New PCE/TG16 RGB amps

Started by Todd Gill, 03/24/2014, 10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Gill

I am now offering RGB amplifiers that are designed with the PC Engine and TurboGrafx16 in mind. It should work on a RGB capable N64, but I don't have one on hand to test it with.

This board uses the popular Texas Instruments THS7314 3 channel amplifier. It has a biasing network, decoupling caps and DC filtering caps. You might see some other designs that use the THS7314 and a couple resistors and that's it. Well, they are built wrong and not designed per the TI spec sheet. This circuit and pcb layout was designed by micro over @ NFGGames forum. I asked micro for his permission ahead of time to build and sell his amp design. You can also find a link to the gerber files for the pcbs in that thread.

So far to date I have built over 30 of these boards. Up to this point they have all been hand soldered. This is pretty time consuming as you can imagine, so starting with this run of boards I am switching to solder paste and a reflow device. This will allow me to build these at a far faster rate.

I have made a change to micro's circuit by opting to use 100 ohm resistors on the output rather than the original 75 ohm that he specs. I found that with 75 ohms the picture was a little too bright and over saturated where as passing it through 100 ohm resistors seems just about right. For more information, including pictures of folks installs or screenshots, see this thread @ Neo-geo.com.

The blank PCBs are fabbed in China/Hong Kong (of course) but everything else is assembled right here in Ohio.

Each board is approx. 1.25 inches long by .75 inches wide. It's tiny. Easy to fit in even the most cramped of spaces like the original white PCE:

IMG
Very first of the finished amps. New ones have cleaner soldering and output through100 ohm resistors.

IMG
Installed in a White PCE with 8 pin mini din connector replacing the stock RF unit.

IMG
Installed in a Duo-R.

IMG
Supergrafx install

The amps are fairly easy to install. They need 5v and ground for power. Then just solder 3 wires for Red, green and blue to the amp (from either the expansion port or Hu cpu) and then 3 wires from the amp to your RGB connector on your system. You will use composite video as your sync as this is only a 3 channel amplifier. The board can be secured down with simple double sided foam tape which is provided.

White PCE/CoreGrafx/TG16/SuperGrafx/SCDrom2 can tap RGB from either the bottom side of the expansion port or from the HU cpu directly. On any of the Duo's you must solder to the Hu cpu directly to obtain RGB.

I also offer kits that include 1 amp, an 8 pin din socket to replace the original 5 pin and a Euro Scart cable. This would be suitable for all PCE systems except the original White PCE and TG16 as they don't have 5 pin Din A/V outs. You will need to roll your own cable/connector solution on those machines. Mmmonkey's website has a good guide to replace the original RF socket with a 8 pin mini din (like my White PCE pictured above).

I wouldn't say this is a difficult install, but you need good hand soldering skills when soldering to the Hu CPU and appropriate desoldering tools if removing the stock 5 pin connector and replacing with an 8 pin din.

These are $25 shipped for each amp.

or

A kit which includes the Amp, 8 pin din socket and Euro Scart cable (Euro only, no JP21) which is $45 shipped.

These are domestic shipped prices. International will cost a couple dollars more.

I expect to have the PCBs on hand towards the end of this week/beginning of next week. I can then begin assembling them.

So I imagine the first of this batch will start shipping late next week and it will take a little longer for orders which include Scart cables since it takes a bit of time to build those.

For those that choose the kit, here is a pic of the back of the 8 pin din and where the RGB wires need to be soldered to correspond with the Scart cable wiring:

IMG

The 8 pin din will already have the 3 rear pins trimmed so that the it can be installed where the 5 pin din was.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread. Want to order one? Shoot me a PM.

ClodBusted

Good job! Does this amp eliminate the annoying vertical "jail" bars?

Ghudda

Nice, these seem solid. I'm interested in getting RGB for my IFU setup (though still contemplating whether or not I want to try to install it myself) so i'll give this some thought.

schweaty

looks like a great board.  this might be a stupid question, but why are we using a SCART cable?  I am assuming that is all you could find that has a 8 pin DIN that has the right internals to hack up to make component connections?

Keith Courage

Dammit, why don't US TVs take RGB! This would be so easy.

munchiaz

Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/24/2014, 03:08 PMDammit, why don't US TVs take RGB! This would be so easy.
PVM

Todd Gill

Quote from: guest on 03/24/2014, 01:06 PMGood job! Does this amp eliminate the annoying vertical "jail" bars?
Not really. However it isn't nearly as overly bright as the common transistor only RGB amp that many people use. It brings the video levels down to a more appropriate level so therefor the jail bars might not be as noticeable. thesteve has a fix for jail bars that works really well.

Quote from: schweaty on 03/24/2014, 02:14 PMlooks like a great board.  this might be a stupid question, but why are we using a SCART cable?  I am assuming that is all you could find that has a 8 pin DIN that has the right internals to hack up to make component connections?
I use scart cables because it's something retrogamers in the US have started adopting over the last 4 or 5 years for RGB video. And of course Europe has used them for 20+ years.

However you are free to build and use any kind of cable and connector combo you wish.

Also, these are the Scart cables I build for the kits:

IMG

Fully shielded with a foil outer shield and drain wire all tied to ground. Molded 8 pin connector to ensure it lasts and doesn't pull apart.

ClodBusted

Quote from: broken on 03/24/2014, 05:02 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/24/2014, 01:06 PMGood job! Does this amp eliminate the annoying vertical "jail" bars?
Not really. However it isn't nearly as overly bright as the common transistor only RGB amp that many people use. It brings the video levels down to a more appropriate level so therefor the jail bars might not be as noticeable. thesteve has a fix for jail bars that works really well.
Thanks, I'll give your amp and Steve's jailbar fix a try! :)

PunkCryborg

I just installed one in my supergrafx and it blows my rgb modded duo r from doujindance out of the water. I only noticed jail bars once on a totally light blue screen and it was hardly noticeable. I highly recommend these and will be swapping out the amp in my duo for one in the future

GohanX

I've installed this on two different Core Grafxes and it's pretty great. The pcb fits perfectly right next to the av jack and install is a breeze provided you have the proper tools to replace the av jack. As far as jailbars go, one system did it ever so slightly, the other didn't. I didn't try Steve's fix yet.

It looks worlds better than my doujindance modded Duo.

NightWolve

I had made some pretty images to help illustrate steve's jail bar fix a while ago in the YPbPr Component thread:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13231.msg287992#msg287992

Doesn't always work, but worth a shot.

Oh, nice amp BTW, broken! If a real engineer designed it using an IC, it's gotta be pretty good!

turbokon

I found that using 220uf and .001uf in parallel seems to work better with the turbografx, pc-engine core systems and duo-r with the component video boards.  The 22uf caps seems to only reduce jail bars on the turbo duo and pc-engine duo.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

schweaty

Quote from: turbokon on 04/25/2014, 08:26 PMI found that using 220uf and .001uf in parallel seems to work better with the turbografx, pc-engine core systems and duo-r with the component video boards.  The 22uf caps seems to only reduce jail bars on the turbo duo and pc-engine duo.
What about super cdroms? 

turbokon

Quote from: schweaty on 04/26/2014, 01:53 AM
Quote from: turbokon on 04/25/2014, 08:26 PMI found that using 220uf and .001uf in parallel seems to work better with the turbografx, pc-engine core systems and duo-r with the component video boards.  The 22uf caps seems to only reduce jail bars on the turbo duo and pc-engine duo.
What about super cdroms?
Haven't tried it on the super cd-rom yet.  However, I did tried it on the tg dock and ifu, so it would be the same way for the super cd-rom. 
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Todd Gill

Bump!

Amps and cables/kits back in stock.

owlnonymous

PunkCryborg just modded my Duo-R and N64. Both systems look great. Thanks Broken and Punk!

MagicalChase.jpg
DatMomo.jpg
instagram.com/p/tO9GjzhewM/

DUO-R VID: instagram.com/p/tO8ptXhe_r

N64 VID: instagram.com/p/tOML13he9g/

Opethian

IMG

crans

cjameslv

Broken! Come back, i'm in neeeeeed!

Sarumaru

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/13/2015, 12:00 PMBroken! Come back, i'm in neeeeeed!
Funny cuz we were just talking about this :P

So judging by these pictures it looks fairly straight forward. Are these kits still available? I would like a couple.

pdiggitydogg

Dang. I was going to get one of these soon... I saved the page and everything...

Todd Gill

Sorry guys for the lack of response. I had temporarily suspended orders while I completed getting caught up to a backlog of orders.

However those are all shipped and I am free to build more.

Here is the thing: I don't currently have any more cables or connectors and not sure when (or if) I will resume building cables. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

However, I am still building the amps. I no longer take preorders for them. I will post when I have a certain quantity available and they will be on a first come, first serve basis. I do it this way so I can build them when I have the free time and can do them in batches.

I expect to have more built this weekend.

Susbscribe to this thread that way you will be emailed when I post up for some for sale.

Todd

pdiggitydogg

Todd Gill

I have opened up 5 more amps to being available.

These will be ready to ship mid week as I am waiting on a shipment of padded envelopes to arrive.

PM me if interested in purchasing one.

cjameslv

SegaSonic91

Waterclocker

My Channel - Pickups, repairs, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CollectingRetro

Needs more OBEY, but I'm working on it.

Todd Gill

Current batch of amps are sold out Or pending payment.

I only have parts on hand to build about 10 more amps. I have ordered another 50 pcb's which will be in in a couple weeks.

I will build the remaining on hand amps probably in a week or so and offer them up for sale.

Also, in other news, I will once again be offering Cables and connectors! Connectors are on their way to me and I am waiting on parts for the cables. Plus I am hoping to receive some different, higher quality scart connectors to use with the cables. I had someone make a comment awhile back about the connectors not being super high quality and I tend to agree. So I am evaluating some gold plated ones that have a better design to them.

It will probably be a couple weeks before cables are offered. Just an FYI.

todd

cjameslv

Quote from: broken on 01/29/2015, 05:04 PMCurrent batch of amps are sold out Or pending payment.

I only have parts on hand to build about 10 more amps. I have ordered another 50 pcb's which will be in in a couple weeks.

I will build the remaining on hand amps probably in a week or so and offer them up for sale.

Also, in other news, I will once again be offering Cables and connectors! Connectors are on their way to me and I am waiting on parts for the cables. Plus I am hoping to receive some different, higher quality scart connectors to use with the cables. I had someone make a comment awhile back about the connectors not being super high quality and I tend to agree. So I am evaluating some gold plated ones that have a better design to them.

It will probably be a couple weeks before cables are offered. Just an FYI.

todd
You mutha fu.....!! mr. i'm not making anymore cables for a long time if ever again (don't make me post that pm!) and after i pleaded "on my knees" for the kit..."ON MY KNEES!" Well now once my amp arrives, now i'll install it and wait until you let me throw more money at you...sigh

pdiggitydogg

Received my amp yesterday! Its tiny! Looks to be pretty well made, simple to setup, and complete with sticky back/isolation.
It will be a long time before I can install it (so busy) but I look forward to it.
Thanks again!

Edit) Just saw the update on the upcoming parts. I'll have to watch for the scart lead.

SmokeMonster

I posted a Youtube video of broken's RGB amp running through a cheap Scart RGB-to-HDMI converter. I'll post video of it in a higher quality setup as soon as I work out why it's not working with my GBS-8200.

Rosser

Rosser

Payment sent for 2 amps thanks

poponon

anyone try this with thesteve's rgb to component converter?

Rosser

Quote from: poponon on 02/19/2015, 05:05 AManyone try this with thesteve's rgb to component converter?
There would be no need this just amplifies the signal for rgb monitors or scalers s it's all in what type of display you want to use,  so its either or

poponon

thanks for clearing that up.

Todd Gill

Quote from: Rosser on 02/18/2015, 01:31 PMPayment sent for 2 amps thanks
What payment?

You have pm'd and emailed me on several occasions, but I have never received any payments from you.

Rosser

Sorry sent payment to wrong email payment resent

Nio

Want to buy 2 kits + 1 cable. I already sent a PM, but no answer.

onetunafish

Would I need this amp to connect my CoreGrafix to an xrgb2?

Todd Gill

I still have a few of these left. If you guys want them, PM before they are gone.