10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Show Some Neo Geo Pocket Color Love!

Started by sosoyo180, 08/15/2014, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sosoyo180

Just picked up a Yellow Crystal model with two games yesterday and I can say that i'm already in love with it!

Anyone else wanna share the love?
12 hard black inches of pure fun, the TurboGrafx 16.

vexcollects

I've owned a few over the years and I have a few games for mine right now, but I have not played it in a while. Maybe I'll fire it up this weekend.

o.pwuaioc

This is actually a really, really good handheld. The stick on it is far better than anything else. Quite perfect, in fact. One of these days I'm going to bother getting it backlit.

sosoyo180

Quote from: guest on 08/15/2014, 09:56 PMThis is actually a really, really good handheld. The stick on it is far better than anything else. Quite perfect, in fact. One of these days I'm going to bother getting it backlit.
The stick is phenomenal, I dunno, something about it just sounds so satisfying to me!

If I ever gain the competence to do a mod like that I'll have to give it a try but until then my system's gonna stay diurnal...

munchiaz

I was thinking about this handheld today. I need to get somemore games for it. Really need to get my hands on capcom vs snk card fighters. If anyo e has a spare let me know

bob

i bought one for $100 with 20 games about a year ago. hated it.
no backlight made it unplayable. gave it away a week later.

vexcollects

Thinking about getting mine front lit. I find it so annoying that a can't see the screen properly. Anyone here ever get that done? Is it worth it?

InfraMan

I love the NGPC... especially that clicky, clicky stick! There may not be a whole lot of games available for it, but the good stuff:crap ratio is definitely tilted heavily in the favor of good stuff.

Plus, Card Fighter's Clash is one of my all-time favorite games. 8)

Gao

Yeah, this thing had an amazing library for having such a short lifespan.  SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium and Metal Slug 2nd Mission are must haves, but as long as you avoid the gambling games, you're virtually guaranteed to pick up something that's at least decent.  I'm going to recommend Biomotor Unitron and Faselei as good pickups.  The former is a Pokemon inspired game about building a giant robot, and the latter is a strategy game with a frankly bizarre gameplay gimmick that works about 100 times better than it should.  You have to put in all commands for your mech before a turn without any indication as to what your enemy is going to do beyond patterns you've observed.  Somehow this made for a tense, strategic game with surprisingly little frustration.

Mishran

I never really got into the system. I ended up selling mine with the five games I had for it a couple years back. Don't regret it either.

DragonmasterDan

I love the NGPC.

There's a few too many fighters with the exact same engine, but the hardware is great and there's enough unique games and a good variety of software on the platform to make it worthwhile.
--DragonmasterDan

pulstar

It is almost the Dreamcast of the hand held market. Great library for such a short amount of time, new ideas (admittedly the stick was awesome but didn't catch on (unless you count analogue, which I won't)) and really fun to play. The screen is the only issue but if you have it front-lighted it's pretty nice.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Medic_wheat

Apart from trying out a demo unit back in the day at some game store I couldn't recall the name to with a gun to my head I have a fleating abilty to recall anything about this hand held apart from a decent Metal Slug port and a super deformed fighter based off KOF ...  oh and one of the Final Fantasies I think as well.

was there any other games that are must plays (not must own, not must have) simply must try the Neo Geo Pocket Color (as it as an interesting port, or only found on this system).

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/18/2014, 12:08 PMApart from trying out a demo unit back in the day at some game store I couldn't recall the name to with a gun to my head I have a fleating abilty to recall anything about this hand held apart from a decent Metal Slug port and a super deformed fighter based off KOF ...  oh and one of the Final Fantasies I think as well.

was there any other games that are must plays (not must own, not must have) simply must try the Neo Geo Pocket Color (as it as an interesting port, or only found on this system).
It sounds like you have it confused with the Wonderswan Color. There were no Final Fantasy games on it.

Probably the two biggest titles for the system were Sonic The Hedgehog and SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millennium
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/18/2014, 02:36 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/18/2014, 12:08 PMApart from trying out a demo unit back in the day at some game store I couldn't recall the name to with a gun to my head I have a fleating abilty to recall anything about this hand held apart from a decent Metal Slug port and a super deformed fighter based off KOF ...  oh and one of the Final Fantasies I think as well.

It sounds like you have it confused with the Wonderswan Color. There were no Final Fantasy games on it.

Probably the two biggest titles for the system were Sonic The Hedgehog and SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millennium
You are right.  I got the two mixed up.

Looked on ebay.  What there is a copy of cotton on this?  Eh to expensive.

Wait there is a copy of magical chase on gb color! 

Nope to expensive. 

Hey look a penny!

o.pwuaioc

I know I must be missing some, but here's my small collection (of a small library). What am I missing? What of these do you just love?

Bust-A-Move Pocket
Dark Arms: Beast Buster 1999
Faselei!
Fatal Fury: First Contact
King of Fighters R-2
Metal Slug: 1st Mission
Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
Pac-Man
Samurai Shodown! 2
SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog: Pocket Adventure

Before anyone rolls their eyes at Pac-Man, there is literally no better port of the game except for 7800 homebrew (emulated on Namco discs don't count).

InfraMan

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 02:31 AMI know I must be missing some, but here's my small collection (of a small library). What am I missing? What of these do you just love?
No Card Fighters Clash?? Sacrilege!

Off the top of my head, you might also like Puyo Pop, Gals Fighters,  Biomotor Unitron, and Crush Roller.

sosoyo180

Quote from: InfraMan on 08/19/2014, 11:41 AMNo Card Fighters Clash?? Sacrilege!
Not gonna lie, I tried out card fighters today and I just could not get into it. Sorry ok! Maybe there was something I was missing but it just wasn't for me.

o.pwuaioc

I'm the same way on Card Fighters, and those kinds of games in general. If I want to play a card game, I want it far more in depth than the simplistic ones video games give me.

However, I do need to acquire Crush Roller, Puyo Pop, and Gals Fighter I've definitely been meaning to get. I hadn't thought of Biomoto Unitron: what sort of RPG is it?

Ayce

I am a huge NGP fan. If your interested here is some information on a project that I started years ago concerning the NGP.
IMG
http://www.cardfighterproject.com

As for BiomotorUnitron
That is a great game. You play as a Unitron operator and have to build up it's experience and modify it's weaponry to put him into tournaments. It's a really simple gameplay style, but such a fun game. I didn't enjoy the 2nd game as much, but then again I don't speak Japanese.

InfraMan

Quote from: sosoyo180 on 08/27/2014, 12:28 AM
Quote from: InfraMan on 08/19/2014, 11:41 AMNo Card Fighters Clash?? Sacrilege!
Not gonna lie, I tried out card fighters today and I just could not get into it. Sorry ok! Maybe there was something I was missing but it just wasn't for me.
No worries, I'm sure it's not for everyone. I don't usually care for card-collecting games myself, but I think being a big Capcom and SNK fan probably helps... so much great artwork!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Ayce on 08/27/2014, 06:31 PMI am a huge NGP fan. If your interested here is some information on a project that I started years ago concerning the NGP.
IMG

As for BiomotorUnitron
That is a great game. You play as a Unitron operator and have to build up it's experience and modify it's weaponry to put him into tournaments. It's a really simple gameplay style, but such a fun game. I didn't enjoy the 2nd game as much, but then again I don't speak Japanese.
I'm also a follower of the CardFighter Project and am really stoked to see all the work AYCE put into it!  Very awesome!!   I think at first I wasn't the biggest fan of the game either, but it grows on you.  Especially when you start getting to the larger areas and acquire some classic SNK/Capcom cards.  The areas you get to and people you meet really gave this one a TON of charm.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

wyndcrosser

I've got all the UK releases, except Dive Alert Becky, Neo Baccarat, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, and Gal's Fighters.

Great little system. I recommend a FlashMasta if you wanna play all the games.

I'm building a NGPocket site, so you should come check it out in the future.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: wyndcrosser on 08/29/2014, 11:11 PMI've got all the UK releases, except Dive Alert Becky, Neo Baccarat, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, and Gal's Fighters.

Back in the early days of the system I ran a Neo-Geo pocket site too. https://web.archive.org/web/20031230052121/http://ngpczone.com/
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/02/2014, 01:52 PM
Quote from: wyndcrosser on 08/29/2014, 11:11 PMI've got all the UK releases, except Dive Alert Becky, Neo Baccarat, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, and Gal's Fighters.

Back in the early days of the system I ran a Neo-Geo pocket site too. https://web.archive.org/web/20031230052121/http://ngpczone.com/
"Thank you for reading my boring bio"
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Anyone know of an NGPC emu where you can turn the various sound channels on & off?  I want to sample some of the instruments in the Mega Man Power Fighters game for a project I'm working on, & I want to be as accurate as possible!
IMG

cr8zykuban0

showing some ngpc love. my neo pocket collection!

IMG

InfraMan

^^ Very nice!

This thread actually inspired me to go back and re-play Bio Motor Unitron and Dark Arms. I think I'll tackle the awesome Faselei! next. =D>

o.pwuaioc

Man, why is Rockman NGPC so expensive? :-k

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: InfraMan on 09/20/2014, 10:29 PM^^ Very nice!

This thread actually inspired me to go back and re-play Bio Motor Unitron and Dark Arms. I think I'll tackle the awesome Faselei! next. =D>
thanks man! go play those games! those 2 games are awesome! I really like dark arms!!!

Gao

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2014, 12:01 AMMan, why is Rockman NGPC so expensive? :-k
Probably because the Rockman name means that a whole bunch of collectors who otherwise don't give two shits about the NGPC want a copy.  If it makes you feel better, it's not really one of the highlights of the NGPC library.  It's decent, but that's about it.

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: Gao on 09/21/2014, 12:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/21/2014, 12:01 AMMan, why is Rockman NGPC so expensive? :-k
Probably because the Rockman name means that a whole bunch of collectors who otherwise don't give two shits about the NGPC want a copy.  If it makes you feel better, it's not really one of the highlights of the NGPC library.  It's decent, but that's about it.
they see the word megaman/rockman and they automatically want it!  how much is that game going for anyways?

o.pwuaioc

The ones I see on ebay ask for over $100.

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2014, 04:25 PMThe ones I see on ebay ask for over $100.
damn, complete in box or cart only?

cjameslv

Yep NGPC is great! I have the silver one and 2 games currently. There my 2 favs tho: Biomotor Unitron & Card Fighters Clash (Capcom version).

/2e2fhxi.jpg

sosoyo180

Man I've been looking everywhere for Biomotor Unitron, that's one I reaaaly want. Enjoy...

(cough) willing to buy it off you, if you're interested (cough)

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: sosoyo180 on 10/19/2014, 08:49 PMMan I've been looking everywhere for Biomotor Unitron, that's one I reaaaly want. Enjoy...

I'll pay you more than sosoyo.

cjameslv

Quote from: guest on 10/19/2014, 08:55 PM
Quote from: sosoyo180 on 10/19/2014, 08:49 PMMan I've been looking everywhere for Biomotor Unitron, that's one I reaaaly want. Enjoy...

Let the bidding begin! Lol seriously though i'm always open to offers. Either of you can pm me about it if you really want it.

sosoyo180

Quote from: cjameslv on 10/20/2014, 01:05 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/19/2014, 08:55 PM

Let the bidding begin! Lol seriously though i'm always open to offers. Either of you can pm me about it if you really want it.
Ah I was just (semi) joking around, she's all yours pwuaioc if you want it that bad.

o.pwuaioc

Honestly, I can't take one of the two games you own for the system. That wouldn't be right!

paybacks3

Gentlemen good day .

Just picked up my 1st Neo Geo Pocket and boy am I in love. Why didnt i pick this thing up when I was a kid ? I'm in my 30's now , and appreciate this little handheld so much more for what it was doing when it came out . The thumb-stick is insane . One downfall which everyone complains about is it not being back-lit. I'm currently on the hunt for someone to front-lit mod it for me. So what i did was install a Pocket Emulator on my PSP and no way does it compare to the real thing. Just wanted to throw that out there since I was a huge fan of Emulation at one point. Well here's what i picked up , also have Cap Vs SNK MOTM on its way picked it up from Ebay since NGPC games are hard to come by in my area on CLIST or even online forums. Next thing up on the list will probably be Dark Arms since everyone is raving about it .

SAMURAI SHODOWN 2
PACMAN
METAL SLUG MISS
KING OF FIGHTER R-2
FATAL FURY FIRST CONTACT
PICTURE PUZZLE

IMG

Quote from: Ayce on 08/27/2014, 06:31 PMI am a huge NGP fan. If your interested here is some information on a project that I started years ago concerning the NGP.
IMG

As for BiomotorUnitron
Awesome project just saw an old unboxing video of the deck they came out pretty sick. Defiantly something i need to pick up and have on display in the game room.
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

This is my current NGPC playlist-

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

sosoyo180

^Best part of the whole collection, the receipt.

(and Neo Turf Masters)

cjameslv

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/31/2014, 11:05 AMThis is my current NGPC playlist-

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
Ahh man, dat metal slug! I gotta find that title.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: paybacks3 on 10/30/2014, 01:44 PMGentlemen good day .

Just picked up my 1st Neo Geo Pocket and boy am I in love. Why didnt i pick this thing up when I was a kid ? I'm in my 30's now , and appreciate this little handheld so much more for what it was doing when it came out . The thumb-stick is insane . One downfall which everyone complains about is it not being back-lit. I'm currently on the hunt for someone to front-lit mod it for me. So what i did was install a Pocket Emulator on my PSP and no way does it compare to the real thing. Just wanted to throw that out there since I was a huge fan of Emulation at one point. Well here's what i picked up , also have Cap Vs SNK MOTM on its way picked it up from Ebay since NGPC games are hard to come by in my area on CLIST or even online forums. Next thing up on the list will probably be Dark Arms since everyone is raving about it .
They did sell Wormlights, knock-off wormlights call Cow lights and other peripherals to compensate for the back of backlighting.  Even when the frontlight mod is done (usually by sacrificing a GBA SP screen) it still doesn't give an even amount of lighting.
--DragonmasterDan

cjameslv

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/04/2014, 03:04 PM
Quote from: paybacks3 on 10/30/2014, 01:44 PMGentlemen good day .

They did sell Wormlights, knock-off wormlights call Cow lights and other peripherals to compensate for the back of backlighting.  Even when the frontlight mod is done (usually by sacrificing a GBA SP screen) it still doesn't give an even amount of lighting.
I remember looking for the wormlight. It was way overpriced! The cheapest i found it was $50 loose and way above that for a boxed unit. I gave up that search lol.

Fidde_se

GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

paybacks3

Quote from: Fidde_se on 11/04/2014, 05:30 PMDSC_0202.webp
This is what i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddd !!!

just got in MOTM
IMG

sosoyo180

I just started playing Dark Arms: Beast Buster 1999, and I frickin' love it! It's got a fairly deep weapon creation system for a handheld and it's super fun. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a solid NGPC games that's cheap and isn't just a fighting game :D