The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
IMG
Main Menu

Star Wars games

Started by bob, 06/17/2014, 11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

Im sitting in north conway, NH right now and one of the family guy star wars episodes came on. It got me thinking about star wars vid games.

Which ones do you like?  I have never looked into the proper history of SW games, but i was always under the impression that Lucas never actually developed a SW game in house. It was always easier and more lucrative to just farm out the license to third parties which resulted in a lot of hit and misses. Is this true?  I dont know. Now, i have never played any of the PC MMOs, but a few that come to mind that i really enjoyed are...

Dark Forces (PC/PS1): This may just be a timing thing. Came out while Doom was all the rage and it was great to have a FPS set in the SW universe. Simple shooter fun.

Jedi Academy (PC):  One of the few PC games i actually completed. I loved the implementation of all the force powers and i didnt know anything about this game before i played it. Fun puzzles and i very much enjoyed the Rancor stage. Good 3rd person action game and swift progression.

Power of the Force (GBA):  Fun game that takes you through the original trilogy. Standard GBA fare that i have played through many, many times. Some variety to the levels where you fly the ships and speeder bikes, but mostly a platformer. All the significant scenes are covered.

Force Unleashed 1&2 (PS3):  I couldnt put the first one down until i completed it. Good 3rd person action game with no real surprises in terms of innovative gameplay. Lots of people panned it for being very buggy, which it is. The damn scene where you pull down the star destroyer is a mess. The on screen controls are reversed from what you actually have to do. All in all, i loved the game though. Second one was a sloppy, short affair and waaaay too easy. But i forgive it. Loved it too.

Lego Original Trilogy (GC): i havent gotten too far in this and i have never played a Lego game before, but i see the appeal and im anxious to pick it up again.  LOTS of fun.

One strange entry to mention is the Rebel Assault games. I get DESTROYED in these, but i keep coming back for more. Just not clicking with me, but i want to enjoy them.

roflmao

For me, the Lego Star Wars game teeter-totters between "Woo-Hoo, this is awesome!" to "WTF!?"  They throw in a ton of puzzles that you have to figure out while fending off hordes of enemy-fire and you'll die over and over and over and over again.

I loved X-Wing on the PC bitd, though I haven't played it in ages, so won't comment on how well it's aged. 

I also loved playing SW:Battlefront on the PS2 back when it had a thriving online following.

My guilty pleasure, though, was the Phantom Menace Pod racer game for the N64. 

Oh crumb, I almost about Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox.  That game was non-stop AWESOME.

BlueBMW

I remember my dad bought some cyrix overdrive 486 cpu for our 386 just so we could run Rebel Assault.  We played the crap outta that one.  I didnt realize it at the time but its just an FMV game lol.

As far as star wars games I really enjoyed...

Dark Forces and Jedi Knight (PC)  Both were fun shooters that had what felt like real objectives.  And they werent as creepy and scaty as Doom was at the time.  The light saber and force abilities in Jedi Knight were sweet.

Star Wars Rebellion (PC)   I really enjoyed and still enjoy this one.  Its more of a strategy game but in what other game can you churn out star destroyers or build the Death Star...  While some parts are tedious and annoying I enjoy the bulk of this game.

Rogue Squadron (N64 and GCN)   I thought the first one on N64 was fantastic and made the expansion pack worth it.  The launch Gamecube title was stunning at the time and played really well.  I still enjoy both of these games to this day.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

HailingTheThings

Shadows of the Empire for the that one system we all love...the N64. Played it alot when I was younger, had fun. Played it recently, it looks like garbage, but it's still kinda fun, I guess.

oops sorry, forgot you hate me, so nvm.
IMG

ClodBusted

I didn't play lots of Star Wars games, but my favorite is still Rogue Squadron on N64. Gold medals on every level, even the three hidden ones, means I've spent too much time with this game.
RSII and RSIII on GameCube are amazing from a graphical standpoint, but I never found their game play too be as tight and well designed as it was on the N64. Having to switch on the targeting computer hud for successfully chasing enemies spoils the fun and makes the graphics worse due too the violet/yellow screen filling hud overlay.
Episode 1 racer is a damn tough game on the last tracks. I went far through it, but could never finish it.
Jedi Knight was cool, but since I played it a decade after the release, I lost interest in the first levels. Seems like Quake 2 was more interesting to me.

o.pwuaioc

All I know is that I feel really alone loathing Episode 1 Racer.

ParanoiaDragon

I don't think it'll ever happen, especially seeing as how all the expanded universe stuff is non-canonical now :evil: but I'd love to see an HD collection of the Jedi Knight/Kyle Katarn series:
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Jedi Knight: Jedi Accademy
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TR0N

G
Quote from: esteban on 06/18/2014, 08:03 AMANSWER: NONE.
Good,good let the hate flow give in to the dark side  :roll:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NecroPhile

-  I played The Empire Strikes Back on the 2600 for hours back in the day, though I never had the opportunity to try the other ones for the 2600.
-  All of the SW Lego games are good, with the expected humour, puzzles, and collectible stuffs.
-  Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were fun diversions from regular (boring) FPS.  A real story line is kinda rare in that genre.
-  Galactic Battlegrounds was a good time sink.  It's no Command & Conquer, but it hit all the right buttons for a RTS.
-  Knights of the Old Republic I and II are damn good RPGs; kinda surprising this franchise died out.
-  Yoda Stories is rather limited, easy, and kinda goofy, but I still wasted a lot of time playing it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MrFlutterPie

I like all of the N64 titles.  Shadows of the Empire is a favorite of mine.  Even Episode 1 Racer is really good.  The sense of speed is crazy!

I also agree about the rogue squadron titles on the Gamecube.

Ninja Spirit

The SNES Super Star Wars trilogy

N64 Shadows of the Empire

Famicom Namco Star Wars

BlueBMW

Haha I forgot about Yoda Stories... Man I wasted some time with that one...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

xcrement5x

I also really enjoyed the Force Unleashed games.

I played a ton of Rebel Assault on the Sega CD growing up too, OSWAFL!

Shadows of the Empire on the 64 was fun too but I didn't play that near as much.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

bob

Necro, good call on the 2600 games. RotJ was a great deal of fun too on the 'ol wooden box.
I have never touched any rogue squadron game and now im curious.
Forgot about battlefront which is surprising because i killed hours on that on the PC too.

DeshDildo

From what little I've played the SNES trilogy is good but hard enough that it may cause controller tosses.

Shadows of the Empire was GREAT.  I still pop that in from time to time.  It has aged but is still enjoyable

Ep. 1 Racer was SWEET!  I honestly thought I was one of the few people who liked it.

I have been searching for a copy of Rogue Squadron on GC or 64 because I heard it was good but never played it.  You guys have convinced me that I must get a copy.

I played a bit of Battlefront II for Xbox and that seemed to be pretty damn good as well.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Desh on 06/18/2014, 05:53 PMFrom what little I've played the SNES trilogy is good but hard enough that it may cause controller tosses.

Shadows of the Empire was GREAT.  I still pop that in from time to time.  It has aged but is still enjoyable

Ep. 1 Racer was SWEET!  I honestly thought I was one of the few people who liked it.

I have been searching for a copy of Rogue Squadron on GC or 64 because I heard it was good but never played it.  You guys have convinced me that I must get a copy.

I played a bit of Battlefront II for Xbox and that seemed to be pretty damn good as well.
Republic commander for the original Xbox. It's a must

Starwars dark empire (doom clone)

Get all three GameCube rouge squaderans and the demo game cube port of the arcade game

The forced unleashed was also good and you can get both games game of year editions used for less teh a single new game

As fore sega Starwars games.  I don't know try the sega cd battle chest game.

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/18/2014, 06:58 PM
Quote from: Desh on 06/18/2014, 05:53 PMFrom what little I've played the SNES trilogy is good but hard enough that it may cause controller tosses.

Get all three GameCube rouge squaderans and the demo game cube port of the arcade game
There's only two rouge squadrons on the gamecube.No the demo doesn't count,beside the fact all three atari star wars arcade games can be unlocked in part two.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TR0N on 06/19/2014, 02:34 AM

There's only two rouge squadrons on the gamecube.No the demo doesn't count,beside the fact all three atari star wars arcade games can be unlocked in part two.
Oh yes yes yes.  The first game was for the N64 and the later two for the GameCube.

bob

Looks like i need to get my hands on these rogue squadron games.

xcrement5x

Oh yeah!  I also forgot about Star Wars Arcade for the 32X!  That's a pretty solid title.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

bob

I just won RS3 on the bay for $3, shipped from my own state.
And RS2 for $6.50.
 :dance:

Medic_wheat

Quote from: galam on 06/19/2014, 04:25 PMI just won RS3 on the bay for $3, shipped from my own state.
 :dance:
Nice with case?

bob

LOL. yes, fully complete.

InfraMan

For me, nothing beats the original Star Wars vector arcade game... there are some decent home conversions of it, but you really need that awesome controller to get the full effect.

Also, I really dig Knights of the Old Republic on the original Xbox.

And all the Lego Star Wars games... and the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games on PC.

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/19/2014, 09:14 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 06/19/2014, 02:34 AM

Oh yes yes yes.  The first game was for the N64 and the later two for the GameCube. 
That's right when you said three i was like what !?
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: InfraMan on 06/19/2014, 08:15 PMFor me, nothing beats the original Star Wars vector arcade game... there are some decent home conversions of it, but you really need that awesome controller to get the full effect.

Also, I really dig Knights of the Old Republic on the original Xbox.

And all the Lego Star Wars games... and the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games on PC.
I remember in the 90s when I got to play the sit down arcade game.  Had to be of the first movie due to the death star run at the end.  It was like a religious experience.  I dontremmeber anything else from that family vacation as well as getting to play that arcade while visiting some them park at Dallas tx.

Sure that light savor stand up arcade game that came out when episode 1 or 2 was neat, but it didn't suck you in like the way some older arcade games could.

Medic_wheat

Am I the only one who likes "republic commander" for the Xbox?

Pffhhhh f you guys I am taking my ball and going home.  I'm telling my mom not to let me play with you anymore so THERE!

But seriously try republic commander it's very good and to me over looked generally for the more well known knights of the old republic games from its time.

esteban

UPDATE: Star Wars, and it's games, suck my left one. Stop this thread now.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mzo

It's sad that so few of you seem to have played X-Wing, Tie Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance.  They're excellent space flight "simulators."  The main gameplay mechanic was the ability to shunt energy between thrusters, shields, and weapons.  The games had a fantastic UI, great controls (with a flightstick), and a definite lean towards arcade more than simulation.  The CD versions also had excellent voice acting.  X-wing is a pretty early game that suffers from repetitive missions and some janky limitations (a space station is like 4 cargo containers roped together, lol) but Tie Fighter is beyond excellent and features a story campaign starring Admiral Thrawn, the only good character to emerge from the shit pile that is the extended universe.  Alliance was a return to form after the misstep of the vs. game, but Tie Fighter still gets top billing as the best of the Star Wars flight sims.

I honestly can't recommend Tie Fighter enough.

If you find you really like space flight sims, there's also the Wing Commander series and Descent: Freespace 1 and 2.  Freespace especially is just a shameless rip-off of Larry Holland's games but does bring something new to the table with branching story paths from mission failures.  Good stuff!  I guess we will also have Star Citizen some time in the distant future...

N64 Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, and GC Rogue Squadron 2 were also very good games.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Mzo on 06/21/2014, 01:40 PMIt's sad that so few of you seem to have played X-Wing, Tie Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance.  They're excellent space flight "simulators."  The main gameplay mechanic was the ability to shunt energy between thrusters, shields, and weapons.  The games had a fantastic UI, great controls (with a flightstick), and a definite lean towards arcade more than simulation.  The CD versions also had excellent voice acting.  X-wing is a pretty early game that suffers from repetitive missions and some janky limitations (a space station is like 4 cargo containers roped together, lol) but Tie Fighter is beyond excellent and features a story campaign starring Admiral Thrawn, the only good character to emerge from the shit pile that is the extended universe.  Alliance was a return to form after the misstep of the vs. game, but Tie Fighter still gets top billing as the best of the Star Wars flight sims.

I honestly can't recommend Tie Fighter enough.

If you find you really like space flight sims, there's also the Wing Commander series and Descent: Freespace 1 and 2.  Freespace especially is just a shameless rip-off of Larry Holland's games but does bring something new to the table with branching story paths from mission failures.  Good stuff!  I guess we will also have Star Citizen some time in the distant future...

N64 Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, and GC Rogue Squadron 2 were also very good games.
Those where all pc games werent they?

Sadly I have never been mich of a pc gamer. I really should with things like steam I have no excuse.

BlueBMW

Speaking of Dark Forces again...  When I was a weee little one playing that game I used to get totally freaked out by those Dianogas in the third level.  Creeping through dark sewers and randomly seeing one of those eyes pop up in the distance only to have it show up behind you attacking you a second later!  Gahh!!

IMG

blueraven

Quote from: Mzo on 06/21/2014, 01:40 PMIt's sad that so few of you seem to have played X-Wing, Tie Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance.  They're excellent space flight "simulators."  The main gameplay mechanic was the ability to shunt energy between thrusters, shields, and weapons.  The games had a fantastic UI, great controls (with a flightstick), and a definite lean towards arcade more than simulation.  The CD versions also had excellent voice acting. 
I beat all three of these, and got the B-Wing addon, and of course used the entire keyboard as my control panel. Quite possibly the best flight simulator of all time imho.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/21/2014, 03:57 PMWhen I was a weee little one playing that game I used to get totally freaked out by those Dianogas in the third level.  Creeping through dark sewers and randomly seeing one of those eyes pop up in the distance only to have it show up behind you attacking you a second later!  Gahh!!

IMG
Dianogas still creep me out because of the level where you take the sewer entrance to Xizor's Palace in Shadows of the Empire.
IMG