OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

How come [Game X] is so expensive? The Official Thread

Started by CrackTiger, 05/29/2014, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

To save all the new members and madboom the trouble of creating new threads with different game titles, only to have the exact same responses in each one, please post the same generic respsonses here and if you'd like to know why/when/how any particular game suddenly became "worth" so much... you'll find your answers below.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

seieienbu

Resellers have been buying up stacks and stacks of all copies of [game X] for years to generate a shortage where they can then use their shill bidders to trick ebayers into believing that the going rate for [game x] is in the lower 5 figures before cashing in on their investment.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

bob

Quote from: seieienbu on 05/29/2014, 04:54 PMResellers have been buying up stacks and stacks of all copies of [game X] for years to generate a shortage where they can then use their shill bidders to trick ebayers into believing that the going rate for [game x] is in the lower 5 figures before cashing in on their investment.
do you think they really are "hoarding" the games?  I always questioned that philosophy.  Just because it seems like it would get pretty expensive to keep buying them, and it would take a pretty high quantity to actually make an impact on the availability.  I just assumed it was shill bidding at it's worst.  And general dick-headery always asking double what the last one sold for to drive up the impression of it being "OMG:  ONLY ONE ON EGAY:SUPER RARE AND COLLECTIBLE:YOU'RE AN ASS HOLE IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT:THINK OF WHAT YOUR FRIENDS WILL SAY AT YOUR NEXT HOLIDAY PARTY WITH THIS ON YOUR SHELF!!!!"

majors

Stockpiling? Hell, I'm flat out burning all the MC's I come across.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

synbiosfan

Quote from: seieienbu on 05/29/2014, 04:54 PMResellers have been buying up stacks and stacks of all copies of [game X] for years to generate a shortage where they can then use their shill bidders to trick ebayers into believing that the going rate for [game x] is in the lower 5 figures before cashing in on their investment.
That covers game x but I have the same question about game y :P

geise

Snerd collectors have invaded our turf.   It's the only logical explanation.

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

synbiosfan

Ninja16608

Quote from: galam on 05/29/2014, 05:04 PM
do you think they really are "hoarding" the games?  I always questioned that philosophy.  Just because it seems like it would get pretty expensive to keep buying them, and it would take a pretty high quantity to actually make an impact on the availability.  I just assumed it was shill bidding at it's worst.  And general dick-headery always asking double what the last one sold for to drive up the impression of it being "OMG:  ONLY ONE ON EGAY:SUPER RARE AND COLLECTIBLE:YOU'RE AN ASS HOLE IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT:THINK OF WHAT YOUR FRIENDS WILL SAY AT YOUR NEXT HOLIDAY PARTY WITH THIS ON YOUR SHELF!!!!"
Second that!

seieienbu

I don't think anyone's sitting on a mountain of Magical Chases that they bought over the years trying to generate a shortage.  I've read of accounts of shill bidding and seen a bit of evidence so I DO think that actually exists.

A few years ago a friend of mine and myself played world of warcraft.  After we hit 60 he lost interest in the dungeons/grinding but found great fun trying to make a fortune on the auction house.  He based his strategy around what he'd learned were illegal practices in investing.  He'd generate shortages, buy all the resources that were below his prices, etc.  I'm of the opinion that if you wanted to try to to make a profit from selling old video games you should look at whatever profiteering techniques are illegal in say, stocks/bonds, and try to figure out a way to do that over ebay.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2014, 04:42 PMTo save all the new members and madboom the trouble of creating new threads with different game titles, only to have the exact same responses in each one, please post the same generic respsonses here and if you'd like to know why/when/how any particular game suddenly became "worth" so much... you'll find your answers below.
.   HAHAHA! PERFECT!

ToyMachine78

I don't buy the hoarding philosophy. Supply and demand. There is a recent TG/Pce craze due to all of the YouTube/gameblogs featuring and hyping the system. Up goes demand. And while the overall supply remains constant, unless Baptist churches are burning the satanic fuckers, less games are on the market due to the influx of noob collectors/enthusiasts. Bam... Up goes price. On top of this EBay compounds the problem cause rich collectards sling massive dollars at r@rez which sets new price benchmarks

ToyMachine78

.  I don't think they are trying to create a shortage. There is a market opportunity for selling used games. They are running a retail business, and those need inventory. Why do you think gamestop exists? Resellers actually provide a valuable service cause they collect and provide an assortment of games in one convienent location. Not to mention they clean and test them. You are paying a premium for not having to drag your ass out of bed at 5am every Saturday to hit as many yardsales and flea markets as you can and scour craigslist adds looking for cheap games.

Ahem.... Shitstorm commence!

Senshi

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/29/2014, 06:14 PMCuz... 'Merica...

And maybe France...
Please don't put us in the same post.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2014, 07:13 PMso you're the dickhead who was buying up all the ore...

I thought it was known fact that there exists at least 1 hoard of magical chaise.  I think Black Tiger or Dungeonmaster Dan mentioned that a time or few over the years.
Naw, I was perpetually broke and always borrowing money from my friend.  He showed me his account once though, he had hundreds of thousands of gold.

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

PunkCryborg

All I gotta say is this last year on this forum has been n00b "set collector" central. I usually hit unread posts on the top but I'm seriously considering just looking at the pc engine threads for now on and bypassing the TG16 part of the forum all together because this is like what half the threads have been actually like lately.

Opethian

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/29/2014, 09:35 PMAll I gotta say is this last year on this forum has been n00b "set collector" central. I usually hit unread posts on the top but I'm seriously considering just looking at the pc engine threads for now on and bypassing the TG16 part of the forum all together because this is like what half the threads have been actually like lately.
I did that years ago and I am ever so grateful that there is a separate PCE section!
IMG

synbiosfan

Quote from: Opethian on 05/29/2014, 09:36 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/29/2014, 09:35 PMAll I gotta say is this last year on this forum has been n00b "set collector" central. I usually hit unread posts on the top but I'm seriously considering just looking at the pc engine threads for now on and bypassing the TG16 part of the forum all together because this is like what half the threads have been actually like lately.
I did that years ago and I am ever so grateful that there is a separate PCE section!
As a newb I picked that up pretty quick!

If noobs aren't making unnecessary threads, they're bumping ancient threads with "+1" or "Me too".

Pick your poison :P

madboom0522

Really tiger?... I sell to you at a good price and then ask a question. So you feel the need to single me out? Thanks a whole bunch......
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2014, 10:15 PM... anyone have a magical chaise for cheep?
Gimme a sec and I'll pluck one off the tree out back :wink: They're in season too!

bob

I havent even been a member long, and i have been getting pretty bummed out around here lately too.
Seems to have really gone south since the new year. At least thats what it feels to me.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2014, 07:49 PMResellers actually provide a valuable service cause they collect and provide an assortment of games in one convienent location. Not to mention they clean and test them. You are paying a premium for not having to drag your ass out of bed at 5am every Saturday to hit as many yardsales and flea markets as you can and scour craigslist adds looking for cheap games.
All I gotta say to that is that flea market sellers always the dirties/nastiest carts I ever see. And it's definitely not how they get them as they are all equally nasty like in the same way from sitting outside for 3 days a week all day for months at a time. And in the end they still want the same price for it all. They are more so doing a disservice to us all by ruining so many games. I can usually spot a flea market game in a heartbeat

bob

There has been a lot fewer posts from the people i actually find most interesting. That contributes to me being bummed out lately.

So that, coupled with the fact that many of the current most frequent posters are people i dont really care to read.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: galam on 05/29/2014, 11:06 PMSo that, coupled with the fact that many of the current most frequent posters are people i dont really care to read.
*rubs your tummy*

Who's a good boy? You are, yes, you are!!!!
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/29/2014, 11:00 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/29/2014, 07:49 PMResellers actually provide a valuable service cause they collect and provide an assortment of games in one convienent location. Not to mention they clean and test them. You are paying a premium for not having to drag your ass out of bed at 5am every Saturday to hit as many yardsales and flea markets as you can and scour craigslist adds looking for cheap games.
All I gotta say to that is that flea market sellers always the dirties/nastiest carts I ever see. And it's definitely not how they get them as they are all equally nasty like in the same way from sitting outside for 3 days a week all day for months at a time. And in the end they still want the same price for it all. They are more so doing a disservice to us all by ruining so many games. I can usually spot a flea market game in a heartbeat
You are right. Resellers that work out of flea markets have shit. I meant resellers that scour flea markets/ swapmeets for the random Joe that shows up that one weekend to sale stuff and has a few games.

esteban

Quote from: galam on 05/29/2014, 11:06 PMThere has been a lot fewer posts from the people i actually find most interesting. That contributes to me being bummed out lately.

So that, coupled with the fact that many of the current most frequent posters are people i dont really care to read.
Yes, when this happens, it bums me out, too. Of course, I have been guilty of going MIA for a year at a time, so...(seeya in 2015)...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Quote from: galam on 05/29/2014, 11:06 PMThere has been a lot fewer posts from the people i actually find most interesting. That contributes to me being bummed out lately.

Yes, when this happens, it bums me out, too. Of course, I have been guilty of going MIA for a year at a time, so...(seeya in 2015)...

geise

I don't think so.  If all you whiners will start joining in the game of the week there would be some more discussion.

PunkCryborg

@toymachine you don't need to post 2 or 3x in a row, nobody cares about your post count

Opethian

I care. How else would anyone fit in without a high post count? I was lucky to inherit 1000 posts is a raffle.
Thanks Dino!
IMG

geise

LostFlunky

Turbo Express' will go through the roof when Enemy of the State II comes out...

The progression for eBay prices is as follows:

Day 1:  Super Star Soldier sells in an auction where 17 bidders bid the price up to $37.36...

Day 2: Seller A - a real sleazeball - lists Super Star Soldier @ $999 FREE SHIPPING!!! to phish for a sucker.

Day 3: Seller B - a wily sleazeball - sees Seller A's listing and thinks to himself, "Someone is going to be dumb enough to mistake the $999 asking price for the game's value.  He promptly lists Super Star Soldier for the BARGAIN LQQK!!! price of $499 FREE-ER SHIPPING!2X

Day 4: Excited buyer sees Seller B's listing at HALF (!) the price of Seller A's listing and pulls the trigger!  $499 HALF PRICE MUTHAFUCKA!!!!

Day 5: Super Star Soldier sells in an auction where 2 bidders bid the price up to $599...

Disclaimer: The word 'Day' as used in the above example may not represent actual days, in as much as they represent the passage of an indeterminate amount of time.

esteban

^best disclaimer I have read today. Awesome.  :pcgs:

VestCunt

God, this sucks! Why is Game X so expensive?!? I need it for my collection! I'll pay anything for it! But I'm going to bitch about it here first to generate sympathy so someone will hook me up with a deal... even though I've only been a member for two weeks.

Also, I'm going to inadvertently raise its value and hype even more by cross-posting desperate WTB's on six different forums and speculative hearsay regarding how many copies exist.
Topic Adjourned.

VestCunt

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 05/30/2014, 03:07 PMTurbo Express' will go through the roof when Enemy of the State II comes out...

Day 1:  Super Star Soldier sells in an auction where 17 bidders bid the price up to $37.36...

Day 2: Seller A - a real sleazeball - lists Super Star Soldier @ $999 FREE SHIPPING!!! to phish for a sucker.

Day 3: Seller B - a wily sleazeball - sees Seller A's listing and thinks to himself, "Someone is going to be dumb enough to mistake the $999 asking price for the game's value.  He promptly lists Super Star Soldier for the BARGAIN LQQK!!! price of $499 FREE-ER SHIPPING!2X

Day 4: Excited buyer sees Seller B's listing at HALF (!) the price of Seller A's listing and pulls the trigger!  $499 HALF PRICE MUTHAFUCKA!!!!

Day 5: Super Star Soldier sells in an auction where 2 bidders bid the price up to $599...
Day 6: sold listings compiled by videogame.pricecharting.com, become irrefutable proof of value.

Day 7: noob cites videogame.pricecharting in the "gouging" thread to defend resellers from surly PCEFX veterans.
Topic Adjourned.

tggodfrey

Quote from: guest on 05/30/2014, 05:39 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 05/30/2014, 03:07 PMTurbo Express' will go through the roof when Enemy of the State II comes out...

Day 7: noob cites videogame.pricecharting in the "gouging" thread to defend resellers from surly PCEFX veterans.
Yup...... I hate this
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Nulltard on 05/29/2014, 07:13 PMso you're the dickhead who was buying up all the ore...

I thought it was known fact that there exists at least 1 hoard of magical chaise.  I think Black Tiger or Dungeonmaster Dan mentioned that a time or few over the years.
IMG
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/30/2014, 09:14 AM@toymachine you don't need to post 2 or 3x in a row, nobody cares about your post count
. Nurr... And nobody cares about your shitty comment. Not trying to "Up" my post count. Just trying inject some intellectual content to the thread. I was responding to different posts ass!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 05/30/2014, 11:42 PMIMG
Fucking shadow government always trying to raise the prices...of...Turbo...Grafx....games...???

Could be true.
IMG

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2014, 12:17 AM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/30/2014, 09:14 AM@toymachine you don't need to post 2 or 3x in a row, nobody cares about your post count
. Nurr... And nobody cares about your shitty comment. Not trying to "Up" my post count. Just trying inject some intellectual content to the thread. I was responding to different posts ass!
Sometimes its best to quote multiple people and comment on each all in one post.   Punk may be a hipster douche but hes no ass. . ;)

ToyMachine78

That's easy to do when you are using a conventional PC, but is not worth the aggravation when you are limited to your phone or tablet.

bob

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2014, 11:27 AMThat's easy to do when you are using a conventional PC, but is not worth the aggravation when you are limited to your phone or tablet.
...kind of agree with this.  it's a pain in the ass on a phone.

BlueBMW

It is a pain, but i can be done ;)  I probably make 80% of my posts here from my phone rather than PC.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/01/2014, 01:18 PMIt is a pain, but i can be done ;)  I probably make 80% of my posts here from my phone rather than PC.
.  Well don't get pissed at me because I don't have the patience to do it. On the other hand it is rare that I want or need to post multiple responses. I'm definitely not a post digger though lol

PunkCryborg

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2014, 11:27 AMThat's easy to do when you are using a conventional PC, but is not worth the aggravation when you are limited to your phone or tablet.
I use my phone most the time I'm on here including now

Quote from: galam on 06/01/2014, 01:05 PM...kind of agree with this.  it's a pain in the ass on a phone.
you are a pain in the ass on a phone

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/01/2014, 01:18 PMIt is a pain, but i can be done ;)  I probably make 80% of my posts here from my phone rather than PC.
Yeah just quote each one on the main screen the snip it up on the preview screen, works great

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2014, 01:27 PMSame here, blue.  I just hit 'quote' on everyone I want to reply to, then scroll between the quote tags and type my responses, then hit 'preview'.  If I've botched it by typing between the wrong quote tags, I simply curse and fling my phone at the ceiling fan to ensure it is thoroughly destroyed before I go buy a new phone.  Otherwise, I click 'post'.  I find this to be the easiest way of keeping one's post count down while using a mobile device.
.  Nully.... Is this you? You and this blogger have the same sense of humor. His actual blog is the second link. Funny shit :)

http://m.tickld.com/x/i-wish-this-man-was-my-father-hes-hilarious

http://27bslash6.com/

majors

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2014, 12:17 AMJust trying inject some intellectual content to the thread.
^Made my day! Such laugh, so smiles...thanks.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)