WTB Sega CD Model 1

Started by Medic_wheat, 10/01/2014, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

I need a replacement Sega CD Model 1....

Although I'll consider a Model 2 (w/extension for a Model 1 Genesis) I prefer the classy look of a Model 1 Sega CD. 

My current Sega CD only works when it wants to and at times stops while reading/loading...this had made playing it very frustrating ........  I need me my Sega CD fix! ........

Or a Sega CDX would be better.....but I doubt that will pop up.

HailingTheThings

Look for a JVC X' Eye, they're really cute! I need to get mine fixed up! Eff! Yay!
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/01/2014, 05:22 PMLook for a JVC X' Eye, they're really cute! I need to get mine fixed up! Eff! Yay!
I vaguly remember hearing about these...gray with pastel colors onthe top of the system?

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/01/2014, 05:24 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/01/2014, 05:22 PMLook for a JVC X' Eye, they're really cute! I need to get mine fixed up! Eff! Yay!
I vaguly remember hearing about these...gray with pastel colors onthe top of the system?
IMG
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/02/2014, 01:25 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/01/2014, 05:24 PM
IMG
is it more affordable/reliable then the Model 1/2 Sega CD addons?

Or is the Sega CDX the most reliable model to own?

basically I want to get what ever model that will most likely last the ages......

VenomMacbeth

I really hate to be the naysayer but you are way better off just saving up the $150 a CDX will cost you.  Model 2 CD is fine, if you have the means to set it up with a Model 1 genesis.  Keep your Model 1 CD to look at, because that's about all it's good for considering how prone to irreparable failure they are. Nobody seems to want to fix them, either.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/02/2014, 11:00 AMI really hate to be the naysayer but you are way better off just saving up the $150 a CDX will cost you.  Model 2 CD is fine, if you have the means to set it up with a Model 1 genesis.  Keep your Model 1 CD to look at, because that's about all it's good for considering how prone to irreparable failure they are. Nobody seems to want to fix them, either.
This is what I was starting to realize. Think.

ifkz

Glad I found this post, I think I can help:
I own all of the Sega CD consoles, the best one for longevity is going to be the model 2.

Sega CDX - if you have the means, this is the sexiest way to play either Genesis or Sega CD games.  I always find it amazing at how much smaller it is than the other combo Sega CD options.  The laser inside is just okay at reading through scratches and errors, probably the weakest of the models, but it is such a nice system to own.  Technical:  I own one (from my thrift store days) never serviced and two others I rescued from the grave with new lasers and pot adjustments (and springs, etc.).  Not that easy to work on, but better than the model 1.  Replacement lasers are easy to find.  A few select games are incompatible, but my 'The Terminator' seemed fine on it.

Model 1 - I just rebuilt one and these are very complicated inside, all related to the CD drawer mechanisms. There are three limit kill switches inside, a belt that needs to be replaced, and generally a lot of failure points.  Technical:  I own two complete units, one never serviced (!) and one with parts from the best of two units.  The parts unit had leaky caps on the main logic board that had eaten through some surface mount traces.  Unless you have the technical urge and parts units, avoid.  A plus:  The lasers are of good quality and can read though scratches and errors above average.  My rebuilt unit still makes an odd noise, related to a dirty limit switch (I think) that is going to take a lot of complex disassembly to even start to diagnose.  It is getting much better with use....use it or lose it I guess.

Model 2 - the most reliable of the units.  I have several, two of them upgraded to boxed, all have never needed service.  The lasers inside are of average quality, about like the Sega CDX.  Average ability to read through errors and scratches.  You might get lucky:  one unit out of many had way above average error correction and was internally very different from the rest.  No one has done a comparison of the internal compoinents inside that I know about.

JVC X'Eye - I have one, and have seen others with weird problems.  The first one I dragged home had some odd graphic glitch in Genesis games, others have lid problems.  My unit has been fine.  Plays imports without modification (hello Super Fantasy Zone!).  JP music in the custom Sega CD bios.  Should come with a JVC branded 3 button controller, custom power supply, custom RF adapter.  Technical:  Loads games faster than any other Sega CD.  At its best, I would say almost a third faster!  Mine is still unserviced, so I suppose if you get a good one...

I hope this helps!  Collecting real Sega CD games has just about driven me mad.  These were never respected, so it was not uncommon for me to go through several expensive discs to find one good one that did not have pinholes of light.  The discs do not hold up to wear at all and should be kept in their cases when not played.  If a scratch or pinhole is in an FMV sequence, the game will often crash.  Pinholes are okay in music sequences, however.  Laser calibration is an issue, since these were all done with pots.  I can have a disc that locks up in a Sega CDX but plays fine in a model 2.  Given all of this, the Sega CD still ranks among my favorite consoles ever.  It was  true luxury good that I only experienced a few times prior to picking one up in 1997 in a local thrift store.  Get to know a shop owner with a good resurfacing machine, it is a must!  I also threw away all of the foam blocks that tend to come with more cared for copies of the games.  The foam has degraded over 20 years and had started to stick to the discs.  Since they are so fragile, better safe than sorry (no damage, thankfully).
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

NecroPhile

Quote from: ifkz on 10/02/2014, 11:59 AMSega CDX - if you have the means, this is the sexiest way to play either Genesis or Sega CD games.
LA begs to differ.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Medic_wheat

Yeah ever since I bought my Model 1 at a Goodwill about two years ago, it has been finiky about when it wants to work.

I think it has difficulty knowing when a disk is in the system.  It will keep searching or just not register that a cd was put in....at times it will work, but then lock up when the system needs to load rademly.

So I could get pretty far in Sonic or Snatcher only to be stuck on a load and have to force restart the game.  Then beg the system to register the game is even in it.

I know it is not the games, as I have a friend who has a Model 2 and they play fine.  I still will not loan him a single Sega CD game of my own (they are just becoming to expensive for me to every dare replace I fear) and his kids are in the whole (I want to touch everything and jack up your cds/dvds/blurays) ......

Sounds as though the best option is the Model 2 which is the cheapest option.  For me it was more of an astetic thing that kept me from wanting that model honestly.  I just like the look of the Model 1....personaly..

The Sega CDX although compact looks like it would go flying off the game shelf if I wasn't carefull enough with the controler....although I do plan to pick up a wirless Sega controller some day...but man those are starting to hit the $60 dollar mark.

ifkz

Quote from: guest on 10/02/2014, 12:10 PM
Quote from: ifkz on 10/02/2014, 11:59 AMSega CDX - if you have the means, this is the sexiest way to play either Genesis or Sega CD games.
Dang, I always forget about the LaserActive.  Curses!  No, I don't own every way to play a Sega CD after all!!   ](*,)
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: ifkz on 10/02/2014, 12:19 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/02/2014, 12:10 PM
Dang, I always forget about the LaserActive.  Curses!  No, I don't own every way to play a Sega CD after all!!   ](*,)
Don't forget about those sexy packs

the only two that matter the Sega and TG Pack ......although imagine if you could have had both packs instaled on either side of the LA at the same time?!

IMG

ifkz

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/02/2014, 12:12 PMYeah ever since I bought my Model 1 at a Goodwill about two years ago, it has been finiky about when it wants to work.

I think it has difficulty knowing when a disk is in the system.  It will keep searching or just not register that a cd was put in....at times it will work, but then lock up when the system needs to load rademly.

So I could get pretty far in Sonic or Snatcher only to be stuck on a load and have to force restart the game.  Then beg the system to register the game is even in it.

I know it is not the games, as I have a friend who has a Model 2 and they play fine.  I still will not loan him a single Sega CD game of my own (they are just becoming to expensive for me to every dare replace I fear) and his kids are in the whole (I want to touch everything and jack up your cds/dvds/blurays) ......

Sounds as though the best option is the Model 2 which is the cheapest option.  For me it was more of an astetic thing that kept me from wanting that model honestly.  I just like the look of the Model 1....personaly..

The Sega CDX although compact looks like it would go flying off the game shelf if I wasn't carefull enough with the controler....although I do plan to pick up a wirless Sega controller some day...but man those are starting to hit the $60 dollar mark.
And, I am sure everyone knows, the Sega CDX is not cheap.  Even with broken units, the best I could do was bumping right up to the $100 mark when restored to working order.  Replacing the custom CDX power supply is also a trick in itself if you want an original one (and not one of the Retro Game Cave ones).

I think a Sega CD model two with a Genesis Model 2 looks nice.  If you get a Genesis model 2 be sure to get one of the 'half-sized' mobo later revisions, they are much better than the 'full sized.'

Medic_wheat

Quote from: ifkz on 10/02/2014, 12:23 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/02/2014, 12:12 PMYeah ever since I bought my Model 1 at a Goodwill about two years ago, it has been finiky about when it wants to work.

And, I am sure everyone knows, the Sega CDX is not cheap.  Even with broken units, the best I could do was bumping right up to the $100 mark when restored to working order.  Replacing the custom CDX power supply is also a trick in itself if you want an original one (and not one of the Retro Game Cave ones).

I think a Sega CD model two with a Genesis Model 2 looks nice.  If you get a Genesis model 2 be sure to get one of the 'half-sized' mobo later revisions, they are much better than the 'full sized.'
I am eye banging a CDX that is at a buy it now of $164 with free shipping that actually works and has the power cord (alot of the CDX's seem to be missing the power corde it seems.

ifkz

Wow, I saw it too after a quick search.  You should buy that quick, it's a steal.  Heck, do I need four CDXs...humm.  No, no...yes!...no, no.  (sigh)

DeshDildo

Quote from: ifkz on 10/02/2014, 11:59 AMGlad I found this post, I think I can help:
I own all of the Sega CD consoles, the best one for longevity is going to be the model 2.

Sega CDX - if you have the means, this is the sexiest way to play either Genesis or Sega CD games.  I always find it amazing at how much smaller it is than the other combo Sega CD options.  The laser inside is just okay at reading through scratches and errors, probably the weakest of the models, but it is such a nice system to own.  Technical:  I own one (from my thrift store days) never serviced and two others I rescued from the grave with new lasers and pot adjustments (and springs, etc.).  Not that easy to work on, but better than the model 1.  Replacement lasers are easy to find.  A few select games are incompatible, but my 'The Terminator' seemed fine on it.

Model 1 - I just rebuilt one and these are very complicated inside, all related to the CD drawer mechanisms. There are three limit kill switches inside, a belt that needs to be replaced, and generally a lot of failure points.  Technical:  I own two complete units, one never serviced (!) and one with parts from the best of two units.  The parts unit had leaky caps on the main logic board that had eaten through some surface mount traces.  Unless you have the technical urge and parts units, avoid.  A plus:  The lasers are of good quality and can read though scratches and errors above average.  My rebuilt unit still makes an odd noise, related to a dirty limit switch (I think) that is going to take a lot of complex disassembly to even start to diagnose.  It is getting much better with use....use it or lose it I guess.

Model 2 - the most reliable of the units.  I have several, two of them upgraded to boxed, all have never needed service.  The lasers inside are of average quality, about like the Sega CDX.  Average ability to read through errors and scratches.  You might get lucky:  one unit out of many had way above average error correction and was internally very different from the rest.  No one has done a comparison of the internal compoinents inside that I know about.

JVC X'Eye - I have one, and have seen others with weird problems.  The first one I dragged home had some odd graphic glitch in Genesis games, others have lid problems.  My unit has been fine.  Plays imports without modification (hello Super Fantasy Zone!).  JP music in the custom Sega CD bios.  Should come with a JVC branded 3 button controller, custom power supply, custom RF adapter.  Technical:  Loads games faster than any other Sega CD.  At its best, I would say almost a third faster!  Mine is still unserviced, so I suppose if you get a good one...

I hope this helps!  Collecting real Sega CD games has just about driven me mad.  These were never respected, so it was not uncommon for me to go through several expensive discs to find one good one that did not have pinholes of light.  The discs do not hold up to wear at all and should be kept in their cases when not played.  If a scratch or pinhole is in an FMV sequence, the game will often crash.  Pinholes are okay in music sequences, however.  Laser calibration is an issue, since these were all done with pots.  I can have a disc that locks up in a Sega CDX but plays fine in a model 2.  Given all of this, the Sega CD still ranks among my favorite consoles ever.  It was  true luxury good that I only experienced a few times prior to picking one up in 1997 in a local thrift store.  Get to know a shop owner with a good resurfacing machine, it is a must!  I also threw away all of the foam blocks that tend to come with more cared for copies of the games.  The foam has degraded over 20 years and had started to stick to the discs.  Since they are so fragile, better safe than sorry (no damage, thankfully).
Muchos good information here.  Thank you for sharing.  I grew up with a model 2 Genny but my cousin gave me his CDX in the late 90's some time.  I have never had an issue with the CDX and it has the newest Bios for the CD system.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

HailingTheThings

JVC X' Eye is still best, not only does it buy you a drink first, It totally makes breakfast the morning after. For reals.

IMG
IMG

DeshDildo

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/02/2014, 05:10 PMJVC X' Eye is still best, not only does it buy you a drink first, It totally makes breakfast the morning after. For reals.

IMG
You have no disagreement from me.  I definitely want one.  They are more rare and pricey than even a CDX though.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esadajr

@Ifkz thanks for the info, it's been one of the most educated posts I've seen in a while.

Maybe you know what could be the problem with one of my CDXes. The issue happens when the unit tries to switch to a different audio track.

Let's say I pop Batman Returns and start the music player. If I play tracks sequentially, it works fine. If I switch from track 2 to let's say track 8, it struggles then stops reading the disc. If I try to play the game, it lets me move through the menus (with no music) but it will eternally struggle to switch audio tracks when I start the game and the screen stays black. This happens with games heavy on CD audio tracks (most Sega CD games).

If I put in a game with no CD tracks, (like Sewer Shark) and play it for a while, then switch to a different game, sometimes the unit works fine. It's like it needs to get warm before the lens can move and switch tracks.

Thanks.
Gaming since 1985

ifkz

One of my repaired units sort of did this same thing:  It would recognize the first few seconds of a song, maybe 15 seconds into it and then it would not read anything.  Sometimes it would not read say...track 3, if I skipped to track 4 and then immediately back to track 3 it would recognize it and play 15 seconds of audio before it went into search mode.

The fix for this was to decase it down to the three boards (Sega CD top, Genesis bottom, and the small power board) and then adjust the pots while it is "live."  As it was going through I marked and adjusted the tracking gain "T. Gain" pot.  My other fixed unit has developed a boot issue that I am sure needs the same treatment.

xcrement5x

Quote from: ifkz on 10/02/2014, 12:19 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/02/2014, 12:10 PM
If you want to go crazy there is the Aiwa Mega CD and the WonderMega as well.  ;)

I'm also a huge fan of the system, though at this point I mainly just play on CDRs as well since if I scratched one of my originals I'd never be able to replace it at today's prices.  I would also second the Model 2 as the most reliable unit out there.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Desh on 10/02/2014, 05:19 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/02/2014, 05:10 PMJVC X' Eye is still best, not only does it buy you a drink first, It totally makes breakfast the morning after. For reals.

IMG
You have no disagreement from me.  I definitely want one.  They are more rare and pricey than even a CDX though.
Got mine loose for $85 shipped off amazon over 2 years ago, I believe. The GeneMega Cart slot is iffy, probably dirty idk, 1st player controller port is weird sometimes, like it didn't wish me a happy birthday last year, can you believe that? And the 2nd controller port is icky with weird statue of liberty copper greening corosion or something and I don't even know what that means TeeBeeEhch. Eff. lol I should really get it up to top working order, but it does the jobbes fine...... For nowzers, I suppose, mwahahaha MewMewMew.
IMG

Medic_wheat

UPDATE

Ended up getting a CDX.

Still looking for a model one sega cd in working order

Got another model one genesis that needs a model one cd to look pimping

DeshDildo

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/02/2014, 11:36 PM
Quote from: Desh on 10/02/2014, 05:19 PM

IMG
Got mine loose for $85 shipped off amazon over 2 years ago, I believe. The GeneMega Cart slot is iffy, probably dirty idk, 1st player controller port is weird sometimes, like it didn't wish me a happy birthday last year, can you believe that? And the 2nd controller port is icky with weird statue of liberty copper greening corosion or something and I don't even know what that means TeeBeeEhch. Eff. lol I should really get it up to top working order, but it does the jobbes fine...... For nowzers, I suppose, mwahahaha MewMewMew.
You lucky fur ball.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/09/2014, 05:44 PMUPDATE

Ended up getting a CDX.

Be patient and watch EBay. Last fall I bought a model 1 Genny with mod 1 CD unit, two controllers, and an arcade stick for $30 + $27 shipping. Great freakin deal.

I sold the CD unit though. I found the games to be very unappealing.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 10/09/2014, 06:43 PM

Ended up getting a CDX.

Be patient and watch EBay. Last fall I bought a model 1 Genny with mod 1 CD unit, two controllers, and an arcade stick for $30 + $27 shipping. Great freakin deal.

Can do.  Now that I can play my sega cd games at will

ifkz

Great deal!  What do you think about the CDX?  Any issues with it thus far?

OT:  One game with a really surprising soundtrack (and unknown compared to, say, Flashback) I found recently was Pitfall the Mayan Adventure.  Anyhow, have fun!

VenomMacbeth

I love my CDX.  Reads discs super quick & looks spiffy to boot. :) works great with the 32x, too...but doesn't look quite as spiffy.  I am curious about what kind of sound hardware it has, though.  I've yet to compare it to my models 1 or 2.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

xcrement5x

Ended up getting a CDX.

I think you must have been playing the wrong games, there are some awesome ones on the Sega CD.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Medic_wheat

41 Sega CD games that would make my library complete. N

Android Assualt
Dark Wizard     :-#
Dungeon Explorer   
Earthworm Jim: Special Edition   
Fatal Fury Special    :-#
Final Fight CD   
Flink   
Heart Of The Alien: Out of this World Parts I and II.  :-#
Hook    :-#
Keio Flying Squadron    :-#
Lethal Enforcers   
Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters
Lords of Thundar  :-#
Lunar II: Eternal Blue   
Lunar: The Silver Star   
Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse
Mortal Kombat   
NBA Jam
Night Trap    :-#
Novastorm   
Pitfall  :-#
Popful Mail: Magical Fantasy Adventure
Prince of Persia     :-#
Revenge of the Ninja    :-#
Road Rash       :-#
Robo Aleste   
Samurai Showdown  :-#
The Secret of Monkey Island   :-#
Shadow of the Beast II  :-#
Shining Force CD  :-#
Silpheed   
Snatcher   
Sol-Feace   :-#
Sonic CD
Soul Star   
The Space Adventure   
Star Wars Chess     :-#
Starblade
The Terminator      :-#
Time Gal    :-#
Vay   

Happy to say I am only missing 18 from my personal recommend list.  Mind you I can trim this down by two more seeing how I have both Neo Geo games listed in their MVS form.

xcrement5x

That is a solid list, but I would get Sewer Shark and Ground Zero Texas as well because they are pretty fun games even if they are FMV laden.  I might be able to help you out on a couple of those outstanding ones, will try and check my basement.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2014, 11:45 AMThat is a solid list, but I would get Sewer Shark and Ground Zero Texas as well because they are pretty fun games even if they are FMV laden.  I might be able to help you out on a couple of those outstanding ones, will try and check my basement.
Sweet

Dont expect any flying squadron but any help is good

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 10/09/2014, 10:08 PM

Ended up getting a CDX.

I think you must have been playing the wrong games, there are some awesome ones on the Sega CD.
You may be right. I had Eye of the Beholder, Dark Wizard, Dune, and the shooter where you are injected in the dudes body.... Forget the name.

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2014, 01:15 AM

Ended up getting a CDX.

You may be right. I had Eye of the Beholder, Dark Wizard, Dune, and the shooter where you are injected in the dudes body.... Forget the name.
You NEEEEEEEEEEED to play Popful Mail.  Even if it is just a burn.

It is one of my favorite SegaCD games (if the world hasn't figured that out by now) and the WD localization is great.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2014, 01:56 AM

Ended up getting a CDX.

It is one of my favorite SegaCD games (if the world hasn't figured that out by now) and the WD localization is great.
I wanted to, but too expensive.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2014, 02:10 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/11/2014, 01:56 AM

Ended up getting a CDX.

I wanted to, but too expensive.
Thats the goodnthing eith sega cd saturn and dreamcast. Oh and TG-16 cd games. You can byrn the ganes in a cd to play.  Really lets you try before you buy.