(but to be honest, vertex painted games wins specially in the early 3d gen, like Mario, Crash and others who still look great after all this time)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

IrishNinja

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2014, 06:47 PMYes, but A Black Falcon hasn't commented yet. He did make this thread though...reviews of 145 N64 games.

haha that thread is insane!  thorough though. 
still amazed he hasn't commented, must not have seen this thread yet - he takes heat over at sega-16 for his N64 love, heh.
ive got about 25 games for mine, there's maybe 5-10 more i'd dig but that's about it for me.
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

warpig227

i like it, but honestly there not many games that i like, obv the essentials like smash and mario 64 zelda games, and mischief makers are really the only ones i play. good but not up to par with ps1 at the time. but it stood the test of time better

seieienbu

There were a few games that I didn't dislike on the system, but that's about the nicest thing I can say about it.  I was of the opinion that the hardware in the mid 90s wasn't good enough for 3D games yet.  Everything just looked bad.  That combined with the growing pains of developers not understanding how to work 3D cameras and what I found to be the worst controller of all time made me dislike the system a lot.  Damn near everything on the system was 3D and all looked so very, very similar. 

I liked how it had 4 controller ports, but I didn't like the offerings that the N64 gave me.  Around the time Goldeneye was out I was playing Quake 2 on my computer.  And when Perfect Dark was out I was playing Quake 3 and Counter Strike.  I just didn't see what the fuss was about, PC shooters were so clearly superior that I honestly didn't know why anyone would even bother.

In the end I vastly preferred PS1 and Saturn during that generation.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 03/22/2014, 06:05 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/22/2014, 12:11 PMhalp me.. I got le eyecancer!!
If mere blurry, but anti-alliased N64 games give you eye-cancer, then most of the pixelated and warpy Playstation games would probably make your eyes fall out, lol.
that's basically true ^^

especially saturn 3D.

o.pwuaioc

Only 2D games looked good from the 5th generation.

I like the N64 enough, but definitely do not rank it very high compared to its peers, or the awesome systems that came before or immediately after. Ogre Battle 64 is an excellent reason to own the system, though, and easily competes with any of the JRPGs of the PS1.

Tatsujin

if only the n64 had more kewl 2D games, it might have been an awesome system.

CrackTiger

Quote from: IrishNinja on 04/11/2014, 03:40 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 03/16/2014, 06:47 PMYes, but A Black Falcon hasn't commented yet. He did make this thread though...reviews of 145 N64 games.

haha that thread is insane!  thorough though. 
still amazed he hasn't commented, must not have seen this thread yet - he takes heat over at sega-16 for his N64 Nintendo love zealotry, heh.
ive got about 25 games for mine, there's maybe 5-10 more i'd dig but that's about it for me.
Fixed.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Bloody Wolf

Even tho the 3D looks dated I miss that system

Bernie

I play mine regularly.  :)