@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

AES or MVS?

Started by ToyMachine78, 08/31/2014, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/03/2014, 08:18 AMThe major reason i am anti-AES is the boots.

I am not totally opposed to paying a high price for an AES game, but I am 90% that all of the high priced games out there now are fake.  That is the one reason I refuse to pick up Sengoku 3 to complete my beat-em-up collection, I fear being swindled.

SuperD, that's very nice1
Nah, there are no boots. Btw, I have a US Aero Fighters 3 AES I'd like to sell you. $30,000 OK?

pulstar

Quote from: guest on 09/03/2014, 12:20 PMNah, there are no boots. Btw, I have a US Aero Fighters 3 AES I'd like to sell you. $30,000 OK?
:lol: Don't joke about things like that. Someone might think you're serious and offer you a cash deal :lol:
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

BigusSchmuck

Wow, just looking at the price list of the AES games makes you wonder who on earth has thousands of $$$ to get some of these games? That's insane..

TheClash603

Quote from: pulstar on 09/03/2014, 06:01 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/03/2014, 12:20 PMNah, there are no boots. Btw, I have a US Aero Fighters 3 AES I'd like to sell you. $30,000 OK?
:lol: Don't joke about things like that. Someone might think you're serious and offer you a cash deal :lol:
Damn, wish it weren't a joke.

bartre

man, retro gaming in general is pretty much a joke these days.

i fucking hate nerds.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/03/2014, 08:27 PM
Ya really don't:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?236232-The-Final-Chapter-of-the-Fake-Aerofighters-3-I-Need-your-help-%28-NGDEV-TEAM-161-in1-ETC%29

bust3dstr8

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 09/03/2014, 07:51 AMAs stated, it's a bit too late to get into the AES game for normal people.  Haven't bought a new cart in roughly 4 years or so...   I love the shooties.

IMG

And the Slugs, gotta have the Slugs!

IMG

I have quite a few more, these are all old pics.

IMG
Wow...nice collection there SuperD. How many of your Realdollz did you need to sell for it...two?...or all three?
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

ToyMachine78

Tell me about it.... That's prob the ultimate gouge on eBay. The videogame X dude that has 2 metal gear bundles for sale... One for 1 million, and the complete anthology for 1.9 million. WTF!?

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 09/03/2014, 09:05 PM
Tell me about it.... That's prob the ultimate gouge on eBay. The videogame X dude that has 2 metal gear bundles for sale... One for 1 million, and the complete anthology for 1.9 million. WTF!?
He must think he has the next first apperance of superman f video games to sell the masses

Joe Redifer

I played both of the Sonic Wings games on the Neo Geo CD. They were the epitome of average. Absolutely nothing special or noteworthy about them. Even the music sucked. The average SNES shooter is much better.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/04/2014, 12:27 AMI played both of the Sonic Wings games on the Neo Geo CD. They were the epitome of average. Absolutely nothing special or noteworthy about them. Even the music sucked. The average SNES shooter is much better.
I thought they were better than average. I really liked the first one on the SNES, though. So much action and no slowdown.

Niko49

As a neo-geo guy I want to clear a few things up from this thread.

1.) If you go MVS, try to avoid 4 and 6 slot boards. They are notorious for issues, especially the 6 slot boards.
2.) MVS is going to be all around cheaper and give you more options but requires more 'up-keep'.
3.) They make MVS to AES converters for playing MVS carts on the AES, but are fairly expensive and not compatible with some multicarts.
4.) Multislot cabs and multislot boards are NOT JAMMA, but a variation that has stereo sound. Only the single slot boards, and cabs are JAMMA. Some single slot boards however are capable of outputing stereo via a header on the board or a 2.5mm headphone jack.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Niko49 on 09/04/2014, 09:25 AMAs a neo-geo guy I want to clear a few things up from this thread.

1.) If you go MVS, try to avoid 4 and 6 slot boards. They are notorious for issues, especially the 6 slot boards.
2.) MVS is going to be all around cheaper and give you more options but requires more 'up-keep'.
3.) They make MVS to AES converters for playing MVS carts on the AES, but are fairly expensive and not compatible with some multicarts.
4.) Multislot cabs and multislot boards are NOT JAMMA, but a variation that has stereo sound. Only the single slot boards, and cabs are JAMMA. Some single slot boards however are capable of outputing stereo via a header on the board or a 2.5mm headphone jack.
I guess I should one day invest in a MVS to AES converter so I can get more use out of my AES system.........and memory card

but I am such a tight wad! ........

jtucci31

Quote from: Niko49 on 09/04/2014, 09:25 AM3.) They make MVS to AES converters for playing MVS carts on the AES, but are fairly expensive and not compatible with some multicarts.
What would you recommend as the best one? I've seen a bunch and always here a mix of things about them. The Daedalus looked good but seems expensive and apparently the guy was ripping people off from what i heard. Something weird of the sorts

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2014, 11:38 AM....the guy was ripping people off from what i heard. Something weird of the sorts
Isnt that to be expected when it comes to Neo Geo stuff?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2014, 11:38 AM
Quote from: Niko49 on 09/04/2014, 09:25 AM3.) They make MVS to AES converters for playing MVS carts on the AES, but are fairly expensive and not compatible with some multicarts.
What would you recommend as the best one? I've seen a bunch and always here a mix of things about them. The Daedalus looked good but seems expensive and apparently the guy was ripping people off from what i heard. Something weird of the sorts
I want to hear more. 

But I dibt want to research. 

Someone tell us the chesmi

pulstar

Quote from: Niko49 on 09/04/2014, 09:25 AM4.) Multislot cabs and multislot boards are NOT JAMMA, but a variation that has stereo sound. Only the single slot boards, and cabs are JAMMA. Some single slot boards however are capable of outputing stereo via a header on the board or a 2.5mm headphone jack.
Pretty easy to solve this by an adapter (either MVS > JAMMA, or vice versa). 6 Slots are definitely the most failure prone (2 6 slots, 2 with faults), but the 4 slots I've had have always been solid.

The best MVS converter, IMO, is the MVS Magic Key. The latest version has very good compatibility and the scaling issue has been fixed. It also has region changing and a cheat menu built-in.

cr8zykuban0

I love both versions.  if you are on a budget, go for mvs. if you got the money, go for aes. I collect for aes, mvs and cd. aes is expensive but there are still good deals to be found on aes games if you are patient

EvilEvoIX

I have an AES and 22 games, it's getting stupid expensive though and I wouldn't recommend an AES these days unless you are looking to spend serious coin.  $900 for a 4 slot is crazy expensive, I got mine for half that with six games.  Looking into an Mvs and a multicart, cheapest way to get the full experience for the least amount of cash.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/03/2014, 08:42 PM
Ya really don't:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?236232-The-Final-Chapter-of-the-Fake-Aerofighters-3-I-Need-your-help-%28-NGDEV-TEAM-161-in1-ETC%29
Q: why haven't I been here for a few days?
A: I was reading that STUPID THREAD at n-g.com forums. Fake Aerofighters 3. I read all 46 pages of that garbage. Honestly, I don't know why. I will never do that again.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: esteban on 09/07/2014, 06:06 AMQ: why haven't I been here for a few days?
A: I was reading that STUPID THREAD at n-g.com forums. Fake Aerofighters 3. I read all 46 pages of that garbage. Honestly, I don't know why. I will never do that again.
Just wait until you find out that there are other threads connected to it. Rest easy, though, since of all the hilarious scandals to come out of N-G.com, this one takes the cake.

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 09/07/2014, 06:06 AMQ: why haven't I been here for a few days?
Please summarize what you read in no less than 27 pages of posts, but no more than 29 pages.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2014, 10:37 AM
Just wait until you find out that there are other threads connected to it. Rest easy, though, since of all the hilarious scandals to come out of N-G.com, this one takes the cake.
Damn! Other threads...crap, I gotta read them. I was actually starting to become curious about the history of some folks involved....you could tell it was total soap opera.

Also: DID TONK EVER SURFACE? Ever?

I'm serious.

So, yeah, post some links, to anything, because clearly I'm addicted now. Ha!  :pcgs:

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/07/2014, 12:46 PM
Please summarize what you read in no less than 27 pages of posts, but no more than 29 pages.
Hahahahahahahahaha!  :pcgs:

I can't believe how dysfunctional Internet forums are. Folks have such a desire for drama.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

majors

Loose and dirty

/IMG_20140907_204432.jpg

Neo collecting for the poor.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Medic_wheat

Is that SSV Specual real or a bootleg?

ToyMachine78

Quote from: majors on 09/08/2014, 12:08 PMLoose and dirty

/IMG_20140907_204432.jpg

Is that a HAL 9000 or just a garage door opener? :D

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2014, 08:17 PM
Quote from: majors on 09/08/2014, 12:08 PMLoose and dirty

/IMG_20140907_204432.jpg

damn, such a shame that those labels have seen better days but a good amount of games nonetheness

ooooh nice cps2 games down there

Is that a HAL 9000 or just a garage door opener? :D

EvilEvoIX

An AES with a proper Converter and a multicart can be the cheapest way now, a decent used AES is around $250-$350.  The converter is gona cost you but now some of them have built in BIOS now.  An AES outputs RGB right out of the box so SCART to a RGB converter and your set like a turbo Vette.

A consolidated 1 Slot may be a good way to go as well, but it's so nice to have an AES with a huge Cartridge Sticking out of it, very nice system to look at.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 09/10/2014, 11:03 AMAn AES with a proper Converter and a multicart can be the cheapest way now, a decent used AES is around $250-$350.  The converter is gona cost you but now some of them have built in BIOS now.  An AES outputs RGB right out of the box so SCART to a RGB converter and your set like a turbo Vette.

A consolidated 1 Slot may be a good way to go as well, but it's so nice to have an AES with a huge Cartridge Sticking out of it, very nice system to look at.
Some of the CMVS kits made are pretty nice to look at as well..

that Omega is one I particually like and would have gone with if I had not bought the all wood CMVS one I initaly bought that thrusted me into all that is Neo Geo......

CrackTiger

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 09/10/2014, 11:03 AMAn AES with a proper Converter and a multicart can be the cheapest way now, a decent used AES is around $250-$350.  The converter is gona cost you but now some of them have built in BIOS now.  An AES outputs RGB right out of the box so SCART to a RGB converter and your set like a turbo Vette.

The RGB output in AES systems is inconsistent. Even if you get one with better RGB output, it's supposed to still get better with a mod. Conveters are also all over the place and pricey. If AES systems are really that expensive now, then it would be cheaper just to buy an Omega cmvs and not deal with all the extra cables and potential issues. It looks and feels nice and won't scratch or crack so easily and looks much better without a transcoder and second power supply hanging off the back.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 09/10/2014, 12:35 PM

The RGB output in AES systems is inconsistent. Even if you get one with better RGB output, it's supposed to still get better with a mod. Conveters are also all over the place and pricey. If AES systems are really that expensive now, then it would be cheaper just to buy an Omega cmvs and not deal with all the extra cables and potential issues. It looks and feels nice and won't scratch or crack so easily and looks much better without a transcoder and second power supply hanging off the back.
With that Omega CMVS, can you still use the normal AES stick? And the NGCD pad as well? Always wondered that and never really knew, because then with the Omega, you'd just need some sort of controller if it didn't already come with it.

I have also seen some Omegas with or without the memory card capabilities. Along with rgb/s-vid mods. I've been thinking about getting an Omega CMVS, they look nice and seem to have everything i would want (as i stated though, if it had it all built in. Unibios as well? Not sure)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 09/10/2014, 02:00 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/10/2014, 12:35 PM

With that Omega CMVS, can you still use the normal AES stick? And the NGCD pad as well? Always wondered that and never really knew, because then with the Omega, you'd just need some sort of controller if it didn't already come with it.

I have also seen some Omegas with or without the memory card capabilities. Along with rgb/s-vid mods. I've been thinking about getting an Omega CMVS, they look nice and seem to have everything i would want (as i stated though, if it had it all built in. Unibios as well? Not sure)
I want to say that MOST of the CMVS conversons I have seen

mostly the Omega (which you can buy just the shel minus the NEO GEO One Slot if you preffer) and the Analouge CMVS support the AES controller, and the Neo Geo CD controller as they are the same plugs.

The Analouge CMVS does not support the memory card that the AES used (and the MVS Arcades), but you can buy one with a memory card in the system or send an older CMVS (before they made the "slim" model) to have their memeory card put in for game saves and I think Bios save states.  I will need to do this one day as I bought the first run of their CMVS before the slim model or the memory card option.

I am not to too familiour with the Omega but if you go/join the Neo Geo Forums the creator/seller of the Omega has a thread and is very approchable if you have questions.

If you do deside to go the MVS route you'll enjoy it....it can be customized to suit your needs, and looks really good in any gaming room.  The games are also much more affordable, and like the AES just be carefull .....do research on the game and compair the game boards to verify if it is a boot copy or a legit copy....

I have also found going MVS allows me to just keep the arcade verson and not mess with any ports of the games that honestly couldn't handle the games like an arcade could. 

I did buy some of the SNK compilations for the Wii and Xbox, but that is because these (to me) are perfect arcade ports/emulations that make wantign to play a compilation of games easyer then useing my MVS at times.  Although I am still missing the Wii port of the Metal Slug franchies...I need to pick that up one day, but I keep waiting to find it in the wild....might just ebay it if I can find a good bundle deal on some other Wii games I am still looking to add to my Wii Library.

CrackTiger

Most CMVS I've seen use Neo Geo controller ports. I have two Saturn pads that I had modified for Neo Geo that I combined the shell of skeletal pads with black/grey buttons for. My Omega has a single AV port like a modern console and has an s-video and component set of cables. So there's only ever a single cable for AV and it uses a power cord like a PC. It also has a newer revision of unibios. Even if you don't care about customizing games, unibios is a must have just for sound tests. The body feels like sturdy arcade plastic and swapping carts is no problem. I was always afraid of pushing a thumb through my AES when swapping out games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

EvilEvoIX

What would be the cheapest way to get a proper Neo Geo Setup these days?  Obviously not the Neo Geo X or tehzz Romzz!!1! but a real setup?  Man I wish I still had my Super Gun and single slot, that was an easy setup.
IMGIMGIMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 09/10/2014, 02:51 PMWhat would be the cheapest way to get a proper Neo Geo Setup these days?  Obviously not the Neo Geo X or tehzz Romzz!!1! but a real setup?  Man I wish I still had my Super Gun and single slot, that was an easy setup.
Cheapest?

Steal one?

J/K

I'd say cheapest would be to get a one-slot and super gun (or make a super gun) and game on from there.

after that you could always upgrad the one-slot to an Omega.

Most expensive as far as CMVS goes would be Analouge.  Great quality, and I love it but a bit pricy....it was one of the few times I ever went with the more high dollar set up. 

then of course the MOST expensive and less likely for most of use now a days would be AES. Which is why my AES just sort of sits there as a unique item that gets almost no use or love.....sigh...tear tear..cry cry..hush hush eye to eye....

BlueBMW

I sold my AES for that very reason.... Most of the games I wanted to play I had on MVS or CD already so the poor AES just sat there unused...  Had to let it go :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Medic_wheat

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/10/2014, 03:09 PMI sold my AES for that very reason.... Most of the games I wanted to play I had on MVS or CD already so the poor AES just sat there unused...  Had to let it go :(
I am THIS close to sell mine off......as I would rather it get some use..maybe as a back up for someone with a AES collectin.

But I keep holding out thinking/hoping a Everdrive AES cart will be made......that would be SO COOL.

I would feel like Doctor Octavious from Spiderman 2 "The power of the sun in the palm of my hands!"

Honestly the ONLY Spiderman movie I liked that had Tobby in it.....

CrackTiger

Same with me. I kept me AES for a while after getting a CMVS, but it just wasn't worth using or dropping a bunch of cash into to get close to the performance of my first CMVS. And that's totally independant of the price/availability between the actual games.

I kept my Neo Geo CD though. It's cool having unique versions of games and worth having just for SSRPG.

ToyMachine78

Are AES consoles and games region locked?

ToyMachine78

NM. Looks like its region free

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 09/16/2014, 09:46 PMNM. Looks like its region free
I believe that a regular unmodded AES system will only play one region's version, even though the full game is in the rom. So if you buy a cheap Japanese version of a game and play it on a North American system you'd wind up with the censored version of the game. Kinda like early Genesis games.

Installing multibios will let you customize the game however you like though.

ToyMachine78

Well looking at getting a system, and about all on eBay are Japanese. I read on a neo geo Faq that they are region Free. Any aes cart will play on any aes. What about MVS to aes? That needs a converter right?

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 09/16/2014, 10:46 PMWell looking at getting a system, and about all on eBay are Japanese. I read on a neo geo Faq that they are region Free. Any aes cart will play on any aes. What about MVS to aes? That needs a converter right?
Yes they need a converter

And double yes on the region locking early posted

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/17/2014, 12:01 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/16/2014, 10:46 PMWell looking at getting a system, and about all on eBay are Japanese. I read on a neo geo Faq that they are region Free. Any aes cart will play on any aes. What about MVS to aes? That needs a converter right?
Yes they need a converter

And double yes on the region locking early posted
OK so Aes JP cant play on AES US?

Ninja16608

Your all wrong, AES will play any cart JP or US. I own both a JP and a US system, Yes both roms are on the cart and the language it plays in is determined by the system (IE. US system English text) the only thing you need a converter for is to play MVS on an AES.

pulstar

As said above, AES and MVS are completely region free, they will default to the language of the BIOS (so if you buy a JP machine and buy a US cart, the game will still be in Japanese). With the MVS converter the same principle applies.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Ninja16608 on 09/17/2014, 01:11 AMYour all wrong, AES will play any cart JP or US. I own both a JP and a US system, Yes both roms are on the cart and the language it plays in is determined by the system (IE. US system English text)...
Isn't that exactly what Black Tiger stated?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

EvilEvoIX

How is this so hard to understand?
IMGIMGIMG

ccovell

Because long sentences and paragraphs confuse certain people.  :-P

Short: "No region lockout; language is a hardware setting."

ToyMachine78

Does the UniBios allow the AES to play MVS carts?