OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Dragon force = confusing

Started by munchiaz, 04/11/2014, 01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchiaz

So i started playing Dragon Force for the first time today, and man is this game confusing. There's so much to take in at the start. I feel like i have no idea how to play the game correctly. I'm going to read the whole instruction booklet during down time at work tomorrow. Hopefully this helps with the confusion.

Joe Redifer

I felt the same way and could never really get into it. I don't know what all of the fuss is about. I managed to win a whole bunch of battles but no clue what to do after that. I was stuck and nothing seemed to progress. I feel like this game wouldn't be any different if I were playing it in Japanese. Maybe those that do manage to figure it out hype it amongst themselves. I looked at the book but even got bored reading that. I'll stick with Shining Force for now.

Maybe a walkthrough video is posted somewhere which would help understand how the game functions.

seieienbu

Ah, Dragonforce.  I picked that game up mad cheap as the Saturn was on its way out.  Possibly the best $20 I ever spent.  Then again I haven't played the game since the 90s so maybe I've got some rose tinted glasses.  Either way, seeing 200 dudes fighting it out on screen at once seemed pretty epic to me a long time ago. 

As a general rule, you can win easily enough by selecting the right race and having advantage via an in depth game of rock-paper-scissors and then using Special Formation.  As I seem to recall, Dragons are only weak against Samurai who in turn lose to Cavalry, so an optimal group of 5 generals is like 3 dudes with 100 dragons, one dude with 100 Samurai, and one dude with 100 Cavalry.

There was a bunch of terrain stuff that I don't recall as well as financial things to do.  But overall, get those 3 troop types and you're good to go in the actual battles.  Stick with the game for a bit, even if you don't like it right now there's a chance that it'll grow on you.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

synbiosfan

I found Dragon Force easy to pick up and play. It's one of my favorite games on the Saturn, super addictive. I'd have to watch you guys play to see where you're having difficulty but it surprises me it's confusing some of you. I thought it was pretty straight forward.

munchiaz

I thought dragon force would be more of a strategy RPG like fire emblem. I'm going to continue to try it out, and see if it clicks with me

IrishNinja

The engine's a bit confusing at first (im still getting the hang of it) but it really looks like something that comes together on replays as the story opens up too...just make sure you have a memory cart!
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

Gao

One thing that helped me when I realized it: all else held equal, stationary troops have an advantage against moving ones.  It's therefore usually better to let the enemy come to you than chase them down.  Also, archers are practically useless unless you're fighting harpies, and mages are the same unless you're fighting harpies or zombies.

synbiosfan

Quote from: Gao on 04/11/2014, 09:58 PMOne thing that helped me when I realized it: all else held equal, stationary troops have an advantage against moving ones.  It's therefore usually better to let the enemy come to you than chase them down.  Also, archers are practically useless unless you're fighting harpies, and mages are the same unless you're fighting harpies or zombies.
When a enemy retreats, send out your strongest remaining general(s) after them immediately. They can't get away and you capture them. If they run away again, they run towards the castle where your remaining army is waiting.

You can build up your generals pretty quickly.

DragonmasterDan

It's a game that has a high learning curve for sure.

Munch, if I were still in AZ I'd teach you how to play. Or if you have time for a phone call some time I'll walk you throw it. It's a VERY complex game. But is my favorite Sega developed game EVER.
--DragonmasterDan

Ninja Spirit

the domestic mode stumped the hell out of me too.

TheClash603

Do you have the manual?  There is a very clear breakdown of which units are best against the other units.  It was a game where I always had the manual at my side.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TheClash603 on 04/13/2014, 08:09 PMDo you have the manual?  There is a very clear breakdown of which units are best against the other units.  It was a game where I always had the manual at my side.
Yep,
But there's so much to the game. Just knowing how the administrative mode is supposed to work requires a lot of reading alone for example.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

Quote from: TheClash603 on 04/13/2014, 08:09 PMDo you have the manual?  There is a very clear breakdown of which units are best against the other units.  It was a game where I always had the manual at my side.
Yeah, if you're missing the manual I recommend http://www.ratigators.com/

The fellow there (TSOLFan) has scanned packaging for a huge amount of the entire Sega library, and the Dragon Force manual in specific.  The manual is pretty long for a game manual though. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Arkhan Asylum

There isn't a high learning curve for the game.  You're all just gimps.

The whole point of the game is to ally yourself with all the main characters and go beat the flying tits off of the douchebag evil guy.   

You just need that chart from the manual to know what units are strong/weak against each other, and then you go pound the game senseless.

Man, it's not that hard.  I figured it out and beat it in one weekend when I was like 12.

I started with Teiris because blowing shit up with magic = yes.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 04/14/2014, 05:17 PMThere isn't a high learning curve for the game.  You're all just gimps.

The whole point of the game is to ally yourself with all the main characters and go beat the flying tits off of the douchebag evil guy.   

You just need that chart from the manual to know what units are strong/weak against each other, and then you go pound the game senseless.

Man, it's not that hard.  I figured it out and beat it in one weekend when I was like 12.

My first copy was a loose disc which I beat without a chart or anything.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 04/14/2014, 05:17 PMThere isn't a high learning curve for the game.  You're all just gimps.

Figuring out which castles to fortify and which ones to search, recruiting enemy generals, knowing how to chase after enemy generals when they're at their weakest. There's a lot of strategy involved and I've seen newbies get wiped out fairly easily or get aggravated too easily.
--DragonmasterDan

munchiaz

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/14/2014, 05:41 PM

Figuring out which castles to fortify and which ones to search, recruiting enemy generals, knowing how to chase after enemy generals when they're at their weakest. There's a lot of strategy involved and I've seen newbies get wiped out fairly easily or get aggravated too easily.
I think my main thing is i thought this would be more turn based strategy, and its not. So i just need to get in to proper mind set to play it

synbiosfan

Quote from: munchiaz on 04/14/2014, 05:45 PMI think my main thing is i thought this would be more turn based strategy, and its not. So i just need to get in to proper mind set to play it
That's why it's a hard game to classify/explain to people who haven't played it since it's a hybrid of many game types. It's a love/hate game really.

If you have the time I'd give it a solid try. You may just not like it, there are plenty of "great" games I've tried that I ended up thinking everyone's smoking crack. :lol:

roflmao

This is probably my favorite game on the Saturn, but it does have a pretty steep learning curve these days.  Not long ago I started it up after not having played it for a number of years (my Saturn doesn't get played much) and I realized I'd have to invest a fair amount of time to remember how to play it well.  Sadly, it all got boxed up again for more "pick up and play" games.  But the way my little one is tearing through rpgs, it'll only be a matter of time when I get it out again and we can both enjoy it.

Strangely, I don't remember it being very complicated when I first picked it up.  It was just pure awesome back then. Have all the easy games of late really made me that lazy?  :-k

Arkhan Asylum

I might have just been used to more convoluted games like Sword of Aragon, or Ultima or some crap, because Dragon Force was like derp-obvious while playing when I first got it.

I still think it's probably the best strategy game ever made.   That or Dork Wizard.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Digi.k

Gosh it's been ages since I last fired this up. 

Best to start with Teiris or Wein.  They are the basic ones and picking either of them it is best to seek each other out quickly so you can team up.

You get a few generals that like to run off and betray you but I think you find loyalty coins and give them to those usurpers.

Domestics is kinda boring but is where you do the important stuff like fortify your castles, and convince generals to join your quest.

Mages and Archers are the tricky ones.  If you are controlling these hordes Mages and archers are best left standing until you are comfortable to send an all out melee attack or to forward them over to the enemy and have them surround the general.
If you are facing Mages and archers keep a few men stationary surrounding you and send your main formations to the edges of the screen where they run up and spread around the edges of the map till they get to the enemy general and have your men surround them and they can just be stationed and just fire projectiles.

Harpies, Dragons, Zombies, Monks, Samurai are the most trickiest to deal with but generally if the opposition sends their army towards you, you just have your own army stationed where you have about 10+ of your own men surround you.  and the rest will just stand there and cut/shoot down the opposition.