RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... BT passed away early 2023 from health problems. He was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Gear on my TG16 CD still getting stuck after cleaning ??

Started by Nec.Game.head, 04/17/2014, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nec.Game.head

So I have a CD unit for my TG16 that continues giving me troubles. I took apart the CD player cleaned off all the old dried lithium grease from the gears and laser rail, re applied a very little amount of new lithium grease and it worked fine for a day. The following day I turned on my setup to play a game and it was stuck again, so I once again re opened it and to my surprise the gear was stuck. I then cleaned off any excess grease checked all 3 gears for any missing teeth and everything looked fine. I powered it back on and it was fine for a full day once again. Today I went to play it and sure enough stuck gear once again. Any idea gentlemen on what can be causing this to keep happening ???
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

thesteve

That's correct
Use a drill bit slightly smaller then the hole, and spin the gear on it
Install gear on shaft dry (should fall on/off)

Nec.Game.head

Thanks for the help guys. I opened her up once again cleaned off all the gears this time with a sewing needle instead of a tooth brush, re assembled it and now it's working great so far. It's been 2 days in a row that I am having no more problems with it getting stuck. If it starts up again I will definitely take the steps you guys suggested and see what kind of results i get.
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

PCEngineHell

Yeah kind of a tip but when you got to clean out gears it helps to use q-tips first, then a good tooth brush and alcohol to get between the teeth of the gears, then q-tips again for any remaining residue or whatever.